Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:14:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Ripple™ is against everything Bitcoin  (Read 45542 times)
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 03:04:18 PM

@JoelKatz

Introduction

Ripple is an open source peer-to-peer payment system. (LIE !!) Ripple lets you easily, cheaply, and safely send money over the Internet to anyone, anywhere in the world. Because Ripple is P2P software, no individual, corporation, or government controls Ripple. Anyone can create a Ripple account. The Ripple network operates through the combined efforts of the copies of the Ripple software that are running all over the world.

Like Bitcoin:
    Ripple is an open source, distributed peer-to-peer payment network (LIE !!)
    Ripple transactions are irreversible, sent over the Internet, and counterfeit proof (LIE !!)
    Ripple uses the same underlying cryptography as Bitcoin (LIE !!)

LIARS, LIARS, LIARS !!

Please do something for me: DIE.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 03:34:15 PM

LIARS, LIARS, LIARS !!

In the two decades that I've discussed everything from politics to religion to philosophy over the Internet with people, I can count on my two hands the number of times I've become convinced that a person was not arguing in good faith. You have joined a very exclusive club.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 03:36:37 PM

LIARS, LIARS, LIARS !!

In the more than a decade that I've discussed everything from politics to religion to philosophy over the Internet with people, I can count on my two hands the number of times I've become convinced that a person was not arguing in good faith. You have joined a very exclusive club.

Joel, can I get a reply to my last question: is there a place where I can see the total amount of XRPs in circulation? Thanks.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
nameface

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 03:37:31 PM

Yeah, I'm sure they'll get right on that.  Roll Eyes

Sure, Ripple is closed source masquerading as open source on the wiki, but they intend to go open source as soon as possible. So what's the big deal? It's in beta.

I feel like you overly hate-filled P-BARs could be fakes, repeating the same arguments over and over again in an attempt to numb us until we stop caring about any true flaws in Ripple. Creating simple straw men that even newbs like me can attack, all in an effort to compel everyone that Ripple is actually stronger than it is. Or are you just an idiot?
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 03:40:04 PM

Joel, can I get a reply to my last question: is there a place where I can see the total amount of XRPs in circulation? Thanks.

If you go to https://ripple.com/graph you can see the total number of XRP in existence. This doesn't tell you which ones are owned by OpenCoin. But there's a spreadsheet floating around somewhere that has the account numbers which hold the initial billions, you can subtract those out and compute what's out. Last I checked the total XRP in circulation was about 700 million.

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 03:40:06 PM

It kind of depends on what you mean by "in circulation". But assuming the most natural interpretation, I believe the number is a bit less than one billion. I'll try to find out a more accurate number.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 03:40:46 PM

Here's how I see it:

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 03:55:24 PM

what i think is happening is that the OpenCoin dev team is beginning to realize that all the arguments being presented in this forum by Ripple skeptics are real, a true problem, and not imaginary.  

i believe there is a scramble going on within trying to address all the good points made in this, and other threads, by ppl like myself who have significant concerns.

thus, the seemingly endless delay in opening the code.  the real problem then would be if it's even possible to re-engineer the Ripple concept.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:10:44 PM

LIARS, LIARS, LIARS !!

In the two decades that I've discussed everything from politics to religion to philosophy over the Internet with people, I can count on my two hands the number of times I've become convinced that a person was not arguing in good faith. You have joined a very exclusive club.

Little explanation:
I didn't mean for you to actually "die", but I am pretty damn angry for cheating me this way nevertheless.

You are scammers just for the fact of lying on your site & wiki. I hope you realize that.

Coinseeker

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:13:59 PM
Last edit: May 13, 2013, 04:26:50 PM by Coinseeker

what i think is happening is that the OpenCoin dev team is beginning to realize that all the arguments being presented in this forum by Ripple skeptics are real, a true problem, and not imaginary.  

i believe there is a scramble going on within trying to address all the good points made in this, and other threads, by ppl like myself who have significant concerns.

thus, the seemingly endless delay in opening the code.  the real problem then would be if it's even possible to re-engineer the Ripple concept.

While all this is speculation, I don't think there's a scramble at all.  Why would there need to be?  It's been clear from the start that Ripple is in beta and has made promises that it intends to honor (open source and others) once it comes out of beta.  What I see is fear from the mining community who seem threatened by something that isn't a competitor, which I don't understand.  The proper approach, as has been repeated over and over again, is wait and see.  If anything OpenCoin is fully aware they are going to be held to the highest standards possible by the crypto community and if they are wise, are working to honor every promise made.  

I will continue to give them the benefit of the doubt because I think the advantages, that I do understand, are worth it. Bitcoin certainly isn't doing anything to make up for it's own shortcoming.  

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:14:38 PM

Is it really a lie when it's on wiki? I don't believe anything I read on wiki until i verify it somewhere else because too many people can edit it.

anti-scam

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

COINECT

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:38:35 PM

LIARS, LIARS, LIARS !!

Telling people to die is definitely overboard. I wouldn't even wish death on RealSolid.

Quote from: nameface
I feel like you overly hate-filled P-BARs could be fakes, repeating the same arguments over and over again in an attempt to numb us until we stop caring about any true flaws in Ripple. Creating simple straw men that even newbs like me can attack, all in an effort to compel everyone that Ripple is actually stronger than it is. Or are you just an idiot?

This is a good point. If ShadowOfHarbringer is real then he needs to tone it down. He also needs to realize that the fundamental problem with Ripple is that it uses a pre-mined currency. Its closed source code is just another example of OpenCoin's tendency toward centralization.

▄▄▓▓▄▄   ▄▓▓▓▄
            ▄▄▓▓▀    ▀▓▓▓▀   ▀▓▓▓▄
         ▄▓▓▀▀        ▐▓         ▀▓▓▓
         ▓▓   ░▓▓▒    ▐▓     ▓▓░   ▐▓
         ▓▓    ░▀▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▀▀    ▐▓
      ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░  ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
    ▓▓▀     ▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▄   ▀▀    ▀▓▓░
    ▓▓        ▓▓▓░    ▐▓     ▀▓▓▄        ▓░
    ▓▓▄▄▄    ▐▓░   ▄▓▄▓▓▒▄▓▄   ▓▓░   ▄▄▄▄▓░
    ▓▓▀▀▀    ▐▓░   ▀▀▀▓▓▒▀▀    ▓▓░   ▀▀▀▒▓░
    ▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄   ▐▓    ▄▓▓▓▀       ░▓░
    ▀▓▓▄▄  ▄▓▄   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓▒   ▓▄   ▄▓▓▓░
        ▀▓▓▓▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓░   ▀▀▓▓▓▀░
         ▓▓    ▄▓▓▓   ▐▓    ▓▓▄░   ▐▓░░
         ▀▓▄   ▀▓     ▐▓     ▀▀   ▄▓▓░
           ▀▓▓▓▄      ▓▓░      ▄▓▓▀░
               ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▀░▓▓▓▄▓▓▓░
COINECT
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
AI-based decentralized
arbitrage trading system
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄
                        ▄▄█████▀▀███
                    ▄▄████▀▀     ███
              ▄▄▄████▀▀    ▄▄   ▐██
          ▄▄█████▀       ▄█▀    ██▌
     ▄▄████▀▀▀       ▄███▀      ██▌
    ████▀        ▄▄████▀       ▐██
     ██████▄▄  ▄█████▀         ██▌
          ▀████████           ▐██
            ▀████▌            ███
             ▀███  ▄██▄▄     ▐██▀
              ███▄███▀███▄   ███
              ▀███▀▀   ▀▀███▄██▌
                          ▀▀█▀▀

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ███████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ▐▓███████▄
█              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
lexxus

Activity: 309

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:41:46 PM

Can somebody explain what is the problem with making a pre-mined currency? If it's a common knowledge, I don't see any problem.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:44:19 PM

While all this is speculation, I don't think there's a scramble at all.  Why would there need to be?  It's been clear from the start that Ripple is in beta and has made promises that it intends to honor (open source and others) once it comes out of beta.  What I see is fear from the mining community who seem threatened by something that isn't a competitor, which I don't understand.  The proper approach, as has been repeated over and over again, is wait and see.  If anything OpenCoin is fully aware they are going to be held to the highest standards possible by the crypto community and if they are wise, are working to honor every promise made.  

I will continue to give them the benefit of the doubt because I think the advantages, that I do understand, are worth it. Bitcoin certainly isn't doing anything to make up for it's own shortcoming.  

i base this on a matter of timing.

if i were in charge of their marketing, i would not have issued all those Ripples, nor started talking about it on this forum, until i was ready to release the code.  perhaps they thought they were until the blowback started.

this delay is hurting them clearly.

even Joel's tone has changed in his conciliatory response to evoorhees above.  
anti-scam

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

COINECT

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:49:21 PM

Can somebody explain what is the problem with making a pre-mined currency? If it's a common knowledge, I don't see any problem.

1. OpenCoin can manipulate the price by dumping XRPs.
2. It's a centralized feature that goes against the decentralization ethos of the cryptocurrency community. There's a reason that Satoshi didn't do it.
3. It is arguably unfair.
4. If there's this much controversy over it on these forums then your average person will never accept it. They are already wary of cryptocurrency.

With Bitcoin I can say that the coins are given out via lottery. This seems fair to people. With XRP I have to say that the creators gave themselves all 100 billion of it and intend on using most of it for profit. They won't accept that.

▄▄▓▓▄▄   ▄▓▓▓▄
            ▄▄▓▓▀    ▀▓▓▓▀   ▀▓▓▓▄
         ▄▓▓▀▀        ▐▓         ▀▓▓▓
         ▓▓   ░▓▓▒    ▐▓     ▓▓░   ▐▓
         ▓▓    ░▀▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▀▀    ▐▓
      ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░  ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
    ▓▓▀     ▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▄   ▀▀    ▀▓▓░
    ▓▓        ▓▓▓░    ▐▓     ▀▓▓▄        ▓░
    ▓▓▄▄▄    ▐▓░   ▄▓▄▓▓▒▄▓▄   ▓▓░   ▄▄▄▄▓░
    ▓▓▀▀▀    ▐▓░   ▀▀▀▓▓▒▀▀    ▓▓░   ▀▀▀▒▓░
    ▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄   ▐▓    ▄▓▓▓▀       ░▓░
    ▀▓▓▄▄  ▄▓▄   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓▒   ▓▄   ▄▓▓▓░
        ▀▓▓▓▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓░   ▀▀▓▓▓▀░
         ▓▓    ▄▓▓▓   ▐▓    ▓▓▄░   ▐▓░░
         ▀▓▄   ▀▓     ▐▓     ▀▀   ▄▓▓░
           ▀▓▓▓▄      ▓▓░      ▄▓▓▀░
               ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▀░▓▓▓▄▓▓▓░
COINECT
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
AI-based decentralized
arbitrage trading system
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄
                        ▄▄█████▀▀███
                    ▄▄████▀▀     ███
              ▄▄▄████▀▀    ▄▄   ▐██
          ▄▄█████▀       ▄█▀    ██▌
     ▄▄████▀▀▀       ▄███▀      ██▌
    ████▀        ▄▄████▀       ▐██
     ██████▄▄  ▄█████▀         ██▌
          ▀████████           ▐██
            ▀████▌            ███
             ▀███  ▄██▄▄     ▐██▀
              ███▄███▀███▄   ███
              ▀███▀▀   ▀▀███▄██▌
                          ▀▀█▀▀

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ███████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ▐▓███████▄
█              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:04:10 PM

1. OpenCoin can manipulate the price by dumping XRPs.
2. It's a centralized feature that goes against the decentralization ethos of the cryptocurrency community. There's a reason that Satoshi didn't do it.
3. It is arguably unfair.
4. If there's this much controversy over it on these forums then your average person will never accept it. They are already wary of cryptocurrency.

With Bitcoin I can say that the coins are given out via lottery. This seems fair to people. With XRP I have to say that the creators gave themselves all 100 billion of it and intend on using most of it for profit. They won't accept that.

sorry, need to add to this list:

5.  based on non-contractual debt
6.  trust based
7.  not only OpenCoin, but gateways, are centralized.
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:04:30 PM

i base this on a matter of timing.

if i were in charge of their marketing, i would not have issued all those Ripples, nor started talking about it on this forum, until i was ready to release the code.  perhaps they thought they were until the blowback started.

this delay is hurting them clearly.

even Joel's tone has changed in his conciliatory response to evoorhees above.  

You could be right.  I took the "tone" as frustration having to repeat himself over and over again, because people don't actually read posts that are contradictory to their ideological beliefs, then hurl insults and attempt to slander someones credibility and integrity.  Additionally, I don't consider a few forum posts as legitimate "blowback" Again, they are not competitors and it dosen't really matter what a handful of bitcoiners thinks.  Ripple is aiming to be bigger than bitcoin in it's own right, not as the new Bitcoin.  Bitcoin is just one currency that's usable within the Ripple network.  Bitcoiners should be happy about that.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:09:50 PM

Can someone explain how Ripple does the automatic currency exchange between Bitcoin and fiat? Wouldn't they need to go through an exchange like MtGox to do that?

Coinseeker

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:11:42 PM

Can someone explain how Ripple does the automatic currency exchange between Bitcoin and fiat? Wouldn't they need to go through an exchange like MtGox to do that?

Yes, that's the gateway. 

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:15:33 PM

Yes, that's the gateway. 

Do they have a MtGox account/bank accounts everywhere or are they going to make an exchange, essentially be a bank?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: