Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:55:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Building Cheap Miners : My "Secret"  (Read 60197 times)
PharmEcis

Activity: 176
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 04:35:49 PM

Sundownz:

Make your life easier, take one of the R815's and install this and then point everything doing CN variants at it.

https://github.com/sebseb7/cryptonote-proxy  Literally point and click to change coins once setup for ALL boxes with ONE click.

Hive makes it super easy too.  You can't one point all your boxes but once wallets are setup properly, it's a snap to change miner and wallet on the fly.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sundownz (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 512

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2018, 03:17:59 PM

Sundownz:

Make your life easier, take one of the R815's and install this and then point everything doing CN variants at it.

https://github.com/sebseb7/cryptonote-proxy  Literally point and click to change coins once setup for ALL boxes with ONE click.

Hive makes it super easy too.  You can't one point all your boxes but once wallets are setup properly, it's a snap to change miner and wallet on the fly.

Thanks I will check into that -- maybe I will use my DL580 HP machine for that =)

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
PharmEcis

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 06:12:03 PM

Thanks I will check into that -- maybe I will use my DL580 HP machine for that =)

You don't need to dedicate a machine for this, running it on a worker will work just fine too.  It's just a relay.
MinersRus

Activity: 214
Merit: 24

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 10:30:05 PM
Last edit: May 23, 2018, 04:17:40 PM by MinersRus
Merited by vapourminer (1)

For those here who are running Ubuntu Linux 16.04 or HiveOS on HP Servers here is how to install HP Support Software and access very useful data from those servers:

Open Shellinabox to the HiveOS server or on Ubuntu go to a command line prompt:

Do the following commands/editing:

Hint: for those using Shellinabox rather than typing it is easier to copy (CTRL C) the text then right click in the Shellinabox and select "Paste from Browser"

#1  sudo mc
#1a go to /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory
#1b touch hp-proliant-support-pack.list
#1c add this line into the above file: deb http://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/downloads/MCP/ubuntu xenial/current non-free
#1d F2 to save file, F10 to exit edit, F10 to exit MC

#2: sudo apt-get update

#3: sudo apt-get install hpsmh hp-snmp-agents hp-smh-templates hponcfg hp-health

Now you can access server data using the HPASMCLI Commands

HP ProLiant Servers - HPASMCLI Commands
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03474917

To access the power consumption readings on a server running a Linux operating system (OS), sum the “Power” data from all power supplies that are present. The Linux command below will return the power supply data needed:

hpasmcli -s "show powersupply"

This is an example from one of my HP DL580 G7 Servers:

root@dl580_g7_1:~# hpasmcli -s "show powersupply"

Power supply #1
        Present  : Yes
        Redundant: No
        Condition: Ok
        Hotplug  : Supported
        Power    : 390 Watts
Power supply #2
        Present  : Yes
        Hotplug  : Supported
        Power    : 425 Watts
Power supply #3
        Power Supply not present
Power supply #4
        Power Supply not present

I currently am on 120 VAC so these power supplies can only supply 900 watts. The above 815 watts is too close to that limit so I am running the system using the "Balanced Power Mode" which shares load between the power supplies.

When I get these on 240 VAC the power supplies can supply 1200 watts each so I will switch to "High Efficiency Mode" which will pull power from only one supply and have the other in redundant very low power mode. This will save me some watts. I like that I can use this command to see my power usage even when running on 240 VAC.

Another interesting feature is that when you switch mining algorithms or add additional GPUs you can see the power usage differences. I have two of my HP DL580's using 8x GTX 750's while one still only has four GTX 750's. The power difference between them is 170 watts so I know that each GTX 750 is using 42.5 watts.

Original details on how to do this was found here:

Install HP Support Software in your Ubuntu Server
https://thejoyofstick.com/blog/2013/04/28/install-hp-support-software-in-your-ubuntu-server/

I modified the above to fix installation errors.

Other interesting HP commands:

hpasmcli -s "show temp"
hpasmcli -s "show IML"
hpasmcli -s "show fans"

Note: doing this command: hpasmcli -s "clear IML"
will cause a "*** buffer overflow detected ***: hpasmcli terminated " and stack trace but does clear the IML log

root@dl580_g7_1:~# hpasmcli -s "show IML"

The IML Log is empty.

Clearing the log is useful if you purchased the system used. That way any issues that get logged now are from when you were using the system and not stale issues from before you had the system.

dhouse

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 12:22:25 PM

I found that Dell t5500s are more expensive, but t5400s I'm seeing for less than $200, and they have a 875w PSU. I'm kinda thinking that's a steal and a super good way to get rigs and up running cheap and fast. I don't I'd have to buy anything besides the GPUs and risers, right?
MinersRus

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 02:13:52 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2018, 02:52:05 PM by MinersRus

I found that Dell t5500s are more expensive, but t5400s I'm seeing for less than $200, and they have a 875w PSU. I'm kinda thinking that's a steal and a super good way to get rigs and up running cheap and fast. I don't I'd have to buy anything besides the GPUs and risers, right?

Do not buy Dell T5400's for mining. The CPU's on them are not useful for mining as they lack the AES instruction. Also these systems use power wasting FB-DDR2 memory. Take a look at that huge fan just to cool the memory. These systems also have an issue with power supply failures. I bought four of these systems in 2015 (before I got into mining) and got rid of them by 2017.

A better option is to buy Dell T3500 Workstations and change the processor to one of the Intel Xeon 3600 processors that have the AES instruction.

Dell T3500's for about $90 right now
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=dell+t3500&_sacat=0&_sop=15&LH_BIN=1

Intel Xeon W3670, W3680, W3690 have the AES instruction
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/TYPE-Xeon%203600.html

You can also use Xeon's from the 5600 family in the T3500. I would only recommend X5650 or higher processors.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/TYPE-Xeon%205600.html

dhouse

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 03:07:45 PM

Do not buy Dell T5400's for mining. The CPU's on them are not useful for mining as they lack the AES instruction. Also these systems use power wasting FB-DDR2 memory. Take a look at that huge fan just to cool the memory. These systems also have an issue with power supply failures. I bought four of these systems in 2015 (before I got into mining) and got rid of them by 2017.

A better option is to buy Dell T3500 Workstations and change the processor to one of the Intel Xeon 3600 processors that have the AES instruction.

Dell T3500's for about $90 right now
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=dell+t3500&_sacat=0&_sop=15&LH_BIN=1

You can also use Xeon's from the 5600 family in the T3500. I would only recommend X5650 or higher processors.

awesome! THANK YOU!

edit: Do these have PSUs that could power multiple cards though?
dhouse

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 05:21:46 PM

Sundownz:

sundownz, are the z400s still your desktop of choice for making a 3-4 gpu rig? I know you switch out a lot of the parts, but if I just get a z400, a new PSU, and use your PSU connector trick, can I just run 3 gpus on it like that? Don't really need a fast cpu or more than 4 gb ram, I don't think?
sundownz (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 512

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 07:02:07 PM

Sundownz:

sundownz, are the z400s still your desktop of choice for making a 3-4 gpu rig? I know you switch out a lot of the parts, but if I just get a z400, a new PSU, and use your PSU connector trick, can I just run 3 gpus on it like that? Don't really need a fast cpu or more than 4 gb ram, I don't think?

Yes I won't use anything else but the Z400s at this point.

You don't HAVE TO change the CPU or add more than 4 GB for a 3 card rig, no.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Storx

Activity: 322
Merit: 233

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 12:56:55 PM

This is some of the batteries i got last month from going around and asking politely from many locations and picking up some from locations that told me they would place them to the side for me...

The lithium batteries for your power wall i understand man. Good job on saving money on those.. But these old laptop batteries?

If you don't mind may i ask what you use them for? Thats a lot of junk that could be flammable if i understand correctly.

I open them up and remove the 18650 cells, then i test them in clusters to find out the cells health and capacity with a bulk tester.

I have used them for numerous projects, i built 2 batteries for my electric assist catrike bicycle i ride weekly around town, i built 5 powerwalls so far that are all linked together, and i replaced the batteries in my RV with these so when i travel i have far superior capacity compared to the old 4 lead acid batteries it had previously.

In regards to flammable, they are very stable cells if you use safety precautions... i put a glob of hot glue on the positive end when i finish testing them and sort them by capacity, just so there is far less chance of a short happening in the sorting containers...

My current reason for collection more is im currently building a 3 wheel motorcycle that i plan to power via electric motor.

- GPUs Mining : 128 (Updated 3/7/18) // CPUs Mining : 19 (Updated 2/23/18)
MinersRus

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 07:35:40 AM

Sundownz:

https://github.com/sebseb7/cryptonote-proxy  Literally point and click to change coins once setup for ALL boxes with ONE click.

Hive makes it super easy too.  You can't one point all your boxes but once wallets are setup properly, it's a snap to change miner and wallet on the fly.

Yes I won't use anything else but the Z400s at this point.

You don't HAVE TO change the CPU or add more than 4 GB for a 3 card rig, no.

If you also want to mine on the CPU you will need one that has the AES instruction. The Intel Xeon 3500 series does not have that instruction.

These do:

You can also use Xeon's from the 5600 family in the Z400. I would only recommend X5650 or higher processors.
PharmEcis

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 08:35:07 PM
Last edit: May 02, 2018, 01:08:11 AM by PharmEcis

Miners, it kind of sounds like you are telling the OP what to do with that post even though I think you are pointing it at the guy asking the original question... Cheesy

Sundownz, what is the average payout you are seeing with nemos miner if you don't mind sharing?  I'd like to compare if I can.  ps  Add on FB... Cheesy

Oh and I got my X3 yesterday.  Talk about feeling like I have NH on demand whenever I want it.  This one little box consumes only 550w and puts out over 8x more power than I can produce at 1/25th of the power consumption of the rest of my gear.

MinersRus

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 02:10:41 AM

Miners, it kind of sounds like you are telling the OP what to do with that post even though I think you are pointing it at the guy asking the original question... Cheesy

I just wanted to clarify to dlhouse that if he also wanted to mine with the CPU in the Z400 that it needs to have the AES Instruction from the Xeon W3600/X5600 Series.

As sundownz said the CPU doesn't matter for GPU mining but if dlhouse wanted to pick up some more hashes then it would matter what the CPU is.
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 05:03:57 PM

When I get these on 240 VAC the power supplies can supply 1200 watts each so I will switch to "High Efficiency Mode" which will pull power from only one supply and have the other in redundant very low power mode.

Wouldn't it be better to keep it on balanced and allow your PSUs to be more efficient?

zaqwsx

Activity: 58
Merit: 5

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 05:14:44 PM

When I get these on 240 VAC the power supplies can supply 1200 watts each so I will switch to "High Efficiency Mode" which will pull power from only one supply and have the other in redundant very low power mode.

Wouldn't it be better to keep it on balanced and allow your PSUs to be more efficient?

PSU with 80-90% load is way more efficient than a 2xPSU with 40-45% load.
PharmEcis

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 07:31:04 PM

PSUs are normally more efficient running closer to rated capacity...
trivialmarks

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 09:09:58 PM

i'd say that it's better to keep it balanced and steady. As supplies have certain (+/-)  lifespan, "High Efficiency Mode" isnt contributing but most likely killing it sooner. Wouldnt you say that you'd be killing them one by one? 
MinersRus

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 12:44:46 AM

It all depends on what the efficiency is at the load point.

Right now on 120 VAC my load is 815 watts which sometimes jumps to 825/835 watts. That number is really close to the 900 watt maximum that the 1200 watt power supply can produce at 120 VAC. Which is why I am running in balanced mode.

This is from one of my HP DL580 servers:

Power supply #1                                                                                                                                                                             
        Present  : Yes                                                                                                                                                                       
        Hotplug  : Supported                                                                                                                                                                 
        Power    : 390 Watts                                                                                                                                                                 
Power supply #2                                                                                                                                                                             
        Present  : Yes                                                                                                                                                                       
        Hotplug  : Supported                                                                                                                                                                 
        Power    : 425 Watts

815 Watts total.

When this server is running on 240 VAC the power supplies can supply the full 1200 watts. So 390/425 watts of 1200 is only loading the power supply at 33-35% capacity whereas 815 watts of the 1200 is 68% capacity.

When I an on 240 VAC I will measure both the "High Efficiency" and "Balanced Mode" and chose the better one. If the "Balanced Mode" is only slightly better I probably will still chose "High Efficiency" so that only one power supply is needed and pull the other and keep it in case the first one ever fails.

This article gives an explanation of the differences between "load balancing" and "high efficiency" modes:

How do servers with redundant power supplies balance consumption?
https://serverfault.com/questions/659452/how-do-servers-with-redundant-power-supplies-balance-consumption

It only has a chart for the 750 watt power supply not the 1200 watt power supply.

PharmEcis

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 02:07:56 AM

I've been running on 1 PSU per box for months now with no issues.
MinersRus

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 03:39:07 PM

I've been running on 1 PSU per box for months now with no issues.

Good to know.

---------------

Since I have one DL580 rig with only 4x GTX 750's that is using 800 watts at the wall (120 VAC) I tried the experiment in using balanced vs high-efficiency mode.

With two power supplies installed running balanced mode: 800 watts at wall, 315+365= 680 watts from the power supplies = 85% efficiency

With one power supply installed running high-efficiency mode: 775 watts at the wall, 670 watts from the power supply = 86% efficiency

---------------

A strange problem occurred when I tried high-efficiency mode with two power supplies installed (1 required, 2 for redundancy) and selected high-efficiency mode.  The system ignored the high-efficiency setting and ran both power supplies in balanced mode. No idea why. I had hoped to keep the second power supply in the unit so it would keep the system running in case the main power supply failed but since it uses both I too will only run with one installed.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  

Jump to: