Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 10:55:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoins for Edward Snowden.  (Read 30961 times)
lazydna

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:44:14 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2013, 06:20:43 AM by lazydna

I just don't get it, why HongKong? what the fuck, he's going to get extradited.
why didn't he just go to HongKong, out of reach of the Americans, THEN go to Iceland, THEN TELL YOUR STORY.
balls.

edit: I don't buy the 'i couldn't reach iceland in the short time'.
earning $120k a year and your telling me he couldn't sit at HKG, pay in cash/credit for the first flight out to KEF?

auto2nr1

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 06:14:02 AM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/17/edward-snowden-nsa-files-whistleblower

Edward Snowden Q&A
agnostic98

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 07:25:26 AM

Listening to some of the politicians in Hong Kong speak today it seemed like much of Hong Kong actually supports what he's doing and will be helping to delay the extradition process as long as possible, possibly years.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 08:31:47 AM

Wow. That was extraordinary. Thanks for the link.   Any more?
Cubic Earth
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 08:43:41 AM

why didn't he just go to HongKong, out of reach of the Americans, THEN go to Iceland, THEN TELL YOUR STORY.
balls.

earning $120k a year and your telling me he couldn't sit at HKG, pay in cash/credit for the first flight out to KEF?

He was worried that he would have been captured in Iceland before he had a chance to go public.  Iceland is small and the US can exert enormous pressure and maybe even have its agents operated directly there.  Hong Kong, under China's umbrella, would not suffer from those same risks.  Did you see that Snowden said he would have had to give the NSA 30-days of notice before he left the country?  He was worried he might not have even made it to Hong Kong without being nabbed right off the airplane.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 08:50:07 AM

balls.

He was worried that he would have been captured in Iceland before he had a chance to go public.  Iceland is small and the US can exert enormous pressure and maybe even have its agents operated directly there.  Hong Kong, under China's umbrella, would not suffer from those same risks.  Did you see that Snowden said he would have had to give the NSA 30-days of notice before he left the country?  He was worried he might not have even made it to Hong Kong without being nabbed right off the airplane.

The good news :

Snowden says encryption is safe.  It must be. Otherwise how could he be giving all these interviews out in the open?
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 08:57:00 AM

Snowden isn't in any danger at all (except, perhaps from kidnap by foreign intelligence operatives).

It's absurd to think the US authorities would try to kill him. He would have been perfectly safe had he stayed in the US too.
marcus_of_augustus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:08:36 AM

Snowden isn't in any danger at all (except, perhaps from kidnap by foreign intelligence operatives).

It's absurd to think the US authorities would try to kill him. He would have been perfectly safe had he stayed in the US too.

You might not have been paying attention ...

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 10:21:59 AM

You know they have the death penalty in the U.S and people have been talking about how the government are considering targeting U.S Citizens they think are terrorists right?
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 10:39:54 AM

The bickering about the power structure of HK is pointless; Snowden could be on the moon by now.

He seems smart enough to formulate a simple plan like: "Tell everyone I'm trying to head to Iceland next, but sneak down to my secret bungalow in the Seychelles the minute this reporter leaves the room."

People like you are part of the problem, not the solution.
+1

yes, the government should operate within the law.  Oversight committees have direct responsibility for making sure that happens.  There should be consequences for illegal activities.  Heads should roll.  Time for everyone to consider the legality of what the NSA does.
NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Did you hear about that country that started up in the 1770s as the greatest experiment ever in small government?
It only took ~230 years to become the world's most bloated and restrictive government in history.

This has happened before a few times... But never this large.

Sadly, it always ends the same way, so we can fully expect for that particular experiement to end a lot noisier:

(Hence many people's interest in bitcoin here.)

Anyway, what we learned from that failed experiment is: The smaller you make a government without actually removing the government entirely, the less structure there is in place to actually curb the growth of the government.

So with all of this in mind, are you really trying to just keep the status quo moving along as usual? More oversight committees? More regulations? Hoping the problems will go away if we just get one more good man in some public office somewhere?  Roll Eyes

EL OH EL at the 700+ DEATH THREATS the author got in the comments below.

Here's one for you too:  Please go die in a fire.

Great post BTCLuke Cheesy 

The only surprising thing to me here is:  a long bitcointalk thread where nobody questions the official story of the MSM. 

runam0k
Legendary

Touchdown

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 10:49:38 AM

You know they have the death penalty in the U.S and people have been talking about how the government are considering targeting U.S Citizens they think are terrorists right?
Did I miss something? Huh

There are lots of so-called whistleblowers sitting in the US, none of whom have disappeared or otherwise died young.

Immediately Snowden went public he was safe (at least from US authorities). Sure, he'd be jailed pretty quickly (he committed a crime) and wouldn't be able to do the interviews and Q&As he's currently conducting from HK - nor flirt with China and Russia to secure his long term liberty - but physically safe nonetheless.

Do you really think the NSA, CIA or whoever would try to kill Snowden? I say again, absurd.
BitJohn

Activity: 826

@Bit_John

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 10:49:56 AM

He committed treason hes not safe.
marcus_of_augustus (OP)
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 10:52:22 AM

The only surprising thing to me here is:  a long bitcointalk thread where nobody questions the official story of the MSM. 

I wondered this myself and came to the conclusion that no-one even bothers questioning the MSM because they implicitly assume (KNOW?) that they are spinning propaganda ... it must have been like this with Pravda during the USSR.

runam0k
Legendary

Touchdown

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 11:26:12 AM

yes, the government should operate within the law.  Oversight committees have direct responsibility for making sure that happens.  There should be consequences for illegal activities.  Heads should roll.  Time for everyone to consider the legality of what the NSA does.
NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
So WTF is your solution?

I'm not saying any of this is ideal, but if we want the ability, for example, to gather information on persons of interest (whether they be criminals, terrorists or foreign government or corporate spies) as and when required, there will necessarily be some form of clandestine operation that must necessarily be kept secret from the general population. We necessarily rely on our elected representatives to decide how best to formulate and implement that plan. We necessarily rely on a small subset to specify the boundaries within which these programmes operate. The result - the best we have manged to come up with - is oversight committees and bona fide whistleblowing programmes.

Got a better idea?

EL OH EL at the 700+ DEATH THREATS the author got in the comments below.

Here's one for you too:  Please go die in a fire.
Nice. Roll Eyes
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 11:28:48 AM

At first I was outraged...$200k working for Booz Allen in Hawaii!!!  Shocked

Then I saw the end:
Snowden left the CIA in 2009 to work for a private contractor that gave him an assignment at an NSA facility on a military base in Japan.

$200k makes sense. So does that mean his position is open?

Yes.  And advertised in the NYT. 

http://powerofnarrative.blogspot.co.uk/2013_06_01_archive.html
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 11:32:44 AM

Do you really think the NSA, CIA or whoever would try to kill Snowden? I say again, absurd.

When has the U.S government ever given a shit about what people like you think is absurd? They went and organised an illegal spying operation on Kim Dotcom just for setting up a file hosting site for fucks sake and in another country I should add.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 11:33:00 AM

He committed treason hes not safe.

He revealed treason, IMHO.  He will be _accused_ of committing it.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
marcus_of_augustus (OP)
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 11:42:30 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2013, 11:55:03 AM by marcus_of_augustus

A Government of Wolves: The Emerging American Police State

ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 12:07:05 PM

I'm not saying any of this is ideal, but if we want the ability, for example, to gather information on persons of interest (whether they be criminals, terrorists or foreign government or corporate spies) as and when required, there will necessarily be some form of clandestine operation that must necessarily be kept secret from the general population.

So do you personally want to have this ability? Or are you just conflating government with society in general? Because if "we" end up having this ability I don't think it's going to be you or me that will be using it or even having any say in how and against whom it will be used.

Hey btw if institutions like banks and governments want to spy on me...well I can live with that as long as I can spy on them in the exact same manner. I bet that I have significantly less to hide than them Wink

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
runam0k
Legendary

Touchdown

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 12:32:59 PM

So do you personally want to have this ability? Or are you just conflating government with society in general? Because if "we" end up having this ability I don't think it's going to be you or me that will be using it or even having any say in how and against whom it will be used.

Hey btw if institutions like banks and governments want to spy on me...well I can live with that as long as I can spy on them in the exact same manner. I bet that I have significantly less to hide than them Wink
Ha, no, not me personally. "We" meaning US society as a whole.

As in if this was put to a vote tomorrow, there's zero doubt the people of the US would choose to keep the NSA and every other branch of the US government that deals with national security matters.

I would go so far as to say that without such institutions, the US simply wouldn't be the superpower it is today. Chances are we wouldn't have the freedoms we enjoy today. We probably wouldn't even have the freedom to be typing here about bitcoins or bitcoins for Snowden.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: