Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:53:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Who should be the listed owner of the Wall Observer thread? Choose all acceptable options. Your vote will be published.  (Voting closed: July 08, 2017, 01:48:25 PM)
lightfoot - 20 (12%)
arklan - 16 (9.6%)
Erkallys - 15 (9%)
infofront - 58 (34.7%)
Lauda - 35 (21%)
empowering - 23 (13.8%)
Total Voters: 110

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer new ownership  (Read 6873 times)
empowering
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1441

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 12:02:06 PM

wait, why are we going nuts in a month? did i miss something huge, again?

Seriously? The HAPPENING!!!

...the what now?

edit: oh god, you mean the segwit2x deadline of august 1... right.

Yep... and UASF, and... years waiting for a single moment like that. (I hope everything will go smooth though).

I am kind of questioning whether we are going to be able to identify any particular moment with any kind of preciseness...

for example, a moment in which we are assured that segwit is locked in because there are likely going to be some insiders who know way ahead of time about the inevitability of the dynamics to cause the price to move upwardly long before the mere mortals come to the realization that it REALLY IS LOCKED in....

Maybe I am being too pessimistic? or buying too much into the disparity of information conspiracies?

I was closely following the Litecoin segwit signaling and activation process. Yes, there is a moment in which it will be clear that even if all of them stop signaling there are already enough signaled blocks to lock it at the end of the period. Of course, you can assume way sooner that locking won't be stopped with a 95-95% chance of being right.

I do expect that miners play a little with their hashrate/signaling as they did with Litecoin though. And as they are actually doing right now with Bitcoin (see coindance).

It will be a very fun and interesting process to watch (and trade) in real time.... and talk about it in our reopened WO Smiley

P.S.: Hopefully with an owner/moderator that allows references to altcoins for comparison (such as Litecoin in this specific case).

Of course it's relevant.  Mention of alts never really needed policing, the thread members tend to flame it in any case.

The WO always veered off-topic, it was part of its appeal.  But the crowd all piled in to check which way the wind was blowing when there was action.  It was always a great barometer of sentiment, if not THE barometer of sentiment in crypto.

Such was (and hopefully will continue to be) its value.

Agreed

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
empowering
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 12:36:52 PM

wait, why are we going nuts in a month? did i miss something huge, again?

Seriously? The HAPPENING!!!

...the what now?

edit: oh god, you mean the segwit2x deadline of august 1... right.

I expect general hysteria- fear and euphoria

(.... so like most months around here Wink )

infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 01:53:38 PM

that's twice now that @empowering has come late to a thread promising laughs and activities

while his manifesto is now the most comprehensive, can he deliver it in real time?

can anyone else be bothered to expand theirs beyond a scattered line or two?

might mass changes of vote at this late stage stand Lauda a chance, which is something ~77% do not want?

I  admit I threw my hat in late, and I have had a busy few days.. but I DO have the time and the will - and I actually would like to do it... if that makes any difference.

I really enjoyed this thread over the years,  lets hope it remains a fun place to hang out, chew the cud, catch up on newses and check the forecasts of doooooooooooooooooom!  

If so then it is all good.

I spend most of my time eyeballing charts..... I do still have a picture of Monkey on the wall.

Also see my signature.

I threw my hat in the ring somewhat reluctantly, feeling a sense of duty after the success of the (unmoderated) WO fork.

It sounds like you want it more, and FWIW I think you'd be a good moderator.
spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2017, 04:12:30 PM

eh? really? why are we getting rid of the masterpiece that was that thread?

Society doesn't scale.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 4457

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 04:48:22 PM

I  admit I threw my hat in late, and I have had a busy few days.. but I DO have the time and the will - and I actually would like to do it... if that makes any difference.

I really enjoyed this thread over the years,  lets hope it remains a fun place to hang out, chew the cud, catch up on newses and check the forecasts of doooooooooooooooooom!  

If so then it is all good.

I spend most of my time eyeballing charts..... I do still have a picture of Monkey on the wall.

Also see my signature.

I threw my hat in the ring somewhat reluctantly, feeling a sense of duty after the success of the (unmoderated) WO fork.

It sounds like you want it more, and FWIW I think you'd be a good moderator.

If this is the passing of the reins that it seems to be, I'm all for it. Consensus in the community is a good thing. Meuh recently locked the phoenix fork and directed users here, so I assume that's another vote in favor.

Now if only the scaling debate could come to a consensus as quickly and easily...
____

@Theymos- any chance of allowing people to change their votes due to changing circumstances?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2017, 04:54:03 PM

I don't want anyone banned, just totally OTT racist hatred frowned upon and removed if it's extreme.
It does not matter whether you wanted someone banned. The moderation goes as follows: Moderator deletes your X posts -> you should not repost them or create posts of the similar type. Basically with r0ach, he just kept going on and on, thus ignoring the warnings (which are post deletions themselves). The next course of action is to request a ban (since most moderators can't issue them), which I did (as deleting was futile). Unfortunately, nobody picked up on that.

I am afraid my vote has gone elsewhere, but I am glad you have entered the debate on style and lightness of touch - people do want to know.
That is perfectly fine. I'm not trying to push my way in. As previously said, I like the thread occasionally but it has been ruined by altcoin/r0ach spam most of the time.

@Theymos- any chance of allowing people to change their votes due to changing circumstances?
Here:
How do I change my vote? ... all this last minute politicking has changed my mind on suitability of the candidates.
It's possible to change your vote now.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1510

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 05:30:28 PM

I just hope you don't get any stylistic trainings .. or heading too much in that direction...

I was thinking about nested quotes - wouldn't it be better if they were collapsible? The first level would be expanded by default and all higher levels collapsed. If a person needed extra context, they would hit a button or link to expand those higher levels. This could be achieved with simple CSS.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2017, 05:39:02 PM

I was thinking about nested quotes - wouldn't it be better if they were collapsible? The first level would be expanded by default and all higher levels collapsed. If a person needed extra context, they would hit a button or link to expand those higher levels. This could be achieved with simple CSS.
I do not think that such a change is likely to occur for the current forum. I don't recall how it works in the beta of the new software, but you should check it out and recommend it there. I am not exactly sure how this is relevant to the OP though. Tongue

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10153

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 06:06:12 PM

I do not think that such a change is likely to occur for the current forum. I don't recall how it works in the beta of the new software, but you should check it out and recommend it there. I am not exactly sure how this is relevant to the OP though. Tongue

I think in the Meuh thread some folks were irritated when he created a rule and deleted posts because of the "laziness" of over quoting.  He thought it would be good to prune ; however, it may be better, as Yefi suggest, to have programing that causes nesting rather than people complaining about over nesting.

Regarding an elected moderator to bow out or pass the baton, that seems a bit problematic - but many of the voters here were likely of the impression that anyone running for such WO "owner" position would be committed to carrying out such duties for a reasonable period of time, such as a year or more.. ... and well, I suppose in the end, it is up to Theymos if he believes that passing on ownership would be reasonable or if he would go through some other process, such as an election.. or maybe extending the election based on new information.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2017, 06:10:09 PM

I think in the Meuh thread some folks were irritated when he created a rule and deleted posts because of the "laziness" of over quoting.  He thought it would be good to prune ; however, it may be better, as Yefi suggest, to have programing that causes nesting rather than people complaining about over nesting.
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. Well, over-quoting is definitely problematic and I don't understand why some users persist in doing it.

Regarding an elected moderator to bow out or pass the baton, that seems a bit problematic - but many of the voters here were likely of the impression that anyone running for such WO "owner" position would be committed to carrying out such duties for a reasonable period of time, such as a year or more.. ... and well, I suppose in the end, it is up to Theymos if he believes that passing on ownership would be reasonable or if he would go through some other process, such as an election.. or maybe extending the election based on new information.
Usually the original owner of a self-moderated thread can impose any kind of rule-set. This means that they could just delete all of your posts just because they don't like your username. However, this is a very special case of transferring ownership. I do agree that a time period should be chosen (by theymos), after which it should be re-visited and decided whether the current owner should continue being the owner or whether someone else should be assigned to it.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 06:22:41 PM

My vote goes to infofront.

Seems to me the blatantly racist shit ought to be out of bounds. Maybe I'm a Jew. Maybe the monkey is. Who's to say?

Well is racism a rule?

Hey.. Can we get a rule about posting scam coins?
Racist commentary is not exactly high on my list of concerns here..
How about moving ICO coins into a new forum section?

But I vote Spoetnik I here good things about that guy.
Not that I have even the faintest clue what so ever what I am voting for though..
I'm just bummed I missed out on some of Roaches controversial posts Sad
You all can't deny their sneaky ways and predatory lending practices are getting out of hand.

A vote for Spoetnik is a vote for FUD!

PS:
The serial quoters are for sure iratating.
Nothing like scrolling past a whole page of a large quotes with one stupid sentence underneath it.

FUD first & ask questions later™
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 06:31:12 PM

My vote goes to infofront.

Seems to me the blatantly racist shit ought to be out of bounds. Maybe I'm a Jew. Maybe the monkey is. Who's to say?

Not that I have even the faintest clue what so ever what I am voting

Sput! You cray Cheesy

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 07:49:45 PM

I'm not Theymos, but on my screen I see a 'Remove Vote' option that will let you un-vote or re-vote if you want.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
WhatsBitcoin

Activity: 560
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 08:25:06 PM

Since this seems to have become the thread where candidates come to campaign, I'd like to ask Mr. Lauda a question regarding his recent alleged foray into the heady world of extortion rackets. Having recently been removed from a position of authority, do you believe you are the best person to moderate what is arguably the forum's most prominent thread?

Also, do you think I could be involved in your next undercover operation?

NB. This is the official alt account of BMB, this account will not be participating in the poll.

Get sick. Get well.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2017, 08:39:29 PM

Since this seems to have become the thread where candidates come to campaign, I'd like to ask Mr. Lauda a question regarding his recent alleged foray into the heady world of extortion rackets.
"Mr.", sexist? "Recent"?

Having recently been removed from a position of authority, do you believe you are the best person to moderate what is arguably the forum's most prominent thread?
What I believe is not relevant. The people pick the person (or being) that they want.

Also, do you think I could be involved in your next undercover operation?
No. Go troll someone else, idiot. Roll Eyes

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Merit: 1115

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 09:19:29 PM

What you believe is relevant. But don't bother with that crotchety old codswallop. Everybody makes mistakes.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10153

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 09:51:59 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2017, 10:05:51 PM by JayJuanGee

Having recently been removed from a position of authority, do you believe you are the best person to moderate what is arguably the forum's most prominent thread?
What I believe is not relevant. The people pick the person (or being) that they want.

hahahaha...

People pick the cat, or the non-cat that they like.  

Personally, I would not mind having a penquin.... but we cannot always get what we want in this world... so we gots ourselves compromises...

Cheesy

By the way, anyone find it a bit of a strange thing that so far, we have had fewer voters in this particular poll as compared with the what to do with the thread poll...

As I type 90 voted in this poll and 155 voted in the other poll.

Sure we have a few days left, yet I would have thought that with the passage of time, more members would have attempted to log into the WO thread and then gravitated towards these voting threads... and just that more votes would have come through in a shorter period of time

I guess my tentative theory is that WO participants are much more fleeting than I had considered and they seem to be more gravitating towards such WO thread when we have extremes in BTC price movements - which have not been happening in the last couple of weeks.  Prices have been relatively flat in the $2350 to $2700 price range in the last couple weeks, since the locking of the WO thread....

Time for a break out in terms of prices and in terms of recharging the allegedly "fleeting" WO posse?

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
r0ach
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 10:09:11 PM

Since this seems to have become the thread where candidates come to campaign, I'd like to ask Mr. Lauda a question regarding his recent alleged foray into the heady world of extortion rackets.
"Mr.", sexist? "Recent"?

Every creature on earth specializes in something through evolution.  Through millions of years, men evolved to specialize in hunting and building things, and since women are phsycially weaker and incapable of surviving on their own, they evolved to specialize in prostitution - to portray themselves like a fishing lure or peacock wearing bright colors attempting to attract attention from a male in order to extract resources and protection from them.

To claim men and women are the same or equal is utterly hilarious when they're not remotely similar.  To know the mind of a woman is to know the mind of a prostitute.  They're generally "takers" by nature, looking solely for an asymmetric relationship that favors themselves.  This is why men get along and women don't.  You can't have two prostitutes standing on the same street corner, it just doesn't work.  Two men can collaborate on building something together even in a zero sum game because they can work out a 50/50 split.  Such a split is considered offensive to a woman.  Utilitarianism is a completely alien concept to them.  

This is why when you look outside your window, every brick was put there by a man.  The people who are actually doing the building have to be in charge.  You can't allow prostitutes to be in charge because they're just looking to outsource the job to someone else and civilization would instantly collapse.  It's not just that women are prostitutes by nature, it's also that men are proactive and women are reactive.  This is due to testosterone making men less scared of risk.  In a matriarchal society, women would probably never go to mars.  In a patriarchal society, men would definitely go, and maybe everyone would die on the way there, but at least it would happen.

This concludes your lesson on why men and women are not equal or even remotely similar no matter how much of an artificial, marxist reality distortion bubble you believe into existence around yourself.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
Iranus

Activity: 1792
Merit: 534

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 10:29:40 PM

I'll ignore apparent vote-stuffing completely.

Probably I'll be able to tell the proper ordering by just skimming the color-coded voter list. In edge cases, I might devise some sort of point system.
Thanks.

Lauda is in the lead atm? Who would have thought....  Shocked
Indeed. Then again, I almost don't know the people listed and had expected others to be candidates(?).

I do not.  When he was a Mod, I asked Lauda why posts I had written were deletd and r0ach's anti-semitic hate posts were untouched on the same page.  

He did not answer.

For me intolerance to the point of advocating genocide and the killing of millions of people is NOT really ok.  It's kind a red line issue.

So in the interests of an open debate, what is your position Lauda? Do you just crave the power? Can you tell us if you're a light touch, laissez-faire type, or a totalitarian?
Rule wise, I think no altcoin talk and no anti-semitic hate stuff (et. al.) is fair and not too restrictive.
Does "no altcoin talk" apply to every single mention of altcoins, or is it acceptable to mention altcoins in relation to Bitcoin?

For example, I say "ETH's system encourages maximalism because it attempts to have all altcoins built on its platform and bring all the hype with it.  To insult people for 'Bitcoin maximalism' is plain dumb if the altcoin you're promoting directly tries to trigger it's own maximalism'".

Would that sort of post be okay and discussion about that topic?

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
empowering
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 11:19:37 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2017, 11:33:31 PM by empowering

Clip

Would that sort of post be okay and discussion about that topic?

In my view FWIW the ecosystem that Bitcoin exists in is so heavily interlinked with Altcoins - that references to them are  natural and even inevitable, so discussions which stray onto Altcoins are fine in my view- obviously to an extent, I think its just the excessive hardcore shilling, spamming, trolling aimed at promoting altcoins, ICO's POnzi's P&D's etc which are less fine and more likely to get on peoples nerves? or simply be better placed in another thread? That being said this thread has turned into a general hang out, so you know- as long as it doesn't turn into the Shitcoin thread - don't think its toooo much of a problem? as has been mentioned also- it generally goes down like a sack of Ether in a flash crash around here, so it doesn't really get much traction when it is an overt sales pitch.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: