Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:38:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Aug 1 summary  (Read 96452 times)
CONANEDO

Activity: 404
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 11:10:29 AM

instead create new ELECTRUM wallet,can i transfer my BTC To exchanger?so my computer will have no BTC(my BTC will be in exchanger),and then i install BCC wallet using the same computer to claim MY BCC,can i do this or not?please someone tell me,thank you very much.

can someone please answer my question?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
persty

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 11:13:50 AM

Sorry guys for noob questions. What will happen if I receive some BTC to the "old" wallet, which private keys was imported to new BCash wallet?
Presume I will get the same amount in BCH to the BCash wallet.
And the second question if the splitting BCH from BTC affects only coins I had before Aug 1, do someone aware of exact "milestone" time of the day?
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 11:32:23 AM

why is not safe to expose and import private keys of the current btc addresses to a bitcoin wallet and after that to create new addresses to the same wallet and in the future to use them and never use the old one again?

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
pedagang1

Activity: 264
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 11:37:14 AM

Thanks for information and helping guess from this post Smiley
jimmydvd

Activity: 490
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 11:59:30 AM

good news
Alexey555

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 12:02:04 PM

Good afternoon!
Sorry for the stupid questions, but finally got confused.
If I have Bitcoin Core on my PC and I install Bitcon ABC on the same PC in another folder with activation of my wallet.dat, will I get the same amount of BBC coin on this purse?
Example: we have 1 BTC, set Bitcon ABC gets 1 BCC? Do I lose my 1 BTC?
Next, I sell 1 BCC somewhere for 0.5 BTC, I transfer to the old Bitcoin Core and I get 1.5 BTC in TOTAL?
And how much time do I have for such actions, if they are true?
Sorry if I'm stupid. )))) I ask for clarification.
Cuteako

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 12:16:36 PM

Coinbase has handled hard forks before. With Ethereum, they chose not to offer long-term support ETC and let people withdraw them for a couple of months before dropping support.

In their FAQ they say they'll handle hard forks on a case-by-case basis. I see no reason to suspect that they'd completely fuck over every single one of their bitcoin customers by just throwing away or keeping their coins on the "losing" chain.

At this point, there's really no reason for them to make a decision or even pick a side. Deciding what to do now could backfire on them, so it makes sense to just wait to see what happens.
hajimasan

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 12:37:39 PM

where is the official btcc wallet so i can import my private keys and claim my free money?
Exactly i have the same question because i imported my private key by mistake in electron cash wallet ( which can scam me Sad ) .
So herr i am waiting , and also want to request the team that please provide the bcc WALLET as soon as possible because we can't wait more and also don't want to go in any third party wallet .
aesma

Activity: 2394
Merit: 918

fly or die

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 12:51:05 PM

Sorry guys for noob questions. What will happen if I receive some BTC to the "old" wallet, which private keys was imported to new BCash wallet?
And the second question if the splitting BCH from BTC affects only coins I had before Aug 1, do someone aware of exact "milestone" time of the day?

BTC and BCH are now two separate coins. You can't send both at the same time, it's not possible. If someone sends you BTC, you will only receive BTC.
Old_Timer

Activity: 131
Merit: 13

In the fray since 2013.

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 12:51:27 PM

where is the official btcc wallet so i can import my private keys and claim my free money?
Exactly i have the same question because i imported my private key by mistake in electron cash wallet ( which can scam me Sad ) .
So herr i am waiting , and also want to request the team that please provide the bcc WALLET as soon as possible because we can't wait more and also don't want to go in any third party wallet .

How exactly did electron scam you?
ervin-lemark

Activity: 38

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 01:06:31 PM

2. Create a totally new logical wallet with a new mnemonic, etc. Just creating new addresses is not sufficient: the new wallet needs to be completely separate from the old one. The new wallet's private keys should be under your personal control just in case your transaction is replayed or something else goes wrong. Make sure you have backups of the new wallet.
 3. Send all of the BTC in your old wallet to your new wallet, and wait until this transaction has 30 confirmations. (If you are really itching to get your BCH, it would not be totally crazy to wait for as few as 3 confirmations, but there is some risk with that.) Note that sending all of your BTC in a single transaction is likely to be harmful to your privacy; if you care about this, you might want to send it in several smaller transactions to several different addresses on the new wallet.
 4. On a separate computer that you wouldn't too much mind being compromised, install a BCash wallet such as one of the ones listed on bitcoincash.org. (Warning: some Bcash wallets are known to overwrite important files belonging to their Bitcoin counterparts.) Or use a Web-based exchange/wallet supporting Bcash. Import the private keys from your old, now-empty Bitcoin wallet into this Bcash wallet. Now you have BCH which you can handle as you wish. Note that BCH transactions may be very slow to confirm for a couple of days.

Thanks for the info. Questions:

1. If I import the private keys from my old, now-empty Bitcoin wallet into the new Bcash wallet, does this mean that the my new Bcash wallet will have the old BTC addresses, which are now empty?
2. If someone were to send me BTC to my old BTC address, I could still use my old wallet to retrieve those coins, right?

Yes on both questions. Your new BCH wallet will have the complete history prior to the hardfork.
ervin-lemark

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 01:09:18 PM

Is BCH and BCC are different coins? Can I split into both same priv key?

Yes and no Smiley

Many exchanges confusingly gave ticker BCC to Bitcoin Cash. It should be BCH!

BCC is already in use for Bitconnect Coin.

I suppose that the exchanges won't be changing the name of the ticker. They don't care about it.
ervin-lemark

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 01:11:59 PM
Last edit: August 03, 2017, 01:46:49 PM by ervin-lemark

Thanks for this short tutorial.

I did a split yesterday evening on my Electrum wallet / Electron Cash wallet setup on two different computers.

Read the whole story (stories) here:

Preparing My Local Electrum Wallet For Bitcoin Cash
Electron Cash Wallet Synchronised And I Have All My Bitcoin Cash (BCC) In It
Where To Sell Your Bitcoin Cash? If You Really Want To Sell ...

Good luck!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 01:16:49 PM

That is why I said that I though that the ledger and the trezor were perhaps good, but the trezor method had proven to be compromised - leaving only the ledger.

I had initially ordered a ledger but back ordered until September 4.  I then found another place that I could get the ledger by next week, so I ordered another one, and I should have if by early next week, hopefully.

Maybe there will be some other solutions that are established before next week.  It would be a good business for an exchange to offer such a service, and maybe charge a small coin splitting fee?  They probably would increase their customers
There is no reason to rush claiming anyways. A lot of the exchanges such as Bittrex don't have working deposits, and with the lack of methods for claiming/dumping, the price of BCH is artificially high. I'd rather wait another week or two than risk losing funds.

Bitcoin ABC I believe.

Many exchanges confusingly gave ticker BCC to Bitcoin Cash. It should be BCH!

BCC is already in use for Bitconnect Coin.
Correct. I do not understand why some people insist on BCC. It adds to the confusion as it is already taken. They should have gone with BCash - BCH.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
0034f706

Activity: 1

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 01:47:15 PM

Executive summary

Bitcoin is working fine and you can use it as you were before, possibly with slightly more reorg risk for a while.

The BIP91/BIP148 split didn't occur

As had been expected for the last week or so, the big potential split which caused all of the Aug 1 hubbub didn't happen, due to BIP91/BIP148 succeeding. There's a small chance that this split could still happen sometime between now and around Aug 10, but it looks very unlikely at this point.

Bcash split, creating an altcoin

If you had some number of BTC as of approximately 14:00 UTC, and if these bitcoins were secured by private keys controlled by you or in a Bcash-supporting online wallet, it is now possible for you to claim the same number of Bcash coins (BCH/BCC). Bcash is an altcoin based on Bitcoin; since it split, it is now 100% independent from Bitcoin other than the carried-over balances.

Bcash claims to have replay protection, but this is only a Bcash miner policy. Any Bcash miner could still replay transactions. Therefore, you can't safely rely on it.

Instructions for safely splitting your BCH from your BTC

Here are general split instructions. If your wallet software gives different instructions, use those instead.

These are the best instructions I could come up with quickly. Maybe someone will eventually come up with a more convenient way of doing it. Note that while I believe these instructions to be safe and reasonable, you are solely responsible for your safety here.

1. Decide whether you want to bother splitting your coins at all. Is it actually worthwhile to remove your coins from cold storage (or whatever)? If you take no particular action and continue using Bitcoin as normal, then your BCH is likely (but not guaranteed) to remain associated with the current private keys due to BCH's pseudo-replay-protection; you could therefore maybe claim your BCH later on if you want. If you want to claim your BCH now, continue to the next steps.
 2. Create a totally new logical wallet with a new mnemonic, etc. Just creating new addresses is not sufficient: the new wallet needs to be completely separate from the old one. The new wallet's private keys should be under your personal control just in case your transaction is replayed or something else goes wrong. Make sure you have backups of the new wallet.
 3. Send all of the BTC in your old wallet to your new wallet, and wait until this transaction has 30 confirmations. (If you are really itching to get your BCH, it would not be totally crazy to wait for as few as 3 confirmations, but there is some risk with that.) Note that sending all of your BTC in a single transaction is likely to be harmful to your privacy; if you care about this, you might want to send it in several smaller transactions to several different addresses on the new wallet.
 4. On a separate computer that you wouldn't too much mind being compromised, install a BCash wallet such as one of the ones listed on bitcoincash.org. (Warning: some Bcash wallets are known to overwrite important files belonging to their Bitcoin counterparts.) Or use a Web-based exchange/wallet supporting Bcash. Import the private keys from your old, now-empty Bitcoin wallet into this Bcash wallet. Now you have BCH which you can handle as you wish. Note that BCH transactions may be very slow to confirm for a couple of days.

Continuing risks

Although I am giving a general "all clear" at this point because the risk of serious issues has dropped substantially, some turbulence is still possible due to BIP91/BIP148 and the rollout of SegWit:

- If you are using a full-node wallet (eg. Bitcoin Core), you should require 30 confirmations for high-value, untrusted incoming transactions until SegWit locks in around Aug 10. Although seemingly quite unlikely at this point, it is possible that miners could fail to enforce BIP91/BIP148, which could cause very long reorgs (ie. confirmations could disappear, allowing double-spending). This seems unlikely enough that I probably wouldn't require extra confirmations for "normal" transactions, but if you absolutely cannot tolerate any particular transaction being reversed, then waiting for 30 confirmations would be most prudent.
 - If you are using a lightweight wallet, you should require 30 confirmations for all untrusted incoming transactions until SegWit locks in around Aug 10, and again for a couple of weeks after SegWit finally activates around Aug 24. Long reorgs or even persistent splits are possible if miners fail to properly enforce the rules of BIP91, BIP148, or SegWit, and lightweight wallets are particularly poor at handling such things because they will blindly accept invalid, probably-soon-to-be-orphaned blocks.
 - I don't recommend putting much BTC on hosted wallets / exchanges generally. Exactly how the above risks would be translated to these services will vary depending on how each service handles deposits, reorgs, and double-spends.
LongAndShort
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1050

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 01:48:25 PM

instead create new ELECTRUM wallet,can i transfer my BTC To exchanger?so my computer will have no BTC(my BTC will be in exchanger),and then i install BCC wallet using the same computer to claim MY BCC,can i do this or not?please someone tell me,thank you very much.

can someone please answer my question?

I dont think you understand whats happened. The btc chain forked and now there is two chains. 1: Bitcoin (original) 2: Bitcoin Cash (new Alt currency) If you had coins on 1: Bitcoin (original) first and had them through the fork then those coins will be on both chains concurrently
ZeroWithEverything

Activity: 3

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 01:56:43 PM

Noob here. Just a week into this, so pardon my hard ignorance. I'm learning as fast as I can.

I had half my coins on Poloniex (now I see what a mistake that was). If I withdraw, and then do the split using the guide here, will I get the BCH?
persty

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 02:29:10 PM

Let me picture this with timeline

case 1)

OLD WALLET BTC DEPO 1 BTC             AUG 1             BTC INCOME 0.1BTC               TRANSFER ALL TO NEW BTC WALLET           REDEEM BCH WITH OLD WALLET SEED
==========================^=============^=======================^===========================^===========

case 2)

OLD WALLET BTC DEPO 1 BTC       BTC INCOME 0.1BTC         AUG 1                         TRANSFER ALL TO NEW BTC WALLET           REDEEM BCH WITH OLD WALLET SEED
==========================^=============^=======================^===========================^===========

What will be the the result in each case?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 02:37:17 PM

case 1)

OLD WALLET BTC DEPO 1 BTC             AUG 1             BTC INCOME 0.1BTC               TRANSFER TO NEW BTC WALLET, REDEEM BCH WITH OLD WALLET SEED
==========================^=============^==========================^==============================
1.1 BTC & 1 BCH.

case 2)

OLD WALLET BTC DEPO 1 BTC       BTC INCOME 0.1BTC         AUG 1                         TRANSFER TO NEW BTC WALLET, REDEEM BCH WITH OLD WALLET SEED
==========================^=============^==========================^==============================

What will be the the result in each case?
1.1 BTC & 1.1 BCH.

Just use your brain. Think of the fork as a snapshot of existing balances at the time of the fork.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
persty

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 02:40:22 PM

Lauda, thank you! All is clear now. Just tried to double check my logic. )
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: