Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 05:20:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Amir Taaki needs to stop talking about bitcoins  (Read 10651 times)
yolo2222

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:01:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbkxRbTEgoE

I found this video. Let me just say, Amir Takki is a great developer but he can't go talking about and I probably paraphrasing "...it is bringing money laundering from big people to the common people..". This is exactly what type of labels we don't want on bitcoins. Everyone needs to stay away from the "launder" word. Also he talked about how "3-d printing guns" is the way to solve issues with fraud in the bitcoin world. He is a complete rebel, and should not be affiliated with the community. The host even at one point basically had to treat him like a kid and tell him to wait his turn. He is using words that would scare people away. Amir is a great developer, he knows how bitcoin is the future and his passion is amazing. Just the way he presents himself is a little far from what we need in the community to be our voice.

Actually no.

Aside from his visual presentation (which I guess he has his own slightly odd style.. but w/e) his delivery and answers were spot on in this interview. If this is how he can handle public speaking in front of a camera with an earpiece and in the face of heat from three other people, I don't mind it if he takes over every single interview ever done about Bitcoin.

He did an awesome job in this interview. That's right, awesome job.

Totally agree.

Ill sign that!

For the grumpy Guys: have a little respect for this guy, if you talk about him in such ways you obviously are not into bitcoin for longer than a month or two. Or simply are not getting the full picture yet. For which some of you ofcourse cant be accused as braincells dont come free.

Im getting the feeling that this forum is growing to a place full of scammers and uninformed people.

And to the people debating what he is wearing: are you retarded? Cool
Amir's and the words of the Indian guy were worth gold so I did not even pay a glimpse of attention to it, in opposite of that other guy who dressed up like a priest.

Although Amirs haircut struck me first, its peacocking and quickly forgotten once conversation starts.

Amir +1 !! Thank you

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 02:11:38 PM

I found this video. Let me just say, Amir Takki is a great developer but he can't go talking about and I probably paraphrasing "...it is bringing money laundering from big people to the common people..". This is exactly what type of labels we don't want on bitcoins. Everyone needs to stay away from the "launder" word. Also he talked about how "3-d printing guns" is the way to solve issues with fraud in the bitcoin world. He is a complete rebel, and should not be affiliated with the community. The host even at one point basically had to treat him like a kid and tell him to wait his turn. He is using words that would scare people away. Amir is a great developer, he knows how bitcoin is the future and his passion is amazing. Just the way he presents himself is a little far from what we need in the community to be our voice.

I think he did fine.  He is not the button down representation of bitcoin.  He is the wake up call representation of bitcoin.  Bitcoin has all kinds of users from lawyers and bankers to prostitutes and drug dealers.  Also, honest people use it too*.  

*(sorry, I did not mean to imply that prostitutes and drug dealers are not honest)

Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 02:22:30 PM

I'm afraid that he's becoming the next Richard Stallman-like extremist. I wanted to talk to him about this in January at UNsystem Bitcoin Conference Preview, but he seemed to be busy. And I have learnt before that it's not a good idea to argue with orgs while the event is still ongoing Smiley
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 02:50:42 PM

This isn't exactly what I thought about while writing my post... and now I cannot push it out of my head... again. :/
Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:53:23 PM

I dont agree associating bitcoin with anarchist .

Yes Amir is a nut job. I'm not into btc because of what he said. (money laundering, printing guns.... )

I'm ashamed to let my friends watch this interview. They probably think i want to rebel as well.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:01:11 PM

I think he did fine.  He is not the button down representation of bitcoin.  He is the wake up call representation of bitcoin.  Bitcoin has all kinds of users from lawyers and bankers to prostitutes and drug dealers.  Also, honest people use it too*.  

*(sorry, I did not mean to imply that prostitutes and drug dealers are not honest)

bwahahahaha. Cheesy
wingding

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:06:32 PM

Amir speaks for himself. So nobody needs to stop him. Al Jazeera can interview who they like. But I agree with ts that it is not fair that bitcoins should be associated with crimes. And I agree with Amir that the largest criminals of today are found amongst bankers and politicians.
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:10:24 PM

the woman doing the interview is hot

that is all..

server
Legendary

Activity: 892

1 BTC =1 BTC

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:11:08 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2013, 03:21:18 PM by server

+1

He will not be taken seriously looking like that with weird punk hair style.

Ppl don't listen what he has to say, they just see... a weird radical punk...

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:14:17 PM

someone made a great argument the other day defending the roughness of the Satoshi client. 

there's a certain appeal to a relatively underdeveloped, industrialized, new technology.  i could say the same thing about the Avalon, mtgox, and Bitcoin Android Wallet.

as well as Amir.

that's fine with me cuz that's what keeps what "appears" to be a bubble price truly a rational one.

just wait til you have the likes of Lloyd Blankfein or Jamie Dimon commenting on Bitcoin.
richie88

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:31:13 PM

I wish he'd wear a shirt. As shallow as it is, appearance makes a world of difference to the general public.

Not quite sure if I should laugh at you or cry for you...

If you want btc to be a success, at some point you are going to have to interact with normals i'm afraid. Looking homeless isn't going to cut it
niner

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

You are here ---------> but you're not all there.

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 03:40:38 PM

It's good to see this guy Amir show some emotion.
Did you see the guy in the suit cringe?
If the media eventually want to play the money laundering/terrorist
card against bitcoin they'll find a way with or without Amir.

Ⓑ Ⓘ Ⓣ Ⓒ Ⓞ Ⓘ Ⓝ 1NMBixVgJyA63MExRuChcxjhKAW1QkvZU4
digital49ers.com   bitcoin.de   Alt Coins: CryptsyVircurex
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:44:08 PM

I wish he'd wear a shirt. As shallow as it is, appearance makes a world of difference to the general public.

Not quite sure if I should laugh at you or cry for you...

If you want btc to be a success, at some point you are going to have to interact with normals i'm afraid. Looking homeless isn't going to cut it

normals?  Cheesy FFS, just shut up, will you?  Roll Eyes
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:58:01 PM

People should clearly start a "Bitcoin goverment" which governs people who use or talk about bitcoin. With violence.

VforVictory

Activity: 280

V for Victory or Rather JustV8

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:00:17 PM

Apparently Bitcoin made Amir too poor to afford proper clothes...yuck.
Meatpile

Activity: 277

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:14:35 PM

I like his rough appearance, it shows any random asshole who put some effort in and made an exchance did well at it, isnt that the whole spirit of decentralized whatever?

And how could you not see the connection between the 3d printed gun story? The whole point is that the regulation for assault rifles is telling you you cant have a PIECE OF SPECIALLY SHAPED PLASTIC. And the technology of 3d printing lets any random asshole make his own "shaped plastic" however impractical he wants
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:24:11 PM

What are you talking about?

He did a great job, simply because he said the truth. Who cares about how he was dressing?

Bitcoin is a REVOLUTION that gives FREEDOM to people. This is the reality, and the fundamental REASON WHY of Bitcoin.

The guy in the interview understood this very well, and expressed it in a perfect way. Kudos for him.

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:26:32 PM

This interview actually wen't quite well, especially compared to the previous ones I remember, but I must agree that his appearance may scare some people away from perceiving Bitcoin as a positive thing.

So stop complaining.

Signature space available for rent.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:30:04 PM

This interview actually wen't quite well, especially compared to the previous ones I remember, but I must agree that his appearance may scare some people away from perceiving Bitcoin as a positive thing.

The same old suit-and-tie motherfuckers who actually run the economy scare a lot of people too.

The crucial point is that Bitcoin is a revolutionary idea. This guy explained VERY WELL the fundamentals. If you are scared by a guy wearing a "mohawk", regardless of what he is saying, then maybe freedom - and Bitcoin - is not for you.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:36:56 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2013, 04:51:11 PM by Matthew N. Wright

I find the entire concept of "stopping Amir from talking about Bitcoin" to be ridiculous and insulting (despite the fact that I think he was improperly dressed for the occasion unless he was wellknown in the world for dressing like that. You wouldn't bitch if Lady Gaga was on TV dressed like that talking about Bitcoin, would you?).

Along the lines of how insulting this is, you think I'm gonna let the libertard cultists here keep me from talking to Korean press when they ask me about Bitcoins just because a handful of talking heads here have a negative opinion about me? Bitcoin is like the internet and it's open to everyone. Everyone should know about it, and everyone has their own idea about. Let them learn for 10 years if they have to (it took longer than that for the internet to catch on). If you're worried about it causing problems for you personally, that either means you're interested in Bitcoin primarily as a get rich scheme, you're weak minded and think that Bitcoin can't survive on its own merits, or you're just overly emotional about something that the very creator of which deemed "highly experimental".

If you didn't like something about Amir's presence, send him a PM on Skype as a friend and give him a suggestion. This is how human beings learn. Talking shit on a forum about another human because you aren't happy with their representation of your highly speculative investment is no one's problem but yours.

As for Bitcoin itself, there is nothing to worry about, if Bitcoin will work, it will work in your lifetime. Enjoy the novelty of being involved in it in its infancy and stop worrying about things you don't agree with so much. To me, it's not the people who make mistakes (myself included) that hurt bitcoin, it's the cultists who are far too invested into it that think it's "too big to fail" that will hurt Bitcoin. P2P never needed a consultancy that charged 10,000 bitcoins to be a member of. People used it and it grew because it was proven useful.

Also, before you respond to this with "shutupmatthewurwrongherpderp", do you think you should post a thread asking the Free Software Foundation to remove Richard Stallman because he eats his toenails in public?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: