Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 08:09:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it time to get rid of Linux/JavaScript/Python kids?  (Read 6910 times)
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 02:34:48 PM

Personally, I prefer the old school methods. I only ever use punch cards.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 02:35:43 PM

Personally, I prefer the old school methods. I only ever use punch cards.
Bah. Flip the switches manually.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:37:41 PM

Obligatory:

DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:37:46 PM

Real men learn OpenGL

I must admit that I find more easy to program in Assembly than making anything in OpenGL.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 09:31:43 PM

I'm sort of getting it in places now, it's still pretty damn difficult and I don't like to do it often lol Tongue I'll probably end up making something eventually though because of my hatred of the games industry.

A bit off topic but I really recommend this site since it seems to explain the basics well enough but of course you have to adapt the code to the compiler that you're using: http://www.videotutorialsrock.com/opengl_tutorial/basic_shapes/text.php
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 10:48:32 PM

They need canned samples that work, copy paste and imitate, with easy to understand .NET code and a solid MS SQL database.

Let's all think back to the good old days of SQL Slammer Worm. Cheesy

abbyd

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 10:59:53 PM

They need canned samples that work, copy paste and imitate, with easy to understand .NET code and a solid MS SQL database.

Let's all think back to the good old days of SQL Slammer Worm. Cheesy

Yeehah!

I do concede that Javascript is pretty crap... but does that mean:

"Ah, let's just go back to using all of those awesome closed-source tools built on top of a buggy OS, which generate pages that only render correctly in a broken browser"?

As far as secure web development, I really don't think there is such a thing...
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 11:11:39 PM

"Ah, let's just go back to using all of those awesome closed-source tools built on top of a buggy OS, which generate pages that only render correctly in a broken browser"?

Totally! Screw compatibility!

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 11:53:26 PM

Use Go!!! the language.  Now, that seems like an interesting idea.

But .Net?  No....no.  Coming from a decade of MSFT admin, dev and DBA then moving in to Nix I have to say that Python is a very slick, albeit slow, language.

VBScript?  Really?  Just an weak automation language that's already almost dead.  And...proprietary.

What's the point of this thread again??

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 11:55:08 PM

First reply nailed it:

Obvious troll / flamebait, please try again.

scintill

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 12:06:00 AM

With ASP .NET kiddos get at least free but tested samples of accepting and storing login ids and passwords securely, code that works for ages.
So kiddos don't need to stretch their brains inventing the wheel.

There are many samples of good UI, popups that asks for confirmation, that they just need copy and paste.

[...]
With .NET Entity Framework I created more complex, solid and faster response databases than Coinbase did with stupid Mongo.

LOL!  Making it easy for "kiddos" to "copy and paste" their way to creating a Bitcoin service is the last thing we need.  Your argument about ease of creating stuff with .NET may have some merit, but it's hard to take seriously when you also advocate making cargo-cult programming more prevalent.

1SCiN5kqkAbxxwesKMsH9GvyWnWP5YK2W | donations
Tonko (OP)

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 06:37:03 AM

With ASP .NET kiddos get at least free but tested samples of accepting and storing login ids and passwords securely, code that works for ages.
So kiddos don't need to stretch their brains inventing the wheel.

There are many samples of good UI, popups that asks for confirmation, that they just need copy and paste.

[...]
With .NET Entity Framework I created more complex, solid and faster response databases than Coinbase did with stupid Mongo.

LOL!  Making it easy for "kiddos" to "copy and paste" their way to creating a Bitcoin service is the last thing we need.

C'mon man, at least they would get some basic things right.

I go to a stupid exchange and kiddos can't even make a decent login page that actually works. Can't even write a decent JavafuckingScript
to verify a dozen input fields? And then they gonna' handle the exchange?

In the days of stupid 16 bit Windows at least we knew how to verify a few edit boxes in C code.

I can't even state the facts without some politically correct aparatchik whining about trolling and flamebaits.

Now, of course, that copy paste was intended only as the lesser evil, not as the final solution.
Tonko (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 06:53:27 AM
Last edit: April 20, 2013, 07:09:59 AM by Tonko

Use Go!!! the language.  Now, that seems like an interesting idea.

Never gonna happen. D is at least decent.

But .Net?  No....no.  Coming from a decade of MSFT admin, dev and DBA then moving in to Nix I have to say that Python is a very slick, albeit slow, language.

I have yet to meet a single geek who, knowing both .NET and JavaScript, would ever program in JavaScript, unless forced at the proverbial gunpoint.
Look what Java brought to Google. Larry Ellison's umpteenth wife PMS.
They would have made a much better investment in mature technology if they swallowed their pride and took Mono instead of Java.

VBScript?  Really?  Just an weak automation language that's already almost dead.  And...proprietary.

I never mentioned it. I hate it. That chipmunk TradeFortress did it in an attempt to appear sarcastically intelligent.

Re-read the title.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:43:54 AM

What are you talking about? Javascript is fantastic in its ability to be everything (if you abuse it). Node.js is a good example. So is DOOM rendered in JS.

P.S. I think C/C++ stand alone apps are the only "secure" way to do anything these days, and think that Perl beats PHP anyday.

Tonko (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:44:33 AM

Totally! Screw compatibility!

I agree. If you are a small time hacker with mediocre technical, and definitely no CS education, JavaScript is the *only* cross-platform, compatible language.
There are no other languages. Period.

After all, what could Satoshi have ever done without all those open, robust, cross-platform JavaScript libraries?
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:49:19 AM

What are you talking about? Javascript is fantastic in its ability to be everything (if you abuse it). Node.js is a good example. So is DOOM rendered in JS.

P.S. I think C/C++ stand alone apps are the only "secure" way to do anything these days, and think that Perl beats PHP anyday.

So do most of devs of the more slick and responsive sites I've seen.  I honestly do not remember a more functional and responsive experience outside of C++ backend and CGI frontend.

I've been trying to see what CIYAM can do for me.  Though, CIYAM is like a boxed templating engine.  No coding.  So...fail when it comes to thinking out of the box.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 02:13:43 PM

So do most of devs of the more slick and responsive sites I've seen.  I honestly do not remember a more functional and responsive experience outside of C++ backend and CGI frontend.

I've been trying to see what CIYAM can do for me.  Though, CIYAM is like a boxed templating engine.  No coding.  So...fail when it comes to thinking out of the box.

Well, CIYAM, from what I can understand, is actually a few things:

On one hand, you have CIYAM Open, which is actually an app in itself built with the actual "CIYAM" software. (You create things from within, like you said, although not necessarily templating). CIYAM Open is intended to use task based work to supposedly provide higher quality results. I have never had luck on places like freelancer, elancer, etc, because the scammers assholes hard workers there are either over promising and under delivering, or just downright unskilled and misrepresenting themselves. So while you're prepaying them to do something they can't possibly do, they're only thinking about how to do as little work possible (and often purposely fail just so they can keep the "token payment", rinse, repeat). Opposed to that, CIYAM Open was supposed to solve that by forcing people to outline the task at hand, and then bid against each task by others in their field (not by price, but by time-to-complete), forcing the quality to go up, and not throwing all your eggs into one basket. I think it's both nifty and highly secure (as a web app).

On the other hand, CIYAM itself is a highly secure stand alone engine that allows pretty much anything to be built through it securely and simply so that companies (and individuals) can basically design entire software infrastructure (thinks like Facebook, eBay, etc) by just piecing tools together and telling CIYAM what you want. I wouldn't think of it so much as a template as much as an API for creating secure apps. CIYAM is very complex, and CIYAM Open is only now getting simplified. Last I checked there was a full redesign in progress from BitInstant's designer. Can't wait to see it. I guess it will replace sites like Freelancer.

To be honest, I started learning VC++ back when I was learning VB, and it was confusing as fuck for me (I started on BASIC, and everyone says, if you learn VB/BASIC, it fucks you up for real languages-- they're right! I had no idea why you needed to even declare memory space for variables etc! "Isn't that automatic? LAME"). That said, after looking at CIYAM Open and reading about it in Ian's threads, I totally fell in love with C++.

I have *no* idea why anyone would make a financial service these days in anything other than C/C++ now.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 02:18:15 PM

IMO, beside the scammers, the incompetence of these kids is one of the biggest obstacles to solid Bitcoin services.

How about some industrial-strength Microsoft Web servers, ASP MVC, .NET and C++ programming of the adults?

Java FTW
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 02:20:15 PM

IMO, beside the scammers, the incompetence of these kids is one of the biggest obstacles to solid Bitcoin services.

How about some industrial-strength Microsoft Web servers, ASP MVC, .NET and C++ programming of the adults?

Java FTW

I've heard Java is great if you want to do Android apps and such, but not so much for web apps (desktop) because of the need to download and run Java, which is apparently dangerous now(?). Maybe HTML5 and OpenGL are gonna replace both Javascript and Java eventually.

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 02:22:27 PM

I've been trying to see what CIYAM can do for me.  Though, CIYAM is like a boxed templating engine.  No coding.  So...fail when it comes to thinking out of the box.

What I have created is something that is very new - there is no coding because there is no need for it - it is not *templating* in any sense that people are familiar with at all.

If you take a look at "Intentional Software" then you might begin to get a glimpse of what that CIYAM platform is about. It can actually create basically any "arbitrary" code you like without you needing to hand-code it.

Imagine templates that are combined with templates many levels deep and some can be as simple as a logical expression such as x = x + y. If you can grasp this then you'll begin to realise that CIYAM is absolutely *nothing* like anything you have seen before.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: