Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:29:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Aug 1 summary  (Read 96452 times)
rumex

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 03:15:22 PM

I was caught on the pumping of the BCC and went in only to see the coins going south since and i am now stucked in the trade can't get out because my portfolio is now depleted. Sitting here hoping it will move up north for me to recover just small part of my portfolio.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gabrics

Activity: 183
Merit: 112

Just digging around

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2017, 03:19:13 PM

You mentioned in the original post that: generate a new wallet in Core and send your BTC there first.
It is only required if HD key generation is enabled in Core right? Otherwise just generating a bunch of new addresses and send the BTC there and use the original (old addresses only) wallet on Bitcoin Cash network is enough.

Can you please confirm that I am right?

robertbruce

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

AWorldWideWebOfReasons AWorldWideWebOfResults

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 03:24:35 PM

Just installed Electron Cash in my notebook, transfered my BTC to a new wallet, send my old btc private key from an empty old btc wallet, BCC funds OK, nice, right server sync OK, then I've made a transaction with enormous amount of fee to my Bittrex BCC online wallet:

Fee   0.00634838 BTC   2.54 USD

Unconfirmed transaction with more than an hour, LOL  Grin, I really don't care about rescuing these coins, it's more a test to see how the BCC/BCH network is going on and I can say it's slow as hell, trash.

BCH little bastard coin will probably die with this puny hashrate power, where are the miners to confirm transactions and secure the network? China only?

Crappy coin indeed.

You sound like you've made up your mind already so you definitely should sell as fast as you can. Bitcoin
Cash is only three days old, though, and seems to be doing pretty damned well IMO. It definitely has proven the Core/Blockstream narrative that a hard fork would cause mass disruption or the valuation to tank to be patently false.

so that's what you base your judgement on, Three Days? During those three days people really havn't been able to do anything to it, nor has it's market settled, nor are some of the exchanges acting honestly, nor people will have there BCH for months.
Im only 14 days into blockchain, but even I can tell your off...

As a new fork starting with the same full difficulty as the legacy chain, I think it's doing quite well to date. Am I deciding nothing bad can happen from now on based on three days history? Not at all. But I'm also not writing its obituary, especially considering it has experienced no real problems so far.

If I'm wrong, and you have specific incidents to demonstrate this, please educate me. I'm here to learn.

The Satoshi ideal surpasses people's faith in the establishment, that is really specific...

careful how you answer, you may expose yourself Cool

A World Wide Web Of Reasons
A World Wide Web Of Results
kirkey

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 03:28:08 PM

although lots of reports, news, updates and other resources coming anywhere regarding with this matter and issues, BTC users shouldn't be worried. Due to that, developers and authorities were working to avoid misleading facts and information to keep their BTC users and owners on their feet.
KNK

Activity: 692
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 04:01:05 PM

You're wrong. But we can't check since you don't give any real information.

My btc core wallet held 1.09 more btc than both the bitcoin and bitcoin cash blockchains showed. I sent all of them to the blockchain.info wallet successfully, so I know they were there. I don't have an explanation, assuming I'm telling the truth is there any?
Try to run both wallets with the 'rescan' option and your coins may reappear.
If that doesn't help compare the transaction to blickchain.info with the amounts (per address) present in your bcash wallet to locate the missing one - it may happen that it is a transaction after the split

Mega Crypto Polis - www.MegaCryptoPolis.com
BTC tips: 1KNK1akhpethhtcyhKTF2d3PWTQDUWUzHE
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2017, 05:12:46 PM

Which port is BCC network using by default (8333 being Bitcoin)?

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2017, 05:18:24 PM

I just want to get them on bittrex, I will wait for the pump to dump them.  Wink
I feel you. Their Electroncash wallet has issues with multisig as it has enabled some code that should not be enabled.

I didn't get any BCH from any websites where I had my Bitcoins.
No surprise. It was more likely that exchanges were going to credit the BCH than any online services, but then again, there was no guarantee and it always comes down to the individual exchange.

So I "intentionally" bought BCH at Bittrex to see and witness the ^power^ of this so-called Cash coin but guess I committed a mistake after buying it at such a high price of BTC0.21. Do you think it will prove disastrous for my capital or will get pumped back to those high levels of BTC0.48 or should I get out at some other levels? Any suggestions?
I don't see the price of BCH going anywhere but down anytime soon. Most of us have trouble with moving large multisig funds to dump it. If they had a working Electrum fork + Copay fork, the price would be sub $10.

I think that it uses the same port by default. I am not 100% sure.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
webmastax

Activity: 280
Merit: 108

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 05:23:30 PM

i read it somewhere that it is 50012

K O N I O S        |│        The World's Most Secure Cash & Crypto Platform
[   PRE-ICO  |  LIVE   ]      [ AIRDROP | LIVE ]      [    ICO  |  May 1st    ]
WHITEPAPER                       TWITTER                       TELEGRAM                       ANN THREAD
mmgen-py

Activity: 110
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2017, 05:23:54 PM

It's still using the same port, though they really should delegate a new one, as BTC clients and BCH clients really have no reason to talk to each other anymore.
mmgen-py

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2017, 05:28:20 PM

i read it somewhere that it is 50012

No, this is an Electron Cash port number. It has nothing to do with the BCH network.
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2017, 05:43:26 PM

It's still using the same port, though they really should delegate a new one, as BTC clients and BCH clients really have no reason to talk to each other anymore.

Then it's a bummer. I have 8333 port forwarded in the router to a Bitcoin fullnode machine, which means that running a BCC node on another machine on the same network is out of the question  Undecided

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
mmgen-py

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2017, 07:05:48 PM

Then it's a bummer. I have 8333 port forwarded in the router to a Bitcoin fullnode machine, which means that running a BCC node on another machine on the same network is out of the question  Undecided

I'm running an ABC node and a Core node on the same machine without any problem. There's no need to accept incoming connections on both nodes. Just use -listen=0 on one of them.
RoomBot
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1123

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 07:20:46 PM

Managed to get them on bittrex using the electron cash wallet, but I am short the 1.09 btc that I had in my btc core wallet well before 7/31. I have no idea how that could have happened, so much for crypto being mathematically sound. Something like this makes the whole scene suspect to me.

Some, it seems, cannot be helped.

KUDOS to @Lauda, @Theymos and others here who keep trying anyway.
MiF

Activity: 1358
Merit: 258

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 07:28:07 PM

Executive summary

Bitcoin is working fine and you can use it as you were before, possibly with slightly more reorg risk for a while.

The BIP91/BIP148 split didn't occur

As had been expected for the last week or so, the big potential split which caused all of the Aug 1 hubbub didn't happen, due to BIP91/BIP148 succeeding. There's a small chance that this split could still happen sometime between now and around Aug 10, but it looks very unlikely at this point.

Bcash split, creating an altcoin

If you had some number of BTC as of approximately 14:00 UTC, and if these bitcoins were secured by private keys controlled by you or in a Bcash-supporting online wallet, it is now possible for you to claim the same number of Bcash coins (BCH/BCC). Bcash is an altcoin based on Bitcoin; since it split, it is now 100% independent from Bitcoin other than the carried-over balances.

Bcash claims to have replay protection, but this is only a Bcash miner policy. Any Bcash miner could still replay transactions. Therefore, you can't safely rely on it.

Instructions for safely splitting your BCH from your BTC

Here are general split instructions. If your wallet software gives different instructions, use those instead.

These are the best instructions I could come up with quickly. Maybe someone will eventually come up with a more convenient way of doing it. Note that while I believe these instructions to be safe and reasonable, you are solely responsible for your safety here.

1. Decide whether you want to bother splitting your coins at all. Is it actually worthwhile to remove your coins from cold storage (or whatever)? If you take no particular action and continue using Bitcoin as normal, then your BCH is likely (but not guaranteed) to remain associated with the current private keys due to BCH's pseudo-replay-protection; you could therefore maybe claim your BCH later on if you want. If you want to claim your BCH now, continue to the next steps.
 2. Create a totally new logical wallet with a new mnemonic, etc. Just creating new addresses is not sufficient: the new wallet needs to be completely separate from the old one. The new wallet's private keys should be under your personal control just in case your transaction is replayed or something else goes wrong. Make sure you have backups of the new wallet.
 3. Send all of the BTC in your old wallet to your new wallet, and wait until this transaction has 30 confirmations. (If you are really itching to get your BCH, it would not be totally crazy to wait for as few as 3 confirmations, but there is some risk with that.) Note that sending all of your BTC in a single transaction is likely to be harmful to your privacy; if you care about this, you might want to send it in several smaller transactions to several different addresses on the new wallet.
 4. On a separate computer that you wouldn't too much mind being compromised, install a BCash wallet such as one of the ones listed on bitcoincash.org. (Warning: some Bcash wallets are known to overwrite important files belonging to their Bitcoin counterparts.) Or use a Web-based exchange/wallet supporting Bcash. Import the private keys from your old, now-empty Bitcoin wallet into this Bcash wallet. Now you have BCH which you can handle as you wish. Note that BCH transactions may be very slow to confirm for a couple of days.

Continuing risks

Although I am giving a general "all clear" at this point because the risk of serious issues has dropped substantially, some turbulence is still possible due to BIP91/BIP148 and the rollout of SegWit:

- If you are using a full-node wallet (eg. Bitcoin Core), you should require 30 confirmations for high-value, untrusted incoming transactions until SegWit locks in around Aug 10. Although seemingly quite unlikely at this point, it is possible that miners could fail to enforce BIP91/BIP148, which could cause very long reorgs (ie. confirmations could disappear, allowing double-spending). This seems unlikely enough that I probably wouldn't require extra confirmations for "normal" transactions, but if you absolutely cannot tolerate any particular transaction being reversed, then waiting for 30 confirmations would be most prudent.
 - If you are using a lightweight wallet, you should require 30 confirmations for all untrusted incoming transactions until SegWit locks in around Aug 10, and again for a couple of weeks after SegWit finally activates around Aug 24. Long reorgs or even persistent splits are possible if miners fail to properly enforce the rules of BIP91, BIP148, or SegWit, and lightweight wallets are particularly poor at handling such things because they will blindly accept invalid, probably-soon-to-be-orphaned blocks.
 - I don't recommend putting much BTC on hosted wallets / exchanges generally. Exactly how the above risks would be translated to these services will vary depending on how each service handles deposits, reorgs, and double-spends.
Thanks this really helps a lot I think I would just keep my BCH for the next few weeks.
Appreciate it thank's for informing us.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

aesma

Activity: 2394
Merit: 918

fly or die

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 07:29:52 PM

Hey, have a question before claiming BCH.

I have BTC in Electrum wallet, but the BTC are spread on different addresses in this wallet. Do I need to consolidate them into one address in this wallet before starting the transfer process?

And can someone please explain the function of sweep? Is my question above about sweep?

The transfer process would be as several people have mentioned:
1. Create a new wallet with new seed
2. Send all BTC to this new wallet
3. Install ElectronCash on different machine
4. Claim with original wallet seed

The seed and the private keys kind of confuse me?  Shouldn't I be ok, only with the seed, when doing step 4?

Thanks a million Smiley

Consolidating your BTC won't serve any purpose. Send everything (you can do it in one go) to a new BTC address, created using a new wallet (for example Electrum on another computer, or an offline paper wallet).

Then install ElectronCash and do the same operation with BCC.

Managed to get them on bittrex using the electron cash wallet, but I am short the 1.09 btc that I had in my btc core wallet well before 7/31. I have no idea how that could have happened, so much for crypto being mathematically sound. Something like this makes the whole scene suspect to me.

My btc core wallet held 1.09 more btc than both the bitcoin and bitcoin cash blockchains showed. I sent all of them to the blockchain.info wallet successfully, so I know they were there. I don't have an explanation, assuming I'm telling the truth is there any?

Yes there is one, but if you don't give us txid, addresses, or anything, we can't tell.
RoomBot
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1123

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 07:34:45 PM

Because the instructions are a pain in the fucking ass. I wish I had just sent all my btc to bittrex prior to the 1st, but I listened to all the stupid bs about making sure your btc wasn't on any exchange.

Keeping coins on exchange is a risk that gives you rewards.

Risks: exchange gets hacked, exit scam, loss of funds due to network disruptions from problematic forks, etc. etc.

Reward: being able to trade without delays, access to limited markets.

The decision is always yours, if you are unsatisfied with advises from other people, than do your own research.

Well said!  I find that, for my N00b friends, buying, selling & trading on an exchange is the simplest way to go, by far.  Learning curve is 1/10 what it is in the Wild West.
I have many friends who are interested in BTC but have 0 techie aptitude. Exchanges are the way on on-board these peeps & BTC merchants.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16634

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2017, 07:38:42 PM

there are way to dump the privatekey in prune mode?
Yes. Dumpprivkey "address" works the same. You're probably confused with importing: that can't recover your balance in prune mode.

What will happen if I receive some BTC to the "old" wallet, which private keys was imported to new BCash wallet?
Nothing should happen, but you can't know for sure if your private keys have been compromised by an untrusted wallet.

Your wallet might need a rescan. Check your addresses on a block explorer, does it show a different balance than your Bitcoin Core showed?

You mentioned in the original post that: generate a new wallet in Core and send your BTC there first.
It is only required if HD key generation is enabled in Core right?
I've never found a clear answer to this. As far as I know 1 compromised private key from a HD-wallet doesn't mean the entire wallet is compromised, as long as your seed is safe. But I'm no expert on this, so I would like to see this confirmed.

aesma

Activity: 2394
Merit: 918

fly or die

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 07:53:38 PM

Because the instructions are a pain in the fucking ass. I wish I had just sent all my btc to bittrex prior to the 1st, but I listened to all the stupid bs about making sure your btc wasn't on any exchange.

Keeping coins on exchange is a risk that gives you rewards.

Risks: exchange gets hacked, exit scam, loss of funds due to network disruptions from problematic forks, etc. etc.

Reward: being able to trade without delays, access to limited markets.

The decision is always yours, if you are unsatisfied with advises from other people, than do your own research.

Well said!  I find that, for my N00b friends, buying, selling & trading on an exchange is the simplest way to go, by far.  Learning curve is 1/10 what it is in the Wild West.
I have many friends who are interested in BTC but have 0 techie aptitude. Exchanges are the way on on-board these peeps & BTC merchants.

If they're doing this with pocket money why not. The problem is people putting real money into crypto without any understanding of what they are.

And not realizing that any crypto related service can disappear from one day to the next due to various reasons, something that wouldn't happen with stock trading or forex trading.
cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 08:10:40 PM

I don't see the price of BCH going anywhere but down anytime soon. Most of us have trouble with moving large multisig funds to dump it. If they had a working Electrum fork + Copay fork, the price would be sub $10.

100% agree with this rofl. There are so many bugs and that's the only reason why there aren't as many people selling as there should be. I want to sell mine but I can't be bothered to move my bitcoins, then import a private key into some wallet (who knows which one is a scam at this point) then finally send them to an exchange and get some bitcoins out of it! Hopefully I get it done before they're worth $0 but even if they are, no loss here. My bitcoins are doing amazing and will only do better now.
lindraks

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 08:29:06 PM

about multisig did you suceed ?

I can see my BCH with public keys but I can't find my wallet with my private. In fact electron gave me a public key to share when I enter the private and its not the same as the true public key it should be.

Anyone can help please ?

Thanks !
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: