Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:47:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Support btc against s2x by running a core node  (Read 451 times)
somac. (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1196

Never selling

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 09:05:38 AM

I just set up a full listening bitcoin core node in an effort to support the BTC network, the core developer team, and as a way to fight back against the S2X fork. Anyone else out there who can run a full node and wishes to support the core team should try to do the same.

I simply followed the instructions from this thread, it was pretty easy.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1282073.0

Make sure that you are running the node before the fork and afterwards for as long as possible.

Long live BTC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
megynacuna

Activity: 756
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 10:34:17 AM

Sure, i have been running a full node since last month, i was doing that  for a hobby  and now you've given me another reason to even set up another one on my idle rapsbery pi 3. It's better for us all to support the core devs and i think leading such a crusade is laudable.
penig

Activity: 266
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 10:43:45 AM

... It's better for us all to support the core devs and i think leading such a crusade is laudable.

What would be really great is if the core devs listened and addressed problems rather than sit on their hands for years, so others take action they have. 
captainhera

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 10:49:22 AM

i have read that topic and i will follow it, i do not care about it, i will do all that for the benefit of my bitcoin.
rainbow169

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 11:43:27 AM

I have been running node for a while, take a long time initially to sync up the block chain but then only a few minutes every time when the node is restarted, I will keep the node running throughout the fork period
somac. (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1196

Never selling

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:52:48 AM

It's good to see some people understand the importance of running node. But, for the newbies who may not understand, running a node is essentially casting a vote. please vote for the core team (the ones who brought you a $7500 btc) by running a full node.
Bestcoin-fan

Activity: 154
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:05:39 AM

Running Bitcoin Core full node is what many of us can do, and what we should do to support the great true Bitcoin network!

The more Bitcoin Core full nodes, the better!

I'd like to add that a very good manual may be found as well at the official site here:

https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node

Donate BTC: 1EeAXetny8pdoAZ4gyhDwnoMUxoTNGyKSz
Scorpion

Activity: 887
Merit: 516

Bitcoin OG

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:07:50 AM

Here is a visual the 12,500 + nodes running all across of the world. We can do even better than this, just get the Bitcoin Core and the full block is about 145GB right now if you have good internet you can probably sync up within a day or two we can full resist and squash this unwanted SegWit2x mumbo-jumbo. It's disheartening some companies that I enjoy services from actually agreed to this without considering the full ramifications but the good thing is my Bitcoin is in my OWN personal care and personal wallet.

Peace and love my friends,
Scorpion

jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 09:14:45 AM

Sound idea. Count me in. With Bitcoin being decentralized, us, the users, are really the only ones who can dictate where and how it moves forward. We should not let a single entity decide for us as a whole. These hostile takeovers are getting old.

That being said, it's sad how there are very few people who are willing to take a stand. They're standing by waiting for the victor to emerge. I suppose that's the smart thing to do, but it woul.d just set a nasty precedent that will bite all of our asses in the end.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4485

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 09:18:42 AM

Sound idea. Count me in. With Bitcoin being decentralized, us, the users, are really the only ones who can dictate where and how it moves forward. We should not let a single entity decide for us as a whole. These hostile takeovers are getting old.

That being said, it's sad how there are very few people who are willing to take a stand. They're standing by waiting for the victor to emerge. I suppose that's the smart thing to do, but it woul.d just set a nasty precedent that will bite all of our asses in the end.

lol so your taking a stance against centralisation is to be a sheep and only use a node from a single centralised source.. where the proposals for upgrades are moderated to the extreme and idea's closed within 24 hours if it does not fit the blockstream roadmap..

it seems many have not understood the real underlying problem or the true meaning of decentralisation

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
bubblebit

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 09:29:55 AM

I think I need to figure it out myself on how to do it and if I have to give time then for bitcoin, I will. I’m not a fan of forking even this Segwit2x that’s highly supported by some exchanges even worried about reading Coinbase announcement about this coming fork. Miners always and mostly support this kind of thing maybe if incentives.

I would likely to run this full core node if I can, surely I will call a friend for this one. My mentor actually on some bitcoin issue and I’m sure he knows about this coding and how to run it.
Bestcoin-fan

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 02:58:49 PM

Running bitcoin core full node is actually very simple. The only possible difficulties may be not enough free space on hard drive - then you may use a pruned blockchain data. Another possible problem may be too slow initial blockchain data syncing (downloading). Then you may download the whole blockchain data from my Google drives, for example, see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2321650

freebutcaged

Activity: 588
Merit: 541

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:04:58 PM

lol so your taking a stance against centralisation is to be a sheep and only use a node from a single centralised source.. where the proposals for upgrades are moderated to the extreme and idea's closed within 24 hours if it does not fit the blockstream roadmap..

it seems many have not understood the real underlying problem or the true meaning of decentralisation
Haven't seeing you around for a while mate, I suppose every time one of your buddies trying to hostile take over the Bitcoin you'll show up to defend

Diversification and teaching us about decentralization, from your point of view, we should support more than one version of Bitcoin software, aren't we

Already doing what you always wanted? Bch, Btg and now B2x. all prone to fail in the long run.
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:10:14 PM

Running Bitcoin Core full node is what many of us can do, and what we should do to support the great true Bitcoin network!

The more Bitcoin Core full nodes, the better!

I'd like to add that a very good manual may be found as well at the official site here:

https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node

While 1 MB blocks can handle the current amount of transactions, it is pretty short sighted to think it can continue the way it is going.

Of course segwit introduced a block saving feature by stripping out certain information and segregating it. But you need to understand segwit has an anyone can spend problem now that bitcoin cash does not have. Of course bitcoin cash has other problems, but in years from now the anyone can spend is going to be used by someone and it is going to turn bitcoin upside down and make it crash just like MTGOX.

People think, "why would anyone do something to make BTC crash?", look at MTGOX and other exchanges that are hacked. When they are hacked price goes down. When some miners decide to do the anyone can spend attack, they will be greedy and take all coins that have been used in segwit transactions. Even regular miners not on the segwit chain or in altcoins could attack the chain if there was enough profit to do so, the only reason they don't is because of the incentives of fees/block rewards, which 2x gives less of a fee per block(so expect it to be attacked/not given enough hash to survive).

cryptopher1

Activity: 96
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 09:33:28 PM

Here is a visual the 12,500 + nodes running all across of the world. We can do even better than this, just get the Bitcoin Core and the full block is about 145GB right now if you have good internet you can probably sync up within a day or two we can full resist and squash this unwanted SegWit2x mumbo-jumbo. It's disheartening some companies that I enjoy services from actually agreed to this without considering the full ramifications but the good thing is my Bitcoin is in my OWN personal care and personal wallet.

https://i.imgur.com/PzLxezd.jpg
Peace and love my friends,
Scorpion

Europe and North America got this thing.
patt0
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1005

Betting Championship betking.io/sports-leaderboard

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 09:47:08 PM

I definitely support the Bitcoin Core team, but right now I don't have a spare PC to run a full node, and I don't have the free 145GB to download the entire blockchain. And the guys behind the setwit2x want an even bigger blocksize? That is simple not the solution, since the size would have to be increase again in a later future, and less people will be able to run full nodes like that. Are there any estimates on when the LN will be implemented?

I also read somewhere that LTC already had LN, or at least it was successfully tested there in the past. If this is true, why is it taking so long to get implemented into bitcoin?

xBitHodler

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:00:58 PM

I'm also thinking of setting up a full node. I would like to contribute to this wonderful community. Does anyone here run a full node on a raspberry pi? I have a spare hard drive but I don't have any computer part laying around. I would like to support Bitcoin Core development team because I understand the threat which is SegWit2x.
Bestcoin-fan

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 05:00:30 AM

While 1 MB blocks can handle the current amount of transactions, it is pretty short sighted to think it can continue the way it is going.

Of course segwit introduced a block saving feature by stripping out certain information and segregating it. But you need to understand segwit has an anyone can spend problem now that bitcoin cash does not have. Of course bitcoin cash has other problems, but in years from now the anyone can spend is going to be used by someone and it is going to turn bitcoin upside down and make it crash just like MTGOX.

People think, "why would anyone do something to make BTC crash?", look at MTGOX and other exchanges that are hacked. When they are hacked price goes down. When some miners decide to do the anyone can spend attack, they will be greedy and take all coins that have been used in segwit transactions. Even regular miners not on the segwit chain or in altcoins could attack the chain if there was enough profit to do so, the only reason they don't is because of the incentives of fees/block rewards, which 2x gives less of a fee per block(so expect it to be attacked/not given enough hash to survive).

Segwit might have the disadvantages you specify, but increasing block sizes is definitely NOT the solution all the more so.

I'm also thinking of setting up a full node. I would like to contribute to this wonderful community. Does anyone here run a full node on a raspberry pi? I have a spare hard drive but I don't have any computer part laying around. I would like to support Bitcoin Core development team because I understand the threat which is SegWit2x.

In the other similar thread  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2303869  there were some who run full nodes with raspberry Pi, may do some research

newbie-hero

Activity: 518

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 12:19:08 PM

I just set up a full listening bitcoin core node in an effort to support the BTC network, the core developer team, and as a way to fight back against the S2X fork. Anyone else out there who can run a full node and wishes to support the core team should try to do the same.

I simply followed the instructions from this thread, it was pretty easy.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1282073.0

Make sure that you are running the node before the fork and afterwards for as long as possible.

Long live BTC

Thank you for this information. I will do it either. However, do not you think that people dealing with BTC are simply panic stricken on the coming S2X fork? Do you believe it will influence Bitcoin rate?
Bestcoin-fan

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 03:04:27 PM

Thank you for this information. I will do it either. However, do not you think that people dealing with BTC are simply panic stricken on the coming S2X fork? Do you believe it will influence Bitcoin rate?
No panic, no. But we shouldn't both overestimate and underestimate the threat from 2x miners and exchangers.
Everyone must do what he can do to support the Bitcoin Core team and the true Bitcoin. Best of the best if he can afford his own mining pool, if not, let him run the Bitcoin core full node at least, and stop using coinbase, xapo, bitpay services.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: