Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:28:17 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A4 Drop Card Issues - Jig Reflash Thread  (Read 4533 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
firehawk71

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 05:36:46 PM

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing... Yes I agree that looks like something that was put together very fast.. I sure do not see how they consider it so valuble..It must be because it has a real hashing card inside of it.. That is the only thing of value that I can think of..That thing looks very cheap... If they could figure out a way to just put the program information on a SD card or something and not use a actual hash card the cost would be much much less
Eyedol-X (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 05:51:31 PM

The box isn't huge, and it isn't heavy.  But the way this is setup you have all the wires exposed, pins are just hot glued and core components are exposed.  They protected the hashing board that comes with it in the box below which is good.  They really were just trying to get something out to us as quickly as possible from the looks of this.  

Here is what Inno had to say:
Just want to inform you please keep the jig on your site now. Because we need some time to figure out what is the best solution for this upgrade with prohashing.

There is so many details during the upgrade.
But since we want to make it a easier for customers, just give us some time.

We will let you know the progress soon.

So it sounds like they may be working on a better solution.  It really does look like they are going out of their way to get this fixed.

Here are some pics of the jig:
https://i.imgur.com/eSwGKGm.jpg
http://imgur.com/eSwGKGm.jpg
http://imgur.com/yPIRn8s.jpg
http://imgur.com/xuw7ANA.jpg
http://imgur.com/2n8YQS5.jpg
http://imgur.com/rsEZllP.jpg
http://imgur.com/UyByY94.jpg
http://imgur.com/AgwvpZx.jpg  

This is some great news, maybe they will send a jig directly to PH?

These photos... all I have to say is WOW@Inno when I see them...
mjgraham

Activity: 188

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 05:57:44 PM

Well it is interesting for sure, I am guessing you just put the card in and hit a  button? how does it get power , does it even need any computer interaction other than maybe power? I wonder what is in the tape blob, at any rate I milled out a board to see if my test pins line up and will check that , spring pins are not to terrible to buy, only need 4 connections really don't know which ones they are hooked to under that big booger on top. But at least it exists and works so we have that.

firehawk71

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 07:34:21 PM

Well it is interesting for sure, I am guessing you just put the card in and hit a  button? how does it get power , does it even need any computer interaction other than maybe power? I wonder what is in the tape blob, at any rate I milled out a board to see if my test pins line up and will check that , spring pins are not to terrible to buy, only need 4 connections really don't know which ones they are hooked to under that big booger on top. But at least it exists and works so we have that.
I saw another photo that looked like it gets its power from a USB port on a laptop? I saw plugs going into laptop but think its for power only..Just a guess
Longsnowsm

Activity: 868
Merit: 517

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 08:41:27 PM

Yes, the laptop USB is only for power.  I think when people see the pictures they will understand why shipping the jig around is not a good idea! LOL
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 2242

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 11:00:55 PM

Clever. I was wondering what they used as a micro-controller to manage the data transfer. Oddly enough it's the CPU on the bottom card that manages the transfer. Everything else on the card is a dunsel.

Sure it's quickly built but let's face it: Sounds like they want to fix this problem ASAP. My guess is for the production units they order the chips flashed at the factory before mounting on the board. Saves a big step in production.
Eyedol-X (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 09:24:46 AM

Cross posting this here as I don't think Inno has yet noticed this thread but this is information relative to this thread.

I followed up on my e-mail to Chloe from a week ago and cc'd the person indicated this time around. I never got a response to my last e-mail so if you opt to e-mail direct for a jig, make sure you stay on top of it.

Hi All,

We have solved the restart and reboot problem in batch 3. No update in hardware but the firmware in STM32 MCU and SD card both have updates. SD card update is easy, but the MCU update will need a special equipment.

For the customers who bought the Batch 1&2 A4 LTC miners from us, we have a jig for you to do a simple upgrade. If you need this service, please contact us at zhangq@innosilicon.com.cn and cc luojm@innosilicon.com.cn, we will arrange the delivery of jig to you one by one.

If you are not in our customer list, i.e. you purchased your miner from an agent, please go to your agent and let your agent contact us.

Thanks,
Innosilicon
Longsnowsm

View Profile
December 22, 2016, 12:31:34 PM

I am cross posting this here from the pre-buy thread:

Ok, so I received an email from Inno.  If you are on the mailing list for Inno having bought miners directly from them it appears they are going to send you a jig directly. 

I replied back just to get clarification, but that appears to be what they are doing now.  It was a mass mailing and not directed at me specifically since I have already received a jig.  So if you received that email from Inno please reply back to it with the info they requested so that you can get a jig sent to you.  Plus it looks like they will offer a small discount on your next order.

The process with the jig isn't complicated and I think anyone can do it.  It is more time consuming to disconnect everything, pull apart the miners, and reassemble everything and connect it back up than the flashing is.  So this is good news if it is correct.   
Eyedol-X (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2016, 02:18:17 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2016, 02:46:56 PM by Eyedol-X

I am cross posting this here from the pre-buy thread:

Ok, so I received an email from Inno.  If you are on the mailing list for Inno having bought miners directly from them it appears they are going to send you a jig directly.  

I replied back just to get clarification, but that appears to be what they are doing now.  It was a mass mailing and not directed at me specifically since I have already received a jig.  So if you received that email from Inno please reply back to it with the info they requested so that you can get a jig sent to you.  Plus it looks like they will offer a small discount on your next order.

The process with the jig isn't complicated and I think anyone can do it.  It is more time consuming to disconnect everything, pull apart the miners, and reassemble everything and connect it back up than the flashing is.  So this is good news if it is correct.    

Well here is what I perceive to be some good news:

I have a copy of the e-mail/document they are requesting be signed and returned.

The short of it is they are going to send people Jig's with a signed agreement indicating that the recipient will not disassemble the Jig or keep it for personal use. The recipient is provided 5 days to flash their miners and then will be directed by Innosilicon to ship the Jig to the next person. It's a good faith agreement that the recipient will keep the Jig in good working order and report any issues immediately to Innosilicon.

Also in the agreement, Innosilicon will reimburse the shipping costs you pay to ship the Jig to the next customer in the form LTC.

It's not perfect but IMO this seems to be the best way Innosilicon can get this done -- the question is now, how many Jig's will the ship to the USA before they tell people they now have to wait in line.

toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:21:33 AM

wow that is nice of them to let you use there jig those thing can cost a ton ...then return it i wonder how long that will happen till some low life mess up that trust for a few bucks .

That a lone makes me want a A4 more every day even if it just the 136 MH version which I plan to buy next year .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Longsnowsm

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:47:23 AM

I honestly think this says a lot that Inno is sending out jigs like this.  Looking at this jig it is clear it cost them some money, time, and effort to make these things.  My hat is off to Inno for putting together something like this to fix our miners, but this has turned out to be a costly mistake for them.

Since flashing my miners they have been stable, no restarts, no dropped boards.  However they still are not hashing anywhere near the advertised hash rate.  That still needs to be addressed. 

The other wild card in the back of my mind is the concern over how they are going to work this next summer during the heat.  These miners seem like they are very sensitive to the temps.  We have not had these miners during the warmer months so this is a question that still remains to be answered in my mind unless some of our friends in the southern hemisphere can chime in and tell us how their miners are doing in the summer heat there. 

firehawk71

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 07:22:49 AM

I honestly think this says a lot that Inno is sending out jigs like this.  Looking at this jig it is clear it cost them some money, time, and effort to make these things.  My hat is off to Inno for putting together something like this to fix our miners, but this has turned out to be a costly mistake for them.

Since flashing my miners they have been stable, no restarts, no dropped boards.  However they still are not hashing anywhere near the advertised hash rate.  That still needs to be addressed. 

The other wild card in the back of my mind is the concern over how they are going to work this next summer during the heat.  These miners seem like they are very sensitive to the temps.  We have not had these miners during the warmer months so this is a question that still remains to be answered in my mind unless some of our friends in the southern hemisphere can chime in and tell us how their miners are doing in the summer heat there. 

I agree about the heat issue...When I first got my miners we were having pretty warm weather and mine are out in the garage..I was running on Prohash and on warm days they would run for about a hour then the hash rate would drop way down then new software just made them start rebooting but I was dropping cards all day long... About a week ago we had 1 degree temps and they ran on prohash much much better.
If you check the specs from the factory it says max operating temp is 40c. In the very cold mine were running 29c 30c but when it was warm I was hitting close to 50c.. So if its true they don't like temps above 40c this will be a problem in the summer for sure.
Eyedol-X (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:05:33 PM

I honestly think this says a lot that Inno is sending out jigs like this.  Looking at this jig it is clear it cost them some money, time, and effort to make these things.  My hat is off to Inno for putting together something like this to fix our miners, but this has turned out to be a costly mistake for them.

Since flashing my miners they have been stable, no restarts, no dropped boards.  However they still are not hashing anywhere near the advertised hash rate.  That still needs to be addressed.  

The other wild card in the back of my mind is the concern over how they are going to work this next summer during the heat.  These miners seem like they are very sensitive to the temps.  We have not had these miners during the warmer months so this is a question that still remains to be answered in my mind unless some of our friends in the southern hemisphere can chime in and tell us how their miners are doing in the summer heat there.  

In regards to advertised hash rate, correct me if I'm wrong but they advertise 136.8MH +/- 5% on label.

When my B2 units are working properly(no dropped cards) combined they hash around 270MH consistently and have spikes well above that.

I see everywhere that Inno has 2 of these listed for 280MH... I think what we are dealing with here is someone that's just bad at math and no one caught it in their marketing.

136.8 + 136.8 = ~273.6 with +/- 5% is 259.9MH on the low end and 287.2MH on the high end.

Longsnowsm

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:28:15 PM

My average on Litecoinpool was around 250ish.  On Prohashing I am seeing a lot of time spent in the 240ish hashing range.  Once in a while it will catch a tail wind and be in the 260 range, but not often.  This is pool side.  On the miner it is trying to tell me after the flash update that it is hashing at 275mhs.  I call BS. 

If others are getting better rates I would love to know what settings you are using to do it.  Smiley
Eyedol-X (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 03:06:38 AM

I got the reflash Jig today and unboxed it, unfortunately it appears that the internal hasboard has come loose in shipping and some of the hot glue that was anchoring it is now loose and flopping around inside the case. I do not feel in its current state it's going to survive shipping again because there currently is only 1 piece of hot glue securing the hashboard internally at this time, the other 3 corners are free to move around. I'm sure a good jolt in shipping is going to cause this thing to come completely loose. I'm going to e-mail Innosilicon and recommend that we just ship this thing to Chris @ PH and see if the want me to re-secure the hashboard internally before shipping it again.

As it's been previously covered, it's pretty straight forward to reflash these things. I only had 1 board out of 4 that I did that didn't take the flash the first time. This was indicated when I powered the miner on and 1 board was rapidly flashing red. I removed the board and performed the update again and its fine now.

So far it's been performing well for about 6+ hours on PH -- I'm running it at home right now for testing so it's a little warmer than I normally have it operating at.

Here is a picture of the hot glue pieces that have become dislodged

Wider shot of internal hash board with glue dislodged

Hash Board installed within the Jig

Inside the Jig underneath the cover

Couple Shots of the Jig

Close up of Pins

Close up of Pins alternate angle

Eyedol-X (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 02:35:03 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2017, 03:23:32 AM by Eyedol-X

Well here is performance of A4 B3 reflash on Prohash for those interested.

Over 1 day running strong

I know the date is wrong in these graphics, haven't taken the opportunity to correctly set it.

Eyedol-X (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 03:30:06 PM

Update:

I have shipped the Jig on to the next person.

When I received the Jig, the card inside had become detached and was only being held by 1 corner of glue. At the direction of Innosilicon I re-secured the Jig before shipping it to the next person.

I used specific flexible adhesive hot glue and not regular hot glue as the hot glue previously used got hard and had come off during the 1st shipment.

Here are some images below of the repair.

mjgraham

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 06:47:49 PM

I can't wait for it to arrive here, whenever that will be, I sent two boards off to be reflashed ahead of time to see if I could reflash my own but it didn't work. I am not a super expert at the ST MCUs maybe someone could tell me the memory areas to clone. I did the main program flash area 0x08000000-0x0807FFFF and it is the same but I just get a flashing LED which tells me the program must be running to some extent. Anyway the 2 weeks I was on vacation makes me programming them less important if the jig is almost here.

mjgraham

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 07:48:37 PM

Any latest word on where the jig is? of course that may be to open of a question, I am just anxious to get it.

Eyedol-X (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 08:07:21 PM

Not sure, I do know they were prepping to send a 2nd Jig to the USA and they are all on Holiday now I believe in China.

I assume that the Jig is gotta be on the way to 4th person by now but there is like a 2-3 day delay minimum each time it ships then 5-7 days with recipient.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: