Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:08:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How interested are you in a Bitcoin Island Community?
I have 300 BTC to purchase a spot to live in a Bitcoin community
I have 300 BTC but would like to invest only / rent to others
I don't have 300 BTC but would consider renting from others
I'm just passing through or would like to contribute in other ways
Freedom scares me... I just want to use Bitcoin as a regulated, slightly cheaper Paypal alternative

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Island/City and More  (Read 26372 times)
benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:06:01 PM

Why does this thread read like a bunch of 14 year old kids planning to run away from home so they don't have to do chores any more?

Probably because you decided to fill the last 6 pages of my thread with a discussion of seasteading.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:47:39 PM

I think that you talked about Nauru elsewhere, but the internet micro-nation of Wirtland already tried that one.

See: https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtland_(micronation)

Perhaps this is the website of the OP: http://bitcoinisland.org/ No 'shady' palm trees.  Huh Awww  Wink

oh wow! that makes wirtland the worlds first phile! man you are good at coming up with cool links arnt you

I made a post about phyles back in the newb forum. Unfortunately it got no reactions except for mobodicks "but you need centralization for roads, man!" Cheesy

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=153644.msg1630617#msg1630617

Wirtland is new to me (thanks for bringing this up! I am on a constant lookout for the idea of phyles getting more traction) but a logical step for them would be to adopt btc (even though they do have their own currency already, but being the first online based nation, why not adopt the first online based currency?). Personally I'd love to see what happens.

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 08:35:57 PM

I think that you talked about Nauru elsewhere, but the internet micro-nation of Wirtland already tried that one.

See: https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtland_(micronation)

Perhaps this is the website of the OP: http://bitcoinisland.org/ No 'shady' palm trees.  Huh Awww  Wink

oh wow! that makes wirtland the worlds first phile! man you are good at coming up with cool links arnt you

I made a post about phyles back in the newb forum. Unfortunately it got no reactions except for mobodicks "but you need centralization for roads, man!" Cheesy

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=153644.msg1630617#msg1630617

Wirtland is new to me (thanks for bringing this up! I am on a constant lookout for the idea of phyles getting more traction) but a logical step for them would be to adopt btc (even though they do have their own currency already, but being the first online based nation, why not adopt the first online based currency?). Personally I'd love to see what happens.

it would be awesome if we could get wirtland to adopt btc as its official currency. It would make a lot of sense. Still part of building the facade of a legitimate nation state is the issuance of your own currency, so i dont see a group of people who are vying for legitimacy accepting a stateless currency.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
TomUnderSea

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:21:37 PM

Why does this thread read like a bunch of 14 year old kids planning to run away from home so they don't have to do chores any more?

Probably because you decided to fill the last 6 pages of my thread with a discussion of seasteading.

And buying your own private island was hugely different from seasteading?

I'm not seeing a realistic threat assessment or security plan for Bitcoin Island either.

In fact it looks like a perfect kidnapping / hostage taking opportunity.   Bunch of nobodies with money in an obscure location holding  a fortune in untraceable currency.

What could go wrong?

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:05:57 PM

And buying your own private island was hugely different from seasteading?

I'm not seeing a realistic threat assessment or security plan for Bitcoin Island either.

In fact it looks like a perfect kidnapping / hostage taking opportunity.   Bunch of nobodies with money in an obscure location holding  a fortune in untraceable currency.

What could go wrong?

i think they could defend themselves against bandits. Its seal team 6 i would worry about.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 10:08:48 PM

As I suggested on the Seasteading forum, I believe one of the best business models would be that of a weapons research facility and manufacturer.

Anyone attacking the site would become test subjects for new products.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:10:52 PM

What could go wrong?

We could post our security plan on the internet, for instance.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:13:43 PM

As I suggested on the Seasteading forum, I believe one of the best business models would be that of a weapons research facility and manufacturer.

that's really smart! and really dumb. but mostly really smart!

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:47:26 PM

that's really smart! and really dumb. but mostly really smart!

Biological engineering (including genetics).
TomUnderSea

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 04:56:58 AM

Guaranteed to attract Seal Team 6.

jasondrey13

Activity: 42
Merit: 7

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 06:42:36 AM

You should look into starting a Charter City in Honduras.  Plenty of info out there but here is a good summary:

http://www.economist.com/node/21541392

Except the governments are growing wary of free spaces at this point.
TomUnderSea

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:16:18 PM

What could go wrong?

For a small fee, I will write up a security plan.  I happen to have some contacts with folks who can implement the plan once it is agreed on.  Seal Team 6 would no longer be a concern.

arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:04:01 PM

What could go wrong?

For a small fee, I will write up a security plan.  I happen to have some contacts with folks who can implement the plan once it is agreed on.  Seal Team 6 would no longer be a concern.

so, cruise missles? high altitude bombs?

better idea: don't piss the big guns off unless you have equally sized guns.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
TomUnderSea

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:25:22 PM

What could go wrong?

You want security from that too?  Your bitcoin wallet is not big enough.  Better stay inside the US associated treaty networks and don't piss off them off.

Either that or go to to Iran/NK/??? and see if you like/trust their offer better.

arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:35:25 PM

What could go wrong?

You want security from that too?  Your bitcoin wallet is not big enough.  Better stay inside the US associated treaty networks and don't piss off them off.

Either that or go to to Iran/NK/??? and see if you like/trust their offer better.

not so much want. more like feel it's nessecary. defenses that hold off seal team 6 imply they're SENDING seal team 6. if they do so and they fail, then they'll send something else, that's all i'm saying.

better idea is to not give reason to send seal team 6 in the first place. a difficult thing, i know.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 04:26:50 PM

yea i mean if you went into the arms trade you would clearly have to be willing to sell arms to hegimons. The point is that this just might allow you to get away with creating a legitimate soveriegn oil platform =P.

DeanC

Activity: 148

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 06:37:25 PM

You should look into starting a Charter City in Honduras.  Plenty of info out there but here is a good summary:

http://www.economist.com/node/21541392
+1

TomUnderSea

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:44:46 PM

yea i mean if you went into the arms trade you would clearly have to be willing to sell arms to hegimons. The point is that this just might allow you to get away with creating a legitimate soveriegn oil platform =P.

More likely, you could only sell arms to those selected by the local seapower.  Given that effective seapower tends to be reserved for the larger powers in the world, they tend to act against destabilizing influences, and selling arms tends to be destabilizing, your list of allowed customers might be very short.

Dan Dascalescu

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 08:49:26 PM

Great to see the interest in a floating community with a strong Bitcoin focus.

I'm the co-founder and CTO of Blueseed, the first commercial seasteading venture, and I'll be speaking at Bitcoin2013. I'm very interested in the topics that the community would like to be discussed during the talk, and I've started a thread to get your feedback.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 08:52:40 PM

This would be my dream, I would love to start a island of my own with a bitcoin community.
I don't know why, it seems like a lot of hard work which sounds really fun to me.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: