Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:27:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN]Arweave (Techstars 2018): A new internet in a very scalable blockchain  (Read 11942 times)
Archain.org (OP)

Activity: 89
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2017, 09:34:42 PM

Quick update: All pre-sale backers (new and old) will now receive a 25% ARC bonus with their pre-order!

Thanks,
Team Archain

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jayoba

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 12:16:50 PM

This looks like a great project!

Just a quick question, how much will it cost to archive a typical webpage?

Thanks!
mgao6767

Activity: 37

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 03:48:16 PM

Invested and started adding pages to queue...

Very easily added 20+ pages... feel like a hero. Would be great if you could make it automatic so I don't have to click it every time loading a new page.

Cheers!
Archain.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2017, 12:53:09 PM

Hi both,

@Jayoba: We have attempted to engineer it such that archiving one web page costs about 1 ARC, but this rate will ultimately be determined by the market of miners, so we will have to see.

@mgao6767: Fantastic! It is very exciting to see people starting to queue pages for entry into the archive. As we see it, collecting of the first entries for our shared digital library does make you a hero, but perhaps we are biased Cheesy! We will be adding a variety of different methods for submitting entries to the archive as the web extension develops.

Thanks,
Team Archain

gerad09

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 08:17:15 PM

How much will cost 1 coin ? Will it get listed to exchange after end of ico?

___ dock.io _______Decentralized professional data exchange powered by Ethereum_______
WHITEPAPER          FACEBOOK     TWITTER     TELEGRAM          ANN THREAD
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Archain.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2017, 11:48:21 AM

Hi Gerad09,

A single ARC currently costs £0.09. The tokens will be listed on a number of exchanges after the network has launched.

Thanks!
Team Archain

mgao6767

Activity: 37

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 04:44:29 AM

A quick question. Does achieving a web cost ARC for the person submitting the achieving request?
Archain.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2017, 01:53:11 PM

Hi both,

@mgao6767: Yes, the archiver pays the miners for their work and storage. One of the things we are most excited about, however, is the potential for people to create special interest archiving 'groups'. These groups would all contribute a small amount of ARC and run an ADT node in the Archain network that automatically archives webpages relating to a given topic. Because of the flexibility of Archain ADT nodes, they could even take manual submissions on a web frontend, check whether the contents are related to the interests of the 'team', and archive it if appropriate.

In this way, groups that are interested in funding the archiving of information about a topic they think is important could be linked with people that want to archive certain web pages for free. The key to these archiving groups, however, is flexibility: The Archain ADT allows their nodes (which decide what the group should archive) can be programmed simply and completely arbitrarily.

@willdono: Glad you like the sound of PoA mining! We hope you will consider joining the network when the time comes.

Thanks,
Archain Team

eXpl0sive

Activity: 574
Merit: 502

waiting to explode

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 06:04:00 AM

OK, so been through this thread and also the whitepaper. Had few questions that seem to be addressed in this thread (like total supply of ARC etc). Sttill have few questions/assumptions, please let me know if those are correct:

- I understand that someone who has a wallet and submits a archive request does not need to store the weave. Only the ledger which grows about 13MB per year. Is that correct?

- Actual archive data is stored in the weave which has no size limit but due to the decentralised nature the miners need not store the entire weave themselves, rather 'some' blocks from the weave. The more 'rare' blocks they store, the more incentive they have. Is that correct?

- The 'text' portion of the webpage is entirely stored in weave while media (documents, images, videos) are hashed in weave and the original media remains offchain. As long as the original media is available on local storage, it can be accessed via weave. (However the question is: does the media need to remain available in that particular machine from where it was archived or it can be replicated to other miner machines to make it easier to preserve?)

- The weave works like a P2P system where nobody has a complete copy of the entire weave but everyone has access to the whole data collectively. In that case is there any chance that some part of the weave becomes inaccessible if those blocks are destroyed or go offline for unknown duration (just like P2P peers getting stuck at 98% because there are no seeds)?

The way I see it in a nutshell, Archain is the decentralised version of Archive.org Wayback Machine, with better accessibility.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
stupid_seb

Activity: 336
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 09:56:46 AM

Love the idea.
Happy to help for the FR translation.
Lmk
Archain.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2017, 01:47:50 PM

Hi both,

@stupid_seb: Glad you are interested in the project! We will be in touch regarding French translation.

@eXpl0sive: Your comments are pretty much spot on. Thanks for taking the time to read in depth about the project! We know there is quite a lot of detail to get through. I will address each of your points in turn.

I understand that someone who has a wallet and submits a archive request does not need to store the weave. Only the ledger which grows about 13MB per year. Is that correct?

Yes. All a 'full' client or miner needs to do to join the network is download the last sync block, and the TX stubs from that block to the present block (the sync block 'period' will change over time, but the total download required will stay comparatively minute).

Actual archive data is stored in the weave which has no size limit but due to the decentralised nature the miners need not store the entire weave themselves, rather 'some' blocks from the weave. The more 'rare' blocks they store, the more incentive they have. Is that correct?

Yes. The only clarification I would make is that the more blocks a miner has, the more likely they are to be able to mine the next block. However, not all blocks will be equally stored in the network, so miners are incentivised to store blocks that few other miners are storing (as this lets them compete in the PoW part of the PoA system among a smaller group of miners).

The 'text' portion of the webpage is entirely stored in weave while media (documents, images, videos) are hashed in weave and the original media remains offchain. As long as the original media is available on local storage, it can be accessed via weave. (However the question is: does the media need to remain available in that particular machine from where it was archived or it can be replicated to other miner machines to make it easier to preserve?)

The media can be included on the weave, but owing to the price, we don't expect people to do this often. The files associated with the hashes can be stored anywhere, and 're-united' with the data on the weave later. We anticipate that if the Archain is successful, 10 - 20 years from now sites will pop up where people can offer rewards for the original media that matches a hash stored on the weave, allowing them to completely re-construct pages they find particularly important.

The weave works like a P2P system where nobody has a complete copy of the entire weave but everyone has access to the whole data collectively. In that case is there any chance that some part of the weave becomes inaccessible if those blocks are destroyed or go offline for unknown duration (just like P2P peers getting stuck at 98% because there are no seeds)?

It is possible, but the incentive for someone to find a block that appears 'lost' becomes extraordinary. It would grant the holder the soul ability to mine a new block that requires that old block, guaranteeing the associated rewards. Then, once the new block is found, in order to be accepted and verified by the network the miner needs to distribute the recall block as well as the new block. As the recall block is 'rare', many of these miners will store copies of it. Subsequently, over time, these storage imbalances will 'level out'.

The way I see it in a nutshell, Archain is the decentralised version of Archive.org Wayback Machine, with better accessibility.

This certainly covers a good part of the project's functionality. I would add that it also does decentralised verification of the content prior to archiving (unlike archive.org), as well as arbitrary permanent data storage for a fee ('Permanence as a Service').

Thanks again for your attention to the Archain project! I hope this helped clarify some aspects of the project. Let us know if you have any other thoughts/comments/questions/ideas!

Thanks,
Archain Team

eXpl0sive

Activity: 574
Merit: 502

waiting to explode

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 06:49:55 PM

^ ^ ^ Thanks Archain team for answering my questions, they are spot on. I really look forward to success of the project. I am going to be participating in the token pre sale.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Archain.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2017, 07:58:54 PM

Hi eXpl0sive,

Fantastic! Glad you are excited about the project. We are always available on Slack (http://archain.slack.com) or here if you would like to talk further.

All the best,
Team Archain

stupid_seb

Activity: 336
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:15:10 PM

Is there a LinkedIn bounty ?
I have most of my followers there... professional people, real opinion leaders.
Archain.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2017, 03:51:13 PM

Hi stupid_seb,

We do not have a LinkedIn bounty campaign explicitly, but we are always open to customised bounties. PM us your proposal and we will set up something appropriate.

Thanks!
Team Archain

c0inman

Activity: 1

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 10:35:37 PM

Hi, I've thought about creating an archive coin like that before finding your project. Good to know someone is already working on it, we really need something like this with all the ever increasing censorship of oppressive countries and laws like 'the right to be forgotten'. Congratulations on the initiative!

Since the sites will be partially stored and in a decentralized way, how do you plan to avoid bottlenecks in the future? I believe it's important to also reward miners that have high-bandwith connections, otherwise you may end up with Freenet-like connection speeds (I've tried it many years ago and it was very very slow, may have improved since then).

Also. if you need help with the Brazilian translation, please let me know.
Archain.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2017, 11:09:55 PM

Hi c0inman,

Glad to hear you like the project! We too think it comes at the right time (if anything, it might be a little late).

Timely block/TX distribution is definitely something we are thinking about. We have some ideas for optimisations that will likely end up in our second paper (which is in the works) -- stay tuned!

Thanks,
Team Archain

NewbCoins

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 05:52:19 AM

Devs, what is pre-sale goal? how much devs raise so far?

When will there be the ico? if we contribute on pre-sale, when do investor get the tokens? thanks.
Archain.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2017, 01:26:38 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2017, 03:48:50 PM by Archain.org

Devs, what is pre-sale goal? how much devs raise so far?

When will there be the ico? if we contribute on pre-sale, when do investor get the tokens? thanks.

Hey Newbcoins,

So far we've planned to distribute 1,116,292 ARC (As of 14:24 BST - 02/09/17) and an estimated 50,000 ARC through the bounty campaign (This is likely to increase expoentially with the increased popularity of the campaign).

Buyers receive their wallet details immediately after purchasing, and will be able to use them with the Archain client once the network launches.

If you have any questions, let us know.

Thanks,

Dan
Archain COO

EDIT: Clarified when buyers get their ARC wallets.

shaggy404

Activity: 243

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 03:35:03 PM

So a little more than 1.1 mil tokens sold so far. I was going through your site and looks like 50 mil is the goal? What happens to the project if it falls short of the pre-sale target? Because looking at current scenario 50 mil is a long way.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: