Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:12:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple trying to take over the Bitcoin Discussion thread  (Read 3845 times)
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:13:12 PM

There's a tendency for every Ripple related thread to turn into discussions about Ripple. It's certainly not very productive.

If people are learning, then why is it not productive?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nameface

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 08:22:00 AM

There's a tendency for every Ripple related thread to turn into discussions about Ripple. It's certainly not very productive.

He thinks Ripple is a scam and therefore the discussions are unproductive. A lot people throw around a lot of opinions instead of learning facts, observing what's happening in the world, and discussing ideas. I don't know where people get so many opinions frankly.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 08:38:30 AM

He thinks Ripple is a scam and therefore the discussions are unproductive. A lot people throw around a lot of opinions instead of learning facts, observing what's happening in the world, and discussing ideas. I don't know where people get so many opinions frankly.
No, not that. The thing is there tends to be the exact same aspect/concept discussed across multiple threads.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 08:47:46 AM

He thinks Ripple is a scam

If Ripple guys are lying right from the beginning just to get people in the game (and profit from them), then i would say it is the definition of scam.

bitcoinbear

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:59:06 PM

Even cash is debt; that's why they are Federal Reserve Notes, representing an IOU from the government to you.

And Bitcoin, big surprise is pegged to them. It's a closed system folks.

Could you go into more detail on how bitcoins are pegged to USD? I look at bitcoincharts.com and I see that the exchange rate between the two floats around with great volatility, just about as far from pegged as one can be!

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
ihsotas

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:07:32 PM

Even cash is debt; that's why they are Federal Reserve Notes, representing an IOU from the government to you.

Could you go into more detail on how bitcoins are pegged to USD? I look at bitcoincharts.com and I see that the exchange rate between the two floats around with great volatility, just about as far from pegged as one can be!

I would be very surprised if he knew what a 'currency peg', or a 'closed financial system' was.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:28:42 PM

As of today it is closed source and centralized.

Thanks for stating the obvious. Was this ever in dispute?
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:35:42 PM

The thing is there tends to be the exact same aspect/concept discussed across multiple threads.

I agree fully. The aspects that get repeated are :

"Ripple is a scam"
"Ripple supporters are shills"
"Ripple posters are paid by OpenCoin"
"Ripple is closed source"
"Ripple is centralized"
"Ripple can't possibly work"

Usually coming from TradeFortress. It got so bad I had to create a moderated thread just to be able to have any kind of civil discourse.

Not content with posting the same accusations in multiple threads, TradeFortress pays newbies (see this thread) to use their signature as a back door so he can spread his tripe into as many pages of as many subforums as possible.

So yeah, anti-Ripple posts are definitely trying to take over the Bitcoin forum, thanks to TradeFortress.
nameface

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:50:30 PM

No, not that. The thing is there tends to be the exact same aspect/concept discussed across multiple threads.
Yeah, good point.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 03:09:35 PM

I would be very surprised if he knew what a 'currency peg', or a 'closed financial system' was.

Ok lets pretend...
I have no idea, you explain it.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 04:06:04 PM

In my opinion, Ripple has too much centralization and power given to the creators. It also isn't transparent and open source so that limits the trust as well.

Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 07:17:04 PM

Ok lets pretend...
I have no idea, you explain it.

Ok, this is going a bit off-topic...

A currency peg is when the currency issuer sets a certain amount of some commodity or other currency for which the issued currency can be traded, usually by making a law concurrent to issuing the currency. So if your currency is pegged to gold, there is a certain amount of gold for which you will redeem units of your currency. Or if your currency is pegged to another currency, there is a decreed exchange rate for which they can be traded.

Bitcoins are most certainly not pegged to anything.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: