Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 07:24:55 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core 0.14.2 Released  (Read 37983 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 10:10:06 AM

well not sure what happened the past 12 hours (after segwit went active) but my bitcoin core 14.1 is getting that same message we got earlier when people were using BIP 91 to signal for segwit support.. did something go wrong?  "Warning: unknown block versions being mined! It's possible unknown rules are in effect"

Icon

** update **

i closed and reloaded the qt and now atm the message is gone... hummmm

The message will come back when your client sees more blocks. The problem is stupid pool operators using custom block generation and leaving in the segwit activation bit in their block versions. The proper bitcoin client has stopped using that bit now that segwit has activated, and so that bit has no known meaning any more. Thus the bitcoin core client is correctly saying it's not recognising what that bit is for... and the pools that are advertising don't  even know why they're advertising it any more.

is segwit really activated now? i see the average fee still very high, are they already saturated the extra room of segwit?
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1637

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2017, 10:35:04 AM

is segwit really activated now? i see the average fee still very high, are they already saturated the extra room of segwit?
Yes segwit is activated. No, no one is using it yet. That's why it looks like nothing has happened. Only a very small number of actual segwit transactions have been mined to date. Very very few clients currently support it, most exchanges haven't switched to it, most light wallets are only just starting to use segwit addresses and the hardware wallets are only now proudly announcing segwit support.

So yes it won't have any effect on fees till all of that passes and there are a lot more segwit transactions in the network instead of regular transactions.

Segwit was a technology improvement and security fix. It increasing block capacity was a secondary effect dependent on people using it and not primarily the reason it was developed.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Imam_Dj

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 12:00:35 AM

I installed but failed as above
http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/NsOTlM
http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/NsOTlM
Please check and help me! i used Win10 64
Thanks
may be this aplication is not compatible wit win 10
immortal7000

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 09:00:59 AM

Tell me please, this application is compatible with Windows 7, where can I download it, and what are the minimum system requirements for this application?

BlackLiSS

Activity: 36

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 05:34:01 PM

After this update, I lost wallet.dat.
It's good that I had a backup wallet.dat, and I was able to restore my wallet. Use this update neatly.
sanjeev.lamani@

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 01:33:36 AM

I'm just wondering after this new release nothing will happen to current data structure. Anyone can pls clarify
Moddak2

Activity: 138

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 01:49:18 PM

I use bitcoin core usually to store small amounts of bitcoins.More amounts keeping in other sites and exchanges.
CloudCoinR

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 09:25:52 PM

Anti-virus: Several people have placed parts of known computer viruses in the Bitcoin block chain. This block chain data can’t infect your computer, but some anti-virus programs quarantine the data anyway, making it more difficult to run Bitcoin Core. This problem mostly affects computers running Windows.
sauce: https://bitcoin.org/en/bitcoin-core/features/requirements  Huh

i searched for more information on this topic but found nothing.
is somebody able to explain why and how exactly this happened?

achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6704

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2017, 10:58:51 PM

Anti-virus: Several people have placed parts of known computer viruses in the Bitcoin block chain. This block chain data can’t infect your computer, but some anti-virus programs quarantine the data anyway, making it more difficult to run Bitcoin Core. This problem mostly affects computers running Windows.
sauce: https://bitcoin.org/en/bitcoin-core/features/requirements  Huh

i searched for more information on this topic but found nothing.
is somebody able to explain why and how exactly this happened?
Anyone can put anything in the blockchain, it just has to be part of a transaction. So some people made multiple transactions which contain parts of viruses that match virus signatures. These transactions were then included in blocks by miners and thus became a part of the blockchain. When virus scanners scan through the blockchain's data, they will stumble upon these transactions containing the virus signature. But the scanner does not know what a transaction is, nor does it care. It just sees binary data (which is what transactions are), and the binary data matches a virus signature, so it flags the whole file it scanned and quarantines it. Quarantining a file means that it will be removed from where it is and put elsewhere. This will break Bitcoin Core. The solution is to just not have your antivirus scan the blockchain. The blockchain is not executable anyways, so it is not like a virus that was put in the blockchain could be run by any software, unless that software happened to be malware as well.

Somz1

Activity: 420
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 04:00:35 AM

Anyone know if they are promoting use of segwit enabled transactions?
CloudCoinR

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:10:38 PM

Anyone can put anything in the blockchain, it just has to be part of a transaction. So some people made multiple transactions which contain parts of viruses that match virus signatures. These transactions were then included in blocks by miners and thus became a part of the blockchain. When virus scanners scan through the blockchain's data, they will stumble upon these transactions containing the virus signature. But the scanner does not know what a transaction is, nor does it care. It just sees binary data (which is what transactions are), and the binary data matches a virus signature, so it flags the whole file it scanned and quarantines it. Quarantining a file means that it will be removed from where it is and put elsewhere. This will break Bitcoin Core. The solution is to just not have your antivirus scan the blockchain. The blockchain is not executable anyways, so it is not like a virus that was put in the blockchain could be run by any software, unless that software happened to be malware as well.

thank you for your answere achow.

isn't that a way the feds could de-legalize bitcoin?

http://www.righto.com/2014/02/ascii-bernanke-wikileaks-photographs.html
https://github.com/petertodd/python-bitcoinlib/blob/master/examples/publish-text.py
https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/39347/how-to-store-data-on-the-blockchain
Moddak2

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:30:35 PM

Today I open bitcoin core and forgot passphrase,i think soon time I remember her.
moltipxs

Activity: 22

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 06:05:16 PM

Hi, one question, which are the minimum system requirements? can we use it in windows 7?
Co1n

Activity: 364
Merit: 440

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 07:56:18 AM

Thanks i will wait for major update caz its taking hell lot of time to update , 7 days for update dam
BTW, if I have already installed and synced core 0.13.2 what steps I need to do for update core to 0.14.2?
Just run core.exe and start the wizard or I need uninstall 0.13.2 before? As I undestand the previous db remains the same and don't need to sync it again from the scratch, right?
I have the same question - what is the right way to upgrade from 0.13.2 to 0.14.2? Need I uninstall previous Core version or may just run new one? All chain data stay the same or will be downloaded again from the scratch (145gb)? When it will be mandatory to upgrade to new version, I suppose after November hardfork?
Another question - do 0.14.2 have seed phrase (BIP44)?
deeltje

Activity: 486
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:38:23 PM

I am sorry, newb question: where do I find the release notes for Bitcoin Core 0.15?
eb9109

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 09:22:25 PM

Hello,

Upgraded my bitcoin wallet to QT 0.14.2 after the bcc split, but now as it syncs the blockchain it has stuck on Aug 1st 14:16.14 2017 block and has been receiving server messages for about a week now. I can see from the log that it`s doing work but am worried that it may not sync....its been a week now and the `to sync` blocks have risen by a week in the week I have been updating it from `4 weeks` to now `5 weeks behind` sync...

Should I redownload the blockchain afresh or import my keys to blockchain.info wallet?

At the same time I downloaded the bitcoin classic wallet, thinking it would be to use for my Bitcoin Cash side of the current split into two currencies, but upon opening the wallet I saw my bitcoin transactions were in my bitcoin cash wallet as if it was sharing its wallet.dat...and similar to my bitcoin qt wallet the snyc process had seemingly halted at the moment of the fork ie the Aug 1st 14:16.14 2017 block....although it does cross my mind that the bcc in the bcc wallet may be a successful `split`,yet.

Is it that my wallets Qt and Classic just need a really long time to calculate the blocksplit and should be fine in some days do you think or can advise?

Thanks
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 02:06:45 AM

At the same time I downloaded the bitcoin classic wallet, thinking it would be to use for my Bitcoin Cash side of the current split into two currencies, but upon opening the wallet I saw my bitcoin transactions were in my bitcoin cash wallet as if it was sharing its wallet.dat...and similar to my bitcoin qt wallet the snyc process had seemingly halted at the moment of the fork ie the Aug 1st 14:16.14 2017 block....although it does cross my mind that the bcc in the bcc wallet may be a successful `split`,yet.
Running Bitcoin Cash with the same data directory as an existing Bitcoin Core installation (which it stupidly does by default) will corrupt your Bitcoin Core chainstate and prevent it from syncing. Run "bitcoin-qt -reindex-chainstate" to fix it (this will take several hours, so be patient). If you wish to run both Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin Core, you must use a separate data directory for each.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
sachinunchwal02

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 08:41:28 AM

The release statement said one known bug concerns the smart transaction fee slider — the approximate fee Bitcoin-Qt displays when using coin control and smart fee estimation “does not reflect any change in target from the smart fee slider” and presents only an approximate fee.
Phillionex Project

Activity: 34

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 12:00:25 PM

It does not seem like there will be another network fork..what do you guys think
Moddak2

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 02:29:02 PM

Bitcoin core v 0.14.2 seeing more beauty then other older versions.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: