Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:32:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Tangible Cryptography suspends Bitcoin related transaction.  (Read 66744 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:51:28 PM

That is why we need collective action to begin bitcoin advocacy or to form a self regulating with Bitcoin and Financial industry professionals to interface with regulators and legislators to educate them about the benefits of the protocol.
Negotiating with gangsters has a long history of counterproductive results.

It's more productive in the long run to bypass and out-innovate the regulators instead of getting stuck in the tarpit of working with them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:14:34 PM

justusranvier

Unfortunately this is the regulatory landscape in which we find ourselves today.

And the business in the link you provided is, in my opinion, and according to my research and the attorneys, Money Transmitter Professionals and Anti-Money Laundering Compliance professionals I've spoken with is operating illegally and runs the risk not only of being shut down but also of criminal prosecution.

But then we are all free to make choices.

PS

You should read the story of E-Gold.  It is easy to make baseless claims and anonymously thump your chest at the government on an internet form and ignore regulation and your responsibilities as a money service business.  You should ask Douglas Jackson how that worked out for him.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/06/e-gold/
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:40:18 PM

And the business in the link you provided is, in my opinion, and according to my research and the attorneys, Money Transmitter Professionals and Anti-Money Laundering Compliance professionals I've spoken with is operating illegally and runs the risk not only of being shut down but also of criminal prosecution.
That's how we know they are doing something worthwhile.
Pale Phoenix

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 07:43:16 PM

I know nothing of that business other than what I've read in the referenced thread, but it appears to me that they are providing a listing and escrow service only and not handling or transferring any U.S. dollars. I've also researched this issue quite heavily and I don't see how that activity fits into any of the definitions of "money transmitter" enumerated in the FinCen guidance.

Would you mind sharing which part of the guidance / regulations you believe apply to this service?

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:16:53 PM

I know nothing of that business other than what I've read in the referenced thread, but it appears to me that they are providing a listing and escrow service only and not handling or transferring any U.S. dollars. I've also researched this issue quite heavily and I don't see how that activity fits into any of the definitions of "money transmitter" enumerated in the FinCen guidance.

Would you mind sharing which part of the guidance / regulations you believe apply to this service?

Sure.  But  maybe we should start another thread.  I think we've hijacked TC's enough.

Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:50:19 PM

Sure.  But  maybe we should start another thread.  I think we've hijacked TC's enough.
Ok but link it here please.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 09:52:11 PM

It took forever to dig up this post, and I was starting to wonder if I was misremembering having written it:

Future Bitcoin services need to be run as if they are illegal enterprises, like Silk Road, even if what they are doing is apparently legal.

Why:
  • Laws change.
  • Regulations are vague and open-ended, and it's probably impossible to operate a business without accidentally violating one.
  • Even if you do manage to operate without violating any rule law enforcement agencies do not always limit themselves to the letter of the law when deciding to begin an enforcement action.
  • Governments are not the only threats to a successful business. Non-governmental organized crime is almost equally capable of extortion.

The solution is to run all services in the darknet, not tied to any physical location or legal jurisdiction, and without any explicit connection to a real-life identity.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 10:03:55 PM

It took forever to dig up this post, and I was starting to wonder if I was misremembering having written it:

Future Bitcoin services need to be run as if they are illegal enterprises, like Silk Road, even if what they are doing is apparently legal.

Why:
  • Laws change.
  • Regulations are vague and open-ended, and it's probably impossible to operate a business without accidentally violating one.
  • Even if you do manage to operate without violating any rule law enforcement agencies do not always limit themselves to the letter of the law when deciding to begin an enforcement action.
  • Governments are not the only threats to a successful business. Non-governmental organized crime is almost equally capable of extortion.

The solution is to run all services in the darknet, not tied to any physical location or legal jurisdiction, and without any explicit connection to a real-life identity.

I don't mean to be a dick but good luck with that justusranvier.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 10:20:54 PM

Equally good luck running any bitcoin services in the lightnet. We can all see how little luck and sliding down slippery slopes to oblivion that system has, on a monthly, if not weekly basis.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 10:26:43 PM

Equally good luck running any bitcoin services in the lightnet. We can all see how little luck and sliding down slippery slopes to oblivion that system has, on a monthly, if not weekly basis.

There are plenty of successful businesses operating on the open side of the web.

That many users continue to tolerate failures like Mt.Gox is just a sign of how immature the market still is.  There will be many successful ventures that fully conform to regulation.  And any business restricting itself to operation on the darknet is limiting itself to an extremely small segment of the user base.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 10:28:25 PM

any business restricting itself to operation on the darknet is limiting itself to an extremely small segment of the user base.

That could also have been argued about Apple's iTunes store and look how that turned out.

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 10:50:12 PM

There are plenty of successful businesses operating on the open side of the web.

That many users continue to tolerate failures like Mt.Gox is just a sign of how immature the market still is.  There will be many successful ventures that fully conform to regulation.  And any business restricting itself to operation on the darknet is limiting itself to an extremely small segment of the user base.

I simply cannot see how it's possible to conform to 100% of regulations and laws in good faith (that means NEVER paying legal or illegal bribes). http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Day-Target-Innocent/dp/1594035229

If "successful" is defined as "merely hasn't been targeted by arbitrary, capricious, or malicious actors YET", then sure, there are "plenty of successful businesses". Such luck, or whatever you want to call it, is not equal to immunity.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 06:11:13 AM

That many users continue to tolerate failures like Mt.Gox is just a sign of how immature the market still is.  There will be many successful ventures that fully conform to regulation.  And any business restricting itself to operation on the darknet is limiting itself to an extremely small segment of the user base.

I simply cannot see how it's possible to conform to 100% of regulations and laws in good faith (that means NEVER paying legal or illegal bribes). http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Day-Target-Innocent/dp/1594035229

If "successful" is defined as "merely hasn't been targeted by arbitrary, capricious, or malicious actors YET", then sure, there are "plenty of successful businesses". Such luck, or whatever you want to call it, is not equal to immunity.

Immunity is gained by having the resources to lawyer up and fight.

Welcome to the American dream.

Or nightmare, if you beg, borrow, and steal to get a lawyer, and evil still wins, as it almost always does.

TangibleCryptography (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 01:41:04 PM

Of course just use first international darknet bank (with global ACH and wire service).  Why didn't I think of that?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:05:58 PM

Of course just use first international darknet bank (with global ACH and wire service).  Why didn't I think of that?

Do they have a black credit card like American Express does?

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 07:00:09 PM

Of course just use first international darknet bank (with global ACH and wire service).  Why didn't I think of that?

Obviously ACH and wire is lightnet exclusive, which is why you cannot use it at all without an iota of fear of being fucked, no matter how much you spend on "compliance" other than bribery.

justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 07:14:27 PM

Obviously ACH and wire is lightnet exclusive, which is why you cannot use it at all without an iota of fear of being fucked, no matter how much you spend on "compliance" other than bribery.
A company with a single business account is easily fucked with.

A swarm of part time hobby traders sending occasional wires and ACH is much less susceptible.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 08:26:00 PM

A company with a single business account is easily fucked with.

A swarm of part time hobby traders sending occasional wires and ACH is much less susceptible.

Less susceptible != without an iota of fear.

MSantori

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:16:18 PM

Love it.

Marco Santori is a lawyer, but not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.  If you do have specific questions, though, please don't hesitate to PM me.  We've learned this forum isn't 100% secure, so you might prefer to email me.  Maybe I can help!  Depending upon your jurisdiction, this post might be construed as attorney advertising, so: attorney advertising Smiley
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 10:01:47 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2013, 10:17:55 PM by TheButterZone

Can't seem to find that directory of lawyers who instantly bend all tyrants to the will of 100% of their innocent/pro-liberty clients, with force of will (no bribery or blackmail) alone.

Sick of the implication that one, or many lawyers collectively, are superhuman/godlike, can defeat tyranny in all circumstances. If that were true, tyranny wouldn't exist.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: