Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:05:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: dumpprivkey scam / feature request  (Read 1096 times)
Chuck (OP)

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 07:44:17 AM

Here is someone trying to scam people by asking them to run dumpprivkey :

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=228772.msg2409058#msg2409058

A feature suggestion I have:

The first time you run dumpprivkey from the GUI, have it fail with a message "Do not share this key with anyone - they can take your bitcoins with this information. If you're Ok with this, type the command again". If someone really wants to use dumpprivkey, they can run the command a second time.

BTC: 1CKytBzLeA1QcFM33qgi9YWPq1ax3XEJ84
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:20:44 AM

Indeed, importprivkey and dumpprivkey should really be behind a child safety lock. Maybe the whole RPC console.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 11:26:04 AM

Indeed, importprivkey and dumpprivkey should really be behind a child safety lock. Maybe the whole RPC console.

I think the RPC console is already not so easy for non-techies to find (although I guess an *advanced* option could be used to hide/display the Debug Window menu item in the Help menu).

I do agree that the dumpprivkey suggestion is not a bad one (although if you displayed a similar warning when allowing the *advanced* option to even *get* to the Debug Window then you wouldn't need it just for that command).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:40:12 AM

I agree, but not with a popup and not if it make the first command fail: write whatever warning you want in the return we get from the command
Something like
#Warning: Do not share this key with anyone - they can take your bitcoins with this information.
5y1s5f4z3a2z1

I don't want to lose my time because of random people that use things they don't know how to use
It's like making cars to stop and to display a warning "You can't drive without a licence" each time you start them

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Hazard
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 01:55:33 PM

If it display the message alongside running the command, I think that would be good

runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 02:08:10 PM

Great idea.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 02:27:09 PM

I think the RPC console is already not so easy for non-techies to find (although I guess an *advanced* option could be used to hide/display the Debug Window menu item in the Help menu).
It doesn't really matter, because newbies can always be social engineered into unlocking it.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 07:43:52 AM

It doesn't really matter, because newbies can always be social engineered into unlocking it.

Probably correct although if a big "popup" did appear warning you that if you don't understand exactly what you are doing that you could well be being scammed might at least help (although I also agree it shouldn't be something that appears every time as that would be annoying for people that do know what they are doing).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: