Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:02:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Who likes pod miners?  (Read 55837 times)
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 12:43:07 PM

Lol I meant to say PSU cost is off-putting (not outputting) compared to a normal plug.

Sure you can get cheap PSU's, but I always hear nightmare stories.
If you're not pulling too much wattage from them they'll last. I have a couple machines with cheap PSUs and they run fine 24/7. If you're too concerned you can go for a used 80+ PSU or an EVGA (20 bucks refurbished on Newegg, pretty sure it's less) and they work fine and won't be too expensive.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
in2tactics

Activity: 578
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 10:44:04 PM

... I always hear nightmare stories.
Yes, you hear nightmare stories about people trying to put 100% load 24/7 on a POS PSU. That is not the usage case being talked talked about.

Current HW: 2x Apollo
Retired HW: 3x 2PAC, 3x Moonlander 2, 2x AntMiner S7-LN, 5x AntMiner U1, 2x ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube, 4x AntMiner S3, 4x AntMiner S1, GAW Black Widow, and ZeusMiner Thunder X6
Morguk

Activity: 594
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 10:45:38 PM

Could be a UK thing, they are about £35/$46 for a branded one.

Calculate the chance of hitting a bitcoin block when solo mining at
leowonderful
Legendary

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 01:23:43 AM

Could be a UK thing, they are about £35/$46 for a branded one.
Yeah, we get PSUs much cheaper here in the US and they're often on nice discounts (got a 500w 80+ new for 20 once). I get a few every now and then, UK always seems to have higher pc part costs.
Morguk

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 11:45:46 AM

How's it going sidehack?

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 01:09:14 PM

Pretty decent I reckon. Had a few days last week to just almost finish up the BM1384 Terminus redesign. I need to give it a once-over, double-check the layout before sending off for boards but I'm hoping to do that this week.

Problem is, Saturday night I got a huge ASAP cable order that's eating all the time I had padded into this week for doing that and a few prep projects I wanted to get done to speed up 2Pac manufacture now that my helper left. MacEntyre doubled his order, and Batch 3 PCBs arrive next week, so even without Terminus stuff or cables or any other projects, I have work lined up until about August.

Check back soon though. I've got four Terminus pod PCBs I'm going to try and retrofit with the new buck module I've got working. Once they're functional I'm planning to auction them off here to help raise money for a friend's medical bills.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
jekecoin

Activity: 427
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2017, 03:43:15 PM

Pretty decent I reckon. Had a few days last week to just almost finish up the BM1384 Terminus redesign. I need to give it a once-over, double-check the layout before sending off for boards but I'm hoping to do that this week.

Problem is, Saturday night I got a huge ASAP cable order that's eating all the time I had padded into this week for doing that and a few prep projects I wanted to get done to speed up 2Pac manufacture now that my helper left. MacEntyre doubled his order, and Batch 3 PCBs arrive next week, so even without Terminus stuff or cables or any other projects, I have work lined up until about August.

Check back soon though. I've got four Terminus pod PCBs I'm going to try and retrofit with the new buck module I've got working. Once they're functional I'm planning to auction them off here to help raise money for a friend's medical bills.
Hi side, great news, I have arround 20 cent of btc, I don't know if enought, even if I can buy it, thanks for your efforts in the community.

Hard obsoleto                    VPS: Digitalocean                     Cloudmining: Cex.io · EOBOT                    Gambling: Primedice
Morguk

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 08:59:05 PM

Lots of work to do, but you're the man!

Will definitely check back (always do!) and best wishes to your friend.

leowonderful
Legendary

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 10:21:37 PM

Sounds good! Better response than some other bigger miner manufacturing ompanies, I will definitely check in on the auction. Sounds like you're plenty busy right now, keep us updated with any important information!
xxooss

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 03:45:18 PM

Glad you are busy sidehack...I cant wait for the pod testing to start.  On a side note I have an idea about a miner retrofit, but not hardware...building a driver or whatever to run an existing design in a different way to utilize the ability of an older platform.

I am in way over my head...lol.  I will send you a PM with more details but its not something I want you to address right now. Just keep it in the back stack of you minds eye and we will maybe talk in a few months. Smiley
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 12:04:59 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1987503.new#new

Auction for four prototype Terminus pod miners.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
ab1jx

Activity: 79
Merit: 18

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2017, 06:13:49 PM

What's happening with the BF16 pods?  The BF16 stuff is the only thing I'm interested in because it'll be obsolete fast enough.  I can't see sinking money into more BM1384 stuff.  I've got a 2Pac, it works, but it doesn't break even.  Turning the speed up or buying more isn't going to make it more profitable because the power consumption will just rise too.
AJRGale

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 02:13:57 AM

What's happening with the BF16 pods?  The BF16 stuff is the only thing I'm interested in because it'll be obsolete fast enough.  I can't see sinking money into more BM1384 stuff.  I've got a 2Pac, it works, but it doesn't break even.  Turning the speed up or buying more isn't going to make it more profitable because the power consumption will just rise too.

ima quote sidehack here..
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume nothing's changed in the last four days.

Or, to quote myself,

No marked progress since the last update, hence no update.

Because:

Yeah, I've been eyeballs-deep in manufacturing since around February and haven't really had much time to put into new designs. Especially since the BM1384 pod took more iterations than intended to be fully functional.
cshelswell

Activity: 615

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2017, 05:08:20 AM

This looks cool! Are there any still going?

Cheers

ab1jx

Activity: 79
Merit: 18

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2017, 07:47:52 PM

ima quote sidehack here..
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume nothing's changed in the last four days.

Or, to quote myself,

No marked progress since the last update, hence no update.

Because:

Yeah, I've been eyeballs-deep in manufacturing since around February and haven't really had much time to put into new designs. Especially since the BM1384 pod took more iterations than intended to be fully functional.

OK, I saw that, I thought maybe it moved to a different thread and I missed it or something.  Very frustrating to see time going into old technology that mostly can't break even while the 16 nm stuff that might is on a back burner.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 09:27:37 PM

You're frustrated? Try being the guy that works 70-hour weeks in a 95-degree shop (for what amounts to well under minimum wage) designing and building stuff for people who whine on the internet. Last week I got a full-time helper for manufacturing for the first time ever and I've been building miners for two years now. Only got a helper because my mom lost her job so we're helping each other out.

You want something, go make it. Can't make it? Don't complain. I got more skin in the small-miners game than anyone else in the world has had since 2014 and I'm working as hard as I can to fill that gap. I'll get it when I get it.

AJRGale

Activity: 767

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 11:50:24 PM

You're frustrated? Try being the guy that works 70-hour weeks in a 95-degree shop (for what amounts to well under minimum wage) designing and building stuff for people who whine on the internet. Last week I got a full-time helper for manufacturing for the first time ever and I've been building miners for two years now. Only got a helper because my mom lost her job so we're helping each other out.

You want something, go make it. Can't make it? Don't complain. I got more skin in the small-miners game than anyone else in the world has had since 2014 and I'm working as hard as I can to fill that gap. I'll get it when I get it.

Yeah, common slave, make us out money machines! you're supposed to be as fast as the big boys yo! /s

i wish i could just move over your way from aus and give you a hand as well. You really have more then enough on your plate to several people something to do.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 11:57:36 PM

The new revision Terminus pod PCBs arrived yesterday. Hopefully I have some time soon to get one built, but I'll have to take a day or two to write some micro firmware before it's really workable. Once that's golden I'll be able to make and sell them as well.

I contracted out the main regulator for BF16 pods since that's the part of the Terminus that gave me the most trouble. So at least that won't cause delays.

Zbc3A

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2017, 06:47:16 AM

Thank you for the update and I look forward to the terminus miners. Your hard work is appreciated.
nuanicaj

Activity: 178
Merit: 12

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 07:23:14 PM

Can't wait til you send me the bf16 POD. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: