Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:25:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt.Gox and void trades: Force Majeure  (Read 20559 times)
dennis_sweden

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:58:28 PM

Bit_Happy

kokojie has contended elswhere that Tradehill runs on a dedicated server. I'm no computer whizz but it the link appears to confirm this.

kokojie

View Profile Personal Message (Online)

Re: Wild trading at tradehill
Today at 02:36:16 am
   Reply with quote  #41
Quote from: lardycake on June 20, 2011, 07:05:41 pm
Tradehill is run from a shared hosting account on hostgator.

Dedicated Hosting:
tradehill.com is hosted on a dedicated server.  Reverse IP look up says zero sites other than tradehill.com hosted at their IP address.

Code:
http://whois.domaintools.com/tradehill.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:18:30 PM

what about the double percentage charged on trades over the weekend?

will those be rolled back too?HuhHuhHuhHuh
Tasty Champa

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:39:57 PM

I'm going to ask this question until i get an answer.
If I don't get an answer, I'm going to ask again.
Then, if by chance I still don't receive an answer, I'm going to ask it again.

each time I get banned, I will ask more questions.

1 month from today,
if I still have not received an answer,
I'm going to answer each of them with a false answer.

Eventually I will populate google with many false answered questions about Mt. Gox.

So please just answer my question.
NO_SLAVE

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:42:38 PM

1 month from today,

Eventually I will populate google with many false answered questions about Mt. Gox.

Way to incriminate yourself.  Good show old chap.  Roll Eyes
Epinnoia

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:47:54 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 08:28:10 PM by Epinnoia

kokojie has contended elswhere that Tradehill runs on a dedicated server. I'm no computer whizz but it the link appears to confirm this.

Ran my own web-hosting company for six years.  I can tell you that multiple IP addresses can route to the same physical machine.  So the best such a reverse-IP lookup can do is tell you how many domains are on that one IP, not every IP assigned to the box.

In other words, a dedicated IP address is not the same as a dedicated server.  Many times, the box will only have a single IP -- but not always.

My first miner -> ATI 4550 (7.2 Mh/sec): 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cryptospeculators/
Tasty Champa

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:50:32 PM

1 month from today,

Way to incriminate yourself.  Good show old chap.  Roll Eyes

Don't roll your eyes at me.
I have the Force Majeure behind me. xD
stic.man

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:58:20 PM

wouldn't rolling back the trades also roll back the transaction fees or is that a separate process?
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:58:25 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 07:10:03 PM by Vladimir

MtGox.. you really need PR and a spokesman.

Dear Mtgox. please do get some help with PR, legal and security. You can (could) afford it. Do not be so damn greedy and spend some money on this now.

Do not try to do it all yourself. You are obviously not qualified in these 3 fields.

Constant lies and half truth's are very damaging from PR point of view.

Force majeure claim is naive to the extreme, how embarrassing.

The security field shortcomings are obvious. Do you realize that security is not a state, it is a process.

Get help, delegate things to pros, you cannot do it all yourself. It is a difficult step for a small biz operator but it has to be done.

More specifically, consider the following actions for your plunge protection team:

1. Get proper legal advise, get proper terms and conditions which you have user agree to at the sign up stage and than emailed to user as a pdf file. Some t&s on one of billion web sites somewhere on the net is not applicable and pretending that it is binding in any way is laughable.

2. Get yourself ISO 27001 certified. It will cost you but it is a great step from both PR and security point of view.

-
shamen

Activity: 52

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:06:46 PM

+1 to what vlad said
Tasty Champa

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:07:40 PM

wouldn't rolling back the trades also roll back the transaction fees or is that a separate process?

I can't verify if it was happening to everyone, but it was certainly happening to me.
my transaction fee was 1.3% over the entire weekend up until they were took down for being greedy.
AtlasONo

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:13:43 PM

Isn't Adam pretty much that.
chihlidog

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:16:45 PM

Dear Mtgox. please do get some help with PR, legal and security. You can (could) afford it. Do not be so damn greedy and spend some money on this now.

Do not try to do it all yourself. You are obviously not qualified in these 3 fields.

The security field shortcomings are obvious. Do you realize that security is not a state, it is a process.

Get help, delegate things to pros, you cannot do it all yourself. It is a difficult step for a small biz operator but it has to be done.

More specifically, consider the following actions for your plunge protection team:

1. Get proper legal advise, get proper terms and conditions which you have user agree to at the sign up stage and than emailed to user as a pdf file. Some t&s on one of billion web sites somewhere on the net is not applicable and pretending that it is binding in any way is laughable.

2. Get yourself ISO 27001 certified. It will cost you but it is a great step from both PR and security point of view.

This should have been done BEFORE the hack. With the money the site was making on trades, and the vulnerabilities pointed out by numerous people, this was a critical step that was skipped over due to greed.

Of course, MtGox will say it didnt matter, since they werent hacked, but instead leaked. Whichever the case, it's no secret I feel strongly that MtGox saw the potential to make real money, jumped in head first and decided to be greedy about it and not spend the money on what mattered. Anything he does now is, IMO, too little too late.
Tasty Champa

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:23:56 PM

This seems like the most adequate place to post this question.

what about the double percentage charged on trades over the entire operating weekend?
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:50:41 PM

You are responsible for the stability of the site.
We trusted you with our money.
You are deepening the insult of your incompetence covering lies with more lies.

Who is "we" and "our"?
It seems you don't even have a single bitcoin or even a single dollar invested in bitcoins.

You just signed up to the forums after the leak happened to troll for fun because you're unemployed.

Keep the good stuff coming. I'm sure there's more of it.
p.s. I "lost" thousands of bitcoins I bought for cheap and I don't blame Mark for reversing the market.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
finack

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:56:47 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 08:07:16 PM by finack

As others have said, Mt. Gox appears to be in serious need of PR and a spokesman. I'd add to that list real legal counsel and a few good nights sleep.

I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears, but Mark you're grinding your business away in your attempts to save it. You'd be much better off slowing down and dealing with this incident slowly and methodically instead of rushing to get back up and arguing with your customers on a message board.

Get a good night's sleep. Then spend some money. Hire a lawyer, a spokesman and an app sec consultant. Slow down and listen to what they say.

The first rule of being stuck in a hole is to stop digging.
unk

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:04:00 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2011, 04:18:07 AM by unk

i just wanted to lend my support to these three points that vladimir made. he has been consistently spot on regarding both security and the role of exchanges in the bitcoin economy.

particularly, mt. gox's claim of 'force majeure' is woefully misapplied here, in an almost offensively misleading way. from a youthful idealist in the forum, cutting his or her teeth on legal principles without any legal understanding, it would be embarrassing enough. from a multimillion-dollar currency exchange, it's very troubling.

i have nothing against you guys personally and have nothing to say specifically about the merits of lawsuits here, but the misinformation makes me want to remind customers that if you're planning to sue mt. gox, (1) don't take legal advice from them and (2) don't post personal information or anything about your case to the forum, as that is almost certain not to help you.

as for the rollback, if mt. gox is willing to listen to any advice from the forum, please seek legal counsel before committing to a course of action.
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 12:41:35 AM

As others have said, Mt. Gox appears to be in serious need of PR and a spokesman. I'd add to that list real legal counsel and a few good nights sleep.

I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears, but Mark you're grinding your business away in your attempts to save it. You'd be much better off slowing down and dealing with this incident slowly and methodically instead of rushing to get back up and arguing with your customers on a message board.

Get a good night's sleep. Then spend some money. Hire a lawyer, a spokesman and an app sec consultant. Slow down and listen to what they say.

The first rule of being stuck in a hole is to stop digging.

+50 XP
LEVEL UP!!!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
elggawf

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 04:14:54 AM

While Bit_Happy comes off as the most obvious MtGox shill I've ever seen, and I'd really like for you to be right, those reverse lookup things aren't always reliable.

You can typically get a dedicated IP on shared hosting accounts - this is getting harder without justification, but here's the kicker: https (as TradeHill uses) is instant justification. https does not play nice on shared IPs.

^_^
dinker

Activity: 103

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 04:19:10 AM

I'm going to ask this question until i get an answer.
If I don't get an answer, I'm going to ask again.
Then, if by chance I still don't receive an answer, I'm going to ask it again.

each time I get banned, I will ask more questions.

1 month from today,

bump for good question.

Help Me Help You Donations:
14kP6tNtrz3woESs9nEE5aDB81QTybGyyZ
unk

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 04:20:43 AM

You can typically get a dedicated IP on shared hosting accounts - this is getting harder without justification, but here's the kicker: https (as TradeHill uses) is instant justification. https does not play nice on shared IPs.

i know nothing about tradehill, but as a technical claim about https, this is entirely incorrect. the ssl certificates used by https authenticate a domain name; they are entirely independent of network-layer addresses.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: