Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:10:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PRISM - Who else is disgusted by this?  (Read 41053 times)
gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:39:22 AM

Yes, everyone should boycott american IT companies such as Facebook, Google, Apple, DropBox, Skype, Microsoft, Dell, HP..
The only thing preventing the majority of people to not boycott them are ignorance and laziness to learn other products or operating systems (linux)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 09:11:01 AM

I think everyone in their right mind is disgusted by this. 

Speaking of which...I'd love to start browsing pretty exclusively with Tor just for more privacy, but Google searches don't work in Tor for me.  Does anyone know how to fix this, or alternatively, a different search engine that doesn't have this problem?

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 10:37:17 AM

Yes, everyone should boycott american IT companies such as Facebook, Google, Apple, DropBox, Skype, Microsoft, Dell, HP..
The only thing preventing the majority of people to not boycott them are ignorance and laziness to learn other products or operating systems (linux)

Good luck finding an ISP or telco operating in the US that won't give up your data when asked. Using linux won't stop that. Cheesy
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:24:00 PM

In our apartment complex, there has been a series of car radio thefts, resulting in smashed windows and damaged cars. Should we install security cameras (but losing tenant privacy?), or not? I think losing some privacy for the greater good, is required.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:29:24 PM

In our apartment complex, there has been a series of car radio thefts, resulting in smashed windows and damaged cars. Should we install security cameras (but losing tenant privacy?), or not? I think losing some privacy for the greater good, is required.
You could help reduce unemployment and hire someone to keep an eye on them.

So instead of electronic Surveillance, the NSA should hire about 100k more employee, to physically watch every single potential terrorist?

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Kinetic915

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:44:58 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2013, 08:05:02 PM by Kinetic915

This is a terrible analogy in this context.  On a scale of a country/world, that statement loses precision.  First off, the security cameras would be in plain view of the tenants, and would most likely be in agreement between tenants and managers/owners.  There would at least there would be some kind of notice, then you could voice discontent to the owners.  This is not the case when it comes to PRISM.  I understand the possibility of it doing good, but there is no reason a program of that magnitude should be ENTIRELY hidden from the public or its powers derived entirely from the people who created it, without any accountability or oversight.

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 10:11:08 PM

Speaking of which...I'd love to start browsing pretty exclusively with Tor just for more privacy, but Google searches don't work in Tor for me.  Does anyone know how to fix this, or alternatively, a different search engine that doesn't have this problem?
Try duckduckgo.
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:23:50 AM

Would you guys say that, since the advent of the internet, it has become easier or harder for a totalitarian government to stay in power? Are there examples of states that have become MORE totalitarian in the last 10-15 years or so in a state with decent internet penetration? I want to study the effect of the internet on the coercive state, but I'm having trouble finding articles or studies on it, although I think they probably exist. If anyone can link some, that would be awesome. Here is my initial take on it:

I agree with the sentiment of a lot of people that the end of privacy being caused by computers is terrifying. Governments can spy on populations much better than totalitarian regimes of the past. However, totalitarianism appears to be in MASSIVE DECLINE. Dictators have had a really bad decade, are getting taken out all over the place, and having revolutions despite the use of massive surveillance to support the regimes. Why do you think the opposite correlation would be true? You have to consider the positives of computers and the internet too:

Instant spread of information on government wrongdoing
Easier to organize protests
Stronger free speech protection
Easy access to information promotes more logical populations/representatives who will be less likely to believe, for example, that certain ethnic minorities deserve fewer rights

I'm sure there are a whole bunch I'm missing, but it appears that they outweigh the negative of an easier surveillance state, which I argue will be impossible to stop anyway since no one cares about encrypting their data unless their life depends on it. We have repeatedly seen that you only need something like 10% of a population out protesting in order to have a revolution. Some Eastern European countries saw protest rates of almost 50% during the fall of the soviet union, but such a high level is not necessary, particularly if they are armed with rifles.

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
Financisto

Activity: 632
Merit: 768

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 01:38:44 AM

PRISM is the ultimate Big Brother around...and when that Utah Yottabyte (YB) Data Base is ready, things are gonna be really bad...  Lips sealed

Dark times are comming... Embarrassed

But what bothers me the most is that Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook etc. don't stand a second against the GOV force.

BTW, I'll post here as well what I've suggested somewhere else:

OPs and MODs:

I'd like to suggest a fixed topic about PRISM surveillance and inside that topic some info like that available at http://prism-break.org/

And freedom for all!

LIST • ESCROW providers • Ranking & Scores available!LIST • FOSS BrainwalletsBTC ⇆⚡⇄ BTCBTC aka BTC: 16MBvhaJoRBxW3Vk6apnvz3UYT9HAgraVS ⚡ PGP: 2680207AA9A1B69FE7A033D80DE0F221074384C4 ⚡ If you think freedom matters, please support the development of these privacy projects→DONATE some sats: TailsQubes OSWhonixVeraCryptPicocryptKryptorSimpleX Chat
halfawake

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:17:07 AM

Try duckduckgo.

Ooh, a search engine that doesn't track you.  Thanks for the heads up, I'll give them a shot.

Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:56:40 AM

Try duckduckgo.

Ooh, a search engine that doesn't track you.  Thanks for the heads up, I'll give them a shot.
I've seen some people reporting that ixquick is better than duckduckgo.  I've tried duckduckgo before and thought the results were so extraordinarily bad that I couldn't use it.

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:58:17 AM

I've seen some people reporting that ixquick is better than duckduckgo.  I've tried duckduckgo before and thought the results were so extraordinarily bad that I couldn't use it.

I thought that too; I guess all that data collection served a purpose Tongue  At least, started out with good intentions.

halfawake

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:36:19 AM

I thought that too; I guess all that data collection served a purpose Tongue  At least, started out with good intentions.

Yeah, I just tried it for the first time and it is significantly slower than Google.  I don't think data collection has anything to do with how good the results are, that's more an indication of how good the algorithms and the crawlers are.  You can have great algorithms / crawlers without collecting data about people using your search engine.  Going to give it a try for a while, no guarantees that I'll stick with it, but I like the no tracking thing.

manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:13:01 AM

I'd like to suggest a fixed topic about PRISM surveillance and inside that topic some info like that available at http://prism-break.org/
A fixed topic about PRISM should be in place but i would say it wont help much.
In Europe the try to make it mandatory to have every new car registered from October 2015 be fitted with the "112-eCall-System"
it means that your car is tracked 24/7 How much information is collected and sent is anyone's goes. will it come with an always on in-build microphone and internal, external cameras?
Welcome to the future
$1LK

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:49:09 PM

void itIsWhatItIs() {
    std::string Corporations[] = { "banks", "military", "agencies", "hospitals", "transportation", "etc" };
    std::string Proletariat[] = { "good", "honest", "strong" };
}

int main() {
    auto Country = "America";
    itIsWhatItIs();
    Proletariat += { "American" };
    if (Proletariat[0] != "good") {
        std::cout << "Error! Database error. Userland compromised. Recommend beginning escape sequence." << std::endl;
        return 1;
    }
    else {
        std::cout << "Everything is good... oh wait, that sounds too good to be tru-

SEGMENTATION FAULT. FATAL ERROR!!!

lol, I'm bored. Prism honestly sounds god-awful.
TomUnderSea

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:20:56 PM

A fixed topic about PRISM should be in place but i would say it wont help much.
In Europe the try to make it mandatory to have every new car registered from October 2015 be fitted with the "112-eCall-System"
it means that your car is tracked 24/7 How much information is collected and sent is anyone's goes. will it come with an always on in-build microphone and internal, external cameras?
Welcome to the future
I don't think cameras and mic's would be tolerated and they would serve almost no purpose in that system (although monitoring systems like that are very popular in Poland as personal protection in disputes over collisions). That system has no reliance to prism though, it only has reliance to European states road infrastructure and in effect is no different from requiring cars to be licensed and roadworthy. If it also tracked your phones GPS data or mast signals to verify who was driving and sent the data to US government spy agency servers then it would be an issue.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/03/20/174827589/yes-your-new-car-has-a-black-box-wheres-the-off-switch

The US car market already has an "EDR" in the vast majority of new cars. 

The problem is who owns the data in it.

Personally, I believe that as the owner of the car, I should own the data in the EDR and access to it should require a warrant.  Sadly, it seems that is not how it is being treated today.

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
Chaoskampf

Activity: 182

order in numbers

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 12:22:50 AM

I don't know why this would come as a surprise to anyone with even the most basic understanding of governments. There's really nothing to be surprised about. Analogous operations have been ongoing for many decades among almost every developed "democracy" and not-so-democracy under the sun. This is the state. This is what it does.
Financisto

Activity: 632
Merit: 768

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 02:42:23 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 02:49:53 AM by Financisto

I've seen some people reporting that ixquick is better than duckduckgo.  I've tried duckduckgo before and thought the results were so extraordinarily bad that I couldn't use it.

There's also Startpage.com (also provided by Ixquick) where they claim to provide "complete privacy" as mentioned in their words as follows:

"Startpage offers you Web search results from Google in complete privacy!"

"When you search with Startpage, we remove all identifying information from your query and submit it anonymously to Google ourselves. We get the results and return them to you in total privacy."

"Your IP address is never recorded, your visit is not logged, and no tracking cookies are placed on your browser. When it comes to protecting your privacy, Startpage runs the tightest ship on the Internet. Our outstanding privacy policy and thoughtful engineering give you great search results in total anonymity."

Good luck trying...

LIST • ESCROW providers • Ranking & Scores available!LIST • FOSS BrainwalletsBTC ⇆⚡⇄ BTCBTC aka BTC: 16MBvhaJoRBxW3Vk6apnvz3UYT9HAgraVS ⚡ PGP: 2680207AA9A1B69FE7A033D80DE0F221074384C4 ⚡ If you think freedom matters, please support the development of these privacy projects→DONATE some sats: TailsQubes OSWhonixVeraCryptPicocryptKryptorSimpleX Chat
Kinetic915

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 06:33:17 PM

"Wake to see - your true emancipation is a fantasy.
Policies have risen up and overcome the brave." -- Muse

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 04:28:18 PM

I've seen some people reporting that ixquick is better than duckduckgo.  I've tried duckduckgo before and thought the results were so extraordinarily bad that I couldn't use it.

There's also Startpage.com (also provided by Ixquick) where they claim to provide "complete privacy" as mentioned in their words as follows:

"Startpage offers you Web search results from Google in complete privacy!"

"When you search with Startpage, we remove all identifying information from your query and submit it anonymously to Google ourselves. We get the results and return them to you in total privacy."

"Your IP address is never recorded, your visit is not logged, and no tracking cookies are placed on your browser. When it comes to protecting your privacy, Startpage runs the tightest ship on the Internet. Our outstanding privacy policy and thoughtful engineering give you great search results in total anonymity."

Good luck trying...
OH???  Okay, try this.

Peer to peer Google request anonimizer.

Each request is sent to a random peer, then bounced back to sender.

At first I was thinking FF plugin, but just to spite the bastards, let's make it a Chrome extension.

Next problem?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: