Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:05:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Gox under ddos attack?  (Read 3348 times)
aeroSpike (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:35:03 PM

I noticed Mt Gox is off line. An hour or so ago it was responding very sluggishly and at one point it returned an error message saying it was under a ddos attack. Anybody knows more about this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stic.man

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:36:29 PM

i just know i can't access it
Drifter

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:36:41 PM

He's working on it right now.

airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:41:41 PM

No error comes up for me.  It just doesn't load.

IDK where mtgox is located, but with a community like our's I can see where it would be hard to figure out a time to do any server maintenance.  People from all over the world are here so there's no standard timezone.

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:41:47 PM

Anybody knows more about this?

- http://support.mtgox.com/entries/20192703-ddos-in-progress-2011-06-14

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

NO_SLAVE

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:42:25 PM

obviously Magictux is skilled, but I have to question;  is he skilled enough to withstand an entire world of hackers attacking the exchange that handles 90% of btc market?
The attacks I'm sure are constant.   Alot of faith in anonymous people goes with owning BTC!
AreYouCereal

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:43:56 PM

makes you wonder who would be behind such attacks as I doubt the usual perpetrators of ddos such as anonymous have anything against bitcoin.

In fact dont they take their donations in bitcoin.
Feds maybe? or will I get my tinfoil hat Grin

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [D]ecentralized application [E]liminated third parties [C]ontent distribution
  █ DECENT FOUNDATION    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░   JOIN NOW! ICO ⏰ 10th of September
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [E]ncrypted & secure         [N]o borders                  [T]imeless reputation
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:47:21 PM

Just when people were about to trade again

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
yeponlyone

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:49:18 PM

This is PRECISELY one of the reasons it is so important for bitcoin that we diversify, USE OTHER EXCHANGERS! not that i think this is anything more than a ddos, but if mtgox is destroyed by hackers/government/whoever, then somewhere around 100m bitcoin could be lost, there is always the backdoor chance that mtgox is offered some large sum of money to push the 'delete' button. how many people here would fly to japan to look for some guy who they don't know who probably left the country, and if you find him, what then? tell im he's nothing but a big jerk? DIVERSIFY people, our biggest exchange should be WAY below 50% of the market, not hovering around 90%. You all look like the same gathering sheep you call the fiaters. I'm not promoting a specific alternative exchange, i am supporting many many many alternatives. Think people, please, for the love of bitcoin! Just THINK! reason it out, don't take my word for it, weigh the reasons and make a choice, don't just see a crowd and do as they do. THINK! what are your reasons for using gox? and what are reasons not to use mt gox?
Superform

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:51:23 PM

i dont think this is a ddos attack, i think its just people hitting refresh

more people need to use a service like http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/ticker/
Mark Oates

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:52:18 PM

Is it reasonable to suspect that this is simply too much traffic/interest in the site, and not an attack?
stic.man

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:52:23 PM

maybe make your own exchange if you're going to complain

i don't have the skill to do so, so i'm not going to complain about the lack of viable alternatives.
Djao

Activity: 208

Risk-hedging platform for cryptocurrency investors

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 01:57:07 PM

btw it's funny or maybe frightening to see all the other existing exchanges grinding to a halt as soon as Gox is offline ...

http://www.bitcoinmonitor.com/

aeroSpike (OP)

Activity: 41

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 02:00:56 PM

Is it reasonable to suspect that this is simply too much traffic/interest in the site, and not an attack?

This is what I am getting bakc now.
Loadavg too high due to ddos, please retry in ~5 min

So it does indeed seem to be a ddos attack
Gregers

Activity: 24

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 02:05:15 PM

It's certainly reason for concern if that's what it really is. If even Mastercard and Visa can't withstand such attacks, then I doubt something like Mt. Gox is going to, and the greater the potential damage, the more people seem drawn to attacks like this. I wonder if this is going to make people worried enough to abandon the currency if it continues and there are no alternatives.
Mark Oates

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 02:08:14 PM

A theory I have is that, since all of the hubub from last weekend (and the thursday/friday leading up to it) that many people may have finally had their transactions cleared this morning.

I had money going into bank > dwolla > gox that started on thursday and didn't clear until yesterday.  Friday+over the weekend may have cleared this morning.
yeponlyone

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 02:18:31 PM

maybe make your own exchange if you're going to complain

i don't have the skill to do so, so i'm not going to complain about the lack of viable alternatives.

Good point. Maybe I will, but in the meantime i will continue to use other exchanges available, instead of huddling around one site.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 04:28:15 PM

I love how just as I go to the site to confirm this (and it turns out to be down)...

I return to THIS site... and find it down too....

Same for InstaWallet.

My, things are getting interesting.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Bazil

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:45:36 PM

Seems like to me some of it's still down.  I can't connect to the https://mtgox.com/code/data/getDepth.php file with my ticker script.  Although I can see the file if I connect directly to it.

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
pokermon919

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:43:20 PM

obviously Magictux is skilled, but I have to question;  is he skilled enough to withstand an entire world of hackers attacking the exchange that handles 90% of btc market?
The attacks I'm sure are constant.   Alot of faith in anonymous people goes with owning BTC!

I'm sure he has hired a full staff
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: