Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 03:14:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 ... 361 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [OFFICIAL]Bitfinex.com first Bitcoin P2P lending platform for leverage trading  (Read 723633 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
MistuhSoftee

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 03:24:29 PM

Thanks for the help
noggin-scratcher

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 03:46:20 PM

- Autolend bot, which instead of a fixed rate, autolends at max(fixed rate, current best swap offer +/- delta), and let users set delta and fixed rate.

- Another slightly more complicated approach might be to let lenders decide how 'deep' into the order book they want their offer to go, ie the lender wants their offer to appear in the 'first' 50,000 USD of offers, or they want their offer to appear in the first 200,000 of offers.

Now that sounds like a good addition.

Set a minimum acceptable rate, maybe also a maximum acceptable rate (so you don't end up setting unlikely-to-fill offers at 2%+ in those times of rare madness), and a preferred rate determined by a delta away from either (a) A fixed rate you set, (b) the FRR, (c) the lowest rate on offer at a particular depth into the book (i.e. set depth to 0 to set a rate relative to the lowest offer) or (d) the highest rate demanded at a particular depth on the other side of the book.

Even better if the 'depth' parameter could be set relative to the quantity of funds going into the offer - if I have a $100 swap close then I'm less picky about the rate it gets re-lent at than when it's a bigger chunk. Better still if the duration offered could be determined by some system that, for example, tries to spread the expected repayment dates out equally over the coming week. But those might be a stretch beyond what's possible to create an intuitive interface for.

Bitfinex referral code: uOaxAuXdVX
DoubleSwapper

Activity: 172

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 04:13:33 PM

https://pay.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2aycxs/hi_this_is_ben_lawsky_at_nydfs_here_are_the/

Ben Lawsky has published a first draft for the US legislation and regulation of bitcoin exchanges. Will bitfinex attempt to register for such a license? If so please make this clear in advance!
unclescrooge (OP)
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 04:35:11 PM

It looks like Raphael hasn't logged into bitcointalk for about two days. Is this unusual?

Hello guys,

I was just reading this and it actually made me smile Smiley But I'd like to address some of the speculation here: I am not very active on forums and reddit (its been quite some months like this actually), because I love working 24/7 as much as the next guy but I also need some time off and enjoy a bit of free time with my wife (nothing extraordinary Smiley). So there is not much room left for reading forum and stuffs.
Furthermore as Giancarlo said we now have a new PR person that will be the person to talk to now.

Regarding the "repeated litecoin withdrawal problem", it is simply false. Let me explain (again) how it works: we store litecoins and bitcoins in a hot wallet, for no more than 0.5% of our total assets. When the hot wallet is empty, we will have to replenish it MANUALLY (do I need to explain why?). When this happens, withdrawals are delayed in "processing" state, up to 12 hours generally.
It is not a problem, we even state on the withdrawal email that withdrawals processing is subject to hot wallet availability.

While 0.5% of our BTC assets is big enough to allow us to rarely have to replenish the hot wallet, 0.5% of our litecoin assets is, lets say, a smaller number and as such we have to this operation quite often.

TL;DR - The change to not needing swap until you exceed your trading wallet USD balance will actually reduce risk for lenders, but only if the calculation for liquidation prices remains unchanged (and if lenders are paid before traders in case of liquidation). It will however do this at the cost of reducing the demand for swaps by anywhere between 40% to 100%.

BFX, can you also please clarify what effect the changes will have on liquidation prices? I'm going to run through an example to clarify my understanding of all the changes, please correct.

Let's say we have a trader, with the 1000USD and 1BTC in their trading account. BTC is trading for 600 say, so their margin balance is $1600.
They have 2.5:1 leverage switched on, so their liquidation price is when their effective margin reaches 13% of their margin.

Their tradeable balance is (note that swap interest is a negative value):

Pre-July 21 calc:
Code:
leverage * margin balance (in USD) + unrealized profit + unrealized swap - balance spent on any open trading position(s)
2.5 * 1600 + 0 + 0 - 0 = 4000

Post-July 21 calc:
Code:
leverage * margin balance (in USD) + unrealized profit + unrealized swap - balance spent on any open trading position(s) - value of BTC component of margin balance*
2.5 * 1600 + 0 + 0 - 0 - 600 = 3400
(The BTC value of the margin balance is subtracted from tradable balance because this is treated essentially like taking a BTC 'position' with some of your tradeable balance)

What I call 'effective margin' is margin balance plus unrealized profit plus unrealized swap. At the moment a position is opened it is always = margin balance as there is not yet any profit or swap. When the margin ratio = effective margin/margin balance hits the trigger, (in this case 13%) the trader is liquidated. This is how we calculate liquidation price.

If we assume a simple position of n bitcoins bought at price Pbuy and CUSD USD plus CBTC BTC in the trading account, then Margin ratio equals:
( n*P - n*Pbuy + Iswap + CUSD + P*CBTC) / (CUSD + P*CBTC)

Liquidation price is when this equals 0.13, so
Pliq = (n*Pbuy - 0.87*CUSD - Iswap) / (n + 0.87*CBTC)

Lets say the trader opens a position by buying 5BTC at $600. Their tradeable balance and liquidation prices at the moment the position is opened look like the following:

Pre-July 21 calculation:
Code:
Tradeable balance = 2.5 * 1600 = 4000
Active swaps = 5 * 600 = 3000
Liquidation price = ( 5*600 - 0.87*1000 - 0 )/( 5 + 0.87*1 ) = $362.86

Post-July 21 calculation:
Code:
Tradeable balance = 2.5 * 1600 - 600 = 3400
Active swaps = 5 * 600 - 1000 = 2000
Liquidation price = ( 5*600 - 0.87*1000 - 0 )/( 5 + 0.87*1 ) = $362.86

(BFX - Is this new liquidation price calc correct ie it remains the same? Does anything change?)

OK, that's all good, but if the liquidation prices are the same, where does the reduced risk come from? The answer is that this change probably doesn't reduce the risk of a cascading liquidation by much, (assuming that I'm right and the liq. price calc doesn't change) but if it works the way I am assuming then lenders will be more protected because even in the case of a forced liquidation, it will be the trader's money that is put at risk first. Let's see what I mean.

Under the pre July-21 system, a liquidation causing a loss to lenders will occur when the effective margin drops below zero. This is when the loss is equal to the total margin balance, so when

Plosing = (n*Pbuy - (CUSD - Iswap) / (n + CBTC)

This will occur at (5*600 - 1000 - 0)/(5+1) = $333.33.
We can see that liquidating the position by selling the 5 bitcoins, plus the 1 bitcoin collateral, will yield 6 * 333.33 = 2000. This plus the 1000 in the trader's wallet will be just enough to pay back the lender their $3000 swap.

OK, what about after July 21? Say price goes to $333.33 and we liquidate. We get the same $2000, and the trader also has the $1000 in his wallet. The lender gets paid back the $2000, and the trader at least still has his $1000 USD collateral too. There's an 'extra' $1000 USD of margin in play here!

In the case that the liquidation price is below this amount, I would assume that the lender takes priority (again BFX need to clarify here!). So this means that the actual price that will cause a loss to lenders post July 21 is when effective margin = negative USD collateral, so:
Plosing = (n*Pbuy - (2*CUSD - Iswap) / (n + CBTC)

So yes this change will result in reduced risk for lenders, but it will also mean that demand for swaps to cover the portion of the position that otherwise would be bought with the trading wallet USD balance will vanish. Given that for each individual, their current leverage is bounded between 1 (they are borrowing less than their margin balance) and 2.5, this drop in demand is bounded between 100% and 40%. Obviously most people using the margin trading feature have leverage above 1, so it's unlikely that the drop will be near to 100, but it's also unlikely to be near to 40% either. I would guess between 50 - 60%.

It's also worth noting that this part of the change doesn't affect the likelihood of a cascading flash crash very much. However the change in the treatment of BTC/LTC collateral will have an effect there, by reducing the effective leverage possible for these traders.

I think this change by BFX is as much a PR move as it is a move truly intended to avert systemic risk. The headline 'swaps active' number is going to drop by a huge amount; this is all BFX management really want, cos they hope that then people will stop whinging about it in the forums and making them look bad. Given Giancarlo's response to the completely reasonable thread about there being a BFX credit bubble (he called it FUD and was childishly abusive) I think the real motivations here are clear.

Lender beware.

Thank you for your detailed analysis. This change will indeed not change the liquidation risk as we don't change the liquidation price calculation.

However it will not lower the swap demand by 40 to 100%. It would currently lower it by a very small % (because most of our long users don't hold any USD as collateral). But even this small decrease in demand is nothing compared to the increase of demand resulting from the other change: the need to backup unrealized swap or pay it every day. The amount of unrealized swap is really high enough to outweight the amount of USD in trading wallet by a fair amount. However this will be smoothed out over the first days after the change to avoid spike as much as possible.
So long story short: our changes will initially lower a bit the swap demand, then in 2 to 3 days increase it by more.
Then of course there is the normal fluctuation of margin longs and the options that traders will chose for their unrealized swap which makes predictions only approximate.

