Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:22:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Join a pooled bitcoin mining effort  (Read 53321 times)
doublec (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 09:22:01 AM

I've started a pooled mining server using puddinpop's remote mining version of bitcoin being discussed in the technical forum: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1458.0

Due to high difficulty levels it will take a long time for a CPU based miner to generate a block and get 50 coins. By joining in the pooled effort you combine your efforts with everyone else in the pool. The server ensures everyone is working cooperatively so the average time to generate the coins for the entire pool is based on the sum of their hash values. The pool server then distributes the 50 coins based on the contributions of the people in the pool. See the technical thread for more details.

I've put a page up containing the latest version of puddinpop's software and instructions on how to connect to my server: http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/bitcoin-pool/

There is currently no version of the miner for GPU's but hopefully one will be available soon. Currently there are 26 clients with a combined khash of 25,000.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mpkomara

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 09:55:25 AM

Is there a client one can download that is essentially plug and play?  i'm afraid i won't get very far in the process of connecting to a server, and i won't be the only one.
doublec (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 10:06:18 AM

Is there a client one can download that is essentially plug and play?  i'm afraid i won't get very far in the process of connecting to a server, and i won't be the only one.
The problem is you need an address to have coins sent back to you. I guess you could have a client that ran, prompted for the address, then connected to the hardcoded server. Is that what you mean?
mpkomara

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 10:11:20 AM

yes.  anything that reduces the amount of work i have to do.  The bitcoin client I have on my machine says "Generate Coins" and that's as technical as I need to get.

bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2010, 03:30:28 PM

I am trying to build pooled miner for linux:

(steps from http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/bitcoin-pool/)

Code:
$ cmake .
-- The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
-- Found BerkeleyDB: /usr/lib/libdb.so
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/denizzz/bitcoin-pooled

$ make
[ 11%] Building CXX object cmake-bitcoinr/CMakeFiles/bitcoinr.dir/__/src/remoteminermain.cpp.o
In file included from /home/denizzz/bitcoin-pooled/src/remote/remotebitcoinheaders.h:33,
                 from /home/denizzz/bitcoin-pooled/src/remoteminermain.cpp:19:
/home/denizzz/bitcoin-pooled/src/remote/../uint256.h:364: error: ‘VERSION’ was not declared in this scope
/home/denizzz/bitcoin-pooled/src/remote/../uint256.h:370: error: ‘VERSION’ was not declared in this scope
/home/denizzz/bitcoin-pooled/src/remote/../uint256.h:376: error: ‘VERSION’ was not declared in this scope

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 04:33:02 PM

I believe pudding has even enabled GPU support in it,...

i don't think so, unfortunately the -gpu switch doesn't do anything for me on the remoteminer.

mpkomara

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 06:20:11 PM

thank you.

1) how many instances of remoteminer should i run?
2) how do i see my contribution of khash/s as a percentage of all the khash/s in the pool?
3) when i gettin paid yo
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 06:25:18 PM

1) one for every CPU-core you want to use
2) you'll get status-messages from the server showing both, yours and the combined hashrates. just do the math yourself
3) when the pool generates a block, you'll still have to wait 120blocks for the coins to "mature" to get you share

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 06:33:17 PM

How often will this be updated?  Can I write a bitcoinblogger article on this?
jimbobway
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 06:45:54 PM

Write an article. Doublec plans to keep his up for a while, and if need be, I'll toss one up if he can't. Publish the tutorials, links, whatever. The more people that participate, the more likely everyone will get a small share more often.

Ok, maybe this weekend, but we need to make it as easy as possible to run this.  Maybe have a GUI to enter in the bitcoin address or any other info.
jimbobway
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 06:48:02 PM

Also, how is the bandwidth, CPU usage going?  How many clients can it support?
puddinpop

Activity: 103
Merit: 17

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 10:50:32 PM

(steps from http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/bitcoin-pool/)

Code:
$ cmake .
-- The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
-- Found BerkeleyDB: /usr/lib/libdb.so
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/denizzz/bitcoin-pooled

$ make
[ 11%] Building CXX object cmake-bitcoinr/CMakeFiles/bitcoinr.dir/__/src/remoteminermain.cpp.o
In file included from /home/denizzz/bitcoin-pooled/src/remote/remotebitcoinheaders.h:33,
/home/denizzz/bitcoin-pooled/src/remote/../uint256.h:364: error: ‘VERSION’ was not declared in this scope
/home/denizzz/bitcoin-pooled/src/remote/../uint256.h:370: error: ‘VERSION’ was not declared in this scope
/home/denizzz/bitcoin-pooled/src/remote/../uint256.h:376: error: ‘VERSION’ was not declared in this scope

Try to move the #include for serialize.h before the #include for uint256.h in remotebitcoinheaders.h, and see if you get further.

doublec (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 11:05:50 PM

I updated the instructions to include this step:

Overwrite the $SOURCEDIR/src/remote/remotebitcoinheaders.h with http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/bitcoin-pool/remotebitcoinheaders.h

It changes the include files so compilation works.
doublec (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 11:08:05 PM

I'll be keeping it going as long as puddinpop doesn't mind the use of his code. I'll keep updating the page on my site when things change. If anything it's an interesting experiment in how workable pooled mining is.

puddinpop updated new versions of the software so at some point I'll have to bring the server down and start the new version. This means all currently connected clients will be disconnected for a bit. I don't know if it automatically reconnects or if they have to be restarted.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 11:44:32 PM

Is this interface just a modified 'getwork'?

My CPU miner is quite fast using the '4way' algorithm, and should provide superior khash/sec for pooled miners.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
doublec (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 11:49:39 PM

Is this interface just a modified 'getwork'?

My CPU miner is quite fast using the '4way' algorithm, and should provide superior khash/sec for pooled miners.

I'm definitely interested in seeing a version of your CPU miner that works against the pooled server. If someone else doesn't get to it I'll try and see what's involved in a few days.
doublec (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 11:52:05 PM

Just a heads up - I've updated the server to the latest version of puddinpop's code. Existing running clients will have disconnected for a short time and should have automatically reconnected. To get the benefits of the new server you should update your remote mining client to the latest version. I've updated the pool page with this:

http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/bitcoin-pool/

One of the nice features of the new client is it tells you how many blocks the server has generated, and how many coins you'd earn based on your hash rate if the server were to generate a block. Also, less bandwidth utilization!
bitcoinex

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2010, 03:46:18 AM

Try to move the #include for serialize.h before the #include for uint256.h in remotebitcoinheaders.h, and see if you get further.

New error after moving serialize.h:

Code:
$ make
/home/denizzz/bitcoin-pooled/src/remote/../serialize.h: In function ‘void Unserialize_impl(Stream&, std::vector<T, A>&, int, int, const boost::true_type&)’:
/home/denizzz/bitcoin-pooled/src/remote/../serialize.h:475: error: there are no arguments to ‘min’ that depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of ‘min’ must be available

I wonder how it is builds under the windows Smiley

- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
doublec (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2010, 03:49:30 AM

Delete all the #include "../" include's in src/remote/remotebitcoinminer.h. Replace with one include: #include "../headers.h". That works for me.

bitcoinex

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2010, 03:56:27 AM

Delete all the #include "../" include's in src/remote/remotebitcoinminer.h. Replace with one include: #include "../headers.h". That works for me.

file not found

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: