Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:15:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 [271] 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 ... 361 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [OFFICIAL]Bitfinex.com first Bitcoin P2P lending platform for leverage trading  (Read 723558 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
dscotese

Activity: 444
Merit: 250

I prefer evolution to revolution.

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 07:38:19 PM

I have a strange error.

I sold on margin some 10 LTC on LTCBTC pair.
Then I sold 10 more.

But I am holding a long position on 20 on LTCBTC pair.

WTF?!?!

Did the buttons malfunction or something?
Is this error related to the one where you click sell, while "Market" is selected and your order gets placed as LIMIT instead?

Actually, I checked the history and it says "LTCBTC    -10.0    0.007852"
Is that a sell order? then why am I holding a long position?

I checked the last 12 days of offer history and yep... only negative numbers in LTCBTC, yet, I hold a positive position.

You little rascals!

The math says that you must have had 40 LTC to start with.  But I wouldn't doubt that the problem is with the display and that you started at zero and now have a short position.  They recently fixed a problem I mentioned with "available balance", so there might be some residual display errors.  Hopefully they aren't math errors!

I like to provide some work at no charge to prove my valueAvoid supporting terrorism!
Satoshi Nakamoto: "He ought to find it more profitable to play by the rules."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bagpipe

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 07:51:17 PM

Is it better to do Margin trading in fiat or btc? You can do both right?
If you hold 1 BTC, you can sell that one and another one, so you gain the difference of 1 BTC movement on the way down.
If you hold 1 BTC worth of USD, you can sell 3 BTC, so you gain 3x BTC movement on the way down.

Do not ask me why it is done this way on bitfinex. But you see how holding BTC in bear markets is a bad idea.
Bagpipe

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 07:54:26 PM

I have a strange error.

I sold on margin some 10 LTC on LTCBTC pair.
Then I sold 10 more.

But I am holding a long position on 20 on LTCBTC pair.

WTF?!?!

Did the buttons malfunction or something?
Is this error related to the one where you click sell, while "Market" is selected and your order gets placed as LIMIT instead?

Actually, I checked the history and it says "LTCBTC    -10.0    0.007852"
Is that a sell order? then why am I holding a long position?

I checked the last 12 days of offer history and yep... only negative numbers in LTCBTC, yet, I hold a positive position.

You little rascals!

The math says that you must have had 40 LTC to start with.  But I wouldn't doubt that the problem is with the display and that you started at zero and now have a short position.  They recently fixed a problem I mentioned with "available balance", so there might be some residual display errors.  Hopefully they aren't math errors!
Nope. I had 0 LTCUSD and saw it will be going down, so I went short. and I ended up with a long position, even if my history says -10 LTCBTC (and another -10 in smaller fractions). When I saw it yesterday when I sold, I just thought it was only a display thing. But today I sold 1 LTCBTC more and ended up with 19 LTCBTC.

So there... it explains a LOT about all the complaints people have been having about them.
Bagpipe

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 07:58:22 PM

How often does this error happen? How do you place a market order, is the only way to click sell, while "Market" is selected?
Almost anytime you return to the tab with bitfinex and click buy/sell when the "MARKET" was selected previously. Also: market orders use to throw up random message of "selling under/over ticker price, you you really want to do this?!" That one happens so often it makes my ulcers laugh at me!
Creaxy

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 10:51:35 PM

Hi

maybe stupid question, but I have entered BTC swap, offering BTC for 5 days. Can I somehow cancel this transaction?
on other exchanges it was possible

thanks
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 11:03:28 PM

Hi

maybe stupid question, but I have entered BTC swap, offering BTC for 5 days. Can I somehow cancel this transaction?
on other exchanges it was possible

thanks
As long as the offer was not taken, you can cancel it. If it is already taken, it will be used up to the 5 days you offered, as intended.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 06:08:52 PM
Last edit: February 17, 2015, 06:25:54 PM by adaseb

How does the maintenance margin work exactly? Its at 15%

If you use maximum leverage, your initial margin is 30% - out of your total position size, you pay for 30% yourself and take out swap to pay for the other 70%. The amount you owe to the swap provider remains fixed, so as the price goes against you and the total value of your position shrinks, the percentage of it that's marked as "owed" increases, and the amount that you own "yourself" shrinks. If that part shrank to 0% you'd have a position worth exactly what you owe and would absolutely have to be liquidated immediately to avoid loss. For safety, the margin call comes when 'your' portion is 15%

So if you started out with the price at $200, with $100/0.5BTC of your own, you'd be able to borrow and sell another 1.166BTC to get $233, bringing you up to a total of $333 of which you provided $100 (30%). You'll continue to owe your swap provider 1.166BTC, so your position remains open until the position as a whole is worth 1.372BTC - at that point you have 1.166 owed and 1.372-1.166 = ~0.2BTC owned, (and 0.2 is 15% of 1.372, or at least it is when you use the exact numbers rather than these rounded versions)

Since you have $333, the specific price point where that's worth 1.372BTC is $242/BTC, but the maximum distance from your starting price will vary - it'll be the same percentage difference each time, so long as you always use the same degree of leverage, and it'll be more "forgiving" (further away) if you use less leverage, since you then start out owning a larger percentage of your position, so it takes longer to shrink down to 15%

tl;dr: Your margin call comes when (Position value - Swap debt)/Position value ≤ 15%

Or to rearrange that a bit, when Position value = Swap debt/0.85 (since your swap debt is a fixed quantity you can calculate that one ahead of time and work out what pricepoint implies that position value)

Yes thanks for the explanation. I was used to margin and initial margin when it came to stocks but here its confusing because it BTC. Thanks for the formula it makes sense.

So if I start out with a price of $200. with $100/0.5BTC of my own and I only sell another 0.5BTC in swap. So my total sell order is 1.0BTC

I currently have 0.5BTC and I borrow another 0.5BTC. So my swap dept is =0.5BTC

Position Value = 0.5/0.85 = 0.588 BTC

So with a starting price of $200, the margin call would occur at $200 / 0.588 = $340 ?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
noggin-scratcher

Activity: 136

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 06:28:16 PM

If you hold 1 BTC, you can sell that one and another one, so you gain the difference of 1 BTC movement on the way down.
If you hold 1 BTC worth of USD, you can sell 3 BTC, so you gain 3x BTC movement on the way down.

Do not ask me why it is done this way on bitfinex. But you see how holding BTC in bear markets is a bad idea.

I thought they changed that a while ago, so that if you go short against a deposit of BTC or long against a deposit of USD you "borrow" (without any fees) from your own funds before you take any swap. I remember an announcement saying that they'd realised that the way it was set up you effectively got more leverage by holding your deposit in the same currency as you were borrowing, and that the change had evened it out so that it didn't matter which one you started out holding.

Bitfinex referral code: uOaxAuXdVX
Bagpipe

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 06:02:08 PM

I thought they changed that a while ago, so that if you go short against a deposit of BTC or long against a deposit of USD you "borrow" (without any fees) from your own funds before you take any swap. I remember an announcement saying that they'd realised that the way it was set up you effectively got more leverage by holding your deposit in the same currency as you were borrowing, and that the change had evened it out so that it didn't matter which one you started out holding.
This is the status after the change, or at least it worked that way a month ago? Maybe they corrected the errors, but I still have a long ltcbtc position after selling that pair, even if history shows a sell. Their platform is criminally insane... Cheesy
slacknation

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 05:09:02 AM

This is the status after the change, or at least it worked that way a month ago? Maybe they corrected the errors, but I still have a long ltcbtc position after selling that pair, even if history shows a sell. Their platform is criminally insane... Cheesy

if you could provide the relevant order history, we can figure out why you have a positive balance when you said you have sold the pair. I don't think there are these type of errors in the platform as you have claimed
camolist

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 05:36:05 AM

unless I am missing an option somewhere this is feature request:

so i put a "Receive swap" order in at say 1000 USD at "Flash Return Rate" for 30 days

i use it in a trade where i bought btc at 240 and sold at 245

I would prefer to have an option that the swap goes back into "unused swaps" instead of just closing it outright

i want to be able to guarantee 30 day rates for my loaned swaps but these 30 day loans are usually hard to obtain so having them close after every trade is a pain when i have to wait for someone new to accept my receive swap bid

qxzn

Activity: 609
Merit: 505

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 03:19:36 PM

Is this and other swap behavior subtlety documented somewhere?
Bagpipe

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 04:52:29 PM

if you could provide the relevant order history, we can figure out why you have a positive balance when you said you have sold the pair. I don't think there are these type of errors in the platform as you have claimed
Why should it be or any surprise when other people complain about magically disappearing orders and other things... I heard quite a lot of various complaints, so this one is a drop in the ocean that forces me to be deeply distrustful of that site. Also, the story is much the same os the one of the Gox. "We are upgrading."
Bagpipe

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 04:54:29 PM

I asked about their order filling policy and got none, I HAD PERSONALLY TO DEVISE that STOP orders get filled first, then your market order gets filled last. (cutting in the queue) I received no link or answer on the order matching, only a vague response of "an upgrade".
noggin-scratcher

Activity: 136

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 04:15:22 AM

https://www.bitfinex.com/pages/announcements -- Ctrl+F for "Leverage", should find it.

It's not exactly "documentation", but it is at least on record... in that one not-easily-found place.

Bitfinex referral code: uOaxAuXdVX
TheXpert

Activity: 161

BTC trader

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 05:36:07 PM

I have negative balance without any margin trading.
Has anyone seen something like this?

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 08:01:01 PM

It would have been nice to announce beforehand (or at least somewhere after the fact/at all) that you changed the date format in the CSV files... Angry

Ah well, it was only a minor change in the end (and is now anyways much better to parse) - still a heads-up would have been nice.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
TheXpert

Activity: 161

BTC trader

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 09:49:43 AM

How is that possible?
Anyone to explain?

unclescrooge (OP)
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 01:09:02 PM

How is that possible?
Anyone to explain?

Hello TheXpert,

I will write you a PM for more details on whats next, but for everyone here is what happened. We are currently testing a new trading engine on DRKUSD and DRKBTC pairs only. Initially this engine used a feedback loop to confirm new balances after exchange execution. Problem was when you inserted the same type of orders for the same account in between this loop, like your bot was doing by sending the same marketable orders over and over, the exchange balance checking would be screwed and allow for a negative balance before catching up with your actual balance.
This wasn't such a serious problem anyway as there was a circuit breaker in place that would limit any possible negative loss to a maximum of 1,000 usd.

Anyways this has now been corrected (this was the purpose of testing on very small volume pairs like DRK). Your bot has been very useful in this regard.

Have a good day
Raphael
Bitfinex team
dscotese

Activity: 444
Merit: 250

I prefer evolution to revolution.

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 03:41:41 PM

How is that possible?
Anyone to explain?

Hello TheXpert,

I will write you a PM for more details on whats next, but for everyone here is what happened. We are currently testing a new trading engine on DRKUSD and DRKBTC pairs only. Initially this engine used a feedback loop to confirm new balances after exchange execution. Problem was when you inserted the same type of orders for the same account in between this loop, like your bot was doing by sending the same marketable orders over and over, the exchange balance checking would be screwed and allow for a negative balance before catching up with your actual balance.
This wasn't such a serious problem anyway as there was a circuit breaker in place that would limit any possible negative loss to a maximum of 1,000 usd.

Anyways this has now been corrected (this was the purpose of testing on very small volume pairs like DRK). Your bot has been very useful in this regard.

Have a good day
Raphael
Bitfinex team

Compensate him.  Each member of the community will decide whether or not the amount of your compensation is worth the risk of allowing a negative balance.  Many of us figure that once we run out of the money a bot can spend, we'll just leave it until we get around to adding more.  It looks like you allowed it to continue losing when reason suggests you should have stopped it.

I suspect that you already decided to eat his losses, so why not publish that fact?  It would encourage us to test your exchange :-)

I like to provide some work at no charge to prove my valueAvoid supporting terrorism!
Satoshi Nakamoto: "He ought to find it more profitable to play by the rules."
Pages: « 1 ... 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 [271] 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 ... 361 »
  Print  

Jump to: