Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:00:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero's ANON FAIL !  (Read 8113 times)
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 06:00:49 AM

Pseudo-anonimity is good enough for me.

What I find hilarious is that 96.52% of Monero's volume belongs to a single, centralized exchange (polo) which also require people's identity. Until that's fixed I'm not sure how people can push Monero.

You are right. I never thought about that.

That's scary.
dinofelis

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 06:07:39 AM

Your gay ass fucking shitcoin is not adopted for a reason idiots.
..if it's not used then it's not a currency.

That's indeed the main problem, as well for bitcoin as for monero.  These things are almost not used.  We're indeed talking totally hypothetical, because nor bitcoin, nor monero are much used as a currency, and anonymity only matters in that respect. 

It seems that these coins are mainly used as a kind of backing for speculative IOU on exchanges.  As I said already many times, you don't need anonymity for that ; hell you don't even need a block chain for that.  IOU on a web site can be done without block chain, code or whatever.

Nevertheless, the few places where crypto IS used as a currency, are especially dark markets, where LACK OF anonymity like in bitcoin can be problematic.  It seems that crypto cannot compete with fiat in all other areas, especially because fiat is much more private and anonymous than open chain crypto in that respect.  Without a court order, nobody can find out what happens with my bank account.  On the bitcoin block chain, most people can find that out.  Fiat is much more private at this point than bitcoin.

jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1107

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 06:18:58 AM

What I find hilarious is that 96.52% of Monero's volume belongs to a single, centralized exchange (polo) which also require people's identity. Until that's fixed I'm not sure how people can push Monero.

That's scary.

At 88% atm: http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/volume/24-hour/

And I think when Bitfinex implements margin trading for XMR that will probably continue to decrease.
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 06:24:53 AM

That's scary.

At 88% atm: http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/volume/24-hour/

And I think when Bitfinex implements margin trading for XMR that will probably continue to decrease.

Honestly, it would be optimal for more people to use bitsquare... but... you know how that goes....

You guys are right though, there needs to be less of a centralization to polo. 88% is still way too centralized for comfort, but yeah, hopefully people who like to day trade will like taking advantage of lower volumes and margin trading all at once, once that becomes a "thing" over on finex.
dodziu

Activity: 473
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 06:35:39 AM

NAV Coin is the only right now one truly anonymous and decentralized.

No Monero, ZCash or Cloackcoin, all of them are not anonymous.

http://navcoin.org/news
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 06:51:37 AM

NAV Coin is the only right now one truly anonymous and decentralized.

No Monero, ZCash or Cloackcoin, all of them are not anonymous.

http://navcoin.org/news

Welp, I guess it's official... Pack it up boys, you heard the man.  Tongue
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 01:25:26 PM
Last edit: December 24, 2016, 12:54:25 AM by Spoetnik

Since we hear for years how Monero is bullet proof.. and they print on the hoody secure / untraceable.

Then.. it is in fact not about "MORE" secure.

It would then be about a dark market user having 100% faith he won't get arrested.
I provided a variety of ways this could happen.. and it only needs to happen ONCE !

Further more since Monero offers "more" security over other coins like LTC or BTC
It is essentially useless because no one outside the Dark Market world gives a fuck.
If they did they would not all be forced to hand over their finger prints to banks and be fine with it.

Deliberately catering and pandering to dark market criminal activity is stupid.
Worse is defying the US govt's anti-money laundering or various other laws like Terrorism funding.

You Monero guys picked a fight.. a stupid fight !

FluffyPony vs. EARTH

The combined resources of the USA alone is immense and i sure as hell would not want to put up a crack-me sign for them egging them on.

They have admitted to doing seriously crazy shit to get their man.
I would not have faith in Monero if i figured i was a very high value target.

And that is one of the key problems i have is the false sense of security perpetuated by the Monero Cult.
Then the fact that it's failed as it started.. an Anon coin is fucked from day 1.
You can't ever achieve any real good level of adoption defying world govt's.

It's failed if at best it is occasionally used for Dark Market activity (but mostly trading on Poloniex)
Or was that the goal all along ? A niche coin barely used and another "coin" on Polo to trade for profits ?

There is a hell of a lot of problems with Monero and it goes way beyond the horrendous name  Cheesy

It failed on launch because it was a dumb idea !

FUD first & ask questions later™
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:39:00 PM

You seem to fail to understand the notion of anonymity of a crypto currency... A block chain that doesn't propagate that information at least doesn't bring more harm to your privacy and anonymity than what you had before.

That isn't the question. The question is HOW to optimise anonymity and at what price ?

If you do it at the expense of blockchain transparency (of the address balances that is) you'll end up with the weakest of all worlds where the most fundamental of monetary properties are trashed in favour of imposing what is nothing more than an encrypted messaging technology of little value due to its reproducibility.

It is and will always be a flawed monetary design - not least due to the asymmetry it imposes on the coin supply in terms of key holders / non keyholders and between transacting parties. A fertile breeding ground for scams of every type ranging from blockchain to ecosystem based.
dinofelis

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 04:23:20 PM

You seem to fail to understand the notion of anonymity of a crypto currency... A block chain that doesn't propagate that information at least doesn't bring more harm to your privacy and anonymity than what you had before.

That isn't the question. The question is HOW to optimise anonymity and at what price ?

If you do it at the expense of blockchain transparency (of the address balances that is) you'll end up with the weakest of all worlds where the most fundamental of monetary properties are trashed in favour of imposing what is nothing more than an encrypted messaging technology of little value due to its reproducibility.

There is nothing monetary failing about fungible money (meaning: not knowing where it comes from, only knowing that the total amount is conserved in transactions).   We've gone through that discussion already.  The traceability of transactions is not what is essential ; the scarcity is.  When the scarcity is provable, when the conservation of amount of monetary unit in a transaction is provable, then those entities are collectible assets, which is all that is needed.

You may think that monetary units need other properties, like non-fungibility, full traceability and so on, but you are simply factually proven wrong, with traditional monetary systems, and with cryptocurrencies.  Gold itself is perfectly fungible and its transactions are not traceable, nevertheless, nobody has any doubt about its value.  Cash money has the same properties.  On fiat coins, there's not written who had them before.  With crypto currencies, the same.  There ARE fungible, private cryptocurrencies (like monero) that ARE traded against value.  That's proof enough that your theory is false: it is contradicted by observation.

Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 11:35:44 PM

In a way it is though.. not that it really matters.

Did Monero come out first ?
Were the dev or dev(s) (who ever went into hiding) know about Bitcoin back then ?
Probably not because the idiots didn't know Bytecoin already existed.

Born from a coin cloning platform as the Monero shills said long ago ? yes !
..called CryptoNote

I have rewrote plenty of code for miners before but did not claim i wrote it from scratch.
A lot of the code + basic concepts are recycled on every coin out.

They are all in fact "Mod's" of Bitcoin.

And why hide since 2011 "member" ?
Apparently you are quite the little expert on things here with your 4 post account.
I love how the deceitful shitheads never show their face.. they simply spin BS from puppet accounts.

Niggah please, you don't know who you are fuckin' with !
..i use 4 ply toilet paper bro.  Cool

You got my opinion (the correct one) what more do you want ?

Yo Chuckie-Cheese.. don't sprinkle cheese on me and call me a Pizza !

DrkLvr_

Activity: 724
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 12:11:54 AM

Sputnik and toknormal.. 2 of bitcointalk's biggest morons in 1 thread
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 06:09:04 AM
Last edit: December 25, 2016, 07:09:54 AM by Spoetnik

Sputnik and toknormal.. 2 of bitcointalk's biggest morons in 1 thread

We need a "Carbon Coin" again for us to band together.
That was one scam coin we both agreed on Wink

Moron ?
Why have i been the only one who started mentioning a bunch of glaring problems ?
I don't care so much about being on either side of the problem..
I am simply arguing on endlessly i SEE the problem.. and YES it does exist.
Shoving your head in the sand will not keep people out of jail cells.

I am also still bothered that these guys CHOSE to show up here like all the others
..and make a new coin.

That is what happened.
And like all the others they did not try and push their features / ideas onto Bitcoin.
Fuck no.. they ran out as fast as possible to make THEIR OWN NEW COIN !
Then what did we see ?
For some inexplicable reason when no one had shown the slightest interest in Monero
Poloniex decided to add Monero "markets" ..why ?

Monero is a me-too coin like the others.
Worse it's backed by inept decetful fools.

Bottom Line:
I hope to raise my concerns about Monero and users can come to their own conclusions.
If you think i am a "moron" and Monero has a bright future then by all means.. support the project.
What i have tried to highlight is the aspects to the coin that SHOULD be taken into consideration.
I think it has had a bad team and bad community behind it since day one.
This is a turn off and a negative point to the coin.

No GUI for 2+ years ?
Well why not launch it when the GUI was ready ?
Duh !
They wanted that Market on Poloniex ASAP !

You know don't look past the obvious people  Wink

EDIT:

Think of this guys..

I just pointed out the rather odd behavior of Poloniex adding Monero markets way back right ?
Back then there was few exchanges and they added markets for big coins only.. usually 1 or 2 other ALT's.
Such as XPM / Cryptsy ..and yeah we all complained about that too when they did it.
(because it was mega popular) or Litecoin of course.
Following me ?
Ok so think of this..
What if the guys behind Poloniex where almost 90% of the "ANON" trading occurs ARE the SAME guys behind the coin ?

Do you realize what this would mean ?

Poloniex collects your Picture ID etc.
AKA: They are US govt compliant and will hand over your info to the FED's in a heart beat !
So.. still want to use Monero to sell all that Fentanyl and Hand guns on Alpha Bay ?

Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 07:17:27 AM

TL;DR:

Satoshi Nakamoto is dead, and OP is crying over the ashes. The phoenix rises, though it rises under the banner of monero

Lets rationalize this..

What can we determine a FAIL to be ?

So far it took them years to get a GUI wallet out.
To me this would have been a prerequisite to launching the coin.

I am not the one here spinning bullshit 24/7 like a politician while i count my XMR / Polo ROI'z.
You may not like my perspective on things but it's probably because you feel i am encroaching on your "profits"
And that is not what this is about.

What is it about ? ADOPTION .

And a Failure assessment ?

Well then.. can Monero be regarded as a success story when it comes to adoption ?

[ADVICE]

'BE' Honest.
Enough with the bullshitting.. it doesn't work.

What are you guys going to say ? "one day" ?
Well it's been years and we seen a minor influx of dark market activity.
And that was actually a step in reverse.

The goal of being defiant to US and even world money law is not a goal i personally strive for.
Nor do i think it will aid the concept of currency adoption.
Nor do i think us loitering around here name calling will effect things either way.
Life carries on.. IGNORING MONERO !

Omura

Activity: 129

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 11:51:58 AM

OP claims monero is an offshoot of bitcoin

OP is wrong... Monero is an entirely new codebase.

Ever heard of Nicholas von Saberhagen? I have it on good word that NvS murdered Satoshi Nakomoto in his sleep. SN was actually Michael Yost, formerly known as Robert F Golaszewski.
Again, I have strong evidence to support that Satoshi Nakomoto was formerly known as Robert F Golaszewski of East Lansing Michigan. Faked his own death in 2005 to begin working on bitcoin. In 2011, he obtained the credentials to Michael Yost and moved to San Diego California. He had been hiding out there ever since. Until September of 2016, a man named Nicholas von Saberhagen -- whose true name I cannot reveal -- traveled to San Diego Diego and murdered Michael Yost, alias Satoshi Nakomoto, creator of bitcoin.

What's Nicholas von Saberhagen's motive for killing Satoshi? Huh Huh

П    |⧛ ☛  Join the signature campaign and earn free PI daily!  ✅ |⧛    П
    |⧛         ☛  PiCoin - get in now  ✅     ☛ No ICO!  ✅          |⧛

Shiroslullaby

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 12:48:05 PM

Ever heard of Nicholas von Saberhagen? I have it on good word that NvS murdered Satoshi Nakomoto in his sleep. SN was actually Michael Yost, formerly known as Robert F Golaszewski.
Again, I have strong evidence to support that Satoshi Nakomoto was formerly known as Robert F Golaszewski of East Lansing Michigan. Faked his own death in 2005 to begin working on bitcoin. In 2011, he obtained the credentials to Michael Yost and moved to San Diego California. He had been hiding out there ever since. Until September of 2016, a man named Nicholas von Saberhagen -- whose true name I cannot reveal -- traveled to San Diego Diego and murdered Michael Yost, alias Satoshi Nakomoto, creator of bitcoin.

okay I've heard some crazy theories before, but this one is near the top.
I don't think I've ever heard the name Michael Yost before and literally nothing comes up if you search that name associated with Bitcoin.
Unless you have some kind of evidence that any of this true I'm going to call bullshit, sorry.

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 05:08:26 PM
Last edit: December 25, 2016, 07:39:47 PM by Febo

What's Nicholas von Saberhagen's motive for killing Satoshi? Huh Huh

Initials. Both Satoshi Nakamoto and Nicholas von Saberhagen used their initials as theirs signature.  SN or NS.  Nicholas von Saberhagen was furious angry when many, since they know Satoshi Nakamoto more, gave credits to Satoshi Nakamoto  for work that Nicholas von Saberhagen did and signed as SN or NS.  So he decided to end this charade and killed  Satoshi Nakamoto  for good.  

I thought everyone here already know this. You guys are surprising me every day more.
pavan@hosur

Activity: 499
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2017, 08:32:25 AM

Cloak coin is best tech for ANON Transactions

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░
░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░██████░
░░░░░░░██████░░░░░█░░░░░████████░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░░███░░░████░░███░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░██░██░████░░███░░█████░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░██░░█░███░░███░░██████░░
░░░░░░░░░███████░██░█░█░░░███░░██████░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░███░░░███░░░█████░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██░░████░░░░░░██░░░██████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░████░░░░░██████░░░█████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███░░░█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▂▂ ▃▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ TeraWATT █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃▃ ▂▂
Global LED Adoption Through Blockchain Technology
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒『ICO IS LIVE』≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
WEBSITE』『WHITEPAPER
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
TWITTER』『TELEGRAM
adhitthana
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 27, 2017, 09:21:31 AM

So i have a few questions..

If ANON was needed so badly why did the dev's not submit the idea to the Bitcoin core dev's foundation etc ?
Was it because they knew it would be rejected ?

Well, you'd have to redo many things in bitcoin.  So many, actually, that almost nothing would be left of bitcoin.  Your question is akin to "if flying in the air is so important, why did people build airplanes, and didn't add wings to cars which were already riding ?".
Smiley
andrei56

Activity: 840
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 05:21:38 AM

this is false, if you stay under the 2k$-withdrawal limit you don't need to give up your identity...

pseudo-anonimity is not good enough for everyone... I for one wouldn't like to be associated with shady business because a bitcoin was used for some shady business 7 transactions ago (when I had nothing to do with that bitcoin)...

cash needs to be fungible, bitcoin is not fungible because its traceable...

best regards,

This some exchanges reject coins that come from bitcoin casinos which means that not every coin is treated the same, that hurts fungibility, so the coins need to be untraceable if there is any hope for one of the most basic characteristics of money to remain.
fancyhash

Activity: 137

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 09:03:01 PM

This some exchanges reject coins that come from bitcoin casinos which means that not every coin is treated the same, that hurts fungibility, so the coins need to be untraceable if there is any hope for one of the most basic characteristics of money to remain.

Can you, please give some examples ?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: