Bitcoin Forum
December 12, 2017, 06:03:43 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which will be the dominating scalable coin? (NEM vs. IOTA vs. Radix vs. EOS...)  (Read 12857 times)
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 1792

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 09:43:39 AM

PascalCoin V2 will be released next week along with a revised white-paper.

After PascalCoin main dev posted on IOTA slack that he doesn't believe in Quantum Theory he should ask for several peer reviews of his whitepaper before releasing. Without that everyone will question validity of his claims if any are made in the whitepaper.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2017, 03:37:52 PM

Pruning != Scalability

Sure, you can chop a hole in the bottom of the bucket to dump some water, but it can still only fill up as fast as your tap.

Pruning allows you to manage the size of the block chain over time, not how many transactions it can process per second.

Although this is correct I still think that a scalable coin should also have pruning.

If the blockchain gets to large more and more nodes cannot afford anymore to save the whole blockchain.
This not only leads to centralization but the network would finally also get very slow or even crash as millions of clients cold try to request or send data to very few remaining full nodes at the same time that cannot handle that load anymore.

Good point that although pruning is not all that needs to be considered when scaling a cryptocurrency, it is still a good feature to have as far as optimum scalability goes. Smiley

Indeed yes, pruning should be implemented where possible.  Just wanted to point out the difference as it can seem quite subtle.

Radix - DLT x.0

Web - http://radix.global  Forums - http://forum.radix.global Twitter - @radixdlt
AleSergio

Activity: 238

Machine Learning & AI - Trustless Ledger System

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 03:56:22 PM

XtraBytes is also infinitely scalable.
XtraBytes just need to go on other exchangeres such as Bittrex at least and not sit only where they are. Also they should start promoting their coin. They just need to start doing something and than we will see this coin going to the moon Cheesy

mjneat

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 06:09:19 PM

Iota i think. Its hasn't hit an exchange but the price is moving. Just wait until next year because IOTA will hit an exchange. It will be a hit. It's good to hold because the devs are active and responsive. I bought some of it when the price was 50 sats. Just watch their slack channel.

It's on finex since last week. It's how it came to my attention. I'm not sure on the game theory & security aspects. It took me a while to fully grasp bitcoin even though I have been in this space since 2011 (taking a crypto course, months of reading). I can see potential with IOTA and am looking for a good investment since I've recently fucked up greatly with my btc costing me a fortune. I still think bitcoin will be king it may just take 20 years to realise. This tangle tech does seem pretty cool.
yestur

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 09:46:53 AM

Byteball looks ok and it been tested in real life already in a way, during their 'Fair distributions' on every last 6 Fullmoons.
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1162

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2017, 02:33:36 PM

Pruning != Scalability

Sure, you can chop a hole in the bottom of the bucket to dump some water, but it can still only fill up as fast as your tap.

Pruning allows you to manage the size of the block chain over time, not how many transactions it can process per second.

actually.... pruning is directly related to scalability.  everybody is fixated on tx/s but that is just one measure.  

with many chains there is a bottleneck wrt tx/s, but lets say some public blockchain has nailed it and figured it out, then what?  

now we have 1000's of txs per second which means millions of users and a chain that is swelling much faster than any chain ever has before.

soon the chain is many gigabytes/terabytes.  soon VPNs and even home computer hard drives are just way too small.  people have a choice to shut down their node or spend money and upgrade.  In coins like Bitcoin, these people running nodes are even being rewarded! That all goes to miners.

so quickly the "decentalized" network goes from 1000's of nodes to 100's of nodes to 10's of nodes when it is just too expensive to keep a full record of every tx ever.  

this is why scalability of chain size and possible solutions like pruning or snapshotting come into play and directly are related to scalability. having 10's of nodes trying to serve millions of people with 1000's of tx/s is just asking for the network to run into problems and with that overload on those few remaining servers..... well..... now they aren't doing 1000's of tx/s anymore, if they even manage to stay running.

NEM      Faucet      Slack Invite      Easy API’s      Light Wallet      Amazing White Paper       Supernodes     Telegram Invite     Mijin 
daniweb

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 06:25:43 AM

I understand that the EOS tokens will have value only if the blockchain running eos.io decide to actually use these tokens to convert them into the "blockchain tokens". But they are not obliged to, because they can change the rules as they wish. I am missing something?

Pedagang

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 11:19:23 PM

IOTA is not even a blockchain based project

it is in it's own category

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOTA_(Distributed_Ledger_Technology)

Get 10% off on Bitfinex commission H14FVKtWez
Hansen

Activity: 98

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2017, 11:31:23 PM

Radix - scalable (pruning included), stable, it has apps, a chat and mailing system, a debit card running on its own network and a dev and team who didnt need an ICO to raise funds yet - because they truly believe in the idea behind it.

---nothing for a long time. A very long, long time ---

EOS
NEM
IOTA

You want less fees? - You want a stable currency? - You want a fair distribution of raised funds? - You want anonymous transactions and communication? - You want so much more that doesn't fit in this line and will look crappy when writing it down because it will just be so much? - JOIN RADIX!
Co- Founder of Radix http://www.radix.global
Pedagang

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 01:43:10 AM

Radix - scalable (pruning included), stable, it has apps, a chat and mailing system, a debit card running on its own network and a dev and team who didnt need an ICO to raise funds yet - because they truly believe in the idea behind it.

EOS
NEM
IOTA

but no users,no VCs just tech

yea good luck

Get 10% off on Bitfinex commission H14FVKtWez
Peachy

Activity: 170

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2017, 05:46:24 PM

EOS
NEM
IOTA

but no users,no VCs just tech

yea good luck

No luck needed.  It's now out in the wild with real customers.

Status update:
First "live" product released utilizing the Radix protocol.
Not a beta, not a POC, not a trial version:  But a real working solution with a real company
https://twitter.com/radixdlt/status/900357606220251136

I'll give you a hint:
It's with one of these companies
https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/22/yc-demo-day-s17-day-2/

RADiX (formerly eMunie): The future of money
bstewart

Activity: 126

Whitelist for WePower token sale before 1st of Feb

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 11:06:24 PM

Iota i think. Its hasn't hit an exchange but the price is moving. Just wait until next year because IOTA will hit an exchange. It will be a hit. It's good to hold because the devs are active and responsive. I bought some of it when the price was 50 sats. Just watch their slack channel.

Wew, 50 sat.

You got a fucking steal, man.

dextrian

Activity: 1

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 06:08:01 AM

my personal thoughts are that :
1: Every coin generation add something new that solve a fundamental problem from the tech
2: Every Generation has a Gold, a Silver and a Bronze ... Gold will stay, Silver will survive, but mostly due to Gold, Bronze will die.

Now what i see since 2013:
Gen 1 was Bitcoin blockchain idea, when people discovery it , they get amazed... miners love it, and anyone could transfer "value" much easier that with fiat...  i did that in a travel to US , at the time, to send money over fiat you need like 9 steps, and 12 percent money loss due to tax, exchange, etc.... Anyway, at the time we got Litecoin, Peercoin, NameCoin, Dogecoin, DarkCoin, PrimeCoin,etc. Litecoin was implemented to alow a new and more "fair" generation of miners , also to be cheap and faster them bitcoin, peercoin to avoid the POW, and introduce a great ideia POS , the rest are clones with its own merits ... at the end of that era, Emunie was there, with the idea of self balanced fiat crypto , funded by a reserve that self balance the system... Ripple was there at the time, but its a different beast

Gen 2 starts with the ideia that BlockChain are useless on it's on, and a wast of energy ... Its safe and flexible, but need something implemented over it ... Also, stay attached to BitCoin Blockchain was a bad idea due to speed, etc.... So the Gen 2 idea was "make something usefull" , one of the first was MasterCoin ... Anyway, Gen 2 we have eTHEREUM , DASH, Monero, NEM .... and so on... in Gen 2 , Ethereum implemented a lot of stuff, and gain GOLD in this gen, now we are mostly waiting for Silver and Bronze. None so far has that seat taken, Dash and Monero are doing well as money, but are far away from been popular and having something as "localbitcoin" like implementations in Brazil, Velezuela, Gabon, Greece, Tailand, etc. Nem is a late Gen 2, almost Gen 3 coin, for me its Gona be Silver for Ethereum, but only time can tell

Gen 3 are now in experimental phase, they are a response to Ethereum Bancor incident , with means ... scale. The aim for Gen 3 is "Be a protocol, free, fast, and sincronization independent" , we need crypto for aplications , so, if gen 1 was C, and Fortran ... Gen 2 was C++ and HTML ... Gen 3 is Java, Javascript, MQTT... Mostly rethink the rules of miners, holders, fee, time, linear information, etc.
In gen 3 so far, i can see some light shining in EOS and IOTA...
IOTA simple implements the idea of TANGLE, that is a reinterpretation of blockchain, its based in what you need, not in implementing what you have... its forces everyone to increase security in the system, every node is a miner with no rewards, and need to be in order to be on the game... it need scale to work, a lot of scale, we are not talking about payment system visa level... we are talking about IP requests per hour lvl ... so they are aiming for IOT devices, using iota tech as a protocol of communication, ID and security to this devices... and when they got scale, go for implement IOTA value to it, microtransactions mostly
EOS goes the other way around... its idea is "if i have a network of miners, them how to best use them?" So, first , forget about blockchain... and go direct to a mainframe mentality... lots of parallel processing, using and much as you can get from the system. take out the Fee, and implement a reward for production, the 10 bigger and faster gain, the rest is out of the game... and EOS tokens are like you are buying a share of this cloud giant machine ... you have EOS tokens, and can run any program you like using the equivalent EOS Tokens power of processing .

For Gen 3, my bet is on IOTA for now... its increasing usability kinda quick , and the tangle is all anarcho capitalism / libertarian dream , free from miners, having more or less make no difference (unlike POS), also by the tech point of view,  can be implemented offline only in your system if you like, and the team is aiming for IOT devices, they already are implementing with volvo and VW some experimental ideas , also working well to implement ID verification... Money talk? well its only on bitifinex , that mean no ASIA on the game yet.
Eos i really hate the "voting for the best miner" stuff " ¬¬ , its just stupid... it just consider that if someone ever buy EOS, it knows what he is doing, how the ecosystem works... not everyone is a tech genius, much less Cryptos ... hell, most people does not even know what bitcoin is. Anyway, aside from that, it is great to have a AZURE system that is fully made in cryptotech . 
GEN 3 bet is also very risk... its experimental stuff, it could explode on your face Cheesy , but risk and reward is a pair. 1 dolar bet , could mean 0 or 100 dolar in 2 to 3 years

For Radix, aka New Emunie ... i would wait and see it working , and been used. Fuserleer seen to be a smart guy. But Crypto as FIAT is old news, you can have a BITPAY visa card now if you like, monetize your website with SatoshiPay, Or if you really wanna stay away from bitcoin go for ethereum that is everywere or even Monero or Dash that already are in more them 20 countries anyway and the only reason to exist is be money. Its still usefull , but not relevant ... if it were here 2 years ago... now its late... but lets see... i could be wrong, and it find its place. just dont think it will anymore.
s90x

Activity: 7

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 03:22:01 PM

I have bet 80% on iota Grin
Peachy

Activity: 170

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2017, 11:32:59 AM

Status update:  Whitepaper released

https://www.radix.global/

RADiX (formerly eMunie): The future of money
kandholabhavna

Activity: 154

INS Ecosystem

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 11:54:02 AM

I think out of the most IOTA is the best candidate and EOS is somewhat I am not looking forward to too much.

icryptonator

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 11:01:08 PM

If the number of transactions per second is the dominant factor - in your openion - then:

Bitcoin: is capable of 7 transactions per second.
Litecoin: 28 transactions per second.
IOTA : 112 transactions per second.  (It is not the best right now.)
PascalCoin: 100 transactions per second.

Digibyte: 560 transactions per second.
XMR : 1,700 transactions per second

NEM :  10,000 transactions per second
Dash : 10,000 transactions per second

I have not checked other coins data, but seemingly the highest capability now is Nem and Dash. It could be that this will change in future.

Source of information: Coincheckup.com
As per their analysis Nem is a stronger coin than dash, in respect of Team and Advisors.
My vote is for Nem.

celobr32

Activity: 71

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 01:14:47 AM

An important aspect for a cryptocurrency to be become big is scalability.
Ethereum recently pumped due to Bitcoins lack of scalability, but the bancor ICO showed that Ethereum also scales poorly.

So the next big thing will probably be a currency that scales well. But which one will be the leading one?

NEM (with catapult), IOTA, Radix and EOS probably will be able to handle thousands of transactions per second.
In my opinion this is worth nothing if there is no pruning to remove old data. However, it is difficult to find information about which of these coins are able to efficiently prune old data.

So an important question this thread could answer is which of them actually scale well enough for mass adoption (by for instance having efficient pruning).

Furthermore, all these coins have different capabilities. EOS is a full Ethereum competitor, NEM can run simple smart contracts and Radix has several applications running on top of it (I did not get into it). Not sure about IOTA. Which of them has in your opinion the best capabilities and how important will this be to become the dominating currency (in market cap)?

... and of course there is still bitcoin. Do you think the lightning network will solve bitcoins scalability problem?
I see the problem that the technology is complicated (you need to keep a payment channel open all the time) might be too late (we need a solution now and not in a year) and in the end all lightning transactions must still be settled on the blockchain which still requires huge blocks for mass adoption. 

Hello!

IOTA have great future this tecnology is the best!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.