Thank you for the auto-lend bot, it is a very good idea. I think initially it will just be based on the current asks with maximum and/or minimum rate to lend to.

Best regards
Raphael
Bitfinex team
Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 04:37:01 PM

https://pay.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2aycxs/hi_this_is_ben_lawsky_at_nydfs_here_are_the/

Ben Lawsky has published a first draft for the US legislation and regulation of bitcoin exchanges. Will bitfinex attempt to register for such a license? If so please make this clear in advance!

It's far cheaper to run their current model, but at the same time they might lose a lot of customers to regulated US exchanges if they come to fruition. Interesting to see how things will develop.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
unclescrooge (OP)
aka Raphy

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 04:38:14 PM

It's far cheaper to run their current model, but at the same time they might lose a lot of customers to regulated US exchanges if they come to fruition

That sums it up perfectly.

I can't comment on it though Smiley
DoubleSwapper

Activity: 172

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 04:41:48 PM

It's far cheaper to run their current model, but at the same time they might lose a lot of customers to regulated US exchanges if they come to fruition. Interesting to see how things will develop.
If somebody is losing something then it is bitcoin which loses all of its functionality with this kind of harsh regulation. Seriously if this regulation is in place using cryptocurrencies like they are supposed to is more or less a crime. I'm asking this because the regulation states that even oversea exchanges have register or block access for NY citizens. I know bfx is sailing under some some obscure flag but whether they like it or not THIS WILL BE OF IMPORTANCE TO THEM.
DumDumz

Activity: 126

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 04:46:07 PM

It is surprising that the USD swap rates keep constantly at around 0.16% for more than a week.

unclescrooge (OP)
aka Raphy

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 05:06:16 PM

It is surprising that the USD swap rates keep constantly at around 0.16% for more than a week.

I think this has to do with the depth of the swap demands (very high). Unless there is a big change in either demand or open swap it will likely stay stuck there for some time.

WHo doesnt love stability Smiley

Raphael
bjornw

Activity: 152

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2014, 05:23:33 PM

Raphael

speculators  Tongue

http://www.bfxdata.com Bitfinex Swap (Lending) Charts and Orderbook pages. Bitfinex referrer code UttOzlC1zZ (10% fee discount for 30 days)
8fold

Activity: 391
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 06:14:42 PM

Raphael

speculators  Tongue

Good one Smiley

Bitrated user: 8fold.
PirateHatForTea

Activity: 181
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 01:29:05 AM

Thank you for your detailed analysis. This change will indeed not change the liquidation risk as we don't change the liquidation price calculation.

However it will not lower the swap demand by 40 to 100%. It would currently lower it by a very small % (because most of our long users don't hold any USD as collateral). But even this small decrease in demand is nothing compared to the increase of demand resulting from the other change: the need to backup unrealized swap or pay it every day. The amount of unrealized swap is really high enough to outweight the amount of USD in trading wallet by a fair amount. However this will be smoothed out over the first days after the change to avoid spike as much as possible.
So long story short: our changes will initially lower a bit the swap demand, then in 2 to 3 days increase it by more.
Then of course there is the normal fluctuation of margin longs and the options that traders will chose for their unrealized swap which makes predictions only approximate.

Thank you for the auto-lend bot, it is a very good idea. I think initially it will just be based on the current asks with maximum and/or minimum rate to lend to.

Best regards
Raphael
Bitfinex team

Raphael, thanks for a great response. I am a little shocked to learn that most long users don't hold any USD collateral (though it makes sense if one's objective is to be as long BTC as humanly possible); for me this is the missing piece of the puzzle. Considering only USD as collateral for leverage calculations means that the bounds for collateral to position cost, rather than being 1 and 2.5, are actually 1 and infinity (the latter being the case where the whole margin balance is funded with Bitcoin). So the bounds on the drop in demand are 0% and 100% (not very informative bounds!). And you say that most leveraged long positions are based on BTC alone, so we can expect the drop to be closer to 0% than 100%. Good to know.

The fact that there is so much unrealized swap interest payments and that some of that is going to have to be paid for by selling BTC (since outstanding swap interest > USD collateral balances) makes me a little nervous. Have you thought much about your methodology for smoothing this out? What is your plan?

Say for example someone who has only BTC collateral, which you stated is very common. Say they have 5BTC collateral, a 10BTC open position, and $500 in unrealized swap interest (this would correspond to opening their position about a month ago say). If they have to pay the swap interest all at once, then 0.83 of their bitcoin, over 8% of their position, will have to be liquidated. How do you plan to amortize this?

Glad you like the auto-lend bot idea. I wrote up a pseudo-code design to do this but haven't yet got around to writing an actual bot implementation. Would love to see it as a standard feature though. Having both buy and sell side automation would greatly increase the market efficiency, to the extent that you could possibly even remove the FRR feature (since at the time of placing an offer you are getting the market rate). Then again perhaps an auto-lend bot would lead to a natural decline in the use of FRR, ie the market will decide.

Unlevereged financial instruments acting as a store of value that fluctuate 50% within 10 minutes is perfectly acceptable. I think it should be offered in IRA form to soon to be retirees.
pitchbend

Activity: 242
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 08:24:16 AM

Feature request for lenders regarding the new changes, specifically the swap rate bot:

It's unfair to give borrowers a automated functionality to close swaps for ones with better rates, and not give lenders the possibility to at least match the rate of the swap the bot is going to go for before closing your swap.

For example if I provide a 10 day $1k swap at 1.6 and the bot of my borrower sees a similar swap at 1.59 before it closes mine it'll be nice to have an option (maybe an opt-in option in the Offer Swap form) to "if the borrower of the swap bot finds a better rate, match it to avoid closing of the swap".

So at least lenders have an also automated way of ensuring their swaps won't get closed when rates go down.
johndee

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 08:49:26 AM

I have a simple question to the bitfinex:
Do lenders bear ANY risk of trading? (In how it works you write: "You are not exposed to exchange risk when you lend with Bitfinex.")

In case there is are rapid swings in BTC price and speculators position does not cover all the losses after margin call, who covers the difference? Does bitfinex covers it, or does the lender looses some of his/her money?
noggin-scratcher

Activity: 136

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:11:30 AM

In case there is are rapid swings in BTC price and speculators position does not cover all the losses after margin call, who covers the difference? Does bitfinex covers it, or does the lender looses some of his/her money?

I'm not affiliated with anyone, but 'finex announced in March that they were extending the 'insurance' that had previously been optional (and drawing from a permanently underfunded pool, so it wasn't really an option most of the time) to cover all swaps. So the idea is that BitFinex would cover the loss in the case where a margin call fails to recover what the trader owes.

Meaning that the remaining risk is that of a widespread sudden catastrophic meltdown, where the losses are too great for them to bear and then... we're not sure what happens then - either they go bankrupt and all is lost, or they pass losses on to swap providers and almost all is lost.

Bitfinex referral code: uOaxAuXdVX
bjornw

Activity: 152

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 09:59:52 AM

sneak preview anyone?

I'm building pages for total return swaps where the user can specify the period of swaps and get stats and charts for the selected period (offers/demands/history).
Basically the same as the "live" swapstats pages but filterable on period. There's a period selector top right to set a period. The pages won't have live updates (for now) where the normal swapstats pages do.

Be aware it's not completely ready yet, but does work as it should as far as I can see now.

http://www.bfxdata.com/swapstats_var_period/usd.php (btc and ltc not available yet)

As always any suggestions are welcome. Regards Bjorn

http://www.bfxdata.com Bitfinex Swap (Lending) Charts and Orderbook pages. Bitfinex referrer code UttOzlC1zZ (10% fee discount for 30 days)
supermine

Activity: 826
Merit: 518

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 11:04:18 AM

I have a problem, my offered swap was taken for a few minutes, then closed. Now I am stuck witht the 30 days time frame and cannot close my offered swap anymore. My money is neither offered, nor taken nor closed, it is kind of frozen, listed under "Swaps currently provided". Anybody has a solution for this?

TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 11:08:29 AM

I have a problem, my offered swap was taken for a few minutes, then closed. Now I am stuck witht the 30 days time frame and cannot close my offered swap anymore. My money is neither offered, nor taken nor closed, it is kind of frozen, listed under "Swaps currently provided". Anybody has a solution for this?

waiting usually helps. If not send a email to support@bitfinex.com

TalkingBit

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 01:32:56 AM

Yep looks like the site is having issues. Offers are not posted on the swap book unclescrooge to the rescue!!!!!!!!
unclescrooge (OP)
aka Raphy

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 09:58:50 AM

Hello,

If I understand it correctly, the swap is closed, but still listed on the "Swaps currently provided" table right?

If that happens, you can refresh the page (F5) and it should get all back in order. It may happens that the connexions to the server is broken for some reason.

Let me know if it helps

Raphael
Pages: « 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 ... 361 »
  Print  

Jump to: