Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 03:12:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't trust ripple! It's a get rich quick scheme for the creators.  (Read 6328 times)
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:49:26 AM

What are you talking about when saying the source code is kept private? 

https://ripple.com/wiki/Ripple_Client

https://github.com/rippleFoundation/ripple-client

The source is on git repo. Am I missing something?

Server exchange code.
chriswen

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:56:25 AM

Yeah, you can't set up a validator yet.  Sad

But that is because they might be implementing protocol changes and its easier to do that when they have less validators.  Eventually they'll open source the code.  Or release it so you can be a validator.
mmeijeri

Activity: 714

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:24:01 AM

Miners EARN their coins by doing work for the network.  There is no "handing out" like there is with Ripple.  You should probably learn how the Bitcoin network works before you go spouting off BS like this.

I understand Bitcoin just fine, thank you very much. Yes, miners work for their bitcoins, just as the founders of Ripple are having to work hard and having to get investors involved to get their currency established. Of course, the early miners didn't have to work very hard, as it was really easy to mine. Nevertheless either choice is perfectly fine, and perfectly ethical, and time will tell which of the two will be more successful. It is perfectly possible that both will succeed. And even if XRP doesn't succeed as a currency, the distributed exchange mechanism provided by Ripple will be of great benefit to Bitcoin.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:26:13 AM

RippleScam.org is looking for contributors. If you would like to write a guest post, or add any additional information, send me a PM.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:32:54 AM

Here is a good question, can any of the core developers confirm that they are not trading their ripples for Bitcoin?

I understand 1 developer alone was graned 1 billion XRP.

Please confirm if you are or are not selling your ripples for Bitcoin at this time.

The answer to this question may help determine if ripple is a scam and its extent.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:56:28 AM

"Out of the 100 billion XRP that can ever exist, the founders kept 20 billion while OpenCoin received the remainder of 80 billion. From that 80 billion OpenCoin will sell 30 billion to fund ongoing development beyond the initial angel investment, and the remaining 50 billion will be given away to spur adoption."

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/8519/how-long-will-it-take-for-opencoin-to-distribute-the-50-billion-xrps

I'm pretty sure the 20 billion given to the developers were "no strings attached", because the developers gave themselves the ripples.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:08:06 AM

"Out of the 100 billion XRP that can ever exist, the founders kept 20 billion while OpenCoin received the remainder of 80 billion. From that 80 billion OpenCoin will sell 30 billion to fund ongoing development beyond the initial angel investment, and the remaining 50 billion will be given away to spur adoption."

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/8519/how-long-will-it-take-for-opencoin-to-distribute-the-50-billion-xrps

I'm pretty sure the 20 billion given to the developers were "no strings attached", because the developers gave themselves the ripples.

I am interested in how fast and how much the developers are selling. How many Bitcoin have they gained so far?
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:11:03 AM

Are you expecting accountability and transparency from a for profit company?  Huh

Nobody other than OpenCoin Inc and their employees knows, but I think they haven't sold much yet and are still relying on their initial funding.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:18:04 AM

Are you expecting accountability and transparency from a for profit company?  Huh

Nobody other than OpenCoin Inc and their employees knows, but I think they haven't sold much yet and are still relying on their initial funding.

No I am not expecting anything from them and that just confirms the extent of this rubbish. The developers come here and preach openness and changing the world, they release enough XRP to make the value high and they don't talk about the hundreds of millions of XRP each developer has. All these hippy suckers spending a entire Bitcoin for a sliver of a fraction of a developers stash of XRP.

I cannot understand all these people on this forum proclaiming the awesomeness of Ripple. I personally think they are paid accounts, can't be real people this stupid.

The whole idea of Bitcoin is taking us away from a debt based economy, and Ripple just brings it all back again, same old same old. Ripple is something a bank would create to compete with Bitcoin.
NewAgeCoins

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:48:53 AM

You've ignored the fact that you can do useful, productive things without using the XRP currency, and instead choose to just run around saying "its a scam, its a scam." Me and others have provided clear, factual reasons why Ripple is useful but you choose to ignore it.

I haven't seen a clear explanation of what ripple is. It seems sort of confusing...

When I heard about bitcoin, it seemed very clear what it was (confusing part was how it did it)

With ripple, I'm just not sure what I'm reading about..
glitch003 (OP)

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:18:39 PM

RippleScam.org is looking for contributors. If you would like to write a guest post, or add any additional information, send me a PM.

Nice, this just popped up as well, looks like it's mostly from this thread:  http://www.rippleisascam.com
coinft

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:54:16 PM

Until the sever is open sourced, it is impossible for anyone to make changes.

Fixed for you.

Okay so you're a troll who registered recently and all your posts are anti-Ripple. I'm more than willing to engage in a discourse but you're not adding anything to the conversation. I hate to do this but I will have to put you on ignore. If/when you are ready for a real dialogue and not mere trolling please send me a PM with a rational argument and I will un-ignore you.

He may be a new user and a troll, but that doesn't change the facts. In fact I believe he is much to lenient:

Until the server is open sourced, we must assume it is insecure and unsafe to use. Malicious evil or plain incompetence, security
by obscurity never works. Further we must assume some evil guys will find security holes eventually even without the source. Honest researchers will ignore it. That alone is reason enough to advice people strongly not to use it.

I'd like to believe the devs started with good intent, but eventually time and money ran out and they had to rush a product to market too embarrassing to show to the world now, with investors breathing down their necks. This theory is backed by the at first barely functional client, which still shows wrong numbers at times, and has the most unreadable order book UI I've ever seen.
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:04:00 PM

- Closed source
- Created by a profit driven entity
- Centralised
- Still unclear, ambiguous and complicated
- Creators have given themselves 80% of the money supply just because they felt like it. No specific announcements what's going to happen to these 80 billion XRP other than some vague mumblings about giving some more away
- A multitude of suspicious accounts on this forum that are extremely 'pro-Ripple' and were created after Ripple started their XRP giveaway
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:14:27 PM

...That alone is reason enough to advice people strongly not to use it.

I can agree with this. Sure, don't use it.  Its risky as hell, and for all the reasons that you mentioned. But saying that these guys are scammers and they went into it with dishonest intentions, that seems like trolling to me and more importantly it doesn't really fit the facts. It's an emotional response that has no place in a civil discourse.
mmeijeri

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:16:09 PM

Well, I'd say it's a good reason not to hold large amounts of XRP or IOUs for now, not an argument against using Ripple as an exchange between BTC and fiat currencies, or as a mechanism to make fiat payments through your trust network.

misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:21:06 PM

Well, I'd say it's a good reason not to hold large amounts of XRP or IOUs for now, not an argument against using Ripple as an exchange between BTC and fiat currencies, or as a mechanism to make fiat payments through your trust network.

Yep, that's exactly right. In your wallet you can set the trust lines to whatever you think is appropriate. If you just want to fool around you could extend trust to Bitstamp only for small amounts like $120 in USD or 1 BTC. You don't have to buy XRP to use the other features of Ripple.
virtualmaster

Activity: 504

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:55:17 PM

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
That is surely.
But guilty are those who pay 1 BTC for 50.000 Ripple.
That is giving to you the impression it is so much but thre will be 100 billions of Ripple so they cash 2 million bitcoins(by 1BTC=50.000 Ripple) for a centralized, not open source system coins which is still not working as designed and almost doesn't have exchanges.
The next one will make another system with 100 trillions of his coins and will give to you 100 millions for 1 BTC.

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:08:08 PM

- Closed source
- Created by a profit driven entity
- Centralised
- Still unclear, ambiguous and complicated
- Creators have given themselves 80% of the money supply just because they felt like it. No specific announcements what's going to happen to these 80 billion XRP other than some vague mumblings about giving some more away
- A multitude of suspicious accounts on this forum that are extremely 'pro-Ripple' and were created after Ripple started their XRP giveaway

You have all the facts - everyone else does to. And on the basis of these very clear universally understood facts people will make their own decisions - xrp is not a scam, just a bad investment.
mmeijeri

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:12:03 PM

You have all the facts - everyone else does to. And on the basis of these very clear universally understood facts people will make their own decisions - xrp is not a scam, just a bad investment.

Perhaps, but it could still be an excellent distributed BTC exchange and trust-based payment system.

dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:14:30 PM

You have all the facts - everyone else does too. And on the basis of these very clear universally understood facts people will make their own decisions - xrp is not a scam, just a bad investment.

Perhaps, but it could still be an excellent distributed BTC exchange and trust-based payment system.

Yep - I agree. Too many people focus on xrp
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: