Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:46:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Klondike 1 Avalon Asic chip Mini USB miner  (Read 70594 times)
Noitev (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 505

The Last NXT Founder

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 07:18:05 PM

If DIY doesn't scare you off then nothing should.

Also I think this thread was started by someone other than BKKcoins right?

He is the one doing the dance with the chips etc.

A single is a great idea if you got the chips.

Best idea would be to ask BKKcoins if he would be interested in a group buy sent directly to him for 10K chips. But that would also be a lot to ask... it was mentioned above though by someone else.

Was gonna buy a few hundred chips send it to BKK and do something like that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
caish5

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 04:00:11 AM

at 50 bucks fully built i'd take 4
at 35 i'd take 10!

Bitvolcano YAC, BBQ and WDC P2Pools at http://bitvolcano.com
minter12345

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:21:46 PM

I'd also be very interested in buying a few of these.

Free coins every day: QoinPro Including Bitcoins!
sergio

Activity: 313
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 06:40:33 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2013, 06:54:24 AM by sergio

I am very interested in this Asic miners, it might be my last option to get in the Asic mining business. I hope that it does not happen what has happened with other Asic vendors, that have skyrocketed the prices, have not given priority to forum members, and failed to deliver.

It is very important for us forum members to get Asic bitcoin miners otherwise we will be left out of the mining business relatively soon.

In 2012 my finances were terrible, and now that they have improve I can not get an Asic.

I propose that members of this forum get first priority based on seniority or rank, it would be fair for everyone.

It is not the same selling a Bitcoin mining rig to a miner that has had faith in the bitcoin economy and has been supporting since the early days, than sell that same rig to a venture capitalist that sees that as an opportunity to make easy money and does not really care about Bitcoin being a successful currency, if the companies selling the bitcoin mining rigs do not give us the true miners priority and sell the rigs to the highest bidder like it is happening on ebay, there is a very high risk that some bankers or other anti Bitcoin agencies due a 51% hashing attack, there is nothing wrong in selling to the general public, but I strongly feel that by giving bitcoin forum members priority for the Asics we all win.

I am very worry that Banks or the Federal Reserve could try to sabotage the Bitcoin network by getting a lot of Asic miners from ebay or other sources for them money is no issue, and then launch an attack and then we all lose, users of Bitcoins, merchants, miners, even the very Asic vendors since the Asics have value because Bitcoin has value, if Bitcoin is destroyed it will be a disaster caused by greed, I strongly propose that people in this forum get high priority to Asic mining and then the general public, I have strong faith that Bitcoin is being a very successful currency however as of now it is in its infancy it is like a baby starting to grow, we all must take care of it for it to survive, there will be a time in which it will be strong, stable, and undestructible, but for that time to come it depends on all of us.

I highly recommend that people in this forum be given priority to Asics at reasonable prices that action will strongly help in the security the network, an Asic out in the open market could also help secure the network but it could also fall in the wrong hands (Banks, Paypal, Visa, Mastercard, Federal Reserve, etc) a 51% attack could be launched and us true miners will be powerless to stop such an attack since most of us are still using GPUs which can not compete at such level.

Conclusion: The forum members miners should have priority from every single company selling Asics, be it Avalon, Butterfly Labs, or any of the other players, and then after the network is reasonable secured, sell in the open market.

The Banks are at war with Bitcoin, and for us miners not having access to an Asic is like going to war without a weapon, if we loose the war it is game over for all of us, if we are united we will win and that means making some sacrifices.

I am not sure if it just me or others in this forum are worried that a 51% hashing attack could be launched now that Bitcoin is getting more popular, and due to the fact that many old miners have not been able to get Asics, and the fact that the Banks have been attacking very aggressively the exchanges with regulation and shutting down their accounts. People to some degree has started to trade person to person so Banks will look for other types of attacks.
alibert

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:10:42 PM

So far (afaik) no Avalon batch 2 devices are shipped. Seems Avalon batch 2+ is the new BFL, so no worries...

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 05:11:07 PM

Here's an update of the 3D render for the K1 based on recent Avalon docs release. This is a final pre-prototype board. Will be checking it over for a bit before ordering a batch of boards for testing.

I've updated the parts list and added Gerbers on github for those interested in seeing the board close up. This is untested - do not order boards based on these Gerbers as there are likely some errors. Hopefully I'll catch them before my first prototypes.

I'm working on firmware now for both K16 and K1 (same code).

I know, looks the same, but it's not.
Added a chip and inner layers have the data signals now. ASIC also has thermal vias.
Enjoy.

LaserHorse

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 05:39:53 PM

I would be interested in purchasing said item only if it retains the above-seen color scheme.  Wink

Seriously tho - nice work!

PiMiner - control & monitor your miners with Raspberry Pi   •   BTC: 1AV5JekeEVET5u2jTsLDMRsTtagrBnNTBR
tom_o

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:11:05 PM

I would be interested in purchasing said item only if it retains the above-seen color scheme.  Wink

Not sure if you can get teal PCB lol.

About the thermal vias, does that mean the heatsinking is going to be on the opposite side of the board? That's odd, compared to any other chip I've had to cool anyway.

As for what heatsink to get a northbridge style one could possible work quite well for this.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 06:28:43 PM

About the thermal vias, does that mean the heatsinking is going to be on the opposite side of the board? That's odd, compared to any other chip I've had to cool anyway.

As for what heatsink to get a northbridge style one could possible work quite well for this.
Yes. The board shown is upside down. The heat sink would face up and be on the other side. It would need to be around 1"x1.5", or maybe slightly smaller to give a little space on the top for an LED or two. Nice to have some blinkies for when shares are found.

Noitev (OP)

The Last NXT Founder

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:45:25 PM

Yes. The board shown is upside down. The heat sink would face up and be on the other side. It would need to be around 1"x1.5", or maybe slightly smaller to give a little space on the top for an LED or two. Nice to have some blinkies for when shares are found.

yeah that was a cool idea
LaserHorse

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:39:24 PM

Portability + the likelihood of these hanging off laptops & desktops makes me want to add some sort of enclosure.
Perhaps a minimal 3D printed 'shroud' to cover the underside … with teal & magenta accents, of course.

Bkk - Do you think heat concerns would preclude one from playing USB ASIC dress-up?

PiMiner - control & monitor your miners with Raspberry Pi   •   BTC: 1AV5JekeEVET5u2jTsLDMRsTtagrBnNTBR
Noitev (OP)

The Last NXT Founder

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:45:21 PM

I alreeady had some guy offer to make plastic cases for free. my biggest nee dis acquiring at least 500 chips from an early order. if anyone has any from any early order and is willing to sell them for a premium, please pm me!
erschiessen

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:52:37 PM

Portability + the likelihood of these hanging off laptops & desktops makes me want to add some sort of enclosure.
Perhaps a minimal 3D printed 'shroud' to cover the underside … with teal & magenta accents, of course.

Bkk - Do you think heat concerns would preclude one from playing USB ASIC dress-up?

Anyone old enough to remember Swatch?
How retro cool would it be to have some silicon guard in awful bright colors...

Your Message Here
12KHW3i2Hamk1irY8b181N4vMXUnVYL1ah
Exoskeleton

Activity: 338
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 11:42:21 PM

Anyone old enough to remember Swatch?
How retro cool would it be to have some silicon guard in awful bright colors...

How could you not remember those nasty 80s neons. How about Hypercolor. I want a case that changes color based on the thermal profile of the device.  Wink
Kuzushi

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:14:31 AM

I'm interested as a retail buyer.  I'll be willing to pay more for a finished  product.
tempestb

Activity: 729
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:30:12 AM

I would buy many of these, so long as they are a stand alone product and I don't have to source parts and have you build it. 

1D7JwRnoungL1YQy7sJMsqmA8BHkPcKGDJ
We mine as we dream...  Alone
narf46

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 05:05:25 AM

@ $35 and 280mh/s this device would return the investment in 26 days.

That's a pretty good deal. I'll buy a few the day you release them, as long as they take <1.5 months to return.

I couldn't get my head around those people buying the 10gh/s block eruptor boards for 50btc (roughly $5,500). Those would take over 119 days to pay for themselves, and the hash rate on the network has been increasing, devaluing the reward for mined work by 15%+ in the last month. That's a lot of incurred debt for a long time.

These USB sticks are just plain cool though.
allten

Activity: 455

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 05:35:02 AM

Hey,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0hkkl4vs9nfx39/DIY_AVALON.sch.0.2.pdf

Here's the updated schematic I have so far. I started in Eagle so it is not compatible with BKKcoins, but my next project i will make it happen in KICAD.

Please take a look. All feedback may help avoid a second revision which is always nice.

Update BOM coming in the next day or so.

BKKCoins,
     Hope you find something useful here. Let me know.
allten

Activity: 455

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 05:40:00 AM

BTW, I propose we give this the name "Quarter Stick". It will run about a "quarter" of a giga hash and it will cost about a "quarter" of 100 dollars.
Noitev (OP)

The Last NXT Founder

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 07:31:46 AM

BTW, I propose we give this the name "Quarter Stick". It will run about a "quarter" of a giga hash and it will cost about a "quarter" of 100 dollars.

not too bad an idea. waiting for someone else to give feedback (no idea how the hardware works)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: