Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 10:01:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas to Fix Terracoin  (Read 913 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 01:54:17 AM

There are some smart members of the community here- lets talk shop about what we can do to fix Terracoin. It's a clone of bitcoin, we know that- and we have an opportunity to experiment with a real 'live' chain. There are obviously polarising views regarding the difficulty retargeting: what do people think about what should be done?

more or less retired.
Vuxil

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 02:18:10 AM

I'm not invested in TRC at all so I don't really care what happens, but couldn't you all just wait for difficulty to go back down and start trading and mining as normal?
Deprived

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 02:26:11 AM

How about whoever the developer(s) are come and introduce themselves and ask for advice if they want it?

Seems noone seems to want to own up to being responsible for it.  For all we know the developer(s) have already worked out how to fix the problem and are developing a patch.

Think most people prefer to speak to the mechanic rather than the greasy rag.
xorxor

Activity: 476
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 02:34:10 AM

geometric difficulty adjustment every block. or in other words : learn from PPC.

and now what can be done? only update of client with new adjustment starting from a fixed value not and calculating forward only, ton taking into consideration current diff.

fuck deeponion, fuck bitcoincash, all glory to one BITCOIN
modcom

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 02:38:41 AM

Where can I find what the next Diff change is and when it will occur???

spacegoat

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

We are connected. you are me I am you.

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 02:46:50 AM

so what are the odds terracoin gets fixed in the next 48 hours?

yeah baby yeah
xorxor

Activity: 476
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:04:58 AM

so what are the odds terracoin gets fixed in the next 48 hours?

almost zero.

2 ways :

1. somebody points enormous  hashpower to TRC , that would be at not only low profitability but also unknown precisely. unlikely

2. a fix is made, 51% users update, pools update, exchanges update. impossible

fuck deeponion, fuck bitcoincash, all glory to one BITCOIN
spacegoat

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:08:26 AM

great.  jusssst great.

so this is the end for terracoin?  hey we should put a bounty together for the fix to come earlier so we can get trading on btc-e

I'll put in .1 BTC bounty for anyone who fixes Terracoin

I went all in on terracoin, so it would just be a crying shame to lose everything. 

yeah baby yeah
pyra-proxy

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:13:40 AM

There are some smart members of the community here- lets talk shop about what we can do to fix Terracoin. It's a clone of bitcoin, we know that- and we have an opportunity to experiment with a real 'live' chain. There are obviously polarising views regarding the difficulty retargeting: what do people think about what should be done?

Difficulty retargetting - retarget every block but use a rolling average block time over some last X reasonable block count, say last 120 ish blocks.

spacegoat

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:22:12 AM

I got 4 of 6 confirmations for a transaction FINALLY

does that mean its somewhat fixed>?

I can't quite wrap my head around the targetting difficultything.  for now if I can make a transaction it works. 

4 of 6 confirmations.... does that mean that it's fixed?

yeah baby yeah
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 03:22:23 AM

I'm glad I sold all my TRC last week, even if I only got a third of what I paid for them.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 04:05:40 AM

Just a quick thought:

Perhaps not much is needed, just a small tweak to render the BTC AISC unable to hash TRC with full efficiency.

The tweak would need to be unique enough to avoid a simple software patch in the mining software that would allow full hash power back to a BTC ASIC.

One needs to find a way of turning the ASIC strength against itself, namely that is designed purely for the BTC implementation of the SHA-256 standard.

This problem will not only be unique to TRC. Any BTC ASIC owner who has a dislike for Alt-coins could disrupt any of the younger SHA-256 coins.

Just a suggestion as to a direction to be thinking. I will throw it in there with the rest of my thought process, but I honestly have a handful with the explorers on top of finishing the new pool. Since the utter explosion of alt-coin popularity today, I have had a hard time keeping the explorers up.

rampone

Activity: 339
Merit: 250

dafq is goin on

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 04:16:34 AM

Oh, so the people securing the network and transactions were only there to gain more BTC than mining BTC directly.... what does it tell you about that altcoin....

http://virwox.com - Bitcoins via CCard, Skrill, paysafe, paypal & SEPA
Convert your bitcoin into spendable fiat money in less than 2 days. Poker Players use this method to avoid "unnecessary trouble" with the country they live in ... PM me for details. +1:naz86,b4nana,tinua,smart1986,fhh
spacegoat

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 04:31:02 AM

it says alot of things.

anybody want to send me .1 TRC to see if the confirmations work wallet to wallet.  btc-e isn't registering all my deposit even though it had 6 confirmations.

let me know if you've sent it and I will confirm

15dW3CbiDGLaXomV9wq88o1JA5JGViXU6N

yeah baby yeah
TsuyokuNaritai

Activity: 574

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 05:15:25 AM

I went all in on terracoin, so it would just be a crying shame to lose everything.

This is why you should never go all-in on one altcoin, just like you would never keep all your coins in one exchange.

collapse

Activity: 206
Merit: 102

step forward

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:12:04 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2013, 09:09:32 AM by collapse

I don't know well code but one idea:

Delay entry in mining for new/not mining nodes.

Average time in network (in blocks) while re-target < X      =>     accept only Z blocks
Average Mining time in network (in blocks) while re-target > X    =>      allow increment of y% in accepted blocks

In other words, limit number of blocks accepted from a node based in previous power used in network, while re-target.

Elacoin-ELC,Betacoin-BET,Neutroncoin-NTRN,Americancoin-AMC,Stronghands-SHND,Craftcoin-CRC,DOGE,BCH,BTC,...,Bitcoin,...(and a lot more)
Linux updated wallets (source code) for: ELC, BET, AMC, NKT, SLING, CRC,...
[if (blocknumber > 115000) maxblocksize=largerlimit]   [I don't think the threshold should ever be 0.  We should always allow at least some free transactions.]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: