Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:58:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: To make bitcoin a success, make it convenient for normal people to buy/sell them  (Read 4255 times)
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
November 09, 2010, 02:47:38 PM

This community is still too sparse to support a face-to-face economy. Maybe a good place to start the first local Bitcoin economy would be a university campus.

This would be nice.  Unfortunately I'm not a student anymore.  I hope that some young people will learn about bitcoins and get enthousiastic about that.  Young people have indeed access to large places were they can gather and exchange stuffs.  They could indeed trade bitcoins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitquux

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2010, 02:49:53 PM

Genius idea.  We need street bitcoin traders.  That will actually make it possible.

What would really work is a privacy aware proximity app for a mobile so that you know when your friends are near you but the location is encrypted for everyone else.

Then exchanging bitcoins would look like two people meeting for a coffee...when in reality they are internet banking!

https://squareup.com/
Take credit, send coins. All from a smartphone. Customers could carry a 2D barcode with their address on it so it can be scanned with a smartphone camera for easy input.
bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2010, 03:46:44 PM

I wonder: You ready to exchange bitcoin with your local currency but are not willing to do the same using specially designed site ( http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1485.0 ) becouse you afraid that this is breaking the law.

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 03:36:08 AM

Can we start a page somewhere that people can list themselves as available to buy bitcoins from in person with their zip code or city or something?

OMG! I developed a whole web site for exactly this puropse a month ago and nobody uses it. I didn't do a very good job of promoting it, I have to admit:
www.bitswap.cz.cc

I would be thrilled if you guys would use this site. If there is genuine interest, I'll be willing to invest more time into making improvements that anyone suggests.

It's currently free to register and use.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2010, 03:47:59 AM

Can we start a page somewhere that people can list themselves as available to buy bitcoins from in person with their zip code or city or something?

OMG! I developed a whole web site for exactly this puropse a month ago and nobody uses it. I didn't do a very good job of promoting it, I have to admit:
www.bitswap.cz.cc

I would be thrilled if you guys would use this site. If there is genuine interest, I'll be willing to invest more time into making improvements that anyone suggests.

It's currently free to register and use.

Oh, it wasn't clear to me that this was going to be for physical locations. I thought it was just another classified site.

I think it is a little early to expect to find someone near you and with something you want to trade. Why not just stress the location part instead of the trading part. Then when a lucky coincidence happens they can meet for coffee, have sex, or just know there is a bitcoiner around the corner.

So maybe call the site BitMap (lol, or not), have people pin their locations on and use an email mask like craigslist?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2010, 03:49:38 AM

asdf, I just used the new Bitcoin Block Explorer on your address on the site and you've got nothing! I sent one :-)

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
davux

Activity: 288
Merit: 263

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2010, 03:51:29 AM
Last edit: November 10, 2010, 04:22:33 AM by davux

www.bitswap.cz.cc

Do you know #bitcoin-otc? If I understood correctly, your goals seem quite similar. If so, I hope you'll find a way to collaborate with each other, or maybe merge.

1DavuxH9tLqU4c7zvG387aTG4mA7BcRpp2
México (Oaxaca) – France - Leeds
Anonymous

November 10, 2010, 04:10:34 AM

Meet me at Flinders St Station!  Cheesy

Here is a photo of noagendamarket at Flinders St Station. Drop your money onto the mat, and he punches the transaction into that keypad he's wearing.

haha! Im not that far advanced. I actually carry an abacus.

Would you buy a bitcoin from this guy?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3048/2769869937_4f7af29d0d.jpg?v=0
Anonymous

November 10, 2010, 04:23:40 AM

I'm in St. Paul, MN 55117.

Should I start a page on the wiki?

I think there is a plugin that lets you do a community map.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 08:24:36 AM

www.bitswap.cz.cc

I told You already what is wrong with it, this website is terrible and untrustworthy.
Looks very unprofessional.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 07:38:23 PM

www.bitswap.cz.cc

I told You already what is wrong with it, this website is terrible and untrustworthy.

Yeah, I went there and used it.  It's not very intuitive, and looks like an abandoned high school computer class project.  Needs refinement.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 09:00:39 PM

www.bitswap.cz.cc

Looks unprofessional?

anarchy (OP)

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 12, 2010, 05:17:02 AM

Site itself looks good to me.. maybe it's the domain name thats stopping you Smiley .cz.cc
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 12, 2010, 09:23:18 PM

www.bitswap.cz.cc

Looks unprofessional?

Looks crappy to be precise.

BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2010, 07:18:58 AM

Looks unprofessional?

Looks crappy to be precise.

Ahh... nothing beats good old non-constructive feedback. Wink

I don't think it LOOKS bad, but seems rather unusable (why need to register?, can't you just let people post messages that you review before showing them on the website?).
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: