Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:20:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Visit to BFL  (Read 5289 times)
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:58:50 AM

I'm just going to leave this here in case others missed it:

Please bear in mind that this report of my visit to Butterfly Labs is intended only to provide you with the information I gleaned from my visit there and not to be provacative in any way or to influence any decisions that you might make for yourselves regarding BFL.

I visited Butterfly Labs today at around 11:30 am.  Entering the building I went through the main door to  the BFL door to find it being unlocked by a very nice very tall lady who asked me if I had an appointment.

I told her that I did not but was probably expected.  She asked me my name and I replied "MY BFL FORUM NAME".  I was immediately ushered inside the fortress that is BFL and asked to wait in the lobby, which is really only a couple of chairs at the end of the hallway leading to the "back room" itself.

After waiting only a few moments a fellow came from the back who introduced himself as Dave.

I introduced myself by both my forum user name and my real name.

Dave told me that he had a few minutes but that soon everyone had to be in a meeting.

I told him that I had come for any updates and any any news that he would liked passed along.

He told me that Josh had posted an update on the BFL forum and that was the only news there was.

Hoping to get a little more info, I told him I hadn't read it, which of course I had but got nothing additional.

I asked him if he had any specific shipping date, to which he replied that Jalapenos were being shipped now.  When asked about shipping of other devices, he would not give me any sort of idea at all, telling me that they will ship when they ship.

He then said that BFL was more open than anyone because Avalon will not even reply to emails or phone calls.

Pressing him a bit further, I told him that the natives were restless and many preparing to jump ship.

I found his reply a bit startling and more than disconcerting.

Dave was very firm in his statement that "We can't worry about that.  We just have to keep doing what we are doing and move forward."

I then asked yet again if he could give me any idea of expected shipping times on other products, to which I received the same admonition: "We will ship when we ship!"

I asked him if Minirigs were going to be put back into production.  He told me that there was an update on Minirigs and that they would be put back into production when the redesign was completed.

I again asked Dave if he would provide me any shipping information of any kind to which he replied, "What if I give you a shipping date anad we can't meet it?  Then we have more problems."

By this time it had become clear to me that I was going to obtain no specific information of any kind so I thanked him for meeting with me but before leaving I turned and asked him if he had anything he wanted to add for me to tell the folks.

He said "No, the updates say it all."

I left the building and took a couple of pics of the front door while leaning on the top of my car.

One interesting thing Dave did during our conversation was to play with one of those stainless steel folding knives, which many people would have considered to be a threatening gesture but I recognized the action as a nervous tic and in no way felt threatened.  I doubt he realized he was doing it.

So........................................................

What did I learn?

Well, a couple of things.  Shipping of anything but Jalapenos isn't going to happen any time soon and that the shipping time of other products is not known and that BFL will not even speculate on it.

In reflection on the meeting it occurs to me that Dave's replies to me although friendly sort of were monotonic and almost stilted and that his face was very nearly rigid and frozen as though he really wasn't moving a muscle.  During our meeting he stood stock still; his only real movement was playing with his little knife.

Now...........................................

Here is the part in which I editorialize:

I was dismayed at what I perceived to be "customer care".  It was as though the unspoken statement was "We've got your money, suck it up and wait for shipping and we'll ship when we ship!"

In short, I was pretty effectively stonewalled and I think BFL missed a wonderful opportunity to significantly improve its realtionship with current and potential customers.  A good report from me could have helped them a lot but I don't think this report is going to help them at all.

I have endeavored to be as "fair and balanced" in this report as I can be.

I cannot and will not tell any of you what to do in connection with your relationship with BFL but I will tell you that my two associates with whom I am partnered are giving very serious consideration to the status of their orders.

I was left with the distinct impression that there will be no shipping dates given because there is nothing to ship and BFL itself has no real idea when there will be.

As for myself, on the basis of today's interview, I will not be ordering from BFL.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:04:03 AM

great review - thanks for it.
juiced

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 11:29:50 AM

Thanks to this "visitor" I will receive my Single a couple of minutes later.
He should have made an appointment, what do you expect when you just show up at a company and think they will give you all the time they need to work on the products.
Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 11:37:56 AM

He should have made an appointment, what do you expect when you just show up at a company and think they will give you all the time they need to work on the products.

Yes they are quite busy. Driving around with fork lifters and moving empty boxes with fans. Scrapping old Jalapeno, Single SC and Mini Rig casings. Looking busy on company videos: Butterfly Labs Company Video

I seriously feel like my pre-order money is in good hands. Not.

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
tigerfree
Legendary

Activity: 1015

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 11:45:57 AM

I will not be ordering from BFL.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:04:39 PM

I am as annoyed with BFL as anyone, but to give them the benefit of the doubt...

- We don't know how many times they're visited by irate customers wondering where their order is.  Maybe BFL is well and truly sick of it (a situation they created...)

- Not giving any shipping dates at all is understandable.  BFL has failed to fulfill every shipping date they have posted in regards to ASICs, so I'm not surprised they refuse to give any more out.

- Turning up unannounced and expecting someone to drop everything and have a meeting is likely to get a frosty reception.  I'm not sure what "I told her that I did not (have an appointment) but was probably expected" is meant to mean.  A person is expected for a meeting or not.
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:16:49 PM

And they should not have given any shipping dates until they had a product. BFL is a huge failure.

Can't wait to see them implode as less people preorder and their cash flow dries up.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:51:19 PM

i was expecting a warm welcome from them since they fail on almost anything so far .. at least on a visit they could lie u nicely ...
rograz

Activity: 575

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:08:06 PM

I'm surprised they didn't just outright tell you to leave immediately, it's what I would have done to someone showing up unannounced.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:31:05 PM

Well they have said on more than one occasion to people regarding the shipping charges to 'drop by the office' openly in forum posts, and that people are welcome to pick-up. They know their customers are increasingly anxious from miscommunication - entirely of their own fault. Additionally, negative post from someone whose actually got of their arse and visited holds more weight than trolling a forum. They'd be stupid not to swallow it and be hospitable. It would do them no favours otherwise.

Probably best you don't work for them Rograz.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:37:41 PM

I'm surprised they didn't just outright tell you to leave immediately, it's what I would have done to someone showing up unannounced.

maybe you don't know anything about customer satisfaction, communication and public relations. If you are selling this kind of product over web, still postponing deliveries and hold thousands of $ almost year and somebody visits you, you must be able to answer any questions and make your best to satisfy the visitor. Especially, when you will know, that visitor will share the info with other hungry customers through forums, boards and other communication channels on web.

what you say maybe works within some local business but definitely not on web base selling with six months delay..

Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:18:19 PM

Pop Pop Pop....

So much for customer service. Pretty dangerous policy. Insane really.

Security is what they need. Never know who or what would walk through that door given all the heated exchanges that have been had here about BFL. Seriously don't they worry about their own safety... and the safety of the product?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:48:47 PM

Wrong. Completely and utterly wrong.

BFL has nothing to physically ship at the present time. They are waiting on a new batch of chips.

We'll be lucky if they resume shipping late next week.
rograz

Activity: 575

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:33:42 PM

maybe you don't know anything about customer satisfaction, communication and public relations. If you are selling this kind of product over web, still postponing deliveries and hold thousands of $ almost year and somebody visits you, you must be able to answer any questions and make your best to satisfy the visitor. Especially, when you will know, that visitor will share the info with other hungry customers through forums, boards and other communication channels on web.

what you say maybe works within some local business but definitely not on web base selling with six months delay..

If I just walked into one of the main offices for the big e-retailers in sweden they would most likely call the cops if I didn't leave immediately. If you have thousands of customers and a few % of them just decides to drop in to check on things on a weekly basis it becomes really messy fast. A few people every now and then probably isn't a problem for anyone but when it becomes common practice it's a different beast entirely.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:41:10 PM

If I just walked into one of the main offices for the big e-retailers in sweden they would most likely call the cops if I didn't leave immediately. If you have thousands of customers and a few % of them just decides to drop in to check on things on a weekly basis it becomes really messy fast. A few people every now and then probably isn't a problem for anyone but when it becomes common practice it's a different beast entirely.

CSR stands for Customer Service Representative. Large companies have them. That is who is called when customers show up unexpectedly.
Smaller companies either have sales or marketing, or if really small upper management would handle it.
When a customer shows up with out an appointment it is either a cause for celebration or trouble.
You don't call the cops (unless you have something to hide).
You find out why the person came all that way (writing an article, research for lawsuit, going postal, etc).

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
BBQKorv

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 08:28:53 PM

"I was left with the distinct impression that there will be no shipping dates given because there is nothing to ship and BFL itself has no real idea when there will be.
As for myself, on the basis of today's interview, I will not be ordering from BFL."

I have had that very same feeling for a while now.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 08:39:03 PM

Pop Pop Pop....

So much for customer service. Pretty dangerous policy. Insane really.

Security is what they need. Never know who or what would walk through that door given all the heated exchanges that have been had here about BFL. Seriously don't they worry about their own safety... and the safety of the product?

That is what the switch blade is for!
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 08:43:22 PM

Then what is the purpose of the office?

Close it down and run it from your bedroom if you are that afraid.
Red_Evil

Activity: 1484

Across The Universe

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 08:51:31 PM

Soo let us get a bet for the next Update ....
TOmorrow the CHips arrived ? 5000 Pieces ...

then the test without mistakes ....

But the new CHips for Customer comes JUNE

I bet 1 BTC
minternj

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 08:57:57 PM

Then what is the purpose of the office?

Administration. Like the other guy said, i also work for a large corp. Our admin offices aren't open to the public although we sell to the consumer via retail. Think proctor and gamble, are you going to the corporate office to ask about the toothpaste or whatever they sell? This isn't a new concept.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: