Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:04:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Aug 1 summary  (Read 96452 times)
KNK

Activity: 692
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 08:43:33 PM

you can NEVER be too paranoid with your private keys
Well partially true, but if it's enough/over your 'risk taking level' it's fine

Some 15 years ago, i've lost (then) very important information which i have 'resurrected' form my 6-th backup (floppy disks where at that time very insecure and failing all the time).
Now the risk is not that your floppy disk gets damaged, but your HDD/OS gets compromised - both risks and solutions have changed and they will in the future, but the 'right choice' is always the same - more backups than you can afford to loose / more protection than someone can afford to brake

Mega Crypto Polis - www.MegaCryptoPolis.com
BTC tips: 1KNK1akhpethhtcyhKTF2d3PWTQDUWUzHE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Old_Timer

Activity: 131
Merit: 13

In the fray since 2013.

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 08:56:50 PM

Hello everybody.

I have some BTC in a core Wallet and some in an Electrum wallet.

Step 1: Transfer all BTC to a third wallet. Never use previous 2 wallets again.

Step 2: Claim BCC.

Now the questions:

1. In order to avoid installing untested software couldn't I extract my private keys (from both wallets) and then import them on a single online wallet, like the one offered by BTC.com?

2. is it a problem if the wallet no3 (my new BTC wallet) had exchanges with previous 2 wallets

magicza

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 09:02:39 PM

I have kind of missed this split. Do I understand it right that I cant get BCC for bitcoins that I have on localbitcoins and paxful?
ABitBack

Activity: 524
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 09:22:45 PM

There is a lot of fear about importing private keys. And yes that is very risky but if you're sending all your coins to a new wallet then you have new private key. You're importing the old keys into the BCC wallet with 0 bitcoin on. When the fork took place, the bitcoin you had in that address/that old key, had bitcoin on and that is why the forked BCC will have the equivalent amount inside. But yes I wouldn't go downloading some random unproven software. It seems like you cant sell them now anyway. Looks like the exchanges are selling their own hoard while blocking deposits.

richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 09:47:03 PM

It seems like you cant sell them now anyway. Looks like the exchanges are selling their own hoard while blocking deposits.

In an industry that thrives on greed, these kind of practices shouldn't surprise anyone. However, at this point there aren't enough blocks coming through to safely allow user deposits. In this case we should grant exchanges some slack. By the time deposits are allowed, people will end up selling their BCC's at 0.05 BTC (if it doesn't turn out to tank even deeper).
flippener

Activity: 322
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2017, 09:50:01 PM

I have kind of missed this split. Do I understand it right that I cant get BCC for bitcoins that I have on localbitcoins and paxful?

I understand that's right, you need your BTC to have been in your own wallet (with private keys) at the time of the split.

..C..
........What is C?.........
...........ICO            Dec 1st – Dec 30th............
       ............Open            Dec 1st- Dec 30th............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

4hajs

Activity: 546
Merit: 105

Translation Service: English -> Polish

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2017, 09:59:01 PM

how about poloniex? did they steal bcc?

H O L D V E S T     ◥  Your universal gateway to the crypto markets
       Whitepaper     Facebook     Twitter       JOIN ICO > MAY 8th       Slack     Telegram     ANN Thread     
────────────────────────    T R Y   O U R   P L A T F O R M    ────────────────────────
nevamf

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Altcom Address: ATSUMz77ufJrBz7jJtYcESJQq5k5aZj9Xf

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 10:00:18 PM

Can we claim bcc now? because when i tried the procedure, my BCC keeps going back to zero balance, what am i doing wrong?bcc wallet keeps mirroring the transaction/transfer of btc to new wallet

Altcom Address: ATSUMz77ufJrBz7jJtYcESJQq5k5aZj9Xf
Moondreams

Activity: 347
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 10:04:47 PM

how about poloniex? did they steal bcc?
..Can you connect to poloniex?Are hours that I can not access
AmXProX

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 10:22:03 PM

Thanks for the update Theymos.

Betnomi300%█████████████████████   ████   ██
DEPOSIT
BONUS

████   ████
UP
TO
20%█████████████████████   ████   ██
WEEKLY
CASHBACK

████   ████
100%█████████████████████   ████   ██
RAKEBACK

████   ████
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
Play now!
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
kuyaJ

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 11:18:39 PM

That's nice so we dont need to scared about what's going on our bitcoin.  Finally, bitcoin in your wallet being secured but because of private key.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 11:35:31 PM

---snip---

1. If I import the private keys from my old, now-empty Bitcoin wallet into the new Bcash wallet, does this mean that the my new Bcash wallet will have the old BTC addresses, which are now empty?

They will be the same addresses. On the Bitcoin network and in a Bitcoin wallet, they will be empty. On the Bcash network and for Bcash wallets, they will still have the same balance that they had around 14:00 UTC.

2. If someone were to send me BTC to my old BTC address, I could still use my old wallet to retrieve those coins, right?

Yes, you should in that case open the wallet in Bitcoin wallet software again. A Bcash wallet won't see those transactions.

I recommend phasing out your old addresses, since I don't trust the security of Bcash wallets that you'll be giving your private keys to. If it would be difficult to phase out your old addresses, then I don't particularly recommend using this method of claiming your BCH. Other methods that don't involve giving your private keys to a Bcash wallet will become available in the coming weeks.

---snip---
I partially quoted theymos' post and have questions related to these two responses.
since they are going on their own chain,
does anyone know which web based blockchain explorer I can check for Bcash chain?

I am hoping the part where you saying
'Other methods that don't involve giving your private keys to a Bcash wallet will become available in the coming weeks.'
would soon come.
but is that even possible? or do you mean a way of making our own compatible raw signed trasaction for bcash
just like we used to be able to do the same for btc using brainwalet.github and pushing it to the network
I think if someone could write the code (js style like brainwalet) that would really help a lot of us
and of course we need a willing node to push the tx and bradcast it.

robertbruce

Activity: 61

AWorldWideWebOfReasons AWorldWideWebOfResults

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 12:59:58 AM

First learn how Bitcoin actually works.

In the thin client section 4 you mention importing your "private keys". If i only had one wallet and only intended to send it to one wallet would your "private keys" read just "private key" . I've only got one wallet and only intend to send it to one wallet (very small amount)
What is a wallet? A wallet is a collection of key pairs. If you have BTC on multiple addresses, then we are talking about multiple private keys. If all your Bitcoin are on a single address, then you only need the private key of that address.

i would really prefer to use core because i only have to trust core, im in the process of installing it...
You don't have to trust Bitcoin Core. You can review the whole code yourself, compile and build the wallet. Alternatively, you are not just "trusting" Core, but every single person that has ever reviewed that code.

Thanks! I appreciate your help!
You're welcome.

learn how bitcoin works, lol, I gota' learn how to ask a question first.... i missed a sentence or two and really should adopt "import" and "export" more, it would show my questions in a different light...you must sit there shakin' your head half the night lol....

A paper wallet is the same thing as a normal wallet, the idea is to generate it offline (computer not connected to the web, preferably using a bootable CD) and to only use the private key when you want to empty it. If you decide to import the private key instead of sweeping it, you can then use it as any other wallet. I didn't understand your quesiton about a broker though, do you have the private key of the current address where your BTC are ?

thanks again Lauda...just getting a handle on the terminology
Import - import into wallet software
Sweep - sweeps funds completely of wallet address

my broker question was an alternative to using bitcoin core ...ive got a lappy stripped and all set offline up to do my paper wallets - i've gone as far as removed the hdd and the modem & wifi chips... I didnt want to use that (paperwallet) lappy to run wallet software, i dont want to use my main machine to run wallet software and i don't have a third machine to set up to run wallet software, (only for the purpose of claiming the bcc) so i was considering using using a broker or blockchain info to sweep my btc's to a different address and then do the bcc import...

thinks will be clearer for me once i get core down, thanks again

A World Wide Web Of Reasons
A World Wide Web Of Results
|Admiral|

Activity: 448
Merit: 258

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 01:01:02 AM

I have some bitcoins over poloniex Embarrassed can i withdraw them to a wallet whose private key i am holding and then can i claim BCC?? Huh Huh
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 01:12:01 AM

No the coins need to have been either in an online wallet that had the facility to split the coins for you, or you needed to have them in a wallet where you controlled the private keys *before* the split happened. As the split blockchain will only recognise the wallets addresses and totals that existed when it split.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
vasrasus

Activity: 946
Merit: 500

Bcnex - The Ultimate Blockchain Trading Platform

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 01:34:00 AM

No the coins need to have been either in an online wallet that had the facility to split the coins for you, or you needed to have them in a wallet where you controlled the private keys *before* the split happened. As the split blockchain will only recognise the wallets addresses and totals that existed when it split.
But some wallets especially mobile apps specifically in android seems doesn't give the bch or there's some update needed.I have left some in my wallet but theres no update yet. Will read some updates regarding this since Im out this past few days here in forum.

▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
       ▄████████▀████████▄
    ▄█████████▀   ▀█████████▄
   ████   ▄█▀       ▀█▄   ████
  █████ ▄▀    ▄▄▄▄▄    ▀▄ █████
 ██████▀   ▄███▀▀▀███▄   ▀██████
▐████▀    ██▀       ▀██    ▀████▌
████     ▐██         ██▌     ████
▐████▄    ██▄       ▄██    ▄████▌
 ██████▄   ▀███▄▄▄███▀   ▄██████
  █████ ▀▄    ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄▀ █████
   ████   ▀█▄       ▄█▀   ████
    ▀█████████▄   ▄█████████▀
       ▀████████▄████████▀
           ▀▀▀█████▀▀▀
.Bcnex.The Ultimate   ───2 Millions Orders/s───
Blockchain Trading Platform
..Follow us:..

▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄██████
              ▄▄▄█████▀▀████▌
        ▄▄▄████████▀ ▄██████
  ▄▄▄██████████▀▀  ▄███████▌
▀███████████▀   ▄██████████
   ▀▀▀███▀    ▄███████████▌
        █▌  ██████████████
        ▐█ ██████████████▌
         █████▀ ▀████████
          ██▀      ▀████▌
                      ▀▀

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

||
LINKEDIN
MEDIUM
REDDIT

▸  BUY NOW  ◂   
pranaja

Activity: 91

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 01:47:13 AM

Hello father all mother ... i am still a beginner and just register at bitcointalk.org but i still do not know what next step i should do ?
ruthbabe

Activity: 966
Merit: 275

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 02:02:54 AM

Hello father all mother ... i am still a beginner and just register at bitcointalk.org but i still do not know what next step i should do ?

I think it's more appropriate and/or better for you if you visit the 'Beginners & Help Board' here>https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=39.0 where you can ask beginner questions as well as seek help from the Bitcoin community. Have a good day.  Wink

Kaller

Activity: 752
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 02:56:37 AM

Thank you very much for this post and information. I have been looking for an explanation how to get my Bitcoin Cash, and this does the job.

Too bad I am too late to withdraw from  my exchange, but hopefully they will allow trades with them soon.
BlockHazard

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:30:31 AM

Good explanation and thanks for the information. I'm very proud BTC still alive and make a solution. I hope BTC and BCH have a better way and change the world. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: