Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:16:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How interested are you in a Bitcoin Island Community?
I have 300 BTC to purchase a spot to live in a Bitcoin community
I have 300 BTC but would like to invest only / rent to others
I don't have 300 BTC but would consider renting from others
I'm just passing through or would like to contribute in other ways
Freedom scares me... I just want to use Bitcoin as a regulated, slightly cheaper Paypal alternative

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Island/City and More  (Read 26371 times)
dbinghamjr

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:42:04 PM

Great to see the interest in a floating community with a strong Bitcoin focus.

I'm the co-founder and CTO of Blueseed, the first commercial seasteading venture, and I'll be speaking at Bitcoin2013. I'm very interested in the topics that the community would like to be discussed during the talk, and I've started a thread to get your feedback.

Looking over that site, it would be a "cheaper" way to accomplish something like this... (start up cost listed in their FAQ around 27million USD)... Compared to starting from nothing on a island somewhere...
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoinm

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 03:24:36 PM

It has bothered me seeing the lack of success of the "lets build a city at sea" groups over the past years but I guess it is a testament to the complexity of it.  I greatly look forward to when someone brings something to the table that is actually going to happen, and big enough that it would be accessible to many people with an interest in it.
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 08:52:22 PM

Working on Starting a Bitcoin town here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=216139.0

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 07:44:06 PM

Bitcoin Island Project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-fgf0bxSSg

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4441

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 08:16:35 PM

please ignore finshaggy. he has done less research on laws and stuff then blueseed.

if anything id invest more towards blueseed instead of finshaggy. but overall i will be investing in new hampshire as they are spot on with their developments.

dont hand over cash to these guys. if anything just make a pledge of future funding once they start breaking ground... but dont be funding an IDEA which has no reality..

but if u do like comedy and utopian idea's of a stoner who's mind wonders and plans change within the same 3 minute video. finshaggys videos are worth watch.. some funny facepalm moments to be seen and heard.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 08:40:28 PM

Why is it that when you get more than a few hippie liberals in a room together the conversation always turns into, "hey - let's make a commune."

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 09:14:17 PM

Why is it that when you get more than a few hippie liberals in a room together the conversation always turns into, "hey - let's make a commune."

lol i know what you mean. finshaggy's posts in the other thread are hilarious.. one minute its a town, then a commune, then an island, then a seastead/boat. all for the utopian dream of $10,000 upfront lol lol

he no desires for a bitcoin only community, just like blueseed. they just want a drug allowed/ immigration free zone. but have no money themselves to fund it. so are leeching out their arms to every community they can, making promises that it will be a bitcoin project, as long as they get the cash.

i bet finshaggy is now on those penny per click advertising websites, trying to seek out wealthy advertisers to buy into his commune.. where eventually his library filled with books from a community full of story/novel writers, can then suddenly make brochures and banners/graphic design stuff..

oh wait.. he did actually say that.

a bitcoin commune/ a writers commune/an advertising publishers commune.. whats next.. oops i forgot .. back in video 1 a weed freezone.

with all these different industries, i have no clue where the doctors, nurses, teachers, laywers, architects, construction crew, farmers police, fire rescue, vets, will live, becasue a commune can only hold soo much....

i think its best to invest in the new hampshire state project.. atleast they are not asking for millions of dollars for just 200 beds,

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 09:17:23 PM

lol i know what you mean. finshaggy's posts in the other thread are hilarious.. one minute its a town, then a commune, then an island, then a seastead/boat. all for the utopian dream of $10,000 upfront lol lol

You act like all that stuff isn't in post #1 lol

And $10,000 just gets you the land. Please read before advertising for me Smiley

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 09:19:29 PM

And $10,000 just gets you the land. Please read before advertising for me Smiley
i know it just gets you the land...

emphasis on UPFRONT meaning expect more money to be begged out of people later on

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 09:21:49 PM

emphasis on UPFRONT meaning expect more money to be begged out of people later on

Again, please read. The town will have methods of earning its own money Smiley
If anyone puts money down later it will be on projects of their choosing, not town projects.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 09:25:40 PM
Last edit: May 26, 2013, 09:41:25 PM by franky1

If anyone puts money down later it will be on projects of their choosing, not town projects.

it will take 2 years of buying land, digging holes to connect sewerage, utilities, then building the houses before anyone can even move in...

so out of the 200 supposed residents that pay $2mill total upfront just for the land. how many are going to be the construction crew, architects that will get paid to build them.

i hope your starting to see the dream of possibilities needs stepping stones of reality to reach them.. so stop floating off into the clouds of dreams and start on the ground..

EDIt: now you have video 12... saying that menial jobs are not needed, or no one needs to do real jobs.. mechanics and repairmen will be the biggest jobs.. lol

200 residents.. and majority will be in the robotics industry.. seriously write down on a piece of paper how many judges you need in the town, police, firemen, nurses, doctors, teachers, gardeners, mechanics, shop owners, construction workers, architects, now tell me how many houses you have left in your town..........

your dream is no where close to reality..

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 09:29:23 PM

it will take 2 years of buying land, digging holes to collect sewerage, utilities, then building the houses before anyone can even move in...

I'm done talking to you, you obviously didn't read about the kinds of houses we will be building.

People can build regular houses on the land and spend as much time as they want, but the average living space will be up in a matter of months or weeks.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 09:31:00 PM

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 01:09:19 AM

<pic snipped>

I've not heard talk of a commune from hippies ('my people' historically) since I was a kid in the early 70's.

Libertarians [and/or juveniles] OTOH...there must be 50 threads about that on this forum.  Would you, could you, one a boat?  Would you, could you, with a goat?

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 01:17:25 AM

Libertarians [and/or juveniles] OTOH...there must be 50 threads about that on this forum.

Gee, I wonder why any libertarians would be interested in Bitcoin...  Roll Eyes

Would you, could you, one a boat?  Would you, could you, with a goat?
You got something to say hippy? Don't beat around the bush old man!

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 01:58:56 AM

Libertarians [and/or juveniles] OTOH...there must be 50 threads about that on this forum.

Gee, I wonder why any libertarians would be interested in Bitcoin...  Roll Eyes

It's pretty obvious that the big draw for a lot of you people is that you don't have any real money or a very good idea of how to get any.  So getting rich on BTC is great fodder to go along with fantasies of life in some Libertarian commune.  I wish it were not such a far-flung fantasy because the rest of us would be better off if we didn't have to support you.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 02:18:40 AM

Before anyone thinks that FinShaggy's Bitcoin town idea is in any way libertarian, read this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=216139.msg2269803#msg2269803

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 02:22:24 AM

<pic snipped>

I've not heard talk of a commune from hippies ('my people' historically) since I was a kid in the early 70's.

Libertarians [and/or juveniles] OTOH...there must be 50 threads about that on this forum.  Would you, could you, one a boat?  Would you, could you, with a goat?

It does get a little tedious reading about all the variants of communes started on this forum. I even consider the 20mission type thing a commune of sorts. I remember all the communes that were started when I was young failing miserably shortly after startup. My friends and I talked about making a commune in the 70's but we were broke so we just sat around getting high, fucking each other and watching H.R. Pufnstuf.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:33:35 AM

<pic snipped>

It does get a little tedious reading about all the variants of communes started on this forum. I even consider the 20mission type thing a commune of sorts. I remember all the communes that were started when I was young failing miserably shortly after startup. My friends and I talked about making a commune in the 70's but we were broke so we just sat around getting high, fucking each other and watching H.R. Pufnstuf.

all you need is a garden shed/outbuilding/den for parties and sexual freedom, and a small patch of dirt to grow a few carrots to eat when you get hungry. that is considered a successful commune.

BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:43:31 AM

It's pretty obvious that the big draw for a lot of you people is that you don't have any real money or a very good idea of how to get any. So getting rich on BTC is great fodder to go along with fantasies of life in some Libertarian commune.
No, It's obvious that you're referring to people who obviously don't understand free markets and entrepreneurship.

Since these are basic core beliefs among libertarians, it's pretty safe to say that you're talking about non-libertarians with that remark.

Afterall, there are tons of CEOs of fortune 500 companies that are libertarians. Peter Thiel gives tons of money to libertarian causes every year.

I wish it were not such a far-flung fantasy because the rest of us would be better off if we didn't have to support you.
What exactly is your problem with freedom bro?

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: