Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:26:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL 5 GH/s Miner Demo  (Read 9993 times)
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 05:03:58 PM

Except it's not. When you add in even 100w for a laptop, then plug in 10 BFL singles, suddenly that laptop only uses an extra 10w per single. There's no point to have 10 different hard drives, 10 wifi modules, etc. all of that can be taken care of with 1 mini computer (~$150 for a new one, running at ~50w with either windows or Linux).

Also, of you've only got 1 unit, run it off a RPi, and that only consumes, what, 10w or something rediculus? You could probably find a way to mount the Pi inside the jalapeño, and cut a hole out the back for Ethernet & additional power cord. Would certainly be an interesting project.

This is true, except I think the laptop and RPi power consumption numbers you're using are too high.

The currently unused netbook that I'm planning to use with my Single uses 12W at max draw, and under 8W when the screen is off, which will be most of the time, and a RPi uses about 2.1W under CPU load.

Fantastic.

I really hope you receive your single or whatever product(s) BFL sends you for ordering a now cancelled single SC before your netbook turns to dust. They don't even have a projected shipping date 6 months after their first projected shipping date lie. You're likely to receive these product(s) after Avalon batches 2 & 3 ship and ASICMiner deploys another 50Th+ if you ever receive them. With the power consumption increasing 5-6x on BFLs line of fail you're unlikely to ever get your investment back, much less profit. The appropriate response when you're screwed over by a hardware vendor ignoring FTC prompt delivery regulations is to request a refund and take your business elsewhere.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Marrs

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 06:32:04 PM

Except it's not. When you add in even 100w for a laptop, then plug in 10 BFL singles, suddenly that laptop only uses an extra 10w per single. There's no point to have 10 different hard drives, 10 wifi modules, etc. all of that can be taken care of with 1 mini computer (~$150 for a new one, running at ~50w with either windows or Linux).

Also, of you've only got 1 unit, run it off a RPi, and that only consumes, what, 10w or something rediculus? You could probably find a way to mount the Pi inside the jalapeño, and cut a hole out the back for Ethernet & additional power cord. Would certainly be an interesting project.

This is true, except I think the laptop and RPi power consumption numbers you're using are too high.

The currently unused netbook that I'm planning to use with my Single uses 12W at max draw, and under 8W when the screen is off, which will be most of the time, and a RPi uses about 2.1W under CPU load.

Fantastic.

I really hope you receive your single or whatever product(s) BFL sends you for ordering a now cancelled single SC before your netbook turns to dust. They don't even have a projected shipping date 6 months after their first projected shipping date lie. You're likely to receive these product(s) after Avalon batches 2 & 3 ship and ASICMiner deploys another 50Th+ if you ever receive them. With the power consumption increasing 5-6x on BFLs line of fail you're unlikely to ever get your investment back, much less profit. The appropriate response when you're screwed over by a hardware vendor ignoring FTC prompt delivery regulations is to request a refund and take your business elsewhere.

/chuckle

I guess we'll see, but if there wasn't any profit to be made, asicminer wouldn't be planning a 200 TH deployment to come some time after their upcoming 50TH deployment.

John Self

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 06:43:13 PM

BFL's entire budget went on designing those boxes of fans and LEDs, especially the minirig, and now they are an utter failure like everything else they've designed.

14GXJ3Q16PJNNF6v4iyxhvuhacuhvckMym
creativex

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 06:55:26 PM

I guess we'll see, but if there wasn't any profit to be made, asicminer wouldn't be planning a 200 TH deployment to come some time after their upcoming 50TH deployment.

There's plenty of profit to be made...and ASICMiner and Avalon investors are making it. BFL...who knows what's really going on over there, but their investors are getting hosed and there's no end in sight. They've even stopped giving out fairy tale shipping dates.

It's a mistake to compare BFL or their vaporware products to the products of either legit ASIC mining hardware vendors. BFL could fall apart or be shut down at any time just like BTCFPGA did. Eventually you have to deliver.

barneyss

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:37:35 AM

news from jalapenos
but not shipping date

http://codinginmysleep.com/bfl-jalapeno-unboxing-and-demo/
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:51:10 AM

Looks like the end is in sight for BFL customers if they are willing to accept their hashers in nickel denominations (and I think you would have to be crazy to turn down 5 Jalapenos for 1 SingleSC if you could get the 5 next month rather than in five months).
creativex

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:05:26 AM

Looks like the end is in sight for BFL customers if they are willing to accept their hashers in nickel denominations (and I think you would have to be crazy to turn down 5 Jalapenos for 1 SingleSC if you could get the 5 next month rather than in five months).

I think you mean 12 nickels. The now cancelled single SC was advertised as 60Gh/s @ 60w. Twelve of these toys may get you the same hashrate after a nightmare of wiring, but would also consume at least 400 watts. It's irrelevant anyway, BFL will not be able to ship 12 of these for every single sc ordered.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: