Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:43:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I will create a forked bitcoin chain  (Read 6871 times)
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:58:48 AM

But you all missed the TRUE OP's goal :
to confuse/delude(or defraud ?) as many Bitcoin users as he/she/CIA can...

Based on the comments right after yours, it looks like that attempt is successful, unfortunately.

Whats the worse that can happen? They can't use this fork to steal coins can they?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wingding (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:07:02 PM

But you all missed the TRUE OP's goal :
to confuse/delude(or defraud ?) as many Bitcoin users as he/she/CIA can...

Based on the comments right after yours, it looks like that attempt is successful, unfortunately.

Whats the worse that can happen? They can't use this fork to steal coins can they?
It depends from...
well, how this forking will be done.

The forking can't harm bitcoin in any way. If so I would have found a fatal weakness - but no. And regarding Ukigo's comment; I do not have ill intentions for bitcoin - on the contrary! I urge you to read my earlier post explaining the motivation. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179961.msg1878463#msg1878463
wingding (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:17:29 PM

Before anything happens can we get a date for when the fork will be?

I want to move all my Bitcoins to a wallet I control before the fork. (Some of my coins sit in exchanges)

A key point for success - and the key difference from the current branch history - is that a large community are given opportunity to start at same time. The whole world actually. So the date should be announced well ahead the fork, and software be made available in good time too. Also exchanges and places who hold other peoples coins must be given time to keep track of the owners of the bitcoins at the point of the fork. (in my main paper I suggested 1st September mainly as an example date)

As one can see from this thread, there are a lot of technical question, innovation and decisions to be resolved. So the idea is still premature. But I would really like to see some experimenting take place.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 02:17:37 PM

A forked chain just for the purpose of testing Bitcoin's resiliency to forks would be interesting and possibly useful.  If somebody who had a quantity of coins on the original Bitcoin chain and a significant bit of hashing power started running a modified client, and convinced a few others to join, and conducted some transactions on the forked chain for awhile, it would be interesting to see what it did to the main network and if it reveals anything that needs to be done to make Bitcoin resilient to this as a form of attack.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:19:59 PM

I will create a forked chain of bitcoin to accomdate for broad adaptation.

The only major change from the old chain is:

Reward of 200 BTC per block for each new block - (never changed)

• The chain will produce 10.5 million coins/year (which is far from enough to cause inflation)
  • The clients (incl source) running the new fork will be made available well ahead of the fork
  • All bitcoins created before the fork will by nature be contained in the new chain

we already have an alternative blockchain. Its called bytecoin. Sorry but its questionable whether there is room in the market for 2 bitcoins there is no question in my mind about whether there is room for 3

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
collapse

Activity: 206
Merit: 102

step forward

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:28:44 PM

You solves nothing with inflation,..., useless bits.

It should be, adjust money supply in reference of transaction-user ratio,..., deterministic mining has no capacity of regulate different scenarios.

Elacoin-ELC,Betacoin-BET,Neutroncoin-NTRN,Americancoin-AMC,Stronghands-SHND,Craftcoin-CRC,DOGE,BCH,BTC,...,Bitcoin,...(and a lot more)
Linux updated wallets (source code) for: ELC, BET, AMC, NKT, SLING, CRC,...
[if (blocknumber > 115000) maxblocksize=largerlimit]   [I don't think the threshold should ever be 0.  We should always allow at least some free transactions.]
Bro

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:44:37 PM

so my bitcoins held at mtgox will not be in that fork, correct? I would have to move them before the fork to bitcoin-qt?
wingding (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:09:07 PM

so my bitcoins held at mtgox will not be in that fork, correct? I would have to move them before the fork to bitcoin-qt?

All bitcoins produced before the fork will be duplicated into the new chain. So all the coins held by mtgox at fork-time will be held by mtgox also in the new chain. Mtgox should keep track of who owns these coins at fork-time, so they can transfer them to their legitimate owners.
Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:13:11 PM

Nope, for two reasons. ...

Thanks for the thoughtful response Stephen. That makes perfect sense.
Red

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:17:29 PM

2d Re-hash all the other blocks at trivial difficulty
3. Checkpoint a particular forking block
These steps aren't necessary. You could prune everything down into one block with just txouts and use that as the genesis block itself.

I agree that makes more sense long term operation. The first solution "seems" easier only as a first step towards your proposal.
Red

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:22:53 PM

A forked chain just for the purpose of testing Bitcoin's resiliency to forks would be interesting and possibly useful.

I'm guessing the BitCoin developers would suggest the TestNet for that...
Red

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:24:37 PM

@wingding, Have you started trying to build the code? Are you a software developer?
wingding (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:32:48 PM

@wingding, Have you started trying to build the code? Are you a software developer?

No I am not skilled in C++. I welcome any initiative taken to test the concept.
Bro

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:41:54 PM

so bitcoins moved on the fork, can be stolen on the original blockchain?

I don't get how do you create an address that is identical on the other blockchain
Red

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:49:17 PM

so bitcoins moved on the fork, can be stolen on the original blockchain?

I don't get how do you create an address that is identical on the other blockchain

Newly created address will be different from the other chain. However, since LinearCoin will copy BitCoin's database of addresses. The same wallet (public keys) you use for BitCoin will also work for your LinearCoin "free-premine".

EDIT: NO, your coins will not be able to be STOLEN under any circumstance. The necessary LinearCoin client would warn you about your pre-fork coins. The easy solution is to just send your coins to yourself. This will push them past the fork on the LinearCoin chain. At worst, someone could copy that transaction and re-submit it to the BitCoin network. That would have the effect of sending your coins to yourself there as well. The BitCoin move will not be automatic. Moving BitCoins effects your "Coin Age". Some may not want that.

I think it is only fair to call this bootstrapping method a "pre-mine". Some people get coins before the p2p network even launches. Those people are current BitCoin holders.

HOWEVER, there is NO ADDITIONAL pre-mine by wingding or I should I choose to help him. I would be doing this purely for the technical experience of creating an alt-coin. I don't want to speak for wingding. He has already made his philosophical reasons known elsewhere.

FULL DISCLOSURE, I am not a BitCoin holder.
I do not know if wingding is a BitCoin holder.

I have made my reluctance to purchase bitcoins known elsewhere as well. However, if you read my old posts you will see that I have a long history on this site. I am also a 100% supporter of BitCoin's use in making ANONYMOUS purchases over the internet possible. That is why I (might) undertake this project.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:45:53 PM

The easy solution is to just send your coins to yourself. This will push them past the fork on the LinearCoin chain.

There's no difference between an address created using Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind versus inflatacoin LinearCoin.  So me sending to my own address is a transaction valid on both chains.  

So the private keys in my LinearCoin client would be as valuable to an attacker as my Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind wallet.dat.

I personally am not a thrill seeker who jumps off bridges tethered by a bungee nor does playing Russian roulette appeal to me.  Trying to use LineaCoin without losing my bitcoins seems like an equal challenge.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 08:56:26 PM

A forked chain just for the purpose of testing Bitcoin's resiliency to forks would be interesting and possibly useful.

I'm guessing the BitCoin developers would suggest the TestNet for that...

I'm sure they would, but it wouldn't be a real test.

Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:59:43 PM

I personally am not a thrill seeker who jumps off bridges tethered by a bungee nor does playing Russian roulette appeal to me.  Trying to use LineaCoin without losing my bitcoins seems like an equal challenge.

This is so silly. Bitcoin isn't going to accept LNC transactions as long as the addresses are incompatible. If the addresses are compatible, no one should touch the software because the designer is brain-dead.

Red

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:11:04 PM

Point taken. You've posted pretty darn intelligently on this subject. Would "rolling-up" all a new LinearCoin user's address into a single new address be any better?

Personally, I think that would be even less popular.
Even if I changed the rules to wave that potential transaction fee, it would affect transaction privacy ON BOTH networks. Creating Etlase2's "Open TX Only" approach would avoid accidental transactions, but it wouldn't change the privacy issues.

That's a shame. I wanted to do that automatic roll-up block work and and donate it back to BitCoin. It's on the future features list.

This is sounding like a dumber and dumber idea. Amazing how hard it is to give out FREE COINS! :-)

------------------

Again, if I undertake this it is just for the practical experience of working with the codebase. I don't really think the LinearCoin philosophy is logically any better than BitCoin's. After all for most of the time I've been watching BitCoin it has been a LinearCoin system. It wasn't till late last year that the mining rate dropped. In fact, for the next couple of years BitCoin will continue to be a LinearCoin system. And the 4 years after that, and after that...

Giving away coins linearly didn't stop the repeated Bubble and Bust cycle over the first 4 years. In that regard things haven't changed in the second 4 years. Isn't that what makes Coin speculation fun for so many people?
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 10:15:38 PM

Can you develop a genetic proof of work that changes over time to prevent ASICs from dominating the ecosystem? Also how will you address transaction fees and the notion of colored coins? Are you writing a whitepaper like satoshi did to explain some things? I would be willing to help write code for you if we are philosophically aligned

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: