Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:44:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Road to RX 570/580 7 GPU MINING RIG  (Read 83707 times)
fathal

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2017, 04:59:03 PM

driver limitation of the rx 500series can't do 6 or more gpu yet

I noticed this today, i can get to work only 5 of 6, 570GPU with the latest AMD driver.
I think i will flash to 470 vendor and stay using  17.1.1 relive.

There was no error, windows just rebooted after all gpus stopped. (so the windows loaded it, after instant reboot )

Great idea! Please flash 1 card of 6 and try.
If it will work - tell us how You did it.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gigasnike95 (OP)

Activity: 36

View Profile
April 30, 2017, 05:06:44 PM

driver limitation of the rx 500series can't do 6 or more gpu yet

How did you get 6x 570? I've been trying it for a long time with no success   Huh
I noticed this today, i can get to work only 5 of 6, 570GPU with the latest AMD driver.

There was no error, windows just rebooted after all gpus stopped. (so the windows loaded it, after instant reboot )
Q_R_V

Activity: 428
Merit: 250

Inactivity: 8963

View Profile
April 30, 2017, 06:19:28 PM

Just flashed 570 with 470 bios. It was successfull, but i can't install pre 17.4.3 drivers. 17.4.3 can be installed, but after that card is still recognized as rx570. Probably hardware id realted issue.

https://i.imgur.com/moDOY1C.png

Long story short: NOPE
creepas

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2017, 07:31:43 PM

Hello,

asi its possible to flash RX 470 to be seen as 570 i dont think you are right.

cReepas

Xeon_Xeon

Activity: 184
Merit: 103

View Profile
April 30, 2017, 07:52:45 PM

Is the 5 card ok but the 6 card wont boot a Windows only thing? or has someone ran 6 in Linux yet?

Q_R_V

Activity: 428
Merit: 250

Inactivity: 8963

View Profile
April 30, 2017, 10:29:04 PM

Hello,

cReepas

Maybe it depends on card model. I tried with asus strix oc 4gb elpida memory.

Is the 5 card ok but the 6 card wont boot a Windows only thing? or has someone ran 6 in Linux yet?

Linux is fine, 6 rx570 with no problem.
fathal

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 02:10:05 AM

Hello,

cReepas

If Linux supports 6 cards on the same hardware - its 100% Windows and drivers problem. We need some HOT FIX Smiley
Junkey

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 03:39:08 AM

I see talk about 570, anyone have word on getting 6 rx580s to work on either win10 or Ubuntu?
BeyondDeception

Activity: 80

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 04:18:16 AM

Hello,

cReepas

What linux? And do you know if it would do 7 cards? Windows is definitely out until AMD gets a better driver. Best I can do is 5 cards. Windows recognizes all 7 RX580 until I install that damn AMD driver then it won't load. Unless, I remove two of the cards.
M1n0r

Activity: 87

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 04:28:02 AM

Hello here is a guy that make work 6x 580 4gb on linux. He explain it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Di8Jid4eo4
 Wink
Apneal

Activity: 219

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 04:36:34 AM

Hey guys, I've already done a lot of this so let me give some info I learned.

Alright first off, for Z170 and Z270 chipsets, I found that the best way to get the 5th card working is to DISABLE memory encoding, install one graphics card at a time. If you're getting any code 43's on 4 cards, you need to regedit hack Windows "DisplayLessPolicy" and "LimitVideoPresentSources" (google). Once 4 work fine, install the 5th and reboot. Now you should be getting code 12's. NOW you go into BIOS and Enable 4G Encoding. Start Windows. 4 cards may work but one card might report problems. Disable this card in windows, wait 30 seconds, reenable it. It works. If you have older drivers, you're on your way to 6+ GPUs.

Now to those unlucky to have the RX500 series. The newest drivers have a bug which I've submitted a bug report for. Details of this bug can be found here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1604567/polaris-bios-editing-rx5xx-rx4xx/2740#post_26060006

In short, you can disable one of the 5 cards, install the 6th, and boot into Windows fine. Try to enable the last card though, NOEXECUTE BSOD.

However I want to go a bit further here. I was able to get 7 running perfectly fine under Ubuntu. Had to make sure everything was installed UEFI/GPT compatible and also for some reason GRUB bootloader doesn't work with 4G Encoding enabled, so I had to set up booting directly using the kernel's EFI stub loader (google). The reason why I got off Linux is power management, the cards wont accept BIOS voltage values lower than 987mV or so which is much too high for me, and there's no tool like AB to fix it.

Also to those wondering, I've tested flashing RX400 BIOS onto RX500 cards. Here's the weird thing, the cards are HAPPY to accept 400 BIOS. Under GPU-Z and AtiFlash it will show up as Polaris 10 architecture. They fully function and happily mine away. BUT the damn drivers STILL show them as RX580! You cant even get the older drivers to DETECT the backflashed cards! Can't force the 400 drivers on them either. This is a very strange result, because RX400 series can be flashed UP to RX500, and SHOW as RX500.

That's the result of my 3 days of grueling experimentation.
BeyondDeception

Activity: 80

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 04:57:14 AM

Alright first off, for Z170 and Z270 chipsets, I found that the best way to get the 5th card working is to DISABLE memory encoding, install one graphics card at a time. If you're getting any code 43's on 4 cards, you need to regedit hack Windows "DisplayLessPolicy" and "LimitVideoPresentSources" (google). Once 4 work fine, install the 5th and reboot. Now you should be getting code 12's. NOW you go into BIOS and Enable 4G Encoding. Start Windows. 4 cards may work but one card might report problems. Disable this card in windows, wait 30 seconds, reenable it. It works. If you have older drivers, you're on your way to 6+ GPUs.

Now to those unlucky to have the RX500 series. The newest drivers have a bug which I've submitted a bug report for. Details of this bug can be found here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1604567/polaris-bios-editing-rx5xx-rx4xx/2740#post_26060006

In short, you can disable one of the 5 cards, install the 6th, and boot into Windows fine. Try to enable the last card though, NOEXECUTE BSOD.

However I want to go a bit further here. I was able to get 7 running perfectly fine under Ubuntu. Had to make sure everything was installed UEFI/GPT compatible and also for some reason GRUB bootloader doesn't work with 4G Encoding enabled, so I had to set up booting directly using the kernel's EFI stub loader (google). The reason why I got off Linux is power management, the cards wont accept BIOS voltage values lower than 987mV or so which is much too high for me, and there's no tool like AB to fix it.

Also to those wondering, I've tested flashing RX400 BIOS onto RX500 cards. Here's the weird thing, the cards are HAPPY to accept 400 BIOS. Under GPU-Z and AtiFlash it will show up as Polaris 10 architecture. They fully function and happily mine away. BUT the damn drivers STILL show them as RX580! You cant even get the older drivers to DETECT the backflashed cards! Can't force the 400 drivers on them either. This is a very strange result, because RX400 series can be flashed UP to RX500, and SHOW as RX500.

Well - That's a lot more information than I have now, thank you!!! Very much appreciated.

I may have to give unbuntu a try - the wattman tool on the 580's is being glitchy on the rx580's. Every time I make a change - even a fan change - it knocks a card out. Resets to default wattman settings. I have to reset and then one of my card gets the error. Then I disable/re-enable and it works fine. So any changes to voltage aren't working for me right now anyways. What a headache this has been. Not so happy with the 580's right now.
M1n0r

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 05:02:00 AM

Thx for your tips.
I just order 4x 580 Nitro + LE.
I will try to make my first rig.
With 2x 480 Nitro + OC 8G that I'm using + the 4x 580.
I will build a wood case I think.
Apneal

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 05:33:38 AM

Well - That's a lot more information than I have now, thank you!!! Very much appreciated.

I may have to give unbuntu a try - the wattman tool on the 580's is being glitchy on the rx580's. Every time I make a change - even a fan change - it knocks a card out. Resets to default wattman settings. I have to reset and then one of my card gets the error. Then I disable/re-enable and it works fine. So any changes to voltage aren't working for me right now anyways. What a headache this has been. Not so happy with the 580's right now.

Disable Wattman and use MSI Afterburner instead. Much better results. Better control. Profiles. Tuning all cards simultaneously. Etc.

Thx for your tips.
I just order 4x 580 Nitro + LE.
I will try to make my first rig.
With 2x 480 Nitro + OC 8G that I'm using + the 4x 580.
I will build a wood case I think.

I used 580 Nitro+ LE's. They really arent that special for mining, I would have ordered the Nitro+ 570's instead myself had I known that. Difference seems to be 30.5 eth vs 29.5 eth.

Also I've worked with this guy on cases, he's pretty awesome, http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4-15-17-6-GPU-Aluminum-Open-Air-Mining-Rig-Case-Ethereum-Zcash-Bitcoin-/182544436935?
Send him a PM, he'll accept cryptos, his default cases are built great and seat cards great, and for extra fee he can customize the case. Ships them quick too!
M1n0r

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 05:54:20 AM

I used 580 Nitro+ LE's. They really arent that special for mining, I would have ordered the Nitro+ 570's instead myself had I known that. Difference seems to be 30.5 eth vs 29.5 eth.

Also I've worked with this guy on cases, he's pretty awesome, http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4-15-17-6-GPU-Aluminum-Open-Air-Mining-Rig-Case-Ethereum-Zcash-Bitcoin-/182544436935?
Send him a PM, he'll accept cryptos, his default cases are built great and seat cards great, and for extra fee he can customize the case. Ships them quick too!

Thx for the answer I chose the 580 for dual mining Eth/Dcr.
And yes the case look great but finally I will try to use an Ikea wood shelf really cheap.
With your 580 LE do you get samsung ram ?
Apneal

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 06:23:46 AM

Thx for the answer I chose the 580 for dual mining Eth/Dcr.
And yes the case look great but finally I will try to use an Ikea wood shelf really cheap.
With your 580 LE do you get samsung ram ?

Yes, all 7 have Samsung. Used Uber-Mix 2.3 straps (See the big Polaris Bios Editing thread on another board, google). Uber-Mix 3.0 wasnt stable for me but others it works better
fathal

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 06:40:59 AM

Thank You Very much for Your research.
In conclusion - we still have no solution for 6, 7 cards .. Sad
fathal

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 06:47:09 AM

Next tester have same problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnMCST8Pgx4
creepas

Activity: 67

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2017, 06:51:12 AM

I found out that its possible to mod the driver somehow? Maybe this is the way.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=405134

?

Gigasnike95 (OP)

Activity: 36

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 12:45:41 PM

what are the steps to get UEFI and finally get 7 running? is it enough to set like this in the installation?

https://i.imgur.com/8JK53Kl.png
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: