Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:51:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Join a pooled bitcoin mining effort  (Read 53321 times)
FairUser

Activity: 1344
Merit: 264

bit.ly/3QXp3oh | Ultimate Launchpad on TON

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 03:36:20 AM

I considered doing this but ended up taking the easy path of just distributing puddinpop's binaries directly.

Oh really?  Thank you for clarifying that.
I can't seem to locate the original URL for his binaries. 
Could you share that please?

TONUP██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄███████▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████▄░▄▄▀█████▀▄████▄
▄███████▄▀█▄▀██▀▄███████▄
█████████▄▀█▄▀▄██████████
██████████▄▀█▄▀██████████
██████████▀▄▀█▄▀█████████
▀███████▀▄██▄▀█▄▀███████▀
▀████▀▄█████▄▀▀░▀█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀█████▄
▄██████████▀▀█████▐████▄
██████▀▀████▄▄▀▀█████████
████▄▄███▄██▀█████▐██████
█████████▀██████████████
▀███████▌▐██████▐██████▀
▀███████▄▄███▄████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████▀▀███▀▀███▀▀██▀███▄
████▀███████▀█▀███▀█████
██████████████████████
████▄███████▄█▄███▄█████
▀████▄▄███▄▄███▄▄██▄███▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
JOIN NOW
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
doublec (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 03:38:18 AM

I considered doing this but ended up taking the easy path of just distributing puddinpop's binaries directly.

Oh really?  Thank you for clarifying that.
I can't seem to locate the original URL for his binaries. 
Could you share that please?

It's linked from my pooled mining page. First post here:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1458.0
doublec (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 03:40:36 AM

WHY AM I ONLY GETTING "8.10162 BTC if this block is solved"?  I should be getting 18.535, which is about what I saw before the update a week ago.  I know there has been talk about distribution methods, but I don't care what you call it when the math is wrong and the amount paid out and is far less than what it should be.

The server is running the contributed method. This means each user gets a portion based on the actual number of hashes contributed. So if the pool was running for 2 days and your miners have only been running for 12 hours then you haven't contributed anywhere near the number of hashes as your percentage of the current hash value of the pool. You should be seeing the amount of BTC you would earn slowly increasing over time if you joined the pool recently.
FairUser

Activity: 1344
Merit: 264

bit.ly/3QXp3oh | Ultimate Launchpad on TON

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 03:58:15 AM

WHY AM I ONLY GETTING "8.10162 BTC if this block is solved"?  I should be getting 18.535, which is about what I saw before the update a week ago.  I know there has been talk about distribution methods, but I don't care what you call it when the math is wrong and the amount paid out and is far less than what it should be.

The server is running the contributed method. This means each user gets a portion based on the actual number of hashes contributed. So if the pool was running for 2 days and your miners have only been running for 12 hours then you haven't contributed anywhere near the number of hashes as your percentage of the current hash value of the pool. You should be seeing the amount of BTC you would earn slowly increasing over time if you joined the pool recently.

I've been at it since you put the server up. Wink

Hrm...so what happens to the counter that says how much I've contributed after the server crashes and get's restarted?

TONUP██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄███████▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████▄░▄▄▀█████▀▄████▄
▄███████▄▀█▄▀██▀▄███████▄
█████████▄▀█▄▀▄██████████
██████████▄▀█▄▀██████████
██████████▀▄▀█▄▀█████████
▀███████▀▄██▄▀█▄▀███████▀
▀████▀▄█████▄▀▀░▀█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀█████▄
▄██████████▀▀█████▐████▄
██████▀▀████▄▄▀▀█████████
████▄▄███▄██▀█████▐██████
█████████▀██████████████
▀███████▌▐██████▐██████▀
▀███████▄▄███▄████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████▀▀███▀▀███▀▀██▀███▄
████▀███████▀█▀███▀█████
██████████████████████
████▄███████▄█▄███▄█████
▀████▄▄███▄▄███▄▄██▄███▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
JOIN NOW
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
doublec (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 04:09:51 AM

I've been at it since you put the server up. Wink

Hrm...so what happens to the counter that says how much I've contributed after the server crashes and get's restarted?
The server saves the number of hashes on exit and reloads it on restart. If you think there are issues with the way things are calculated you should post in the Pooled/Remote Mining thread so the author of the code can respond:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1458.0
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 04:28:49 AM

The server saves the number of hashes on exit and reloads it on restart.
confirmed, it still showed my last expected btc-share after downtimes, you wont lose anything even when the server goes offline for a nap (as long as it wakes up again and finds a block someday).

running only 1CPU 24/7 and a GPU ~20/7 on the pool my numbers look quite alright, also nothing to complain here.

will be interesting to see some pool-competition, as soon as slush comes up with his cooperative mining solution,
i'm curious and looking forward to it.

inertia

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2010, 08:27:15 AM

@FairUser asked a very good question and I'm glad he did.  It took me a few days to discern the rules by observation.  Since this is totally experimental, not to mention donation driven, I wanted to just watch and learn.  I really appreciate all the effort @doublec put into this, to just let us pound away at this. Grin
doublec (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 01:15:27 PM

New block generated by the pool:

http://blockexplorer.com/block/000000000004c6f77930f9dbaf8f424723da3f832af9063d628946565b82d657
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2010, 01:28:17 PM

It's cool how the generation is instantly dispatched

doublec (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 01:37:10 PM

The very small divisions could get a bit annoying though. Some people have asked if it's worth rounding to 0.01 so people don't have odd amounts stuck in their wallets. On the other hand if they stay in the pool for a while these will add it.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2010, 01:50:07 PM

The very small divisions could get a bit annoying though. Some people have asked if it's worth rounding to 0.01 so people don't have odd amounts stuck in their wallets. On the other hand if they stay in the pool for a while these will add it.

Personnaly, when I have annoying crumbs in my wallet, i just donate them to the faucet

6174Kauri

Activity: 17

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 06:34:33 PM

Hi,

1B8Dgkq4UtwVofQHN9TCay5ENfEz3k7Kbt: 0.09105306

that is me (MyBitcoin address).
I started somewhere within the mining and I stopped before the new block was created.

Now, that I've started the pooled mining client again (same bitcoin address), there's no payout. Why?

It's only 0.09 BTC (give it to the faucet, if possible), but think about someone is starting his pooled mining just after a new block is found and his machine or net access chrashes just before the next block is created. Will he lose his mined bitcoins? Who get's these?
BitLex

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 06:53:13 PM

I started somewhere within the mining and I stopped before the new block was created.
so you stopped before the block was found and you got your share anyway.
this also answers
his machine or net access chrashes just before the next block is created. Will he lose his mined bitcoins?
no, he won't lose anything, he'll get his share, as long as he's swimming in a contributed-pool, and not in a connected-pool.

you will receive the 0.09btc to your bitcoin-address in about 79blocks (as i type this),
noone can take it from you to give it to the faucet, you have todo it yourself.  Wink

6174Kauri

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 07:02:03 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2010, 09:45:07 PM by 6174Kauri

Hi BitLex,

you will receive the 0.09btc to your bitcoin-address in about 79blocks (as i type this),
thanks! I've read about the "120 blocks lagging" somewhere but I didn't remember.
Time takes it's toll on old men's brains.

noone can take it from you to give it to the faucet, you have todo it yourself.  Wink
This was meant in case of the bitcoins were lost.

I'll give it to the faucet anyway.
BitLex

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 07:16:59 PM

thanks! I've read about the "120 blocks lagging" somewhere but I didn't remember.
you're welcome.

to correct myself, it's not that you will receive,
you actually already received those bitcents to that address, it's already yours,
they are not "mature" yet though, you can't spend generated coins for 120 blocks after generation.
that's why they don't show up on your balance.

in a client-GUI you would see something like this "Generated (0.09 matures in 75 more blocks)"

Ricochet

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 09:53:59 PM

One of those addresses with 0 payout is mine.  I didn't realize I could run the client multiple times with the same receiving address, so I used a new address for about 10 minutes or so.  Then I shut down the client and restarted it with my main address so that all future contributions would go to that one.

On an unrelated note, is anyone else having an issue where new receiving addresses are randomly generated while away from the computer?  I'll come back after a day of work and find that the Bitcoin client has created 2-3 new addresses for me, with the client minimized and everything.  At this point I've got about 10 addresses with no labels.  I'm trying to determine if this is due to running Bitcoin and this pooled miner at the same time on the same machine or if something else is getting screwed up somewhere along the line.  It's almost as if someone is coming along during the day, opening up Bitcoin, clicking the "New..." button, and minimizing it again.
doublec (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 03:09:00 AM

I've updated to puddinpop's latest server code. There is also a new client. The new client displays the distribution method the server is using, can use multiple threads (no more needing to run multiple instances of the miner), and no longer dumps the 'best hash rate' to the console. There is also a new OpenCL remote miner:

http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/bitcoin-pool
inertia

Activity: 35

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2010, 05:23:21 AM

So if enough people switch to the new client, could that theoretically increase the capacity of the server due to fewer TCP connections?
6174Kauri

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 10:13:10 AM

Hi,

not that I'm missing my bitcents, but the pool-mined block 97017 is now (97333) 316 blocks away.
And yet I didn't receive any bitcents...

Neither on MyBitcoin, nor on my Bitcoin client.

What went wrong? My fault? The servers fault?
Anyone else has this problem?
doublec (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 10:29:59 AM

not that I'm missing my bitcents, but the pool-mined block 97017 is now (97333) 316 blocks away.
And yet I didn't receive any bitcents...

Neither on MyBitcoin, nor on my Bitcoin client.

What went wrong? My fault? The servers fault?
Anyone else has this problem?

When did you contribute? Did you stop at any time? For the first few days the server was running the connected method, not contributed due to bugs in the later as described here: http://pastecoin.com/download.php?file=70

Is the address you listed appearing in the block as shown in block explorer?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: