Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:02:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do run a Bitcoin Core FULL NODE Now!  (Read 8474 times)
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 04:36:40 PM

It's not enough to run a full node in some raspberry pi that you will never use. You should use it to transact too, so it becomes an economic node and you are in charge of your money 100%, knowing what you are doing. The problem is keeping your bitcoins safe.. which is why im asking what is the best operating system to run a full node that is also used as a wallet:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2332405.msg23830612

please help.

Linux of course.
I think a good choice is Ubuntu (which is derived from Debian).  This is what I run on my VPS and it is very easy to maintain and upgrade (I just upgraded to 17.10).  My SPV desktop wallet (Windows 10) connects to just my VPS node, so I know that wallet transactions have been verified.

So would you consider your Windows 10 desktop wallet (I guess it's Electrum?)? If it's in Windows 10, you are still expose to Windows 10's viruses and so on, not to mention which is closed source, with in-built spying stuff etc. Why would you consider this safe even if it connects to a node that is on Linux? Also can you really trust Canonical Ltd? Richard Stallman called Ubuntu "spyware" at some point.
Debian is considered potentially much more secure, but if you have no experience with Linux, Ubuntu is much closer to the ideal than anything Windows.

The remainder of the chatter above such as running one thing on Windows or PI and hooking it to the Linux machine is meaningless complexity.

You asked what was the best OS to run Core on "which was also a wallet."

I've also been recommended Debian, it at least has a GUI online OpenBSD. Will it auto-update itself fixing any vulnerabilities etc? do you need to mess around wit the terminal to make it work?

What do you think about the openSUSE one?

In general would you consider using Core as a wallet under Linux safe? I just don't understand how this idea of running the node separate from the wallet while still using the node to transact works.
It seems ideal tho.. since you would sign the transaction offline, then use your node to spread it into the network, but I have no idea how this could be done properly.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cryptoexchange cl

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 04:48:30 PM

how much memory do i need to host a full node?
Bestcoin-fan (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 05:02:15 PM

]
In general would you consider using Core as a wallet under Linux safe? I just don't understand how this idea of running the node separate from the wallet while still using the wallet to transact works.
It seems ideal tho.. since you would sign the transaction offline, then use your node to spread it into the network, but I have no idea how this could be done properly.

Honestly, personally I haven't actually sent any serious transactions since I realized that I should myself do my best to help the Bitcoin, as several thousands Bitcoin Core (true, reliable and safe) full nodes for the whole world is evidently not sufficient! So I realized I must personally actively participate in supporting the great Bitcoin ecosystem. So I decided to start my own full node.

But you put a very important, good question, I will myself look for a solution (as soon as I have time) - is there a way to create a "symbiosis" of the Electrum wallet and Bitcoin Core (or something like that), so that to sign transactions safely on ANY(doesn't matter which Linux distro, or even Windows) ALWAYS offline system, and afterwards actually broadcasting it with one's own Bitcoin Core full node.

Before I started my full node I had been doing it easily, comfortably and safely with the Electrum wallet.

Donate BTC: 1EeAXetny8pdoAZ4gyhDwnoMUxoTNGyKSz
Bestcoin-fan (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 05:05:32 PM

how much memory do i need to host a full node?
You may see here:
https://bitcoin.org/en/bitcoin-core/features/requirements

rankodan

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 06:58:56 PM

Hello Community,

I run an ESXi host as my IT training lab. I decided to run a Bitcoin full node to support the community. It will be a Linux server (no gui) virtual machine. Can you please advise what Linux distro is better and where I can find install/configure/sync the blockchain instructions?
Aureliusy

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 09:51:07 PM

I really wish I could do it on a cheap VPS, but with the 145GB blockchain and growing... the only cheap option is a rasp Pi with Harddisk?
Besides that I wonder how much up/downstream traffic does it generate (only have a 20/2 Mbit) line.
polylogic

Activity: 546
Merit: 254

ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 10:02:36 PM

Hello everyone)

As I promised, I have uploaded the whole Bitcoin Core blockchain database (0.15.0.1 version format packed into 12x10Gb 7-zip multivolume archive) as of October, 24th, 2017.

The 1-9 parts of the archive are here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1hDozqK5OhbYy1BNTFsRHE5S0U

The 10th part is here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwp9hqEINfq7emI0TE9HSWUzT3c

And the 11-12th parts are here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B04jj__m9bS6djlfc1F4RjM2RlE

I have tested the archive, so you may download safely.

To extract the Bitcoin Core blockchain database from the archive you should use any archive manager that supports 7z archives, the genuine 7z archive manager may be downloaded from here:
http://www.7-zip.org

After downloading all 12 parts launch the 7-zip manager, extract everything anywhere into your hard drive (where you are going to keep the blockchain, there must be at least 200Gb free space there).

Then launch Bitcoin Core 0.15.0.1 application, on request for the database folder point to the extracted folder.
The Core will (pretty fast) check integrity of the database, then it will start syncing the blockchain to its current state (it will start downloading and verifying blocks since October, 24th).

If you had already have your real Bitcoin  wallet before, just add into the root of the extracted folder your own 'wallet.dat' file.

If you have any questions you are welcome to ask them

very nice, the main page misses some crucial Information like how much space is needed.
i always wanted to Store my copy of the btc blockchain inside the sia chain and Keep it updated.
but ive been very busy in real life. still Hardware is the best way to Keep it safe.

.Presale LIVE..Crypto Visa EU OUT NOW.✔ ◾ Bonus Payments.
Cashback ✔ ◾ Rainshowers ✔ ◾ Ambassador Bounty
Founding the next way of banking D E Z E N T R A L I Z E D

|

2gether.global

|

AI optimized
Community driven
Personal banking

❌ VFA Approved
✅ ERC-20 Token
⚠⚠ Join presale now!

Website
Twitter
BTCT ANN
mahdaoui imad

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 11:42:58 PM

I am going to try to upload the whole blockchain to my Google drive
Bestcoin-fan (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 06:20:37 AM

I run an ESXi host as my IT training lab. I decided to run a Bitcoin full node to support the community. It will be a Linux server (no gui) virtual machine. Can you please advise what Linux distro is better and where I can find install/configure/sync the blockchain instructions?
I'd start from
https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node

I really wish I could do it on a cheap VPS, but with the 145GB blockchain and growing... the only cheap option is a rasp Pi with Harddisk?
Besides that I wonder how much up/downstream traffic does it generate (only have a 20/2 Mbit) line.
Almost all necessary info may be found here
https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node/

... very nice, the main page misses some crucial Information like how much space is needed.
i always wanted to Store my copy of the btc blockchain inside the sia chain and Keep it updated.
but ive been very busy in real life. still Hardware is the best way to Keep it safe.
The extrated archive will occupy about 160Gb
I am going to try to upload the whole blockchain to my Google drive
Of course you can do, just note I have already uploaded one as of October, 24th

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 02:53:39 PM

..... is there a way to create a "symbiosis" of the Electrum wallet and Bitcoin Core (or something like that), so that to sign transactions safely on ANY(doesn't matter which Linux distro, or even Windows) ALWAYS offline system, and afterwards actually broadcasting it with one's own Bitcoin Core full node.

Before I started my full node I had been doing it easily, comfortably and safely with the Electrum wallet.

All this reduces to is generating transactions off line and then inputting them into a computer with a wallet such as Bitcoin Core.

Hooking Electrum into one end and hooking "full node" into the other is two levels of specificity without any tangible benefit.
Bestcoin-fan (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 03:14:04 PM

..... is there a way to create a "symbiosis" of the Electrum wallet and Bitcoin Core (or something like that), so that to sign transactions safely on ANY(doesn't matter which Linux distro, or even Windows) ALWAYS offline system, and afterwards actually broadcasting it with one's own Bitcoin Core full node.

All this reduces to is generating transactions off line and then inputting them into a computer with a wallet such as Bitcoin Core.

Hooking Electrum into one end and hooking "full node" into the other is two levels of specificity without any tangible benefit.

Spendulus, I've noticed if I say the Earth is round, you will say that is not quite true. You are always looking to find faults in my words Grin

The greatest benefit with the Electrum scheme is that the online system's wallet is "watch-only". The real wallet that can spend money never goes online.

neurotypical

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 03:54:32 PM

Spendulus, I've noticed if I say the Earth is round, you will say that is not quite true. You are always looking to find faults in my words Grin

The greatest benefit with the Electrum scheme is that the online system's wallet is "watch-only". The real wallet that can spend money never goes online.

The idea is to have a full bitcoin node installed in a decent system like a linux partition that you don't use for much other than to have the full node so you lower the surface attack (and not use Electrum because it's not ideal, some consider HD wallets unsafe).

Then, you would have something that's completely sealed like an airgapped laptop, and you would do the actual signature there, then you save this information in an USB or something and then relay it into the network with your full node.

The problem is I dont really know how this method works. How do you make the offline transaction, then pass it on the full node linux partition safely?
Bestcoin-fan (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 06:06:45 PM

The idea is to have a full bitcoin node installed in a decent system like a linux partition that you don't use for much other than to have the full node so you lower the surface attack (and not use Electrum because it's not ideal, some consider HD wallets unsafe).

Then, you would have something that's completely sealed like an airgapped laptop, and you would do the actual signature there, then you save this information in an USB or something and then relay it into the network with your full node.

The problem is I dont really know how this method works. How do you make the offline transaction, then pass it on the full node linux partition safely?

Neurotypical,  I'm very busy right now, maybe look through this topic:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=651344

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 06:09:27 PM

The way to lower attacks would be to have the "full node" NOT online all the time as a full node, which in and of itself invites attacks. Open ports and all that.

As for the offline machine, those methods are well documented at least for legacy Bitcoin.

But why not use a Trezor or other such hardware device? Certainly they qualify as very low hassle, high security and "off line."
Bestcoin-fan (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 07:12:43 PM

The way to lower attacks would be to have the "full node" NOT online all the time as a full node, which in and of itself invites attacks. Open ports and all that.

As for the offline machine, those methods are well documented at least for legacy Bitcoin.

But why not use a Trezor or other such hardware device? Certainly they qualify as very low hassle, high security and "off line."

Electrum offline (cold storage) scheme is easy, reliable, simple and free!
Personally, I live in the poor, miserable, totalitarian country of Belarus, it is pretty expensive for me to buy any hardware, given the very high customs duties including.

Besides, it's turned out trezors may be very weak and vulnerable as well, the famous history here:
https://www.wired.com/story/i-forgot-my-pin-an-epic-tale-of-losing-dollar30000-in-bitcoin

neurotypical

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 07:23:18 PM

I don't really trust Trezor, they keep adding unnecessary cluter specially with the new Trezor T which raises surface of attack.

I also don't trust the concept of "seeds" in general, or anything that could spawn all of your private keys thought a single passphrase.

Can't you sign transactions offline with the Bitcoin Core wallet in an airgapped computer, then move this into another computer with another Bitcoin Core and relay it to the network?

But maybe this is unnecessary and considering im not going to be running the Bitcoin Core wallet as a node 24/7 and only boot the Linux partition when I need to transact or create a new receiving address... I should be safe.

I would need to encrypt the Linux partition tho, otherwise when I boot in Windows the wallet files could be accessible if my Windows partition gets hacked.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 08:16:54 PM

I don't really trust Trezor, they keep adding unnecessary cluter specially with the new Trezor T which raises surface of attack.

I also don't trust the concept of "seeds" in general, or anything that could spawn all of your private keys thought a single passphrase.

Can't you sign transactions offline with the Bitcoin Core wallet in an airgapped computer, then move this into another computer with another Bitcoin Core and relay it to the network?

But maybe this is unnecessary and considering im not going to be running the Bitcoin Core wallet as a node 24/7 and only boot the Linux partition when I need to transact or create a new receiving address... I should be safe.

I would need to encrypt the Linux partition tho, otherwise when I boot in Windows the wallet files could be accessible if my Windows partition gets hacked.
So you don't trust the seeds or word list, but Electrum uses them. As does Trevor. Core has the HD flag today, but doesn't seem to have deterministic stuff implemented.

This explains the overall theory. There's a link at the bottom on how to do it with Electrum.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_set_up_a_secure_offline_savings_wallet
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2017, 09:42:43 PM

Core has the HD flag today, but doesn't seem to have deterministic stuff implemented.
HD literally means Hierarchical Deterministc. Bitcoin Core allows you to make an HD wallet, so it is deterministic. What Bitcoin Core does not have is the mnemonic or seed phrase. That is completely unrelated to HD wallets; it is a totally separate BIP and not required to have an HD wallet.

bunch

Activity: 57
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:12:59 PM

Is there a geographical map of where nodes are? I have a 300/300mbps connection - and a Ubuntu installation. Is running a node hard on the disk? Is 500GB disk sufficient? Sound like it. Can I install the node software and let it rebuild of the blockchain?
Now I'm up and running Bitcoin Core on my Ubuntu :-)

You're welcome :-)
Bestcoin-fan (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 10:09:01 AM

Is there a geographical map of where nodes are? I have a 300/300mbps connection - and a Ubuntu installation. Is running a node hard on the disk? Is 500GB disk sufficient? Sound like it. Can I install the node software and let it rebuild of the blockchain?
Now I'm up and running Bitcoin Core on my Ubuntu :-)

You're welcome :-)

Excellent, very good!

And you are welcome to the family of smart and responsible fans of the best crypto currency and currency in general - the Bitcoin!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: