Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:31:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][ONC] Onecoin - CPU only - Pools opened!  (Read 74862 times)
thesnoo23

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:49:50 PM

Ok, you detractors, I might be incorrect here, but I don't think this is meant to be a serious coin. It's meant to make fun of all the supporters of new altcoins with smaller and smaller caps that are 'designed' to help 'increase the coins value'. It's drawing attention to the fact that all you're really doing with ultimate caps is moving the decimal place around.

Of course, I could be wrong, and this could be serious, in which case I would have to say it's fairly retarded. Tongue
I'm one of the supporters of coins with smaller and smaller caps because coins with larger and larger caps just end up being pump and dump coins.

Prove otherwise. Make a coin worth more than Bitcoin or Litecoin with a higher cap.

That said Onecoin takes it too far to the extreme. I support SLIGHTLY less than Bitcoin. 10 million coins is half of Bitcoin. 5 million is half of 10. But 1 coin is too much less. That's like if I make a coin called cloud coin and I say the cap is 500 trillion. This would be fine right?

Sigh. Again, I see people talking about how much individual coins are worth.  Roll Eyes

the success of a coin is not how much the individual coin is worth, but in how stable, accepted, and useful it is. So far, yes, bitcoin is winning. But it had a huge head start on most of the others, and litecoin is giving it a good run in terms of stability and acceptance.

Bitcoin already is acceptable and useful. We need coins to store our wealth also. Where do we put our money when Bitcoin crashes? Cash out into USD? Hell no. We need store of value coins for the same reason we need gold bars so the concept behind Bitbar or Bitgold or whatever is sound.

You're looking for a currency, nothing stops you from just buying Bitcoins and trading them since they are clearly the most useful coins. But when those coins crash due to volatility then tell me the worth of each coin doesn't matter. When people buy Bitcoins and they find out their $260 purchase is now worth $50 you tell me it doesn't actually matter how much each coin is worth. It does matter when people start putting life savings into it. And yes we need coins for people to put their live savings into and clearly it's not Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is being set up to be the default store of value coin. It's valuable, but while it IS currently used for most real world buy something transactions, it's not very good at it, due to block times and long waits for confimation. It's got a good setup as a savings account, but not so much as a checking account.

And we are on the same side here. What I'm promoting is virtual commodity coins which take on the role of default store of value so Bitcoins can evolve into a currency. Bitcoins will never evolve into a currency when there are no coins worth more than Bitcoins to put our savings into.

When I want to put my savings somewhere right now Bitcoin is a better place than the banks, maybe even could be better than gold someday, but that is not what Bitcoin was designed for and that is not going to be good for the long term viability of Bitcoin. Bitcoin has to transition into becoming a currency and the way to speed this up is to create virtual commodities so people can take their Bitcoins and buy these commodities and let these commodities go way up in $ value so that if Bitcoin goes down then through diversification our life savings, retirement, etc are safe. The idea of buying gold bars is silly, but the idea of buying virtual gold bars makes a lot of sense if you buy them with Bitcoins and who knows maybe something like Bitplatinum could come along and we can buy that when the price of Bitcoins is sinking and protect our selves knowing the value of Bitplatinum will never really lose it's $ value.

The niche exists, fill it and Bitcoin and Litecoin can become currencies. This would mean the price of Bitcoin and Litecoin would have to be around $60-70 not $100+. Eventually the Bitcoin price would even go down as people buy the virtual commodities for their long term investment purchases.

Sigh. Why does bitcoin have to be the currency? Why does ANY specific coin have to be the currency? Let things evolve to what they're best suited for, not for what YOU think that they would be best suited for. Use what's available instead of trying to force something to work in a way that might be better served by something else.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
R_Lem

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:52:47 PM

You got this from the trollbox. We were joking about this a a day or so ago, except there was 1 block with the whole coin in it and the person that possessed it would be followed around be a deformed hobbit. Fun for a joke coin but the ability for it to be broken into tiny decimal bits ruins it for me.  Tongue
ymer

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:55:13 PM

We need this info before you keep going, I'll spam this until you respond:

What's Starting Difficulty?
What's the Block reward?
Are you gonna have binaries ready before launch?
kibu

Activity: 55

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:00:05 PM

We need this info before you keep going, I'll spam this until you respond:

What's Starting Difficulty?
What's the Block reward?
Are you gonna have binaries ready before launch?

And I suggest announcing a launch date & time at least 24 hours ahead of time.
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:01:09 PM

Okay what about mining? is it going to have a 3 day rule where the difficulty is low and then on the third day a spike or is it going to be fair to mine over a period of weeks?
Right now I'm doing some calculations. The reward will gradually grow up during first 25000 blocks (I believe this will be enough for difficulty to settle), and after that default rules will apply.

Here is a tweak on your idea to make the coin valuable it has to be psychologically scarce. You have the one coin but are the coin shares going to be scarce? Unless mining it becomes progressively more difficult or the rate of share generation slows down significantly how do you hope to accomplish this?

In summary lets say I mine 0.0000005, how do you make sure that amount is considered "scarce"?  You have to consider how much in BTC the 1 coin could be worth in total and then we'd know how much the individual shares could be worth.

Anyway it's not a bad idea. I view it as a community coin.
Luckybit

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:04:29 PM

Ok, you detractors, I might be incorrect here, but I don't think this is meant to be a serious coin. It's meant to make fun of all the supporters of new altcoins with smaller and smaller caps that are 'designed' to help 'increase the coins value'. It's drawing attention to the fact that all you're really doing with ultimate caps is moving the decimal place around.

Of course, I could be wrong, and this could be serious, in which case I would have to say it's fairly retarded. Tongue
I'm one of the supporters of coins with smaller and smaller caps because coins with larger and larger caps just end up being pump and dump coins.

Prove otherwise. Make a coin worth more than Bitcoin or Litecoin with a higher cap.

That said Onecoin takes it too far to the extreme. I support SLIGHTLY less than Bitcoin. 10 million coins is half of Bitcoin. 5 million is half of 10. But 1 coin is too much less. That's like if I make a coin called cloud coin and I say the cap is 500 trillion. This would be fine right?

Sigh. Again, I see people talking about how much individual coins are worth.  Roll Eyes

the success of a coin is not how much the individual coin is worth, but in how stable, accepted, and useful it is. So far, yes, bitcoin is winning. But it had a huge head start on most of the others, and litecoin is giving it a good run in terms of stability and acceptance.

Bitcoin already is acceptable and useful. We need coins to store our wealth also. Where do we put our money when Bitcoin crashes? Cash out into USD? Hell no. We need store of value coins for the same reason we need gold bars so the concept behind Bitbar or Bitgold or whatever is sound.

You're looking for a currency, nothing stops you from just buying Bitcoins and trading them since they are clearly the most useful coins. But when those coins crash due to volatility then tell me the worth of each coin doesn't matter. When people buy Bitcoins and they find out their $260 purchase is now worth $50 you tell me it doesn't actually matter how much each coin is worth. It does matter when people start putting life savings into it. And yes we need coins for people to put their live savings into and clearly it's not Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is being set up to be the default store of value coin. It's valuable, but while it IS currently used for most real world buy something transactions, it's not very good at it, due to block times and long waits for confimation. It's got a good setup as a savings account, but not so much as a checking account.

And we are on the same side here. What I'm promoting is virtual commodity coins which take on the role of default store of value so Bitcoins can evolve into a currency. Bitcoins will never evolve into a currency when there are no coins worth more than Bitcoins to put our savings into.

When I want to put my savings somewhere right now Bitcoin is a better place than the banks, maybe even could be better than gold someday, but that is not what Bitcoin was designed for and that is not going to be good for the long term viability of Bitcoin. Bitcoin has to transition into becoming a currency and the way to speed this up is to create virtual commodities so people can take their Bitcoins and buy these commodities and let these commodities go way up in $ value so that if Bitcoin goes down then through diversification our life savings, retirement, etc are safe. The idea of buying gold bars is silly, but the idea of buying virtual gold bars makes a lot of sense if you buy them with Bitcoins and who knows maybe something like Bitplatinum could come along and we can buy that when the price of Bitcoins is sinking and protect our selves knowing the value of Bitplatinum will never really lose it's $ value.

The niche exists, fill it and Bitcoin and Litecoin can become currencies. This would mean the price of Bitcoin and Litecoin would have to be around $60-70 not $100+. Eventually the Bitcoin price would even go down as people buy the virtual commodities for their long term investment purchases.

Sigh. Why does bitcoin have to be the currency? Why does ANY specific coin have to be the currency? Let things evolve to what they're best suited for, not for what YOU think that they would be best suited for. Use what's available instead of trying to force something to work in a way that might be better served by something else.

Because the success of all cryptocurrencies depends on the success of Bitcoin. It's not the ideal situation but as of right now there is only really Bitcoin which is going mainstream. Maybe when Litecoin, Namecoin, PPcoin or some others share the spotlight we can stop worrying about making Bitcoin into a currency but right now if Bitcoin does not become a currency then the whole experiment will fail.
cre8r (OP)

Activity: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:05:31 PM

ymer, kibu, did you both ever read the OP post?
About binaries: yes, windows binaries will be available as soon as I make the genesis block.
thesnoo23

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:10:42 PM

Because the success of all cryptocurrencies depends on the success of Bitcoin. It's not the ideal situation but as of right now there is only really Bitcoin which is going mainstream. Maybe when Litecoin, Namecoin, PPcoin or some others share the spotlight we can stop worrying about making Bitcoin into a currency but right now if Bitcoin does not become a currency then the whole experiment will fail.

wow. That's like saying the success of a software company is dependant upon the success of Microsoft.

That's ridiculous. Sure, if bitcoin went into some kind of death spiral, say suffering from continuous 51% attacks etc, the alt coins would take a hit. no one's arguing that. And then, the alt coins would start to slowly divorce their value from bitcoin. The reason that people want bitcoins is because bitcoin is the first, it's big name, it's well known.

Heads up, Henry Ford was pretty smart, and the Model A WAS an entirely new concept. But while BILLIONS of people are driving automobiles, not too many of them are driving a Model A. Or a Model T, which was even more popular than the Model A. Things progress, through trial and error. people try things, and they work better or they don't. And then they try MORE new things, and THOSE things work better or they don't. That's just how it is. Has been forever. Will always be.
cre8r (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:19:10 PM

Okay what about mining? is it going to have a 3 day rule where the difficulty is low and then on the third day a spike or is it going to be fair to mine over a period of weeks?
Right now I'm doing some calculations. The reward will gradually grow up during first 25000 blocks (I believe this will be enough for difficulty to settle), and after that default rules will apply.

Here is a tweak on your idea to make the coin valuable it has to be psychologically scarce. You have the one coin but are the coin shares going to be scarce? Unless mining it becomes progressively more difficult or the rate of share generation slows down significantly how do you hope to accomplish this?

In summary lets say I mine 0.0000005, how do you make sure that amount is considered "scarce"?  You have to consider how much in BTC the 1 coin could be worth in total and then we'd know how much the individual shares could be worth.

Anyway it's not a bad idea. I view it as a community coin.
I believe it's a matter of supply and demand, the market will settle the price.
ymer

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:20:34 PM

About binaries: yes, windows binaries will be available as soon as I make the genesis block.

I'm sorry even after doing CTRL+F "difficulty" on OP I couldn't find what the starting difficulty will be.
WhitePhantom

Activity: 348

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:42:15 PM

...and the Model A WAS an entirely new concept...
The Model T came first.
thesnoo23

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:48:01 PM

...and the Model A WAS an entirely new concept...
The Model T came first.

Whatever. Who cares? NEITHER of them are used any more. We've come up with new cars. Some of them introduced brand new concepts, and some of them merely tweaked and improved existing concepts. When things are better, people adopt them. When they're not, sometimes people adopt them and sometimes they don't, and generally the one with the most original adopters wins. When something is LESS good, people generally don't adopt it and it languishes and stagnates. And when something new is introduced that is better at THIS than THAT, the new one tends to be used for THIS, and the old one tends to be used for THAT. People who hold on to the old one simply for the sake of holding on to what's already there and what they're familiar with fall behind those that adopt whatever is currently best for the purpose that they're applying it to.
cre8r (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:13:13 PM

I'm sorry even after doing CTRL+F "difficulty" on OP I couldn't find what the starting difficulty will be.
I didn't change it so it will remain the same as that of Litecoin - 0.
ymer

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:18:00 PM

I didn't change it so it will remain the same as that of Litecoin - 0.

STARTING DIFFICULTY = 0

ANOTHER SCAMCOIN
cre8r (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:26:45 PM

The reward will gradually grow up during first 25000 blocks (I believe this will be enough for difficulty to settle), and after that default rules will apply.
I can use big red font too. And please, learn to read before posting.
ymer

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:29:35 PM

The reward will gradually grow up during first 25000 blocks (I believe this will be enough for difficulty to settle), and after that default rules will apply.
I can use big red font too. And please, learn to read before posting.

Put that in OP....  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
cre8r (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:31:38 PM

Put that in OP....  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Did it. You're right, I should have done this before.
Luckybit

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:45:39 PM

wow. That's like saying the success of a software company is dependant upon the success of Microsoft.

That's ridiculous. Sure, if bitcoin went into some kind of death spiral, say suffering from continuous 51% attacks etc, the alt coins would take a hit. no one's arguing that. And then, the alt coins would start to slowly divorce their value from bitcoin. The reason that people want bitcoins is because bitcoin is the first, it's big name, it's well known.

Heads up, Henry Ford was pretty smart, and the Model A WAS an entirely new concept. But while BILLIONS of people are driving automobiles, not too many of them are driving a Model A. Or a Model T, which was even more popular than the Model A. Things progress, through trial and error. people try things, and they work better or they don't. And then they try MORE new things, and THOSE things work better or they don't. That's just how it is. Has been forever. Will always be.

They can't. Litecoins can never be more valuable than Bitcoin and can never divorce their value from Bitcoin because Bitcoins are more scarce than Litecoins. So if Bitcoins fail then so will Litecoins. Namecoins and PPcoins have a chance because they are significantly different and currently as scarce or more scarce than Bitcoins. Mincoin has a chance if it's actively developed, but Litecoin, Chinacoin, Feathercoin and all those coins with double, triple, or x10 as many total cap as Bitcoin will not be able to divorce their value from Bitcoin. The reason for this is when Bitcoin prices crash no one is going to think "yeah let me go buy some of them Litecoins that are worth 0.3 the value of Bitcoins!". What people think is "Let me cash out right now, this is stupid!".

I study the charts all day and when Bitcoin goes down so does Litecoin and all the other coins which follow that style of expanding the total cap. The coins which seem to not be tied to Bitcoin are PPcoin which are scarce, Mincoin which are scarce, etc. Perhaps Namecoin which is significantly different. My point is I need coins to put my money in when Bitcoin is volatile and I don't want to have to sell out.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:49:07 PM

They can't. Litecoins can never be more valuable than Bitcoin and can never divorce their value from Bitcoin because Bitcoins are more scarce than Litecoins. So if Bitcoins fail then so will Litecoins. Namecoins and PPcoins have a chance because they are significantly different and currently as scarce or more scarce than Bitcoins. Mincoin has a chance if it's actively developed, but Litecoin, Chinacoin, Feathercoin and all those coins with double, triple, or x10 as many total cap as Bitcoin will not be able to divorce their value from Bitcoin. The reason for this is when Bitcoin prices crash no one is going to think "yeah let me go buy some of them Litecoins that are worth 0.3 the value of Bitcoins!". What people think is "Let me cash out right now, this is stupid!".

I study the charts all day and when Bitcoin goes down so does Litecoin and all the other coins which follow that style of expanding the total cap. The coins which seem to not be tied to Bitcoin are PPcoin which are scarce, Mincoin which are scarce, etc. My point is I need coins to put my money in when Bitcoin is volatile and I don't want to have to sell out.

I beg you pardon? PPCoin are scarce? What's the total market cap of PPCoin, sir?

Luckybit

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:00:46 PM

I study the charts all day and when Bitcoin goes down so does Litecoin and all the other coins which follow that style of expanding the total cap. The coins which seem to not be tied to Bitcoin are PPcoin which are scarce, Mincoin which are scarce, etc. My point is I need coins to put my money in when Bitcoin is volatile and I don't want to have to sell out.

I beg you pardon? PPCoin are scarce? What's the total market cap of PPCoin, sir?

As of April 15 2013, PPCoin had a market cap of $4 million USD, making it the third largest crypto-currency.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPCoin

Total PPcoin cap according to Dustcoin 47256
Total Namecoin cap according to Dustcoin 46095
Total Litecoin cap according to Dustcoin 529869

http://dustcoin.com/mining

My theory is that because PPcoins and Namecoins have lower market caps that is the reason why they don't respond to Bitcoins crashes. I see the scarcity acting as some sort of buffer. Namecoins have gone down recently and so have PPcoins and all other coins but not in response to what Bitcoin is doing and more in response to Feathercoin, Chinacoin, Junkcoin etc. These are just my own observational opinions coupled with the facts.

Some additional facts which can change my mind or prove my theory correct would be finding the total number of PPcoins generated, total number of Litecoins generated, total number of Namecoins generated and the rate that they were generated. My theory is that coins which generate lots of coins at a quick rate are pump and dump and those sorts of coins which have generated a lot are much more prone to crashing, this is why I think Litecoin crashes along with Bitcoin but some of the more scarce coins don't. If it turns out somehow that PPcoin has more total coins than Litecoins then it would prove my theory incorrect and I would have to change my mind.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: