Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:32:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple: A Distributed Exchange for Bitcoin  (Read 66649 times)
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:10:49 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2013, 05:22:21 PM by dancupid

The exchange doesn't seem to be working - I've placed a few orders to buy bitcoin for xrp but it doesn't work no matter what price I choose.

The order book on bitcoin charts seems to reflect this problem:

Edit - just managed to buy 0.1 bitcoins - maybe a temporary issue?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wiggi

Activity: 403
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:36:49 PM

Yes, 2 temporary issues, matching engine is down for a few minutes every 2 hours or so.
And already filled orders are sometimes still visible. Both can cause negative bid ask spread.
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 06:11:25 PM

Logout/login would be my first guess.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
Pouncer

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 11:20:52 AM

I use LastPass and it shows ripple.com login is insecure. Any idea why?

NXTtechdevfund  GPG Key ID: 0x903BC112
virtualmaster

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:47:51 PM

Ripple stores your password in plain text. - Reddit.com
Is this true ? If yes then fix it before trying to convince others to use ripple instead of bitcoin.

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 04:14:46 PM

Ripple stores your password in plain text. - Reddit.com
Is this true ? If yes then fix it before trying to convince others to use ripple instead of bitcoin.

welcome to the new world of HTML5 local storage. It's like an app running locally really. Just like BitcoinQt knows your wallet password in plain text as well. I guess the password is encrypted on the drive (this can only keep dumb trojans away really), but it will be decrypted on-demand in memory.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
ahbritto

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

Ripple

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 05:09:28 PM

Password is not stored in plain text.

Stefan Thomas explains:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1clt5h/ripple_stores_your_password_in_plain_text_as_bad/c9hshzz
glitch003

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:39:10 PM

Ripple is just a get-rich-quick scheme for the creators anyway.  Read this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179677.0
bitcoinbeliever

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:13:33 AM

Why use XRP at all and have to have IOUs?   Why not use bitcoin?
Despite the best efforts of the Bitcoin community, there are still people who think it's a good idea to transact in fiat currencies like dollars and Euros. One of the key design goals of Ripple is to allow people to transact in Euros and dollars while still getting many of the benefits of Bitcoins.

You can use Bitcoins with Ripple. You can do it right now with a few extra steps, but we're working on seamless gateways. Every merchant who takes Ripple is one more merchant you can pay with Bitcoins. And Ripple will provide a distributed, open market to buy and sell Bitcoins.

I see what you did there.  Ignoring the "why use XRP at all" part of the question.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:16:01 AM

Why use XRP at all and have to have IOUs?   Why not use bitcoin?
Despite the best efforts of the Bitcoin community, there are still people who think it's a good idea to transact in fiat currencies like dollars and Euros. One of the key design goals of Ripple is to allow people to transact in Euros and dollars while still getting many of the benefits of Bitcoins.

You can use Bitcoins with Ripple. You can do it right now with a few extra steps, but we're working on seamless gateways. Every merchant who takes Ripple is one more merchant you can pay with Bitcoins. And Ripple will provide a distributed, open market to buy and sell Bitcoins.

I see what you did there.  Ignoring the "why use XRP at all" part of the question.
but my question was "why not use bitcoins as the base and charge low fees for use of your network"?   it gives merchants what they want (fast settlement, no charge backs and low fees).

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 12:27:22 AM

but my question was "why not use bitcoins as the base and charge low fees for use of your network"?   it gives merchants what they want (fast settlement, no charge backs and low fees).
The whole point of Ripple is that you can hold whatever currency you want and merchants can set prices in whatever currency they want and the transaction "just works" at a very good rate, instantly, and irreversibly.

If the question is why Ripple's transaction fees are paid in XRP rather than BTC, it's for technical reasons. You can't require one Bitcoin transaction for each Ripple transaction and even if you did, that would mean every Ripple server would have to monitor the Bitcoin network. There's no known way to allow BTC to change hands on the Ripple network without a central authority to hold the keys that release those Bitcoins back to the Bitcoin network. The way Ripple works, the only currency that could exist on the system without an issuer is one that is native to the system.

I've solicited technical solutions to this problem on this forum. It would be awesome if Bitcoins could be used on other decentralized systems without having to trade on the blockchain (both because it would be faster and because it could enable things like microtransactions) or trust a central authority to hold the Bitcoins. I've yet to hear one. I'm still looking.

If you like XRP as a currency, great, use it as one. If you don't like XRP as a currency, that's fine too. You'll need like $5 worth to fund your account and pay for a few hundred thousand transactions, but that's it.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:32:37 AM

but my question was "why not use bitcoins as the base and charge low fees for use of your network"?   it gives merchants what they want (fast settlement, no charge backs and low fees).
The whole point of Ripple is that you can hold whatever currency you want and merchants can set prices in whatever currency they want and the transaction "just works" at a very good rate, instantly, and irreversibly.

If the question is why Ripple's transaction fees are paid in XRP rather than BTC, it's for technical reasons. You can't require one Bitcoin transaction for each Ripple transaction and even if you did, that would mean every Ripple server would have to monitor the Bitcoin network. There's no known way to allow BTC to change hands on the Ripple network without a central authority to hold the keys that release those Bitcoins back to the Bitcoin network. The way Ripple works, the only currency that could exist on the system without an issuer is one that is native to the system.

I've solicited technical solutions to this problem on this forum. It would be awesome if Bitcoins could be used on other decentralized systems without having to trade on the blockchain (both because it would be faster and because it could enable things like microtransactions). I've yet to hear one. I'm still looking.

If you like XRP as a currency, great, use it as one. If you don't like XRP as a currency, that's fine too. You'll need like $5 worth to fund your account and pay for a few hundred thousand transactions, but that's it.

You are good at explaining things.   I like this more than before but still skeptical.  You need a marketer to come up with a better word than IOUs.....   that is the next part I do not like especially in america where you saw all these people walk away from mortgages that they could afford.....

JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 12:35:31 AM

You are good at explaining things.   I like this more than before but still skeptical.  You need a marketer to come up with a better word than IOUs.....   that is the next part I do not like especially in america where you saw all these people walk away from mortgages that they could afford.....
Thanks. Our marketing people agree with you. They'd much prefer I used the word "balance". And I agree with them because it's unnatural to think of, say, the $25,000 in your bank account as a "mere" IOU from your bank.

bitcoinbeliever

Activity: 54

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:37:13 AM

If the question is why Ripple's transaction fees are paid in XRP rather than BTC, it's for technical reasons. You can't require one Bitcoin transaction for each Ripple transaction and even if you did, that would mean every Ripple server would have to monitor the Bitcoin network....

IOU's are supposed to be good enough for everyone else.  Why aren't they good enough for server operators when it comes to getting paid commissions?
misterbigg (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:47:06 AM

it's unnatural to think of, say, the $25,000 in your bank account as a "mere" IOU from your bank.

Pardon the french but FUCK THAT SHIT.

An IOU is exactly how we should think of what we have in our bank accounts. Citizens of Cyprus would agree.

TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:51:02 AM

it's unnatural to think of, say, the $25,000 in your bank account as a "mere" IOU from your bank.

Pardon the french but FUCK THAT SHIT.

An IOU is exactly how we should think of what we have in our bank accounts. Citizens of Cyprus would agree.

I agree. I was just trying to come up with different terminology for IOU in ripple, but gave up, because that's exactly what it is. We don't deposit money in banks, we lend our money to the bank.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
misterbigg (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:53:29 AM

I agree. I was just trying to come up with different terminology for IOU in ripple, but gave up, because that's exactly what it is. We don't deposit money in banks, we lend our money to the bank.

Same with MtGox. We deposit fiat, and we get IOUs which are a database entry in their MySQL server. Then you buy Bitcoins on the exchange but you are really getting Bitcoin IOUs which also sit in their database. When you withdraw US Dollars from MtGox you get IOUs from your bank instead of MtGox IOUs. It is only when you withdraw Bitcoins to a wallet under your control that you actually have something which is not debt based and without counterparty risk.

What Ripple nay-sayers don't realize is that Ripple functions identically to the MtGox scenario, it's just more explicit. It would be like being able to send your "MtGox US Dollar IOUs" in a cryptographically secure way to anyone else with a Ripple wallet. Clearly, this is useful and not a "scam" as forum trolls would have us think.
notig

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 01:28:12 AM

I think most people don't understand ripple. It's impressive though. If western union is looking at bitcoin they should first look at ripple......... since they could basically do bitcoin by integrating ripple and becoming gateways since they probably already comply with a ton of laws and regulations.
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 01:54:03 AM

IOU's are supposed to be good enough for everyone else.  Why aren't they good enough for server operators when it comes to getting paid commissions?
Server operators aren't paid commissions. That's another unsolved technical problem. There's really no way to figure out who really is a "server operator" without a central authority and if people could put themselves on both sides of the transaction fee payment, they could evade the fee system and crowd out other people's transactions.

The transaction fee pretty much has to be something that can be easily verified by all servers and not gamed by someone on both sides of the transaction. Destroying small amounts of a native currency is the best solution we could come up with.

peter.baril

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:11:12 AM

Why do I see so many calls for implementing distributed Bitcoin exchanges or putting up more robust/centralized Bitcoin exchanges when we will soon have Ripple, which perfectly provides distributed order books?

Isn't Ripple in-addition-to, not instead of? 

I am assuming new forex-like entities will replace crippling bottlenecks like MtGox and then remain as processors themselves or 'gateways' to ever more powerful currency exchanges.  Meantime, Ripple (both the protocol and its currency-as-token), provide the instantaneous delivery to and among those processors and their gateways that make it all flow.

I am indeed still asking, however, not pronouncing.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: