Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:47:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should Peter Vessenes resign as the Executive Director for Bitcoin Foundation ?
YES - 191 (72.3%)
NO - 73 (27.7%)
Total Voters: 264

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Peter Vessenes resign as the Executive Director for Bitcoin Foundation ?  (Read 24382 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 03:56:26 AM
Last edit: April 16, 2013, 04:34:02 AM by Herodes

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176921.0

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/bitcoin_anarchy_in_need_of_some_zTFr06G6IWEWYp3OSvJ99L

We’d be happy to be regulated,” said Vessenes, who also is with the Bitcoin Foundation, an organizing body. “There is no self-regulatory organization for these. It’s pre-regulated right now, but we’re not anti-regulation.”

Who is this guy, flying to Japan, negotiating MtGox into giving up their US and Canadian customer base, and then he goes straight into bed with the authorities, slowly pulling us with the legs into exact the same broken system we're intending to leave ?

It's time for the community to decide what we want. Bitcoin shall not be governed by the US.

Peter Vessenes, how dare he speak for Bitcoin, the decentralized network. If he's happy to be regulated, then he at least should discuss this with the community first. This is really disrespectful towards the community, and it is against the spirit of freedom and lack of regulation that is Bitcoin.

We’d be happy to be regulated,” said Vessenes

^^ This is the worst thing that man has ever said, I had some hard questions for him earlier on, which he choose to never respond to

He hasn't even posted in this forum since March 19. And ignored a hell of a lot of questions asked to him.

What kind of shady deals are going on in the background here ? Also MtGox is discontinuing USD redeemable codes, or else they would face consequences. Consquences by who, and who delivered the message. I don't like this development at all.

Let us see what the community thinks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Etlase2

Activity: 798

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:03:06 AM

You need to realize that there is some distance between regulation of fiat->BTC and vice versa and regulation of bitcoin itself. He is referring entirely to the former, not the latter. You would be silly to not want regulation of the exchanges and such, it is the only real way to bring legitimacy.

Herodes (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:05:11 AM

You need to realize that there is some distance between regulation of fiat->BTC and vice versa and regulation of bitcoin itself. He is referring entirely to the former, not the latter. You would be silly to not want regulation of the exchanges and such, it is the only real way to bring legitimacy.

Exchanges need to pay attention to the laws in their jurisdictions, or else they would be unable to operate. But how I interpreted this was that they would actually want to regulate how trade is done on the exchanges, which I don't think is a good idea.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 04:09:12 AM

I disagree with the claim it's the worst thing he ever said, or that this is even bad.  It sounds like he is doing his job.  Those who find fault with him making a statement like that have a limited view of the way business and politics works.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Etlase2

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:10:22 AM

I interpreted this was that they would actually want to regulate how trade is done on the exchanges, which I don't think is a good idea.

This is pretty vague. Is there something in particular you have a problem with?

Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:12:47 AM

I'm of the opinion that no business interests should be on the foundation's board, especially the guys that run gox and bitinstant.

I'm a lifetime member and I won't have anything to do with the foundation until and unless Karpeles, Shrem and Vessenes are gone.
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:13:10 AM

I interpreted this was that they would actually want to regulate how trade is done on the exchanges, which I don't think is a good idea.

This is pretty vague. Is there something in particular you have a problem with?

Yes, if there's an man that's supposed to have the leading role of two enterprises, one or both of these roles can not be fulfilled completely. In my view, if you're the chief of a company, then holding the lead role in a foundation means you can't do a great job at both of them. That is a big problem.
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:14:45 AM

I disagree with the claim it's the worst thing he ever said, or that this is even bad.  It sounds like he is doing his job.  Those who find fault with him making a statement like that have a limited view of the way business and politics works.

It's the overall impression, I don't trust that guy to want the best for bitcoin. I might be wrong, but that's the impression I've gotten. Look at his history, he's been at max 2 years with every company he's been running. The exchange rate has much volatility, I don't see how one should call for regulations because of that.
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:16:30 AM

I'm of the opinion that no business interests should be on the foundation's board, especially the guys that run gox and bitinstant.

I'm a lifetime member and I won't have anything to do with the foundation until and unless Karpeles, Shrem and Vessenes are gone.

I agree with this. Also, the steep fees needed to 'buy in' to the foundation means it's a rich business men club only. I think there's plenty of members in the community that could contribute equally or better that doesn't have millions of dollars on their bank accounts.
Etlase2

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:16:45 AM

Yes, if there's an man that's supposed to have the leading role of two enterprises, one or both of these roles can not be fulfilled completely. In my view, if you're the chief of a company, then holding the lead role in a foundation means you can't do a great job at both of them. That is a big problem.

The bitcoin universe is still pretty dang small bro, you should be happy that there are people who are willing to spend time and effort to help you make money. If all the business guys resign from the foundation, who will step up to spearhead such things? Programmers? I don't think so.

Severian

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:21:37 AM

The bitcoin universe is still pretty dang small bro, you should be happy that there are people who are willing to spend time and effort to help you make money. If all the business guys resign from the foundation, who will step up to spearhead such things? Programmers? I don't think so.

Gox and Bitinstant are alienating many new users. They shouldn't be associated with the foundation.
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:25:45 AM

If you look at the FSF, Richard Stallman is super dedicated to his cause, to the extent that he for a while slept under his desk when not programming  or doing work for the FSF. He travels all over the world and talks about Free Software. He's not a business person, but he sure has made a name for himself and most geeks now about the FSF, and appreciate what they do. Stallmann is genuine and believes in what he does.

The same kind of person we would need for the Bitcoin Foundation, not a person that's only interested in business. Bitcoin is still small, but not smaller than that any bitcoin business of a certain size can warrant having at least one person working full time at that project. To my understand, for example blockchain.info has one person working full time on it. In a foundation, I'm sure an Executive Director would have his hands full every day if he so choose. Having a demanding full time job outside the Foundation means he is not able to do a great job for the Foundation.
nonsh

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:28:36 AM

People who understand markets need to get involved.
NO. PLEASE! HELL! NO! Those guys who fu**ed up the regular markets and never come up with innovations and improvements for citizen should stay home.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:34:04 AM
Last edit: April 16, 2013, 05:12:55 AM by odolvlobo

Perhaps when he says "we", he means CoinLab. CoinLab might want regulators to come in because regulations give established companies an economic advantage. Too-big-to-fail is the epitome of regulation.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:39:28 AM

Perhaps when he says "we", he means CoinLab. CoinLab might want regulators to come in because regulations give established companies an economic advantage. Too-bit-to-fail is the epitome of regulation.

From the NY article:
Still, the volatility in the price of bitcoins — rising from about $45 just a month ago to more than $250 this week and back down to around $100 yesterday — has some people questioning if no rules are good rules.

One venture capitalist, who was investing in bitcoin-based startups, said there need to be some rules and order before the currency can take off.

“Right now you have a bunch of anarchistic market dilettantes who don’t understand how markets work and don’t understand the perils of markets,” he said. “People who understand markets need to get involved.”

So, I take it the problem is the volatile market rate. As bitcoin grows, it will become more stable, it's currently growing pains. What exactly would people 'who understands markets' do in regards to the bitcoin market?
Etlase2

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:39:32 AM

If you look at the FSF, Richard Stallman is super dedicated to his cause, to the extent that he for a while slept under his desk when not programming  or doing work for the FSF. He travels all over the world and talks about Free Software. He's not a business person, but he sure has made a name for himself and most geeks now about the FSF, and appreciate what they do. Stallmann is genuine and believes in what he does.

Yeah well bitcoin's Stallman decided he wasn't up to the task, so again I ask, who do you think is going to do this? You can't just will a Richard Stallman to exist to help bitcoin.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 04:41:22 AM

Someone else gave an interview a few years ago (Gavin maybe) who said that any regulation should be at the exchange level.

They regulate everything that has to do with their dollars anyway, this is not a huge leap.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Severian

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:42:10 AM

“People who understand markets need to get involved.”

How's that working out, Peter? Your flagship has sprung a leak.
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:43:34 AM

Yeah well bitcoin's Stallman decided he wasn't up to the task, so again I ask, who do you think is going to do this? You can't just will a Richard Stallman to exist to help bitcoin.

Who ? I'm not sure, perhaps there would be some people interested if the position was made available. A Bitcoin-Stallman would not be bad.  Grin

I am not sure if having the foundation run by the biggest bitcoin business men is the best idea. Perhaps the Foundation should be more independent ?
aurora

Activity: 158
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 04:48:09 AM

We’d be happy to be regulated,” said Vessenes

I hate regulations but I believe bitcoin would be more stable if somebody could regulate it

Dym.game
Double your money. Use Martingale/anti strategies. 1 to 1 odds
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: