Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:17:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Open letter to Theymos regarding Butterfly Labs (BFL)  (Read 15261 times)
Frizz23 (OP)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 01:30:55 PM

No, they will not receive a scammer tag over the matter of their ASICs being late until several months go by with no progress. Stop asking.

No one asks to give BFL a Scammer tag for being late. Shits happens.

But that's not the point here. And you know that.

Constantly stringing people along with false promises - and blatant lies - is what qualifies for a Scammer tag. Shady business tactics is what qualifies for a Scammer tag.

Those 500 people that voted to give BFL a Scammer tag surely didn't do that solely based on the fact that BFL is late. And you know that.

Ignoring those people is a slap in the face of this community.

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 01:34:49 PM

There are a lot of shitty things floating around bitcoin, and bfl is one of them.
However, a scammer tag is inappropiate.

They are simply patological liers. As of now, they didn't stole anyone's money.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 01:39:29 PM

I for one completely think that BFL has produced chips, but instead of sending them to customers they are currently mining with them.  I made a post a couple days back about it noting that (and I know this sounds far fetched) but a friend of a friend got a tour of the place and swears that they are mining with customer purchased equipment.  So not only will you eventually receive your device, but it will be no longer useful since difficulty will have gone way up, and it will be used.

This is my personal opinion, note I do not have a pre order with them.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
ripple

Activity: 287
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 03:14:16 PM
Last edit: June 04, 2013, 03:38:11 PM by ripple

Why not call it what it is?  A "Potential Scam".

with optional Warning:

Suckers Investors should check deliveries at http://bfl.ptz.ro/ before ordering to establish what year their order may arrive.  

Oh the irony.

User RIPPLE wants to call something a "Potential Scam".

haha

+1 to OP.

smoothie, I'll change my name to Raspberry Ripple ... then we can make little smoothies together. Cheesy

kneemoe

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 05:26:31 PM

No, they will not receive a scammer tag over the matter of their ASICs being late until several months go by with no progress. Stop asking.

Just curious - what qualifies as 'several months' and when do you start that clock running (from)?
I've got no skin in this game, but it looks like they already qualify from reading  your terse response.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 06:06:12 PM

Just curious - what qualifies as 'several months' and when do you start that clock running (from)?
I've got no skin in this game, but it looks like they already qualify from reading  your terse response.
The clock starts from the last sign of forward progress from them.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 07:08:18 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2013, 04:09:07 AM by PuertoLibre

Whats interesting is that if I follow a parallel scenario to the BFL route, I could very well amass 300 BTC from buyers on BitCoinTalk.org

...Then do with as I please for many months (investing, gambling, whatever) and if I am lucky, when my customer(s) become irate. Return to them what they are due.

My benefits from doing this are that I borrowed 300 BTC from the community, made actual income money with it, but failed to live up to expectations for many months. (many months = more than 4)

I can still come out smelling absolutely clean in the eyes of the Mods and Admins by simply returning to the buyers what was theirs minus whatever that income generated or the promises I meant to keep....and I'll never get a SCAMMER Tag.

Why?

Because....that is okay. I got mine, my customers got theirs (minus my promises to keep) and I will never get a Scammer Tag. Why?

Because that is okay as a standard on BitCoinTalk. Am I right?
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 07:14:35 PM

Now I could redo my scenario to fit exactly the BFL scenario.

And if what Maged said is the unanimous consensus among administration. I could very well say I got the nod of "it is okay by us".

If not, then let us hear *any* dissenting opinion. If none dissent on that opinion, then I can very well assume there is a way around the scammer tag.

"Take funds as you will, promise everything under the stars but even if you deliver nothing of substance. Make absolutely sure to return what the buyer are owed. Everything is fine by us. Whatever you made from that funding is yours to keep."

Someone...please give dissent on this opinion or everyone silently agrees this is "okay".
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 07:25:39 PM

Wah wah waaaaaahhhhh.  Grin Grin Grin

Well, kids, I guess you're just gonna have to TROLL HARDER.  Cheesy

Good luck with your "formal legal complaint", xian, you silly cunt.

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 07:32:37 PM

Whats interesting is that if I follow a parallel scenario to the BFL route, I could very well amass 300 BTC from buyers on BitCoinTalk.org

...Then due with as I please for many months (investing, gambling, whatever) and if I am lucky, when my customer(s) become irate. Return to them what they are due.

My benefits from doing this are that I borrowed 300 BTC from the community, made actual income money with it, but failed to live up to expectations for many months. (many months = more than 4)

I can still come out smelling absolutely clean in the eyes of the Mods and Admins by simply returning to the buyers what was theirs minus whatever that income generated or the promises I meant to keep....and I'll never get a SCAMMER Tag.

Why?

Because....that is okay. I got mine, my customers got theirs (minus my promises to keep) and I will never get a Scammer Tag. Why?

Because that is okay as a standard on BitCoinTalk. Am I right?

You seem to think we're private detectives, or the cops. How are we supposed to know what they're doing? Open an investigation? Flash our moderator badge and hand over our BITCOINTALK.ORG warrant? If people feel comfortable leaving their money with them, that's fine and dandy by me, who the hell are we to stop them? People ask for refunds, they get them back. If they stop getting them back, or BFL disappears, then it's time for a scammer tag.

This is a forum, not a police station. Or a nursery for that matter.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Frizz23 (OP)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 08:07:58 PM

This is a forum, not a police station. Or a nursery for that matter.

A forum, yes. The biggest Bitcoin forum there is. And because of this we do have some sort of responsibility.

Bitcoin continuously takes hits because of scumbags. Giving a Scammer tag to scumbags shows the community: "It is not OK with us!".

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 09:25:44 PM

You seem to think we're private detectives, or the cops. How are we supposed to know what they're doing? Open an investigation? Flash our moderator badge and hand over our BITCOINTALK.ORG warrant? If people feel comfortable leaving their money with them, that's fine and dandy by me, who the hell are we to stop them?

This is part of the unspoken social contract I mistakenly assumed we had with forum administrators, with the hopes you were good shepherds of this community.

I see this is not the case.

Laissez-faire indeed.

Don't worry BadBear, I'm doing your work for you.

Stay tuned.

wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 09:43:44 PM

You seem to think we're private detectives, or the cops. How are we supposed to know what they're doing? Open an investigation? Flash our moderator badge and hand over our BITCOINTALK.ORG warrant? If people feel comfortable leaving their money with them, that's fine and dandy by me, who the hell are we to stop them?

This is part of the unspoken social contract I mistakenly assumed we had with forum administrators, with the hopes you were good shepherds of this community.

I see this is not the case.

Laissez-faire indeed.

Don't worry BadBear, I'm doing your work for you.

Stay tuned.

"Social Contract"? I guess I didn't see any social contract listed in the terms and conditions for the forum when I signed up. Mind pointing that out to me?

BFL are not "scammers" they're "disappointers". You were disappointed by them, and now you want the forum and its moderators to go forth and punish them on your behalf. They're not going to do it, so you're going to waste the time of the courts to try and force them to rinse the sand out of your vagina for you. You don't want moderators or rule of law, you want a wet nurse.

BFL has repeatedly missed target dates. OK, frustrating and disappointing. But if you don't like it, get a refund. It's not a "scam" if you're free to get your money back at any point. I hope the courts fine you for your epic levels of stupidity.

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 09:50:13 PM

No company deserves it more, especially that grimy weasel Inaba

Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 11:55:25 PM

Does selling raw chips and offering people to "upgrade" their fully functional miner orders to useless chips count as progress ?

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 02:00:32 AM

How about for failing to pay up on bets posted on this forum?

Buy & Hold
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 04:29:49 AM

So far, Bad Bear and Maged  (Global Moderators) are at the very least on the same page.

No discernible dissenting opinions that I can see. <Shrug>

It is, what it is.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 04:31:13 AM
Last edit: June 05, 2013, 04:52:17 AM by PuertoLibre

How about for failing to pay up on bets posted on this forum?
That is apparently also okay. You can get away with it, apparently.

If I am wrong about that, no doubt, Moderators or Admins will see to it that it is clearly stated as "not acceptable" in this thread.
ripple

Activity: 287
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:04:56 PM

Visitors to the Forum may be wondering if it possible that BFL is a Scam?

Here is the present delivery advice verbatim from Butterfly Labs (BFL) website, written in 100% English:

Q
Where am I in line and when will my order ship?
A
We currently do not have the ability to easily disclose the number of orders we currently have. Shipping of new units is expected to begin soon. It is unknown at this time when we will complete the shipping of our pre-orders. Even though we should start shipping soon, orders placed now will be shipped at a later time. Our orders date back to June, 2012. All of those orders and those placed since then will be shipped before new orders.

http://www.butterflylabs.com/faq/

Could anyone suggest BFL is a Scam when delivery advice to it's customers is this goddamned precise?

h4r13q1n

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:05:27 PM

Its not just that they are "a little" late. It's several months. Difficulty has more than doubled.
Also, the Products being offered for pre-order don't exist. There's no Japaleno and no Mini Rig,
none of the products have the specs advertised for pre-order. And then this whole mess with
delivery costs etc.

If you order a mercedes and you get a toyota then you have been scammed. Its pretty easy to understand,
even for the BFL fanboys.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: