Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:19:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My girlfriends house in Germany  (Read 18776 times)
bitcoin_bob (OP)

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 03:40:27 PM

Good morning. I wake up and find events have taken an interesting course.

My crystal ball tells me there is going to be some debate that will probably (and I say this with a sigh) degrade into accusing my of being a scammer, troll, 412 emailer, government saboteur or some other interesting thing, before the days are out. Most likely due to the reserve price I had to set on the property.

I will firstly refer back to a reason I posted for having set the reserve price in the first place;

I also had concerns that the people who were shouting the most 'scam' and trying to put people off buying the property were also the people who claimed to have the most interest in the property. So there is also a worry that said persons may have tried to put off other buyers to keep the price low. How can I tell? trust no one, is supposed to be the Forum motto......

And if by magic, shortly before the auction's end the person shouting scam the most, 'miraculously' has verified everything I have said, how, I have no idea as I in the end, just started ignoring his messages. Now he has at the last moment placed a hugely undervalued bid (whilst of course, warning everyone that the house is in no way ever going to be worth more than what he is bidding)

People have pointed out that I am a NOOB at forums. Yes I am. I have never tried anything like this before. In fact I have never used any other forum except for arrse, the British Army forum. But I have never tried to auction anything. Actually I have never bought anything with a bitcoin in my life yet. I've bought some physical bitcoins, but never used them for a transaction. I look forward to returning to Berlin with some bitcoins and spending them.

And it is interesting. I am trying my best, and I am sorry if anyone does not like the way I am going about it. I am sure, given time, I will settle into the forum. I just decided to go straight in the deep end.

And as people have pointed out, most people would be scared off by the attitude given off. I am personally very disappointed that even though I have made several requests for a MOD to message me about what is going on, for a whole week that request has been ignored. But I'm not scared so easily, and I am willing to try something through to the end.

Now is my turn to point something out. 

Mr Goat has tried to pull, for all to see, a classic Gustave Le Bon crowd psychology maneuver.

See I might be a NOOB here but I have been round physical auctions all my life. There are two ways to use GleB theory on a crow, positively and negatively, both to the users advantage.

The basic principle of GleB is Submergence, Contagion, and Suggestion.

You wait until the 'crowd' get engrossed in an auction. If you are shilling, you wait until you feel the mood hit the positive peak and you also start to talk/laugh chat excitedly with partners or what seem to be other interested parties. (ever been to an auction and seen that guy laughing loudly with his partner saying wow I never knew such bargains were available, or who seems really really interested in items picking them up and calling over the room, wow I think this ones a collectors item? Thats a person working for the auction house to help the Submergence)

However if you are using it in the negative tack, you wait until the crowd can be contaminated. I've seen many an auctiongoer have a 'loud conversation' next to what seem to be interested parties in an item, mentioning as loudly as possible, defects in the item that they 'saw' or laughing and saying how aunt mayble sold one of those last week for only XXX (always lower than the reserve price of course). At vehicle auctions, look out for that 'expert' who is loudly going into fine detail with his friend about all that is broken/no good about a certain car and then buys it himself.

Suggestion is where you continue the contagion. So you loudly spoke to your partner whilst the car is parked in the viewing zone saying how bald those tires are/how many miles on the clock it has/paints a little scratched/uncle john sold his last week for half the reserve on this one. Now inside as the car is going through you drop comments like wow listen to that engine, theres something wrong with that/hmm that suspension sounds a little rough eh? Watch particularly for the guy who is now no longer talking to his friend and is instead mumbling this to either himself, or even if he is really bold, to other bidders. Notice his friend has already put in a low bid for the item.

Of course a scammer that has managed to get the price low like this, on success, tends to come out with a bunch of excuses right at the end so people don't get too suspicious. 'Oh I thought that coin was an 1897 but it turns out it is an 1898, so it was I suppose worth bidding on' or 'Well, with a bit of work I can do that car up, even though it sounded a little rough' etc. As they walk away from the auction with an item for 1/2, 1/4 or whatever of what it would sell for.

It is a very clever trick and I have watched it in action many many times. How did I get shown this? My uncle happens to be a PHD consultant Physiologist. Who also likes auctions, and loved to spend hours showing me the way people act.

See Mr Goat has made several errors in his attempt at maneuvers here.

Firstly, he forgot to bring a 'friend'. Or maybe he has but said friend is yet to reveal.

Secondly, he forgot the number one rule, don't personally attack the auctioneer, because then you might find yourself kicked out of the auction house. If you walk into an auction house shouting 'wow this is a dodgy outfit, these guys must be crooks' see how long it is before you are asked to leave. Serious fail. Walk in and gently spread rumors that the items are not to spec or there is an issue with them, thats just freedom of opinion. 

Sadly for him, and as he knows, in the first day of the auction when I was trying to persuade him we are not scammers, he insisted on it so many times that he bought my girlfriend to tears as she is the kind of person who tries to find the owner of a $20 note (seriously she once found one and put on kijiji that she would return it to anyone who knew the serial number......who does that!) and she was really sobbing and sobbing and I even PMd him this fact and he gave not a single thought to the distress he caused her.

And he now things, that she would be happy to be in communication with him to sell him a house? When I shouted 'Mr Goat bid on the house today' downstairs from the office, I can tell you that the dirty words that fell from her mouth actually turned me on a little bit.

Sufficed to say Mr Goat's bid even if it were 50000BTC would be refused now in principle.

Sadly it seems that the auction may indeed not come to pass. Who is to blame? That can be discussed ad infinitum. Everyone will have their own opinion. Mr. Goat is certainly going to loudly and try to defend his status. No one likes to be caught, as Dr. Paul Ekman's 'Wizards project' showed.

Sigh, is all I can say to the whole situation.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:24:03 PM
Last edit: May 11, 2013, 04:39:22 PM by Viceroy

Just watching from the sidelines...
* Viceroy scratches head thinking: If seller spent his life at auctions how come he did not think to set a reserve price?

the following was retracted:
* Viceroy at this same time this isn't titled "auctioning my girlfriends house" it's in the legal discussions not goods for sale... so... no crime no foul?
bitcoin_bob (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:35:03 PM

Just watching from the sidelines...
* Viceroy scratches head thinking: If seller spent his life at auctions how come he did not think to set a reserve price?
* Viceroy at this same time this isn't titled "auctioning my girlfriends house" it's in the legal discussions not goods for sale... so... no crime no foul?

Viceroy needs to read the entire post, then viceroy will see where the reserve price came from.

There is another thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=199199.20 which is the actual auction with goods for sale. This is just the place to (as welsh says) pull out the popcorn and debate.
bitcoin_bob (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:51:16 PM

Sell to the guy who bid at 44.444 before you changed your rules and all will be well. I will not get upset that you rejected my bid, even though that is questionable moral.

Had you accepted my bid I would have let you redo the auction after we all had the time to verify your claims. It was mostly why I bid.

You really are not helping yourself here.

It looks like you tried to pull a scam and I caught you. If you really want to do this right, give us two weeks to check into your claims, then do the auction over with no reserve like before.

If not, we will have to assume you are a scammer troll and never had a real intent to sell the house :/

Goat, the most sensible thing I think you have ever said is:

If you really want to do this right, give us two weeks to check into your claims

And I think it is a really good idea.

HOWEVER

I'm sorry to say it old boy but someone needs to tell you. You are a complete cock. Your attitude comes across that you somehow think you represent everyone on the forums and your opinion is law. If people do not agree with you, then they are scammers and below you.

Somehow I picture you have the personality of 'Arty Zim' From the Simpsons, all smug in your life from your PC.

No offence but if I had come across you when I was in the Army, and you had an attitude like this I would certainly have knocked you out by now. However chance are by the time you arrived at my desk you would already have been pounded into submission by various parachute regiment types. Hell, I imagine even someone in logistics would have given you a shoeing by then.

However......those days are past so back in the real world, I agree that maybe I went about this the wrong way at the wrong speed. And would be willing to (and I did say this before) submit documents for checking and have someone verify me. But your cockish attitude means I would in no way be doing it with you.

I mean who says things like  

I would have let you redo the auction

Unless you are actually the King of Thailand or something, in which case I humbly apologise for my attitude towards you your most excellent majesty, please stop acting like you are. I dont see 'MOD' or 'GOD' written anywhere on your tag, and just because at some stage you gave 50BTC to this forum to become a VIP does not mean I am going to salute your hat hanging on the flagpole.

But back to your sensible suggestion of verification.....

Candoo https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=39818 has offered to verify me. I have given him my lawyer's information. He is in a very good position to do so, because he is German and in Germany.

I am going to let the auction run until the end and see if it sells. If not- I am willing to try again one more time.

Failing that as I said, I will put it up on eBay, and willingly take bitcoins as payment.

bitcoin_bob (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 05:02:45 PM

And if by magic, shortly before the auction's end the person shouting scam the most, 'miraculously' has verified everything I have said, how, I have no idea as I in the end, just started ignoring his messages.  

This is not at all true. I said I was able to confirm the address of the house in the photos. I have no idea if you have the rights to sell the house because you did not provide the information you said you would.

Really? Funny that because I could swear you said

At this point, after having the address and looking into the guy and the house his story seems to check out.
Anyway I am now comfortable enough to finally place a bid after all that hard work.

Implying that you have looked into me, and the property and the story check out.

Are you somehow going to try and wangle out of what you said in the above post? Im back to being a scammer again because it doesn't suit your purpose anymore? But I maybe wasn't a scammer if you were going to get this house for pennies.......Do I smell a backpedal combined with sour grapes because your bid is rejected?

EDIT

Suddenly realise I am wasting a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Excuse me chaps, life calls.
Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 05:09:20 PM

Wow - just wow!

I can't believe how uncivilised people get on a forum.

I'd have thought being in the British Army would have been good training to put you above outright name calling and threats of physical violence.

I'm ready to give up on humanity.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Viceroy

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 05:16:00 PM

Dude, let me see if I understand... you are ready to give up on humanity because a soldier curses at a guy who it playing with him and his wife?

>I can't believe how uncivilised people get on a forum.

You are joking, right?
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 05:21:26 PM

I know it's not my place to get involved, but I liked bob's response, it was a dam right good response which has pretty much explained why he isn't a scammer.
He is willing to get real time lawyers involved.
He's willing to give documentation to prove he has rights to sell the house.

He's pretty much willing to provide anything to the buyer, maybe not in public but that is understandable.

However, the part about the violence wasn't really needed in that beautiful response.

Having said that, you provided really good evidence that 'mr goat' went back on his word, right after you rejected his bid.

Well played good sir!
Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 05:23:01 PM

Dude, let me see if I understand... you are ready to give up on humanity because a soldier curses at a guy who it playing with him and his wife?

You are joking, right?

No, this thread started out with a lot of promise.

Someone wanted to take a chance on selling a physical building with Bitcoin.

Rather than welcome him and help him out, we called him a scammer.

Still, OP took the high ground.

Further posting, I joined in to defend our plucky OP only to find his next post is somewhat disappointing.

So now we're reduced to calling each other names, this property sale is likely to not materialise and we've had people in floods of tears.

Sure, in the grand scheme of things this is irrelevant but personally I thought we could do better.

I'm very much a people person so yes I find this all a bit depressing.

N.B. OP has never mentioned a wife. Chang Noi isn't playing with them (testing their patience maybe).

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 05:39:34 PM

You are joking, right?

No, this thread started out with a lot of promise.

Someone wanted to take a chance on selling a physical building with Bitcoin.

Rather than welcome him and help him out, we called him a scammer.

Still, OP took the high ground.

Further posting, I joined in to defend our plucky OP only to find his next post is somewhat disappointing.

So now we're reduced to calling each other names, this property sale is likely to not materialise and we've had people in floods of tears.

Sure, in the grand scheme of things this is irrelevant but personally I thought we could do better.

I'm very much a people person so yes I find this all a bit depressing.

N.B. OP has never mentioned a wife. Chang Noi isn't playing with them (testing their patience maybe).

You do have good reason to be disappointed, the OP had responded REALLY well to all questions which he has been asked., yet the last post was still a very good response, but I do agree that maybe the name calling could of been left out.
However, the OP was called a scammer in the first couple of pages, which is pretty much name calling.
Being called scammer isn't a very nice thing in the first place, but to be called it multiple times by many different people, well that is terrible.

This could of been a really promising thread,  this would of been the first house sold via bitcoins (that I know of).
But, it's started to turn into a cyber war.
bitcoin_bob (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 08:32:38 PM

Well it started to rain, there ends Saturday afternoon.

I have to thank the people who are standing by me. As for the comment about violence, it was delivered in a semi humourous way and I was in no way supposed to be any kind of threat:

No offence but if I had come across you when I was in the Army, and you had an attitude like this I would certainly have knocked you out by now. However chance are by the time you arrived at my desk you would already have been pounded into submission by various parachute regiment types. Hell, I imagine even someone in logistics would have given you a shoeing by then.

However......those days are past so back in the real world, I agree that maybe I went about this the wrong way at the wrong speed. And would be willing to (and I did say this before) submit documents for checking and have someone verify me. But your cockish attitude means I would in no way be doing it with you.

I was simply trying to say in a word, that his attitude sucks. Sorry if that came off the wrong way. Sorry but Army humour dies hard.

Guys, I have NOT given up on this. I have some bitcoin ideas in mind and I am determined to see this through one way or the other. In Arduis Fidelis, after all.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 08:34:49 PM

I was simply trying to say in a word, that his attitude sucks. Sorry if that came off the wrong way. Sorry but Army humour dies hard.

Guys, I have NOT given up on this. I have some bitcoin ideas in mind and I am determined to see this through one way or the other. In Arduis Fidelis, after all.

I'm glad you haven't given up.. that's great news.

Plus, I knew what you were saying, and I must agree that his attitude was not great.

I just wish I had this much BTC, haha.
bitcoin_bob (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 08:46:00 PM

Wow - just wow!

I can't believe how uncivilised people get on a forum.

I'd have thought being in the British Army would have been good training to put you above outright name calling and threats of physical violence.

Good point, well presented, next time I'm in the Uk I will pop back to my old barracks, go to the SPAR, look at the for sale board and start calling people up telling them they are probably scammers. I'm sure they will be very gracious with me.

Smiley

To be fair, you are right. However being continuously harped on at in regards to scamming, escrow, lawyers, addresses and so forth after answering the questions so many times over and over again......may have pushed me beyond the realms of sweet patient little bob for a few moments. Because really, I'm harmless.
Viceroy

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 11:17:56 PM

I'd think you need a handful of legitimate bidders and then do the auction.  there just are not enough people with $20k in bitcoin.  so find some real bidders (presumably in this thread) and then give it another shot. good luck.

bitcoin_bob (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 12:23:25 AM

Goat, im just ignoring you.

I'd think you need a handful of legitimate bidders and then do the auction.  there just are not enough people with $20k in bitcoin.  so find some real bidders (presumably in this thread) and then give it another shot. good luck.

Viceroy,

This is the plan. Tell me what you think.

I have PM'd John and asked him if he will stand escrow. I have offered to send him all documentation, lawyers information etc. so he can validate the property.

If he says fine, I am thinking of actually listing it on bitmit (http://bitmit.net/en/?ref=17660) or somewhere similar. This means the auction will actually be allowed to run, as an auction, whilst discussions about the auction can continue here for anyone who wants to.

How about that?
bitcoin_bob (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 12:36:58 AM

Now you are starting to get it, this should have been done in the first place esp since you were not up for doing it during the auction.

No one will just buy a house from you just cuz you posted photos on the internet.

I was going to ignore you but hey, this gets my post count up!

Mr Goat-

Are you American by any chance?
baloo_kiev

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 01:14:41 AM

This thread is full of scam-related discussion. People argue if this auction is a scam, how could the seller and a buyer scam each other, how many lawyers and papers they need to settle the deal etc. Besides those matters, there could other interesting questions.

...I am a property developer, and have done so in many places including Germany. I am familiar with the process and laws. Hence why my Girlfriend (who is a real estate agent...

bitcoin_bob, is it really a common situation in the business, when people buy a house in less than a week after hearing of it for the first time?
I mean, no matter if one buys a house for himself, or just to sell it at a higher price, doesn't he want to see it first, to see other houses sold in the area, compare prices and so on before making the decision?
How could you expect to sell it at an adequate price, given that you're not posting on a German real estate forum, but in the international (English-speaking) section of Bitcoin forums? I know that many houses are sold on eBay in a similar way but this is not even eBay!
Did you expect that someone from another country just opens his bitcointalk and says 'Hey, great pictures, this house is exactly what I need, I am ready to buy it right now!'? Or that someone makes a trip (this week, hurry up!) to see the house?
I mean, that was your decision, and you are free to sell whatever you own in any way you want, but you must understand that it's a kind of urgent sale and in this case the price will most probably be times less than the market price.

PGP: 6EC48BA7
Welcome to my p2pool: BTC
baloo_kiev

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 01:23:29 AM

Also, I think the resulting highest bid (60 BTC) is perfectly adequate, given that the market price is about 300. Not bad for an almost blind buy!

PGP: 6EC48BA7
Welcome to my p2pool: BTC
bitcoin_bob (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 01:55:03 AM

This thread is full of scam-related discussion. People argue if this auction is a scam, how could the seller and a buyer scam each other, how many lawyers and papers they need to settle the deal etc. Besides those matters, there could other interesting questions.

...I am a property developer, and have done so in many places including Germany. I am familiar with the process and laws. Hence why my Girlfriend (who is a real estate agent...

bitcoin_bob, is it really a common situation in the business, when people buy a house in less than a week after hearing of it for the first time?

1. I bought my first house on ebay in 2004 in Maine, USA from the internet. Never saw it.
2. I have sold to date, on ebay, successfully the following properties at $1/£1 no reserve:

4 houses in Bulgaria
1 plot of land in Canada
1 house in France
2 houses in Germany
1 Timeshare in an apartment in Sunny beach Bulgaria

When I say 'Sold' I mean, all legal contracts have gone through, and the property is in the other persons name, and I have had the funds.

I currently have pending 2 house sales from Ebay and 1 from Kijiji in Canada.

It is very common for £1 no reserve, sight unseen property sales on Ebay UK, especially in Bulgaria.

I mean, no matter if one buys a house for himself, or just to sell it at a higher price, doesn't he want to see it first, to see other houses sold in the area, compare prices and so on before making the decision?

Some people simply believe that when something is cheap enough it is worth the gamble.

How could you expect to sell it at an adequate price, given that you're not posting on a German real estate forum, but in the international (English-speaking) section of Bitcoin forums? I know that many houses are sold on eBay in a similar way but this is not even eBay!

I had no expectations, we were willing to give it a try. The only thing we did not expect is to be trolled to the point of exasperation, or having to repeat the same things over, and over again.

Did you expect that someone from another country just opens his bitcointalk and says 'Hey, great pictures, this house is exactly what I need, I am ready to buy it right now!'? Or that someone makes a trip (this week, hurry up!) to see the house?
I mean, that was your decision, and you are free to sell whatever you own in any way you want, but you must understand that it's a kind of urgent sale and in this case the price will most probably be times less than the market price.

Totally agreed and was willing to simply let it go for what it went for. However my reasons for having to put a reserve on have been very, very well explained in my previous posts so I will not repeat.

Instead of looking to the past, lets go for the future. Just waiting to hear back from John.
bitsalame
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:27:59 AM
Last edit: May 12, 2013, 05:05:42 AM by bitsalame

I've read the whole thread (yes, the whole thread), and I can only conclude that Goat is not a troll nor a shill, but a very poor analyst with very poor critical thinking.
Chaang Noi (Goat) is ridden with false dichotomies, negativity bias, confirmation bias, hasty generalization born from his egocentrism, argument from incredulity, and I believe that there was also some level of False-consensus effect which resulted in his poor judgement.

Hell, I haven't seen so such a gross collection of informal fallacies and cognitive biases in one post since Lucif's thread.
I gotta give it to you, Goat, in this thread you beat Lucif and Kano together in lack of critical thinking.

Btw, Goat claims that bitcoin_bob is a scammer because he doesn't reply to him, or that if bitcoin_bob cancels the auction that automatically "proves" that bitcoin_bob is a scammer.
Regardless of bitcoin_bob being or not actually a scammer, that reasoning is so childishly flawed that my fallacy detector in my brain just exploded.

Goat, you've been pretty much unfair to OP and you fail at critical thinking.
Besides that, honestly I doubt you have purchased a home in anywhere in the world, considering that you fail to understand that a lawyer can act or set up an escrow agent. Everytime OP was mentioning about it, it went way over your head failing to understand what he was implying to.

In any case, I still fail to understand how he fails to understand that the seller has all the risks in a non-escrow transaction.
Once the buyer you sign it BEFORE the transaction of the money, it becomes the buyer's and the deed is irrevocable, THEN it is paid.
So if any buyer was careful enough to hire a competent lawyer who does his due diligence to do all the appropriate checks and reads carefully the deed FOR YOU, there are nil chances of getting scammed with a real estate transaction.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: