Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:21:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PRISM - Who else is disgusted by this?  (Read 41054 times)
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:05:07 PM

2005 says hello.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/21/politics/21nsa.html

Seriously, what do people think the NSA does?  What did Snowden think when he took the job?
keelba

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:42:52 PM

What's really frustrating, more than anything I've read about this, is the fact that the majority of Americans are OK with it. I wish I could find the article I read this morning, but it stated that 60% of Americans have no problem with what the NSA is doing because they feel safer knowing they're using it to stop terrorism.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 05:44:26 PM

do not trust statistics you didn't forge yourself  Smiley

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
rumbitla

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:52:33 PM

The US should be cut off from the European internet.

Let them have their own internet protected by the Great Firewall of America, similar to what the Chinese do with their Great Firewall of China.

"The Golden Shield Project (Chinese: 金盾工程; pinyin: jīndùn gōngchéng), colloquially referred to as the Great Firewall of China[1] (防火长城) is a censorship and surveillance project operated by the Ministry of Public Security (MPS) division of the government of the People's Republic of China. The project was initiated in 1998 and began operations in November 2003." ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Firewall_of_China )
RoadToHell

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:53:03 PM

do not trust statistics you didn't forge yourself  Smiley
ding ding!  The poll question was probably something like "When it comes to known baby-killing terrorists, should the government track their phone and internet activity?"

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:56:45 PM

American satirist Andy Borowitz has tackled the topic: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/06/useful-phrases-for-the-surveillance-state.html

zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:57:36 PM

I tried to search more on this and my browser crashed. Im scared.

same hapend to me

dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:58:26 PM

Connection between PRISM revelations and bitcoin:

http://www.coindesk.com/prisms-effect-on-bitcoin-prices/

escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:07:28 PM

The US should be cut off from the European internet.

Not possible, untill american govt wants that and i don't think they will ever do that.
they want to monitor whole world.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 06:17:56 PM

do not trust statistics you didn't forge yourself  Smiley
ding ding!  The poll question was probably something like "When it comes to known baby-killing terrorists, should the government track their phone and internet activity?"

You also have to take into account when these morons use percentages is what the percentage is out of, I'm shit at percentages and this is the most classic trick they use, they'll usually take a poll of about 1000 people or something and then claim it's 'everybody' or in this case 'A percentage of all Americans' chances are most people are as outraged as you and the media is just trying to smooth it over.
bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 07:00:18 PM

LeTanque

Activity: 85

Fortune favors the bold and brave

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 07:08:52 PM

VPN, Bitcoin, Tor, PGP. 

This is the world we live in and those are the tools you have to fight back.

"It is a mistake to suppose that any technological innovation has a one-sided effect. Every technology is both a burden and a blessing; not either-or, but this-and-that." -Neil Postman Technopoly
1FooDLuTYk782GQNrY7zY1obTc4ceUfj5t
keelba

Activity: 104

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 07:55:13 PM

VPN, Bitcoin, Tor, PGP. 

This is the world we live in and those are the tools you have to fight back.

Don't forget Ghostery http://www.ghostery.com/download to stop cookies from tracking.

Maybe we should have a separate thread with all the ways to protect oneself and how they work.
wdmw

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 11:35:25 PM

If you live in a city or apartment building, change your wireless network name to NSA.gov
FoBoT

Activity: 658

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 12:11:32 AM

https://www.eff.org/nsa-spying/timeline
1791-2013
they did skip the Alien and Sedition Acts and  Andrew Jackson's tyranny

if you think G Bush or B Obama started this garbage, read up on it man
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 12:27:46 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

So much irony here posting this on the internet for others to see. I am disgusted. This year is 2013, next year will be 1984.

We must assume that governments everywhere are spying on us as much as they can afford. The only real solution is awareness of the spying and encryption to protect the communication. The easiest solution is communicating offline as much as possible, or using PGP and bitmessage online.
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:45:39 AM

There are two NSA monitoring programs reported on.  One collects metadata on phone calls in the US, and the other one, called PRISM, gives access to email and other data at companies like Google.  Initially this sounds bad, but these programs appear to be legal.  The phone-monitoring program cannot listen in on your call without a warrant, but they can see who you called and when.  This program has been reported on for a long time, and collecting this metadata has been legal since 1979.  The other program, PRISM, does not target US citizens, who are protected by the constitution from unreasonable searches.  PRISM collects data of "non-US persons", particularly those in Iran and Pakistan.  These programs have congressional and judicial oversight.  

The uproar seems to be about the possibility that this monitoring program could be turned on US citizens, whether the NSA should be able to collect metadata, and whether the agency is filtering out US data appropriately since Snowden's leak shows that about 3% of the data collected is from the US.  Leaking secret documents about perfectly legal government programs overseen by elected congressmen makes Edward Snowden a traitor, unless we find his claim that the NSA is lying is correct.  There will certainly be an inquiry to find out the truth.

I think the whole argument is stupid.  Everyone knows that information you put online is not private.  Making sure the NSA can't legally access it doesn't fix anything.  There are still any number of corporations, foreign governments, and individual attackers with access who don't care about your privacy.  People who are actually concerned about their privacy encrypt their data.  Which is no one.  Privacy is over because no one cares.

I wrote a blog post about it.  Let me know what you think!
http://sethotterstad.quora.com/Edward-Snowden-is-a-Traitor-but-a-marginal-one

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
Kinetic915

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:30:59 AM

I'd hoped never to see it confirmed, but it's a US problem only I hope:

Documents leaked by NSA contractor Edward Snowden[6] in June 2013 describe the PRISM program as enabling in-depth surveillance on live communications and stored information. It provides for the targeting of any customers of participating corporations who live outside the United States, or American citizens whose communications include web content of people outside the United States. Data which the NSA is able to obtain under PRISM allegedly includes email, video and voice chat, videos, photos, voice over IP conversations, file transfers, login notifications and social networking details.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

I would say it is more targeted at non-US citizens.

According to John Oliver on the Daily Show the system that assesses the target's level of "foreignness" is accurate up to 51%.  Thats a 49% margin of error.  A flip of the coin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PCEnkynRuI

Kinetic915

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:36:51 AM

“There is a massive apparatus within the United States government that with complete secrecy has been building this enormous structure that has only one goal, and that is to destroy privacy and anonymity, not just in the United States but around the world,” said Glenn Greenwald, the Guardian reporter speaking on CNN. “That is not hyperbole. That is their objective.”

Absolutely terrifying.  I know this does not solely stem from the Obama Administration, but it is disheartening to see Obama defends PRISM when the overlying slogan of his campaign was governmental transparency....

Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 08:22:02 PM
Last edit: June 12, 2013, 09:38:29 PM by Korbman

It seems I'm one of the few that realizes PRISM, in all its shapes and forms, is nothing new..and as a result, I'm not shocked by it in the least.

"Modern" spying..whether on domestic or foreign persons..has been around for a number of decades (perhaps much longer), though obviously not on this scale. As technology got more advanced, it became easier and easier for "acronym agencies" to collect and analyze data. It was only a matter of time before something of this magnitude was uncovered.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: