Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:31:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory 0.95 is out  (Read 9247 times)
visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 02:57:17 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2016, 03:12:28 PM by visdude

1. You mean rebuild the Armory database from scratch?
2. --dbdir has the same effect as --datadir, right?

1) Yes

2) No. The datadir is where your wallets, logs and setting files are, as well as where the /databases folder defaults to. --dbdir forces the the db folder to the path of your choosing.

ArmoryDB insists on still creating "dblog.txt" file in the default "Armory" folder location (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Armory) in spite of the arg that specifies the alternate directory. It was crashing on me the way it did because it needs the presence of an Armory folder at the default location to be able to create dblog.txt in it. Otherwise, it refuses to proceed.

Perhaps it can be fixed in 0.95.1 if it's not too late so it will be consistent (along with the rest of the files) when opting to move the Armory database folder to a different location.

Thanks for the assistance.

Log files do not go in the dbdir. If you want to use a custom datadir and a custom dbdir, use both command line arguments together. You do not need to provide the DB with the same datadir as the client, i.e. it doesn't need the wallets, settings and other log files to operate.

However, the db needs a valid datadir (it won't create it for you). There isn't much I can change here. The issue you were experiencing with the log file is simply the first failure in line when the db lacks a valid datadir. Side stepping that one will only bump you to the next failure.

If you do not want to point the DB to the same datadir as the client, you can start the db directly with --datadir="/newpath" and it will set the db by default to /newpath/databases. If you let the client spawn the DB for you, the client will always push its own datadir to the DB, in which case you may want to use a custom dbdir.

datadir, --datadir, dbdir, --dbdir, custom datadir, custom dbdir, DB, client, etc. I'm even more confused.

Anyway, here's what I got and what I have experienced:

My ArmoryQt shorcut arg: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe" --satoshi-datadir="D:\BitcoinData\Bitcoin" --datadir="D:\ArmoryData\Armory". The contents of the "Armory" folder on this alternate path are the "databases" folder, armorycpplog.txt, armorylog.txt, ArmorySettings.txt and my watchonly wallet files.

With the above setup, ArmoryQt runs just fine and properly spawns ArmoryDB but with a caveat: an "Armory" folder must still exist at the default location (i.e. C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Armory) because it insists on having the "dblog.txt" file reside there in spite of the arg that specifies the alternate directory/location. Otherwise, it hangs as before.

I can live with it. I have a functional Armory after all but it would be nice to have it create and look for the "dblog.txt" file in the alternate "Armory" folder location as defined in the shortcut arg above; where it should reside together with the rest of the log files. Is there anything I can change in or add to my shortcut arg to achieve this? If not, no biggie. It's not pretty but I can live with it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 03:13:57 PM

With the above setup, ArmoryQt runs just fine and properly spawns ArmoryDB but with a caveat: an "Armory" folder must still exist at the default location (i.e. C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Armory) because it insists on having the "dblog.txt" file reside there. Otherwise, it hangs as before.

That's quite a different situation here from what I had understood. Are you saying the DB won't put its log file in the explicit datadir? That's a bug, not a design choice. I'll try to reproduce on my end and fix it for the point release.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 04:37:58 PM

Pushed the fixes for 0.95.1 in dev. People who've had issues, please build and try. Looking to release tomorrow or Monday.

Whonix is fixed for me. Coin control is improved, but not fixed.

First pick from a multi input address respects the users choice (which is fixed compared to previous behaviour). Changing one's mind after hitting accepts reveals the bug, and it seems similar to before: all the inputs from the address of the intended selected input appear to get selected, but quickly scrolling down the list shows that not quite all the inputs in fact are selected. It seems that random inputs (only at the same address as any inputs picked originally by the user) are left unselected, but whether that does really conform to some pattern I can't say.

Vires in numeris
visdude
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 07:53:19 PM

With the above setup, ArmoryQt runs just fine and properly spawns ArmoryDB but with a caveat: an "Armory" folder must still exist at the default location (i.e. C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Armory) because it insists on having the "dblog.txt" file reside there. Otherwise, it hangs as before.

That's quite a different situation here from what I had understood. Are you saying the DB won't put its log file in the explicit datadir? That's a bug, not a design choice. I'll try to reproduce on my end and fix it for the point release.

Correct. The DB won't put its log file (dblog.txt) in the explicit datadir (which I usually refer to as the alternate location/directory/path) as specified in the arg. Furthermore, if it cannot detect an "Armory" folder still at the default location to put the dblog.txt file into, that's when it hangs. It requires it.

goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 07:58:39 PM

First pick from a multi input address respects the users choice (which is fixed compared to previous behaviour). Changing one's mind after hitting accepts reveals the bug, and it seems similar to before: all the inputs from the address of the intended selected input appear to get selected, but quickly scrolling down the list shows that not quite all the inputs in fact are selected. It seems that random inputs (only at the same address as any inputs picked originally by the user) are left unselected, but whether that does really conform to some pattern I can't say.

Correct. The DB won't put its log file (dblog.txt) in the explicit datadir (which I usually refer to as the alternate location/directory/path) as specified in the arg. Furthermore, if it cannot detect an "Armory" folder still at the default location to put the dblog.txt file into, that's when it hangs. It requires it.

Both these should be fixed in dev, please test and report.

visdude
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 08:08:19 PM

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the procedure. Do you mean test for the bug in the next release and report accordingly? Please elaborate.

goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 08:14:32 PM

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the procedure. Do you mean test for the bug in the next release and report accordingly? Please elaborate.

I mean pull the code from dev, build from source and test for the bug again. If you can't build from source, you're left with crossing your fingers and waiting for the next build.

visdude
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 08:27:58 PM

I mean pull the code from dev, build from source and test for the bug again. If you can't build from source, you're left with crossing your fingers and waiting for the next build.

It would have to be the latter (crossing fingers) as I don't know how to pull code from dev let alone build from source.

goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 08:31:09 PM

https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/blob/dev/windowsbuild/Windows_build_notes.md

There are some minimal instructions here if you'd like to spend the day battling it =D

visdude
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 01:02:47 AM

https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/blob/dev/windowsbuild/Windows_build_notes.md

There are some minimal instructions here if you'd like to spend the day battling it =D

I'm very interested to learn once I can devote some time to it. Currently, I'm hardly getting by just trying to re-familiarize myself with a Linux install I tinkered around with late last year (a futile attempt to learn) so I can figure out how to generate wallet addresses for that new over-hyped/overpriced crypto that just launched whose initial price dropped about 70% already. I'm hoping to fire up my old boxes and mine some hoping to catch the tail end of the dump.  Grin

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 02:09:04 AM
Last edit: October 31, 2016, 02:27:47 AM by Carlton Banks

You've got the coin control fixed, given it a fair amount of testing now. Wallet filter in the main tx window is broken for me.

A few minor things; dbLog.txt didn't get created while I was testing the Db building with Whonix/Qubes. That drew my attention to the progress bars: headers stage is too indecisive/imprecise in it's estimates, and the Tx hash resolution stage has a kind of crazy strobe effect as well as supremely eccentric estimates (started at 10 seconds, stayed there for 10 seconds, stayed at 1 second for a minute etc). One last minor: uncommented tx's used to inherit the label of the address they're associated with instead of just being fully blank.

Vires in numeris
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 09:30:43 PM

Great, I just realized my response was never posted, thanks to the DDoS episode.

A few minor things; dbLog.txt didn't get created while I was testing the Db building with Whonix/Qubes.

The first line the db outputs in the terminal is the db log path. Double check against that and let me know.

That drew my attention to the progress bars: headers stage is too indecisive/imprecise in it's estimates, and the Tx hash resolution stage has a kind of crazy strobe effect as well as supremely eccentric estimates (started at 10 seconds, stayed there for 10 seconds, stayed at 1 second for a minute etc).

The progress bars were designed in 0.92 when the DB was much slower. I did not change anything to the underlying ETA code, just plugged it into the existing code. I will have overhaul that stuff at some point. Not a priority right now though.

One last minor: uncommented tx's used to inherit the label of the address they're associated with instead of just being fully blank.

That and the other minor features that were not replicated in this version will be fixed in 0.95.2.

For now, I have one user reporting a crash. I am waiting on his input in order to fix that one, then I'll release 0.95.1

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 12:14:57 PM

The first line the db outputs in the terminal is the db log path. Double check against that and let me know.

Yes, that happens reliably. My description was inadequate: I tested the Db build using Whonix, and dbLog.txt was'n't created that test-run, but was created the next time I ran Armory. Because using the Linux tail command with dbLog.txt is the best way to view the Db build progress, I'm double certain that it wasn't created during that 1st test run, despite that being otherwise successful.

The progress bars were designed in 0.92 when the DB was much slower. I did not change anything to the underlying ETA code, just plugged it into the existing code. I will have overhaul that stuff at some point. Not a priority right now though.

Yep, I was expecting wacky behaviour, seeing as you warned us about that.

That and the other minor features that were not replicated in this version will be fixed in 0.95.2.

For now, I have one user reporting a crash. I am waiting on his input in order to fix that one, then I'll release 0.95.1

Looking forward to it all. Hail goatpig, etc.

Vires in numeris
OtisG

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 11:11:22 PM

Howdy,
I need help please.

I installed the new BitCoin Core v0.13.1 with no problems at all. 
Runs great.

The problem is the new Armory 0.95.

I installed the Armory 0.95 update (long time Armory user), but the "Initialize Bitcoin Engine" is just spinning.
It never gets to "Build Databases" or "Scan Transaction History"
I've let it run 8hrs to no effect, so definitely not working correctly.
I see that it has successfully spawned BitcoinD under task manager.
This is running under Windows 7 x64 bit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
OtisG

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6531

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2016, 11:21:22 PM

Howdy,
I need help please.

Runs great.

I installed the Armory 0.95 update (long time Armory user), but the "Initialize Bitcoin Engine" is just spinning.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
OtisG

Armory 0.95 build for Windows was messed up. You can downgrade to 0.94.1, grab the guardian.exe file from 0.94.1 and put it in the installation folder for Armory, or run Bitcoin Core without Armory management. To run without Armory management, start Armory and go to File > Settings and uncheck "Let armory manage bitcoin core". Then start Bitcoin Core and restart Armory.

OtisG

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 11:56:44 PM

Howdy,
I need help please.

Runs great.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
OtisG

Armory 0.95 build for Windows was messed up. You can downgrade to 0.94.1, grab the guardian.exe file from 0.94.1 and put it in the installation folder for Armory, or run Bitcoin Core without Armory management. To run without Armory management, start Armory and go to File > Settings and uncheck "Let armory manage bitcoin core". Then start Bitcoin Core and restart Armory.

Thanks for your quick reply!

I unchecked the management options.  Launching Armory without Bitcoin Core management launches ArmoryDB which then crashes 5 seconds later.
Instead of that option, I've downgraded Armory back to 0.93.3 where I was before.

Are the Windows 7 related issues expected to be resolved in 0.95.1?  I sure hope so.  I have cold storage coin, so this is very important for me.

OtisG
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2016, 11:59:21 PM

Thanks for your quick reply!

I unchecked the management options.  Launching Armory without Bitcoin Core management launches ArmoryDB which then crashes 5 seconds later.
Instead of that option, I've downgraded Armory back to 0.93.3 where I was before.
You should use 0.94.1 instead.

Can you provide the log file?

Are the Windows 7 related issues expected to be resolved in 0.95.1?  I sure hope so.  I have cold storage coin, so this is very important for me.

OtisG
It should be fixed. However, if this is a new issue, we need to know so that it can be fixed ASAP.

OtisG

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 12:08:18 AM

Sure - are you referring to uploading Armoryqt.exe.log ?

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2016, 12:11:25 AM

The file from File > Export Log File.

OtisG

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 12:27:57 AM

The file from File > Export Log File.

Got the file. What's the best way to get it to you.  I don't see a file upload option among the icons under the reply option.
OtisG
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: