Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2017, 04:06:57 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.14.2  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Barry Silbert segwit2x agreement with >80% miner support.  (Read 37734 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
pokapeski

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 02:55:39 PM

Miners are completely fools imo. There are so stupids that they are not only act against their own proftis but against their economical future survivor.
If they had activate segwit bitcoin will be much higher in price and bitcoin ecosystem will ha a huge innovation atm.  And innovation means money to everyone especially startups and miners. They will be even in e much better position for a hard fork future proposal.
But what choose this "brilliant" mind? to stall bitcoin and risk a not consensus fork that will create an economical disaster to the whole bitcoin ecosystem.
Especially Bitmain will hit hard from this economical collapse because is one of the Bitcoin mining startups that are heavily exposed to bitcoin ecosystem. They have invest huge amount of money to bitcoin startups and of course to btc mining.

criticism accepted. truly. I fact I take that the problem is a governance one. If there are priorities (high fees due to a bottleneck in tx proccessing) we should have a way to define an agenda and a way to focus proper action whatever it is. What is horrendous it's to play games and meassure our egos over bitcoin* because this is not just cryptocoolness and alt-glamour. This is now people's money.
*by no means I am implying you here but us all Smiley

This summer storm was good in a sense because we could see that bitcoin is stong enough to endure the tension (We still have to make it through august, though). But we have to learn a lesson from this. We may not be the ones taking decisions in this forum but some better way must be found.

Now, governance is a tricky thing. I drop the idea but I reckon that I have no idea of any governance system with which I would be completely confortable in the first place.
POLONIEX TRADING SIGNALS
+50% Profit and more via TELEGRAM
ALTCOINTRADER.CO
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ComputerGenie

Activity: 322

Retired IRCX God

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 03:11:33 PM

I almost can't wait for a year from now when Bitcoin is "suffering" from the next "lack of innovation" and all those that made the base argument that segwit "will lead to new innovation" have to eat crow.  Roll Eyes

I sit and wait for 2019:
Segwit v9.0
"We now only count the length of the final hash in the block weight, thus we have made 3GB blocks fit into 2MB!"
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 956

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 06:09:23 PM

Well, that escalated very fast with those miners signaling Segwit2x. I think Segwit2x will be the compromise that makes everyone happy.

I'm gonna buy a bottle of Bacardy rum when this long-term scaling debat has come to an end.

Signalling means nothing so far! The miners can still play stupid games with us. And some of them will! That's for sure!
Furthermore I will take SegWit and will be happy about that. But a few months later they can fork off if they want! I will definitely not run their client and will definitely not be part of this huge block network they are trying to build.

As far i know getting Segwit via miners is saver than UASF with a possible chain-split. I thought it is compatible with Bip48. If they cheat uss then we dont run there client and ore PoW change.
I still see them as suspicios especially with there rushed HF.

More miners has signaled Segwit2x.

ComputerGenie

Retired IRCX God

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 06:18:46 PM

...More miners has signaled Segwit2x.

[image]
Im' cornfuzzed!
Antpool is signaling Segwit2x and BU:
https://btc.com/stats/pool/AntPool
 Huh

I sit and wait for 2019:
Segwit v9.0
"We now only count the length of the final hash in the block weight, thus we have made 3GB blocks fit into 2MB!"
BTCLuke

Activity: 521

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2017, 07:37:15 PM

Im' cornfuzzed!
 Huh

It's confusing to you that Jihan would signal both of the clients that are in opposition to the Core devs and would help oust them?

Perfect evidence that you simply have no clue what is going on with bitcoin.

Luke Parker
Journalist, BraveNewCoin
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Ιntergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 07:46:20 PM

[image]
Im' cornfuzzed!
 Huh

the code change for support will be at 16 July. For now they can comment to their blocks whatever they like.

ComputerGenie

Retired IRCX God

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 08:01:28 PM

...Perfect evidence that you simply have no clue what is going on with bitcoin.
Perfect evidence that the concepts of sarcasm and irony are entirely over your head.  Roll Eyes

EDIT:
BTW, "what is going on with bitcoin" is the same pissing match that has gone on for the last 30 years (the software guys are crying in their Mommies' panties over the fact that they haven't been able to monetize a protocol in the same manner that the hardware guys have [as evidenced by the thousands of times the software guys (who "only" make hundreds of thousands of dollars to develop a free piece of software) have extended the anti-hardware campaign by repeatedly hurling more unfounded accusations of the hardware guys (who make millions of dollars from physical devices and the use of those devices - ergo "profiting twice") using "covert" asicboost because they know that Joe Average is above demanding evidence for such accusations]). Wink

I sit and wait for 2019:
Segwit v9.0
25hashcoin

Activity: 476

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 08:41:09 PM

Perfect evidence that the concepts of sarcasm and irony are entirely over your head.  Roll Eyes

Lol, save fail.
squatz1

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 09:33:33 PM

The thing that we're going to have to understand is that if the miners want to do this and if we don't agree we can simply stop using the currency all together and stick to using the one we love, we don't have to follow in their hard fork if you don't want to. I do fully support it think this is the best for Bitcoin, but I don't really know what the others hear think about it.
Well, that escalated very fast with those miners signaling Segwit2x. I think Segwit2x will be the compromise that makes everyone happy.

I'm gonna buy a bottle of Bacardy rum when this long-term scaling debat has come to an end.

I'm going to be with this guy and just simply get the point of simply praying that this will be the end all be all for this debate. Maybe the fucking TX fees will go down from the insane prices they're at now as well, please miners?

ComputerGenie

Retired IRCX God

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 09:45:12 PM

Every time "the price of tx frees" is mentioned in all of this, I taste a little bit of sick in my mouth. It's sad to see the politicized buzz-words/phrases that get tossed into this mix. Cry

I sit and wait for 2019:
Segwit v9.0
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 1694

#BEL+++

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2017, 10:09:02 PM

Every time "the price of tx frees" is mentioned in all of this, I taste a little bit of sick in my mouth. It's sad to see the politicized buzz-words/phrases that get tossed into this mix. Cry

BTW, Amir Taaki is back in town from the frontline (w/ AK47) in Syria. things could get funny again.

BTCLuke

Activity: 521

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2017, 10:25:03 PM

Perfect evidence that the concepts of sarcasm and irony are entirely over your head.  Roll Eyes
Oh please... You were about a sarcastic as Janet Yellen delivering a report to congress.

We're in a visual medium here, so you can't use icons like Huh to end your otherwise drooling-newbie mistaken posts and have other people imagine that you were just being sarcastic.

Worse yet, if you were being sarcastic, you would have been defending the core dev team with that statement... And then turned around seconds later to tear them down, accusing them of " hurling more unfounded accusations of the hardware guys." -Which is ludicrous but that's another argument.

So it couldn't have been sarcasm. Give it up.

Luke Parker
Journalist, BraveNewCoin
classicsucks

Activity: 358

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 10:27:18 PM

What's also amusing is the corresponding drop in transactions back to normal basal levels again now that all those pools are in agreement about what to do next. This adds circumstantial evidence that someone was injecting all that shit into the transaction biosphere to make it look like there was a transaction volume crisis there that didn't exist.

I pointed out the drop in mempool spam a few weeks ago and nobody commented. What's interesting is fees haven't gone down, probably because the blocks are still full and people have their fees cranked up to avoid stuck transactions. Since the blocks are full, I'm guessing that fake volume with a lot of inputs was clogging the mempool. I also saw last month 1000s of transactions that were invalid, that slowed the network down, indicating an actor with high technical knowledge.

I'm hoping somebody who is more technically knowledgeable than me can figure out who was/is spamming. I know it's not that easy to attribute the transactions. Chances are we could at least get a source IP address, and then work from there...
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Ιntergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 10:28:41 PM

What's also amusing is the corresponding drop in transactions back to normal basal levels again now that all those pools are in agreement about what to do next. This adds circumstantial evidence that someone was injecting all that shit into the transaction biosphere to make it look like there was a transaction volume crisis there that didn't exist.

I pointed out the drop in mempool spam a few weeks ago and nobody commented. What's interesting is fees haven't gone down, probably because the blocks are still full and people have their fees cranked up to avoid stuck transactions. Since the blocks are full, I'm guessing that fake volume with a lot of inputs was clogging the mempool. I also saw last month 1000s of transactions that were invalid, that slowed the network down, indicating an actor with high technical knowledge.

I'm hoping somebody who is more technically knowledgeable than me can figure out who was/is spamming. I know it's not that easy to attribute the transactions. Chances are we could at least get a source IP address, and then work from there...

or more possible because wallet failed to calculate right the fee right now. Today even a transaction with zero fees has confirmed

JessicaG

Activity: 260

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 10:31:20 PM

Kindly help a not-so techie a bit, as the term 'SegWit2x' is confusing for me:

BIP148, USAF, SegWit, I understand those. But SegWit2x, that confuses me; I assume that SegWit2x is just another name for SegWit2Mb ?
-ck
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 2198

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2017, 10:31:47 PM

Im' cornfuzzed!
 Huh

They're infamous for doing shit like that purely to save face from having to admit they're backpedalling on their BU stance. It's just a coinbase message so it doesn't cost them anything in terms of risk to leave it in there. BU was always just a bargaining tool for them in the first place once UASF was mentioned. Now that they have a way to make it look like they're not actually agreeing to core, even though they actually are, they can finally get rid of it but they're proving their usual level of inertia with previous claims. Most of the other pools that are either covertly or overtly under bitmain's control are still doing the same thing. These morons need to get off their arses and be clear about their message and stop adding conflicting messages to their coinbase. The joke got tired a long time ago.

Segwit2x support over 24 hours is now over 55% making it higher than any activation signal to date and looks set to easily get to the 80% required to start signalling in mid July. Adding the existing BIP141 signalling pools to the total means segwit is a surety unless something happens for them to start backpedalling on their agreement.

This whole approach was really stupid in the first place by the mining agreement and I'm just glad someone stepped up to the plate to make their incompatible bit4 nonsense compatible with existing core nodes and segwit activation.

Primary developer/maintainer for cgminer and ckpool/ckproxy.
Pooled mine at ckpool.org Solo mine at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 1694

#BEL+++

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2017, 10:35:02 PM

BIP148, USAF, SegWit, I understand those. But SegWit2x, that confuses me; I assume that SegWit2x is just another name for SegWit2Mb ?

yes it is. are you already married?  Cool

-ck
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 2198

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2017, 10:36:20 PM

or more possible because wallet failed to calculate right the fee right now. Today even a transaction with zero fees has confirmed

Pretty much this. A lot of the wallets, both online and standalone are not that smart with respect to fees and have been manually adjusted to higher levels and haven't been adjusted back down. Anyone running bitcoin core/qt which has a dynamic fee estimator would have noticed the drop in recommended minimum fees to just over 100 satoshi per byte over a week ago.

This site has been showing it for a while too if people have been paying attention instead of using some braindead default:
https://bitcoinfees.21.co/

Primary developer/maintainer for cgminer and ckpool/ckproxy.
Pooled mine at ckpool.org Solo mine at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
JessicaG

Activity: 260

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 10:43:42 PM

yes it is. are you already married?  Cool

Thank you.

And yes, I'm already married; in a monogamous relation that is, should future questions arise  Wink
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 1680

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 10:44:34 PM

[image]
Im' cornfuzzed!
 Huh

It is indeed possible to generate blocks that are valid to both those proposals. As well as XT, Classic, 8MB, ...

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.