Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:55:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RANSOMWARE impact  (Read 12282 times)
wxa7115

Activity: 2716
Merit: 704

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 12:41:37 AM

Windows was the main target and Windows 10 simply resets and reinstalls too quickly too deal with paying these guys.  The amounts of ransom asked for are too high and the price of a new hard drive is too low.  The last set of ransomware that we saw here wanted more than $1000 in Bitcoin to unlock people’s computers.  For $50, you can get a Walmart 1 TB hard drive and have yourself back up in less than 1 hour.  Last time I looked $100 could get you somewhere in the 10 TB range, at least 5. 
While what you say is true, how much are you willing to pay will depend on how valuable is the information on your computer especially if you don’t have backups, when you take that into account for some it may be worth to pay the ransom to get back your information.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
realinfo.co

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2017, 12:52:52 AM

I feel by Ransomware, people able to know about Bitcoin worldwide, as there is too many people who just don't know still about it
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2017, 06:41:05 AM

Windows was the main target and Windows 10 simply resets and reinstalls too quickly too deal with paying these guys.  The amounts of ransom asked for are too high and the price of a new hard drive is too low.  The last set of ransomware that we saw here wanted more than $1000 in Bitcoin to unlock people’s computers.  For $50, you can get a Walmart 1 TB hard drive and have yourself back up in less than 1 hour.  Last time I looked $100 could get you somewhere in the 10 TB range, at least 5. 

It affected a lot but maybe for bad, The last biggest attack the target was windows and especially windows xp and other old windows version

This doesn't look very plausible overall

What is the purpose of attacking old versions if no one is using them anyway? How many folks are now using, say, Windows 98 or ME? Windows XP seems to be still used on old computers, but their number is gradually diminishing due to natural wear and tear. Further, Microsoft said they would be releasing security patches for Windows XP as well even though the general support for this system is over for a few years already. Regarding saving your system image to an external drive, you can use incremental backups, so you can always revert to a version not yet encrypted by the ransomware

Orielres

Activity: 61
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:32:06 PM

I feel by Ransomware, people able to know about Bitcoin worldwide, as there is too many people who just don't know still about it

Is that the reason why the bitcoin rose a lot soon after the ransomware appearance?
FiiNALiZE

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:40:58 PM

Is that the reason why the bitcoin rose a lot soon after the ransomware appearance?
Seems like it is since there is not much news about anything else that would make the price of Bitcoin to go up. If Bitcoin is that much affected by the Ransomware situation then the price of Bitcoin will get much higher when more people decide to purchase Bitcoin because there’s regular people purchasing Bitcoin and not just criminals anymore.

If Bitcoin goes up to $30,000+ then the price is likely to keep going up since the news about will be everywhere.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
jpoker272727
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 09:04:02 PM

It affected a lot but maybe for bad, The last biggest attack the target was windows and especially windows xp and other old windows version

What is the purpose of attacking old versions if no one is using them anyway? How many folks are now using, say, Windows 98 or ME? Windows XP seems to be still used on old computers, but their number is gradually diminishing due to natural wear and tear. Further, Microsoft said they would be releasing security patches for Windows XP as well even though the general support for this system is over for a few years already. Regarding saving your system image to an external drive, you can use incremental backups, so you can always revert to a version not yet encrypted by the ransomware

You may thing that windows xp is an old version and not used by people but you are wrong, you may use the latest windows 10 with the latest updates.

But remember that there are lots of computers in the world that still operates in Windows XP and in Windows Server 2003 and these are mostly in supermarkets and in public institutions if you didn't know this, so why not attracting these people where they will pay if their important files will get encrypted and the spread of the virus will be very fast and very effective.

And because of this bitcoin has been popular recently and I highly think that it affected the bitcoin price and increased the value of cryptocurrencies in general.
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 11:12:37 PM

The media exaggerates whatever impact crypto ransomware has on circumstances.

Its long been known that 80% or more of retailers on the internet are compromised or h4xed in some manner.

Whether businesses with an internet presence are damaged in fiat or crypto isn't the most relevent topic at this point in time.
Yuuto

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 12:01:46 AM

The media exaggerates whatever impact crypto ransomware has on circumstances.

Its long been known that 80% or more of retailers on the internet are compromised or h4xed in some manner.

Whether businesses with an internet presence are damaged in fiat or crypto isn't the most relevent topic at this point in time.

Agreed. Thing is that it didn't even affect personal computers that much. Most of it was businesses that were not bothered to upgrade to the newest patch aka using an older version. Another thing is that they kept calling it the bitcoin random ware when in fact bitcoin has nothing to do with it apart from being the payment method chosen by the criminals. The biggest impact I would say is the bad image brought over bitcoin. I'm sure that in the end some sort of free solution will be found, in fact I think there might already be a free decrypted. Not sure though.
Celsiuss

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 01:49:08 AM

I don't think so. From my point of view, the media (online newspapers, TV etc.) has done nothing but PROMOTING bitcoin. I read daily in the newspapers how good bitcoin is and why we all should use it. Even with the recent ransomware attack, I can't say that the media focused on bitcoins, but rather how we all should stay safe on the internet and update our systems.

who cares
Vaskiy
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 02:23:36 AM

I don't think so. From my point of view, the media (online newspapers, TV etc.) has done nothing but PROMOTING bitcoin. I read daily in the newspapers how good bitcoin is and why we all should use it. Even with the recent ransomware attack, I can't say that the media focused on bitcoins, but rather how we all should stay safe on the internet and update our systems.
Media cannot promote it directly, because there service rate gets degraded. When something a decentralized system is promoted soon a question could get arose against the concern channel. As stated the didn't focused on bitcoin, but the term was used all the time while spoken about ransomware attack. This has made users the intention to know more about it and be a part of it.

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2017, 08:50:28 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2017, 07:58:12 PM by deisik

You may thing that windows xp is an old version and not used by people but you are wrong, you may use the latest windows 10 with the latest updates

I'm using Linux myself

And yes, I think I can safely claim that Windows XP is an old version. Wtf, this is what Microsoft itself says. But I didn't say that it is not used in the world anymore (I specifically mentioned Windows XP in my post to avoid any further confusion), so it seems you should refrain from ascribing to me what I didn't say and making it look as if I actually meant something like that by combining in one sentence what I did in fact say with what I didn't say. Anyway, you may want to read my post again in its entirety since I asked about how many people are still using Windows 98 or ME, not Windows XP. I hope this will help you avoid making such misleading statements in the future

jpoker272727
Legendary

Activity: 1137

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 10:10:37 PM

You may thing that windows xp is an old version and not used by people but you are wrong, you may use the latest windows 10 with the latest updates

I'm using Linux myself

And yes, I think I can safely claim that Windows XP is an old version. Wtf, this is what Microsoft itself says. But I didn't say that it is not used in the world anymore (I specifically mentioned Windows XP in my post to avoid any further confusion), so it seems you should refrain from ascribing to me what I didn't say and making it look as if I actually meant something like that by combining in one sentence what I did in fact say with what I didn't say. Anyway, you may want to read my post again in its entirety since I asked about how many people are still using Windows 98 or ME, not Windows XP. I hope this will help you avoid making such misleading statements in the future

Even Linux and macOS are target of hackers but the number of people that use linux are mostly those that know more about the technology and IT.

Those that use macOS are mostly those that use macbooks and not all of them are aware how to stay safe from viruses and from ransomware attacks so they are not 100% safe as well.

The bad part is that this virus is spread-ed very fast and in big institutions and when they hear that this happens only by "bitcoin hackers" then of course that this news will have a bad impact into bitcoin.
sportis

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Veni, Vidi, Vici

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 10:27:35 PM

Bitcoin will not fail because of ransomware. Though it gave bitcoin a bad name.

Exactly, and bitcoin was used for such activities even before. The only difference now is that it got more publicity.
But people have to understand that bitcoin wasn't created for criminal activities it was missused like anything else, like any fiat currency and that it can be used for many good and positive things. And that is why we need more positive promotion.

Unfortunately people know a little or nothing about crypto currencies they try to learn some and usually about bitcoin when media start to speak about that. Ransomware and other criminal activities is a good example of this. Therefore there are no many chances explain to them that bitcoin is a currency like fiat and commodity like gold. This task is extremely difficult for middle aged or bigger people who are negative to innovation and technology too. Maybe next generation will be more friendly and familiar to bitcoin usage.
JohnBitCo

Activity: 2030
Merit: 356

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 10:37:52 PM

Bitcoin will not fail because of ransomware. Though it gave bitcoin a bad name.

Exactly, and bitcoin was used for such activities even before. The only difference now is that it got more publicity.
But people have to understand that bitcoin wasn't created for criminal activities it was missused like anything else, like any fiat currency and that it can be used for many good and positive things. And that is why we need more positive promotion.

Unfortunately people know a little or nothing about crypto currencies they try to learn some and usually about bitcoin when media start to speak about that. Ransomware and other criminal activities is a good example of this. Therefore there are no many chances explain to them that bitcoin is a currency like fiat and commodity like gold. This task is extremely difficult for middle aged or bigger people who are negative to innovation and technology too. Maybe next generation will be more friendly and familiar to bitcoin usage.

Yes, those who do not know about the bitcoin in the first place, they when hear about the Ransomware can get bad impact about the bitcoins and its related digital currencies.
Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1030

give me your cryptos

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 02:10:57 AM

Bitcoin is barely mentioned by the media when news of ransonware comes up. I don't think it's a problem. It's just like how lots of illicit trades are done with cash. Does this really affect people's outlook on fiat? Not really.

Education and popularity is key for Bitcoins success.

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
ppaul15

Activity: 56
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 02:20:13 AM

I don't think it was more prominent effect to the market cost truly. Media didn't sensationalized bitcoin, what some other media reports says the danger of the virus is genuine, and not about bitcoin. Or, then again could be increment the cost of bitcoin it you take a look at it since individuals who has been influenced may tend to purchase to pay the payment
jerowacik
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 02:24:29 AM

I don't think it was more prominent effect to the market cost truly. Media didn't sensationalized bitcoin, what some other media reports says the danger of the virus is genuine, and not about bitcoin. Or, then again could be increment the cost of bitcoin it you take a look at it since individuals who has been influenced may tend to purchase to pay the payment
But there is a positive impact that can be felt. Bitcoin is becoming known to many people. Indirectly various elements of society who know ransomware will recognize bitcoin as well. This can not be ruled out. Ransomware has introduced bitcoin to the wider world.
unisilver

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 04:49:39 AM

But there is a positive impact that can be felt. Bitcoin is becoming known to many people. Indirectly various elements of society who know ransomware will recognize bitcoin as well. This can not be ruled out. Ransomware has introduced bitcoin to the wider world.
but i still think that ransomware has introduced bitcoin to the wider world. maybe it did, maybe it did not.
i think this is also because of the media. just like here in our country, media have news about ransome ware but didnot tell anything about bitcoin. they only told about the victims and the needs to pay. but no bitcoin is being said
fuer44

Activity: 1638
Merit: 262

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2017, 05:04:58 AM

Nah, the mainstream media has made surprisingly little mention of Bitcoin in their reporting of the ransomware attacks and it doesn't matter - it's just another crime that people can commit with Bitcoin if they want to.

Bitcoin isn't even the best thing to use for these attacks - Monero and other anonymous alts would ultimately be much better choices.

If anything, the price will go up because of people buying Bitcoin to pay their ransoms   Smiley
I agree with the fact that the media has made little mention of bitcoins, but the media is something and security stuff is other thing.
 the price will go up instantly but when this end Government will begin take serious decisions about bitcoin and its users/holders 

After ransomware attacks, in fact the value of bitcon continues to increase. Yes, you are right maybe after the incident (ransomware) the government will definitely do an action that we ourselves don't know yet.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2017, 05:26:49 AM

I'm using Linux myself

Even Linux and macOS are target of hackers but the number of people that use linux are mostly those that know more about the technology and IT

Could we claim Android users as Linux users too?

If we consider Linux as Linux kernel (just because there is no canonical Linux operating system, Windows style), I think Android users could well count toward being Linux users too. But in no case can we think of them then as more literate technology wise since they are basically the same users who are using Windows on their personal computers and notebooks. I don't like Android much, but I have heard only about a couple of viruses there, and needless to say, they didn't raise as much noise as many Windows viruses customarily do. In fact, they didn't even manage to spread in any significant degree

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: