Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:46:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Multipool - the pool mining pool (with source code)  (Read 48205 times)
Multipool (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 04:34:13 AM

How hard is it to add new pools to this setup? There are multitudes of tiny proportional pools shooting up like mushrooms, waiting to be picked!

If you could abstract the info for pools in a config file, we might even be able to fill these out for you, so you just have to enter that information...

Only problem might be, that these pools then might feel like being DDOSed, if we have a certain hashpower already within multipool (which I think we do).
The pool code is largely modular - I do have a pools.conf file Wink - and in addition there is some pool-specific code sprinkled around mostly for specific load balancing. It is indeed easy to write a regex. It is more difficult to write a routine that can handle minor formatting changes in the webpages, unexpected data (each pool handles invalid blocks slightly differently, and they are rare enough to make it difficult to see an example), nonsensical data (the json api of some pools occasionally returns values that I can pretty surely say are incorrect), and potentially malicious data. Moreover, the routine must fail graciously if it does fail to parse. Case in point:
Btw the multipool's website is down for me, while the mining looks working fine.
The cause of this particular problem was that apparently bitcoind can on random occasions timeout on rpc requests, even though it's running locally (what is it so busy doing - resorting its database, or maybe thinking up of ways to use up even more memory?). A getdifficulty request during the generation of a webpage doesn't return a number, and the division of the user's round shares by the difficulty to get the efficiency value results in a division by zero and crashes the website thread. So now not only do I have to mistrust and recheck the data the pools send out, I cannot even trust and have to sanity-check my own bitcoind.

I am currently testing more pools and will put them up once I'm satisfied enough. If I were doing it alone, I wouldn't need so many checks - as long as the miners are running, nothing bad can happen. But with actual users, someone is certain to complain the moment a round is marked with "zero" earnings, or if the database were to become corrupted and had to be rolled back, or things like that, so I must give due diligence.

I would like some advice on what to do with all the small proportional pools, which do spawn like mushrooms. The problem is that they and Multipool are of comparable size. Therefore, while small pools can be extremely profitable, there are also high risks of (in this order):
  • overloading and crashing the pool
  • being banned for DoSing/hopping
  • the pool collapsing and shutting down, without rewarding the shares
  • the pool being a scam
My opinion is not to mine pools below 100GHash/s size, which does limit the options somewhat.

Quote from: Multipool
On the other hand, I occasionally see shares that are clearly within a block, have valid merkles and nonces, have a valid hash, and are not duplicates, but that nevertheless get rejected by the target pool, even as many other shares of similar age get accepted around the same time. Why does this happen? Couldn't really tell without knowing the internal workings of the other pools.
Related?
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=18567.msg277371#msg277371
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=14483.0
Yes, if there were indeed a bug with X-Roll-NTime which caused duplicate work submissions, the results would be exactly the same as what I'm seeing. I don't have the stats off-hand, but I remember this happening with at least several pools, not just one. If that's the case, then it's up to the pool operators to fix it - Multipool cannot duplicate-check shares that it has never received in the first place.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 07:35:24 AM
Last edit: June 26, 2011, 10:14:13 AM by jdebunt

i'm in for a test, let's see how it goes Smiley

edit : most shares seem to go to "Solo", is this intended?
gentakin

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 10:08:14 AM

Multipool is now my backup pool. The problem with backup pools is, of course, that they are on a constantly low getwork efficiency. (single-digit percentage for me at ~3mhash/s)

I see you want me to work on solo shares when my efficiency is below 40%. Grin Is this measured over all submitted shares, even in the past? Because it seems like I submitted a guild share this round. Or maybe the sample size is very small, because I noticed my main pool has just refused to work for a minute or two, allowing my multipool getwork efficiency to go >40%.

A few more questions:
* Currently, (my version of) poclbm requests new work after 55s (or when a long poll returns). How much could I increase this time without causing problems to multipool?
* What are the round stats for your "solo" mining pool? Can we expect to find a block any time soon?
* What's the pool hash rate? Shocked

1HNjbHnpu7S3UUNMF6J9yWTD597LgtUCxb
burp

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 11:10:26 AM

My opinion is not to mine pools below 100GHash/s size, which does limit the options somewhat.

Yes I can see that point, what about adding bitcoins.lc?
iopq

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 01:12:17 PM

bitclockers is ripe for the picking, they broke 100ghash/s
muyoso

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 01:24:52 PM

Ok, switched over to you last night.  Been running for 14 hours and earned a total of .014 when I would have had at least .25 at a different pool.  

Shares   384
Shares (w/ pending)   7594
Utility   390.253
Earned   0.01419268
Efficiency   1.020
Collected   0.00348139

Why do I have so many pending shares?  What do pending shares even mean?  If pending means that multipool just doesn't know what the reward is, why does it take so long? 

It says 1.020 efficiency, but its more like .0567 efficiency for me, as I have earned basically nothing in 14 hours.  Am I to expect a massive payout starting soon or should I switch to another pool?

I drink it up!
gentakin

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 01:32:13 PM

It means that for 7594 shares multipool has submitted to a pool on your behalf, it is not clear yet how much they earned you. Maybe the pool where they have been sent has not found a block yet. Most of the time it's because the block where they participated in has not matured yet (less than 120 confirmations). As soon as those blocks reach 120 confirmations, the shares will no longer be pending and your "Earned" will go up. Later the "Collected" will go up, as Multipool gets payouts from pools. Then you get paid out. It's 12-24 hours usually from "Pending" to "Paid".

The shares that go to "solo" however take really long to pay out, because multipool has not found a block yet. Wink

muyoso

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 03:31:29 PM

It means that for 7594 shares multipool has submitted to a pool on your behalf, it is not clear yet how much they earned you. Maybe the pool where they have been sent has not found a block yet. Most of the time it's because the block where they participated in has not matured yet (less than 120 confirmations). As soon as those blocks reach 120 confirmations, the shares will no longer be pending and your "Earned" will go up. Later the "Collected" will go up, as Multipool gets payouts from pools. Then you get paid out. It's 12-24 hours usually from "Pending" to "Paid".

The shares that go to "solo" however take really long to pay out, because multipool has not found a block yet. Wink

I hope so, because its very disconcerting sending nearly 10,000 shares to a pool and seeing my reward as one and a half bitcents.   

I drink it up!
burp

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 04:08:10 PM

I hope so, because its very disconcerting sending nearly 10,000 shares to a pool and seeing my reward as one and a half bitcents.   

I had the same concern, but as it turns out everything is ok. Just expect a 1 or 2 days delay on multipool.
muyoso

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 04:10:14 PM

I had the same concern, but as it turns out everything is ok. Just expect a 1 or 2 days delay on multipool.

Jesus, thats a hell of a delay.  Is it worth it?

I drink it up!
superweb

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 04:23:12 PM

it would be more fair, if the fee from efficiency over 1 would be taken from global efficiency, once per 24hrs for bitcoins generated in that 24hrs for example. It may be higher then. In this system I'm at 0,9 efficiency total, but still paying fee for the rounds with efficiency over 1.
And there's a question if my total efficiency allready calculates with fees for "rounds with over 1" efficiency paid.
AngstHase

Activity: 39

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 05:10:45 PM

down  Cry
muyoso

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 06:06:32 PM

Not a good introduction to the pool.  Ridiculously long delay between submitting shares and receiving a reward and now the pool is down and apparently has been for over an hour.  I wanted to believe but idk, gotta switch back to something more concrete.  Maybe in 48 hours when 9999 of my 10000 shares don't say pending and a reward I'll be back.

I drink it up!
gentakin

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 06:11:17 PM

Not a good introduction to the pool.  Ridiculously long delay between submitting shares and receiving a reward and now the pool is down and apparently has been for over an hour.  I wanted to believe but idk, gotta switch back to something more concrete.

The delay is due to the way this pool works. It can't pay you before it receives payments from the other pools. Sure, the "earned" display could update sooner, but that's just cosmetic.

The pool has had quite a few downtimes. Either you accept it or you move to another pool that doesn't exploit other pools. (Or you do it better. Wink )

muyoso

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 06:43:57 PM

Not a good introduction to the pool.  Ridiculously long delay between submitting shares and receiving a reward and now the pool is down and apparently has been for over an hour.  I wanted to believe but idk, gotta switch back to something more concrete.

The delay is due to the way this pool works. It can't pay you before it receives payments from the other pools. Sure, the "earned" display could update sooner, but that's just cosmetic.

The pool has had quite a few downtimes. Either you accept it or you move to another pool that doesn't exploit other pools. (Or you do it better. Wink )

Thanks for the info.  I can accept the delay in payments, but you say there are quite a few downtimes?  Making 10% more than I should is awesome, unless my miners sit idle 10% of the time. . .

I drink it up!
gentakin

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 07:54:48 PM

I'm not so sure how often it is down lately, because I no longer use multipool as my primary pool (it's not that I no longer like it, I'm a fan of it!). It is still my backup pool though. In the first days it was down a few times for longer than only a few minutes.

So I'd recommend: Just start a second miner for each of your GPUs and point them at a different pool, but with a higher -f (poclbm) or lower AGGRESSION (phoenix) value. When/if multipool goes offline, the second miner will pick up speed and your GPU won't idle.

Coaster

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 08:04:03 PM

I highly recommend multipool as a backup pool or just if ya want to test out OC settings to check your updated hash rate. Once in awhile it gets some massive efficiency boosts. But mainly with eligius, it wastes time on BTCMine and a few others which lower efficiency greatly.

muyoso

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 10:34:51 PM

I highly recommend multipool as a backup pool or just if ya want to test out OC settings to check your updated hash rate. Once in awhile it gets some massive efficiency boosts. But mainly with eligius, it wastes time on BTCMine and a few others which lower efficiency greatly.

From what I have seen today, I wouldn't even feel safe with it as a backup pool.  5.5 hours downtime and counting.

I drink it up!
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 10:52:14 PM

Opensource it? I dont see why it should remain on a single host when people could run it locally, or on their own host?

That is if you want to opensource it of course.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
zaphod

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 10:57:46 PM

From what I have seen today, I wouldn't even feel safe with it as a backup pool.  5.5 hours downtime and counting.

My guess is he's been asleep -- 6:56am in Taiwan...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: