Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:14:32 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin an asset or a currency?  (Read 3626 times)
jerjer

Activity: 392
Merit: 105

Money Token

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 12:41:42 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2018, 12:54:29 PM by jerjer

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html

IMHO, I think its considered both. It can be called a currency because lots of countries nowadays accepting bitcoin as payment , but not all payments can pay in bitcoin, because of its delay transaction issues. So using bitcoin as currency like paying our daily transactions like for exampe buy our daily needs in the stores, groceries and etc. is hard to use because it takes at least 3 minutes before the amount reflected to the wallets because of the delay confirmations. As of now the very effective way of using bitcoin as currency is online payment method, trading to different altcoins  and peer to peer transaction. So there are new utility coins now which are the transaction runs very fast, then that can be a real currency than bitcoin. Another problem of bitcoin is not stable its value, so other accept it as an asset than a currency.

Kodok Bencot

Activity: 994
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 12:47:53 PM

Can be said bitcoin is an asset annd currency, as we feel that bitcoin value continues to increase so that we get profit, in fact there is no real money whose value is increased due to inflation factor, while we say currency because it can pay and perform the same function with currency .
sabarr

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 12:54:30 PM

I think, bitcoin can be both a currency and an asset, but I prefer to make bitcoin as my asset for the future so I prefer to invest in bitcoin, and I believe bitcoin will continue to grow and will be profitable in the future
Wulanayu

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 12:56:16 PM

Bitcoin is a digital currency but because the value of bitcoin is so high and unstable many people take advantage of it because it can take advantage.
because bitcoin can be played so many people who think bitcoin is money with high asset value.
I think if the whole world is referring to bitcoin as a means of payment then I'm sure the bitcoin price will be stable.

Rosilito

Activity: 658
Merit: 274

Wish for the rain? Then deal with the mud too.

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 01:07:27 PM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

Yes, if you would have some bitcoin then it would definitely turned out to be an asset of yours, just like your own money or lets say your own capital on your business it is an asset right.  Then it is the samething to do with bitcoin, if you have some then it is your asset because bitcoin is also money no more no less it is a money in a digital world, and asset is something you owned. So, all in all bitcoin is asset.
megatrix

Activity: 217
Merit: 22

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 01:14:21 PM
Merited by Magkirap (2)

Bitcoin was intended to be a currency, but right now, it is in fact being treated as an asset way more than a currency. Sure there are people out there who are actually buying stuff using bitcoins, but mostly, people are just investing in it so they can trade or hold until it increases in price. It's not a bad thing, and it can't be helped either since this is the trend that bitcoin grew upon.

For me, it is both an asset and currency. Yes, it is used as a currency to buy stuff for yourself or even to use as a payment for utilities and such but you can't use these unless it is an asset.

● sgamepro ●   ❐ Telegram ❐   ❐ Whitepaper ❐     ● sgamepro ●
███   PLAY MOBILE GAMES MINE   ███
████ █     CRYPTO-TOKENS EARN REAL MONEY █ ████
Roxyy

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 01:18:09 PM

Bitcoin is the currency but if we have known to the financial knowledge then I think that we will say that it is the liquid asset in the business terms like bitcoin we can use as currency and it is the asset as well as we can hold this for future we can make investment  through this and the value also up and down.
durgeshjishri

Activity: 33

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 01:24:31 PM

As far as I know, bitcoin is now considered as an asset and a payment method in some country. It's a very long way for bitcoin to be a currency.

For me, I considered as an investment or asset, not a currency.
Certainly its the goodness of BTC that it can be used as currrency as well as asset and its depends on person to person,but basically its virtual currency which is striving hard for its existance.
Tukang Becak

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 01:30:08 PM

I think bitcoin is more worth mentioning as an asset, this is because until now no country has made bitcoin as the main legal currency and only makes bitcoin as a commodity equivalent to other products.
qtronix

Activity: 596
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 07:20:55 PM

While bitcoin can not serve us as a currency, as it needs time to penetrate into our world and fully stabilize. And so far, it's an asset.
rtm125

Activity: 434
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 07:33:07 PM

Although bitcoin is practically not used as a currency, it does not cease to be it. He just needs to develop a little more for that. That and is happening now with him.

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
Jonnitor

Activity: 378
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 01:30:26 AM

for me bitcoin is a crypto currency. In which you can trade and convert it to real monetary units or currencies. It is said to be an asset if you traded it already and cash out it to money. But still bitcoin is a floating currency in which it will be a real currency in the near future.
tuikindu01

Activity: 224

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 01:34:12 AM

Bitcoin is a consensual network that has led to a new payment system and a fully digital currency. It is the first decentralized peer-to-peer payment network, controlled by its users without central authority or middleman.

From a user's point of view, bitcoins are much like Internet cash. Bitcoin can also be seen as the most outstanding three-way bookkeeping system.

Bitcoin is defined by the central bank as a special Internet commodity, and zhou xiaochuan, the central bank governor, sees bitcoin as a tradable asset like a postage stamp.
Konthol Ngaceng

Activity: 646
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 01:41:10 AM

I think bitcoin can be used as an asset and currency, we all know that now we can use bitcoin for online payments so it works the same as currency, whereas we say assets because almost all asset traits are in bitcoin.
Best Dreams

Activity: 1008
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 02:47:57 PM

I think if bitcoin is not just an asset, but also a currency. That's because bitcoin is now widely used to conduct transactions online or offline
Yeah we can consider bitcoin so both because some people are making profit from bitcoin y keeping I as an asset of the long time some are using bitcoin as a currency only so we can so both with bitcoin can be done, my friends bought bitcoin they hold it as an asset for the long time and at the same time I have seen a lot of people using bitcoin open at shopping to buy all kind of things to  buy relative goods of their demand, I personally wane save bitcoin as an asset as I have a plan to start my business in future.
assyla

Activity: 319

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 02:56:17 PM

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html
We can consider bitcoin as a currency or what they are usually called as a cryptocurrency which we are actually used in Internet. We also considered bitcoin as a asset because bitcoin is still a money, but not tangible. We can use it to invest in different companies online which may result to a good feedback.

► HackenAI ◄ ♦ HackenAI - Personal Cybersecurity Application ♦ ► HackenAI ◄
───●●───●●───●●───●●───●●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●●───●●───●●───●●───●●───
Facebook|Twitter|Medium|Reddit|Telegram|Whitepaper
zarintasnim

Activity: 1190
Merit: 250

SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2018, 03:21:05 PM

Bitcoin for me asset. I want to save bitcoin for my retire life and i also keep bitcoin my children future. I want to save bitcoin for good life and i believe that bitcoin give me so much.

B.I.O.K.R.I.P.T|
  BiokriptX Fair Launch is now live in PINKSALE
|🟣 Twitter
🔵 Facebook
🟣 Telegram
karik1987

Activity: 117
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 03:54:11 PM

In 2015, 433 billion electronic transactions were registered. If the number of such transactions continues to grow at a constant rate of 10 percent per year, this number will reach 1.5 trillion by 2028.

If BTC is expected to be the reference currency for all of these transactions, then, according to the previously calculated energy cost of 1011 kWh per transaction, it will require an energy of about 1,511,484 terawatt hours, which can not be achieved with the help of the most powerful nuclear power plants assembled together . The largest US nuclear power plant generates only 34 terawatts of power
cpkozak

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 04:12:05 PM

Because the currency needs to fulfill three important functions: payment, accounting and value storage. But so far Bitcoin has not become a real currency. Because of the ease of payment, Bitcoin's real value is not reflected in the price. It lies in usefulness, convenience. No organization can intervene and control. So the real value should be reflected in the security in the purchase and payment.
patrickreiner

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 04:13:53 PM

it doesn't really matter what you call it. Crypto is crypto, it's a new thing, hasn't existed before.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: