Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:29:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [RELEASE] Avalon Reference  (Read 17797 times)
dan99

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:19:56 AM

How is the BOM and comms protocol coming along for release?

We really need the BOM and communication protocol and power supply current estimates...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
drewh

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 07:41:46 AM

Some people have asked about the FPGA bitstream. It makes sense that the FPGA bitstream would be one of the last things they provide in order to work out any bugs. It could be changed very last minute.

On the other hand, it should be noted that they want to keep the bit stream to themselves. Do we know that they don’t mind completing with others using their reference board design? They might have just released the design as a form of documentation with no plan of allowing other to use it as a competitive product. Technically this is very easy. The Spartan 6 allows its bitstream to be encrypted - this makes it impossible to steal the bitstream.

Oh, and BTW, I know others are designing board which require no FPGA, but until we have communication protocol specifications we don’t know if that approach will work, or is even possible.

I don’t mean cry the sky is falling, but do we actually have a commitment on their intention with the ref board release? Personally, I’m planning on using the klondike design, but wanted to be clear that there are still risks.

Drew
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 09:50:09 AM

Some people have asked about the FPGA bitstream. It makes sense that the FPGA bitstream would be one of the last things they provide in order to work out any bugs. It could be changed very last minute.

On the other hand, it should be noted that they want to keep the bit stream to themselves. Do we know that they don’t mind completing with others using their reference board design? They might have just released the design as a form of documentation with no plan of allowing other to use it as a competitive product. Technically this is very easy. The Spartan 6 allows its bitstream to be encrypted - this makes it impossible to steal the bitstream.

Oh, and BTW, I know others are designing board which require no FPGA, but until we have communication protocol specifications we don’t know if that approach will work, or is even possible.

I don’t mean cry the sky is falling, but do we actually have a commitment on their intention with the ref board release? Personally, I’m planning on using the klondike design, but wanted to be clear that there are still risks.

Drew

You are right.
However, they are selling bare chips. So they have some incentive to support the DIY scene too.
Yes, it's two conflicting positions, from an economic view.
It is not conflicting if they have "the greater good of bitcoin" in mind.
And from all I have seen from Avalon, I am very sure exactly that is the point.

Oh, and kudos for not wasting your time playing in the bitcointalk sandbox, Yifu. I really mean it, I much prefer you to do real work instead!

Ente
fpgaminer

Activity: 560
Merit: 517

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 10:41:07 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2013, 10:55:35 AM by fpgaminer

Looks like BitSyncom pushed a new commit that has a datasheet with some comm protocol descriptions.

EDIT: For the lazy, the new document: https://github.com/BitSyncom/avalon-ref/blob/master/SPEC/A3256Q48-130507-V03-EN.pdf

Also: https://github.com/BitSyncom/avalon-ref/blob/master/UNLICENSE

Lookin' good, team Avalon!

goodney

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 07:13:14 PM

Thanks for the update BitSyncom!

One critical piece seems to be missing from the chip datasheet. How do you set the difficulty for the shares? Or is it fixed?

Also, is the HDL code for the FPGA coming?

-a[g
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 07:59:58 PM

Thanks for the update BitSyncom!

One critical piece seems to be missing from the chip datasheet. How do you set the difficulty for the shares? Or is it fixed?

-a[g

is their a way to set the fan speed at 100%?
sLide.

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 08:10:31 PM

This looks pretty impressive.  Wish I  knew what the hell I am looking at.  Shocked Huh

Aim - Slide.0
1J6UeiXtBYXmpA6uajRs3aJpUD1Tsj1CF3 - Tips?
fpgaminer

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 08:38:35 PM

How do you set the difficulty for the shares? Or is it fixed?
You don't; all core mining algorithms designed to-date work to solve difficulty 1, as do these ASICs.  The controlling software is responsible for filtering out shares that don't meet the required difficulty.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 08:44:55 PM

You don't; all core mining algorithms designed to-date work to solve difficulty 1, as do these ASICs.  The controlling software is responsible for filtering out shares that don't meet the required difficulty.

I dont have any experience but wouldnt that mean there is hashpower going lost when it calculates things that cant be used and thrown away?

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
fpgaminer

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 08:56:16 PM

I dont have any experience but wouldnt that mean there is hashpower going lost when it calculates things that cant be used and thrown away?
Nope; and besides, all mining algorithms work this way.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 09:02:42 PM

Nope; and besides, all mining algorithms work this way.

Now i remember... the difficulty was no var in hashing... it was only the border at which height a block could be found. When it was below no block was found.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
strombom

Activity: 77

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 09:41:39 PM

Looking at point 10 it seems like the HDL code will be open source: http://store.avalon-asics.com/?page_id=9605
goodney

Activity: 102

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:05:21 PM

Thanks... help me out here to clarify my thinking:

At difficulty 1 the target will be: 0x00000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Which is 32 leading zeros. This divides the 256-bit hash space in 2^32 segments. This means on average one out of every 2^32 hashes will be a valid share. So one Avalon chip at 256Mh/s will return a valid share once every 16 seconds.

-a[g
fpgaminer

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 01:59:47 AM

At difficulty 1 the target will be: 0x00000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Which is 32 leading zeros. This divides the 256-bit hash space in 2^32 segments. This means on average one out of every 2^32 hashes will be a valid share. So one Avalon chip at 256Mh/s will return a valid share once every 16 seconds.
Yup, you've got it right.

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 02:13:20 AM

Yup, you've got it right.
Yes, except the Avalon is designed to do partial nonce ranges. So in practice you give each one a start nonce value and let it run some period suitable for the none to reach the value of the next range, after which it's wasting cycles. The controller needs to know when a range should be done and send more work. This divides the total nonce time by the number of Avalon in a chain.

rassalas

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 11:40:42 PM

/topic as promised.

https://github.com/BitSyncom/avalon-ref

will be updated continuously within a next few days.

I have a burning question,  I've sifted through the Github docs, but am having a hard time figuring out what cad software was used to create the pcbdoc and the Schdoc files. 
I'm assuming the BOM files were also generated by the same Cad program.  Anyone know?
Rassalas
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 12:15:06 AM

/topic as promised.

I have a burning question,  I've sifted through the Github docs, but am having a hard time figuring out what cad software was used to create the pcbdoc and the Schdoc files. 
I'm assuming the BOM files were also generated by the same Cad program.  Anyone know?
Rassalas
Altium Designer. They do have a free viewer for Windows on their web site. No Linux sadly.

el_rlee
Legendary

Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 01:40:28 PM

/topic as promised.

Rassalas
Altium Designer. They do have a free viewer for Windows on their web site. No Linux sadly.

And the viewer is not free... gotta register.
ecliptic

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 03:38:14 AM

iirc they made PDFs of the schematics, but i think they forgot and made it only of say, page #2 of a 2 page document, on some of them

the gerbers should be able to be viewable at least
grabber

Activity: 67

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 01:59:41 PM

Awesome release! Thanks!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: