Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:31:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Amir Taaki needs to stop talking about bitcoins  (Read 10651 times)
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:41:30 PM

People also don't understand, that anyone can try to go represent bitcoin anywhere. I would guess Amir has been doing more bitcoin promotion around the globe than 99% of people on this thread. If you want Amir to go away, start going to those conferences, putting up materials online, etc etc. Most people here are just complaining, not doing.

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:41:52 PM

The same old suit-and-tie motherfuckers who actually run the economy scare a lot of people too.

The crucial point is that Bitcoin is a revolutionary idea. This guy explained VERY WELL the fundamentals. If you are scared by a guy wearing a "mohawk", regardless of what he is saying, then maybe freedom - and Bitcoin - is not for you.

I'm not -- but I'm talking about the majority of the people here because let's face it - a person in a suit and a tie is considered by most people as someone more credible and respectable than an anarchist with a mohawk (are you even aware of the negative connotation of the word 'anarchist?). If we can't convince the majority to use Bitcoin we will be forever confined to using it within a limited circle of its aficionados.

I'd love if people were different but convincing them (except speculators) will be a no easy task.

Signature space available for rent.
VforVictory

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

V for Victory or Rather JustV8

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:51:15 PM

What are you talking about?

He did a great job, simply because he said the truth. Who cares about how he was dressing?

Bitcoin is a REVOLUTION that gives FREEDOM to people. This is the reality, and the fundamental REASON WHY of Bitcoin.

The guy in the interview understood this very well, and expressed it in a perfect way. Kudos for him.

Freedom to squander their money buying virtual currency that will probably burst and leave them penniless?

This isn't Germany circa 1940, no need to start the propaganda machine.
dancingnancy

Activity: 661
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 05:12:23 PM

Amir was really nice to me when I had to work with him with Bitcoinica going down.  I guess perhaps he fucked us bitcoinica users with releasing the source code, but I mean hopefully we get those coins back.  I think there are some things you could fault Amir for, but this interview is not one of them.  I thought this was excellent!!!!!
axus

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 06:02:15 PM

Gweedo, you could write a contract where you give him Bitcoins in exchange for keeping quiet.  That is the fair and free market way to deal with speech we don't like.

Well how do you propose to stop him?

Free market  = anyone can talk about bitcoins

People can dress how they want.

Maybe the foundation should add a press section to get in touch with them. Or have a list of people news outlets can use as creditable sources.

Really my issue with this is using the words "3-d printed guns" and "laundering". Those along with "drugs", "gambling" and "terrorism" shouldn't be used from the person that is talking about bitcoins unless the person directly ask a question about it.
gweedo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 06:05:09 PM

Gweedo, you could write a contract where you give him Bitcoins in exchange for keeping quiet.  That is the fair and free market way to deal with speech we don't like.

Well how do you propose to stop him?

Free market  = anyone can talk about bitcoins

People can dress how they want.

Maybe the foundation should add a press section to get in touch with them. Or have a list of people news outlets can use as creditable sources.

Really my issue with this is using the words "3-d printed guns" and "laundering". Those along with "drugs", "gambling" and "terrorism" shouldn't be used from the person that is talking about bitcoins unless the person directly ask a question about it.

I know hindering one person in anyway like this is very much against bitcoins, but I think he has hit a limit with his speech that requires some intervention of not forcing those extreme views on bitcoins.
ninjarobot

Activity: 761

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 06:05:19 PM

Amir was really nice to me when I had to work with him with Bitcoinica going down.  I guess perhaps he fucked us Bitcoinica users with releasing the source code, but I mean hopefully we get those coins back.  I think there are some things you could fault Amir for, but this interview is not one of them.  I thought this was excellent!!!!!

Same here. I think he has good intentions but has a clear tendency to fuck up. I'd wish I'd seen more of these videos before handing my coins over to him. Clearly I would have thought twice about it! Amir was directly responsible for the last Bitcoinica hack when he leaked the source containing password data to their MtGox account, his response was along the lines of "I don't feel bad for people with a lot of coins. It is just numbers".

And yes, we all know Bitcoin is revolutionary but that does not mean you have to dress up like an Anarchist and act like a 16 year old overly attached girlfriend. Bitcoin is a-political. I'd rather see a more trojan style silent revolution. No 3D printing of guns and throwing of bricks necessary here.
auzaar

Activity: 151

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 08:09:13 PM

I wish he'd wear a shirt. As shallow as it is, appearance makes a world of difference to the general public.
yeah something like zuckerberg
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 08:16:51 PM

RE Amir:

"Contrary to hysterical media reports, such as this recent video from the Guardian, the Bitcoin-software community is loosely governed not by wild-eyed kids camping out in half-deserted lofts but by what appears to be a rational and sober group of adult administrators who run the Bitcoin Foundation. This organization was modelled on the Linux Foundation, according to Gavin Andresen, who is currently the Bitcoin Foundation’s chief scientist. As the lead developer for the project, Andresen is paid a salary by the Bitcoin Foundation. He has been involved full-time in Bitcoin since the spring of 2011."

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/04/the-future-of-bitcoin.html#ixzz2PoKTmSAE
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 08:18:08 PM

RE Amir:

"Contrary to hysterical media reports, such as this recent video from the Guardian, the Bitcoin-software community is loosely governed not by wild-eyed kids camping out in half-deserted lofts but by what appears to be a rational and sober group of adult administrators who run the Bitcoin Foundation. This organization was modelled on the Linux Foundation, according to Gavin Andresen, who is currently the Bitcoin Foundation’s chief scientist. As the lead developer for the project, Andresen is paid a salary by the Bitcoin Foundation. He has been involved full-time in Bitcoin since the spring of 2011."

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/04/the-future-of-bitcoin.html#ixzz2PoKTmSAE
I didn't know we were governed. Nice. Now all I need to do is pay 10,000 BTC and I can be a member and I won't have to think for myself! </sarcasm>

mestar

Activity: 407
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:03:03 PM

Quote from: genjix

Quote from: tallorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallorder 
I looked through the bitcoin forum to learn a bit more about it and I see a post there by 'genjix' selling 'Let there be range' and other poker ebooks for bitcoins:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php...28590#msg28590

OP, Are you this same genjix? If so, how do you think this should affect our trust in you to operate a poker room?

Yes it's me. I believe in total information freedom. Those books are being offered for 2 BTC which is 50 cents. It's not a money making enterprise but simply bitcoiners on the forum having fun and looking for ways to spend their money. I uploaded a few nice books that I thought would help encourage others to read and learn.

It's because we're all geeks and love spending our bitcoin money. We want it to work.

Isn't this the same Amir Taaki who was selling pirated ebooks for bitcoins?

From http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpost.php?p=23575328&postcount=238
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078

BCJ

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:27:36 PM

Quote from: genjix

Quote from: tallorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallorder 
I looked through the bitcoin forum to learn a bit more about it and I see a post there by 'genjix' selling 'Let there be range' and other poker ebooks for bitcoins:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php...28590#msg28590

OP, Are you this same genjix? If so, how do you think this should affect our trust in you to operate a poker room?

Yes it's me. I believe in total information freedom. Those books are being offered for 2 BTC which is 50 cents. It's not a money making enterprise but simply bitcoiners on the forum having fun and looking for ways to spend their money. I uploaded a few nice books that I thought would help encourage others to read and learn.

It's because we're all geeks and love spending our bitcoin money. We want it to work.

Isn't this the same Amir Taaki who was selling pirated ebooks for bitcoins?

From http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpost.php?p=23575328&postcount=238

Yes.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 12:31:16 AM

Previous apprearances : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GX-gYrTxz9U#t=952s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=I-DVOYyx_6U#t=320s
yolo2222

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 11:56:41 AM

Amir is a f--- hero !

Come on already, if you know psychology. Watch the video again and make sure to concentrate on Amirs eyes!

He knows that btc will shoot up to 100,000 $ !!!

As 1 bitcoin is 100,000 satoshis or am I completly retarded?

I think I will buy 1 bitcoin tomorrow. For investing...

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:08:46 PM

As 1 bitcoin is 100,000 satoshis or am I completly retarded?

Yes, you are completly retarded.

BTW. 1 BTC == 100 MILLION Satoshis Wink
Cred

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:40:41 PM

I just watched it and the memorable bit for me for the question of what he would have done if he got duped in Brazil. His answer curved around to 'that's what I love about Bitcoin, the philanthropy'. Seriously? Is he really that naive? That is just an open invite for scam artists who must be relishing taking money from geeks, as if the scam artists aren't gathering at the gates already.

Like many a well meaning revolution brought about by clever people, Bitcoin will eventually be taken over by psychopaths and hard core criminals, even if code is our domain. That's just the way human societies go, especially when the masses are content and kept busy and entertained. Eventually nearly all bitcoin will end up in the hands of criminal networks, either through black market dealing, extortion, con artistry or robbery and one it is the rest of society and the law won't be able to do anything about it except let Bitcoin die.

The next wave of buyers are the ones you need to be extra careful of. The time of it being a cool experiment for geeks is over, it's now the turn of the greedy, tax dodging and criminal. Things in the real world evolved the way they did for a reason. Throwing things back to anarchy won't make things better. Institutions grew in the city of London because trust had to be built on well earned reputation and the Bitcoin economy has to go through all that again.

It'll be interesting but mind your backs if you do real world business with bit coin and learn a bit of history.

yolo2222

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:08:33 PM

I just watched it and the memorable bit for me for the question of what he would have done if he got duped in Brazil. His answer curved around to 'that's what I love about Bitcoin, the philanthropy'. Seriously? Is he really that naive? That is just an open invite for scam artists who must be relishing taking money from geeks, as if the scam artists aren't gathering at the gates already.

Like many a well meaning revolution brought about by clever people, Bitcoin will eventually be taken over by psychopaths and hard core criminals, even if code is our domain. That's just the way human societies go, especially when the masses are content and kept busy and entertained. Eventually nearly all bitcoin will end up in the hands of criminal networks, either through black market dealing, extortion, con artistry or robbery and one it is the rest of society and the law won't be able to do anything about it except let Bitcoin die.

The next wave of buyers are the ones you need to be extra careful of. The time of it being a cool experiment for geeks is over, it's now the turn of the greedy, tax dodging and criminal. Things in the real world evolved the way they did for a reason. Throwing things back to anarchy won't make things better. Institutions grew in the city of London because trust had to be built on well earned reputation and the Bitcoin economy has to go through all that again.

It'll be interesting but mind your backs if you do real world business with bit coin and learn a bit of history.

Oh god, please let it rain some brain cells? Are you retarded? Have you ever met with a localbitcoiner dealer?

The next people ( started already in my opinion) are people who are sick of investing into stock markets, real estate gold or the hit of the last years: art. So now they swap to bitcoin as they realize its potential. You made me chuckle man, cheers. BE CAREFUL OF THE BIG BLACK MAN WHO WILL STEAL YOUR BITCOINS WHILE YOU SLEEP.... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

samesstee

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 09:52:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbkxRbTEgoE

I found this video. Let me just say, Amir Takki is a great developer but he can't go talking about and I probably paraphrasing "...it is bringing money laundering from big people to the common people..". This is exactly what type of labels we don't want on bitcoins. Everyone needs to stay away from the "launder" word. Also he talked about how "3-d printing guns" is the way to solve issues with fraud in the bitcoin world. He is a complete rebel, and should not be affiliated with the community. The host even at one point basically had to treat him like a kid and tell him to wait his turn. He is using words that would scare people away. Amir is a great developer, he knows how bitcoin is the future and his passion is amazing. Just the way he presents himself is a little far from what we need in the community to be our voice.

Actually no.

Aside from his visual presentation (which I guess he has his own slightly odd style.. but w/e) his delivery and answers were spot on in this interview. If this is how he can handle public speaking in front of a camera with an earpiece and in the face of heat from three other people, I don't mind it if he takes over every single interview ever done about Bitcoin.

He did an awesome job in this interview. That's right, awesome job.

Totally agree.

I agree we need Amir, Amir if you read this thank you!!!
practicaldreamer

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 11:43:13 PM

I think he's great personally - I saw a youtube video recently about a guy who had something to do with the development of the global phenomona that is BTC - I was expecting to see a middle aged guy wearing a cardigan who doesn't get out enough (not that that would have diminished my respect for him you understand) - and instead on came Amir talking about how he held no BTC because he had everything he needed in the room he was in (and there was literally only a laptop in the room).
    Of course, as you get older you might end up with a family etc etc and so Amir may require more than just his laptop Grin

But the guy is a good sort IMHO
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:11:02 AM

The diversity in the bitcoin community is what makes it interesting.

The diversity of uses that bitcoin enables allows that.

Many different uses, many different people!!

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: